Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:40:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Old hands, what is your current engagement level?  (Read 2013 times)
gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 08:58:30 PM

Now that every single person here is quite stunningly rich, at least for tonight, has your level of engagement with crypto land plateaued a little or are you as turned on as ever?

Are you increasing your portfolios with wonderful shitcoins, staying put completely, selling like mad or too busy with ladyboys wiping their posteriors on your faces?

Speaking for myself the prices are now so far beyond where I began and there are now so many projects that I'm just sitting there and observing more than anything. The social science side of it is more interesting than ever, but the market bit feels a tad surreal now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 09:09:00 PM

Not sure if I fit in the category of old hands (bought my first coins between $20-$25 back in early 2013), but I am mainly focusing on trading my coin count up, as I have always been doing - nothing changed in that regard. Bitcoin is the only asset I have in my crypto portfolio, and that's more than enough. What do I need shitcoins for, when I have the Gold on top of the Gold already. Smiley I swallowed a large loss due to the BTC-E shutdown, but I am destined to gain everything back with trading in the coming years. For now, that's my only priority.
pharesim

Activity: 423
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 09:13:25 PM

I prefer to trade with safe coins and good pairs just like eth/btc xmr/btc or just in case some rare altcoins that are profitable.
i dont put more than 5% of my portfolio into one operation.
at the moment i am buying some fancton and ark. looking for buying some NEO but i dont know if it will be profitable or not.
gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 09:14:46 PM

Not sure if I fit in the category of old hands (bought my first coins between $20-$25 back in early 2013),

As admitting to that buy in level would make most here cream their knickers, that certainly makes you venerable in my book at least.
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 09:21:26 PM

Now that every single person here is quite stunningly rich, at least for tonight, has your level of engagement with crypto land plateaued a little or are you as turned on as ever?

Are you increasing your portfolios with wonderful shitcoins, staying put completely, selling like mad or too busy with ladyboys wiping their posteriors on your faces?

Speaking for myself the prices are now so far beyond where I began and there are now so many projects that I'm just sitting there and observing more than anything. The social science side of it is more interesting than ever, but the market bit feels a tad surreal now.

If you didnt make decent topics, I wouldnt have anything to respond to. If i have to explain "why bitcoin important in your life" or "when will bitcoin be legal" again I will divest. Good work, gentle sir.

Here is the strategy for a day trader/long term holder:

the shitcoins are wonderful nowadays. the volatility is free money essentially; one day everyone will understand these market are pure manipulation. i look for eth icos with promise; that is they show me a real world use for the blockchain and the ability to generate value (shameless shill plug; bitJob.io). ICOs want your money, for scrip. Since they are willing to give you a 40% bonus in scrip for early adoption, you could do worse than buying into a decent project and waiting. despite token values as of late (the mini eth crash took alot of cap from the markets)

look at high cap coins that are cheap. if its been in the top 20 for more than a few weeks, but has been around for more than 1 year, it will go up. not really a reflection of the value of the asset, some idiot will pump it because its a valid strategy in this sphere. To be specific, i deem ripple, doge, ltc and xmr/zcash undervalued. i will make a specific point about DOGE; simply observe the doge/btc chart(meta). Look at that pattern. Duh. Now plan accordingly.

dice based eth tokens are a sure winner. you probably remember satoshidice. again, plan accordingly. this would include skin coin, and by a stretch wings, as it is essentially a gamble/prediction market.

look for icos that have issued, but have nt achieved their first dev milestone. investor confidence plummets after the initial interest/fomo spike; its basically half off the ico price about a month after it issues. if its truly a shit token dont bother, but if you missed out on the ico its a golden oppurtunity.

there are a few independent blockchain coins that are worth it. I cant give that away Wink look at the team, not the concept. valuation doesnt reflect utility here, it reflects trust. barely, LOL.

and lastly, hold. if you have not educated yourself (talking to the board) about how to trade (take a class at your cc, I did, and read all you can on the webs), you probably shouldnt trade. yes, there is op cost in holding and not following the dips. but time has proven unless you are an educated trader, the rare spike you see wil be offset by so much hurt. take it from me. i have lost more crypto that most people on this board have held.**

and I kick myself in the ass about it every morning I wake up and check the prices.

i treat eth/btc as primary value stores. that is, when I take profit, it gets converted to 25% native token/75% eth or btc. has never failed me yet.

additional shameless plug:

ChipMixer Smiley Because they mix your coins, and pay one of my utility bills Wink

** i went all in on NEOBEE. and if I see Danny Brewster in the streetz, Im gonna stomp on him.
cashodler

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 09:24:49 PM

I prefer to trade with safe coins and good pairs just like eth/btc xmr/btc or just in case some rare altcoins that are profitable.
i dont put more than 5% of my portfolio into one operation.
at the moment i am buying some fancton and ark. looking for buying some NEO but i dont know if it will be profitable or not.

Buy OMG if you can, NEO has no future.
gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 09:33:11 PM

Take those pert burns and youthful enthusiasm elsewhere. This thread is for people in their rocking chair by the fire with their dog wrapped around their ankles. And their prostate in a glass on the table.
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 09:55:00 PM

Nice thread topic gentlemand!

Even though I've been around a while, I feel weird thinking I'm an old hand since when I started posting there were still people in the spec subforum posting regularly from 2011. Now most of those accounts went silent.

I like to stay involved with the discussions here so it's really the only reason I still post. In terms of how I feel, I've pretty much been a Bitcoin permabull and maximalist from the beginning, because to me Bitcoin meets all the criteria for the attributes of a sound, decentralized form of digital money and store of value and that is why it has stayed so popular. I am not really at all interested in investing in any of the other so-called digital currencies because I feel they don't fundamentally fit the criteria of what a true 'digital currency' should be. Perhaps "speculative tech tokens" is a better term for them.

This amazing Bitcoin rise does feel surreal to me, but for some reason it still feels 3 years late from when I though it would take off like this. Fundamentally Bitcoin has not really changed at all since I became involved in 2013, so why the sudden popularity and massive increase now?

Plenty of people knew about it back then, but mostly just scoffed and laughed. I seriously doubt they are laughing as much now. But I believe that one thing has changed. In the early years, Bitcoin was purely a speculative-based trade, something for traders to pump and make a few bucks. Now I believe something more ominous may be at work.... a fear-based trade as a hedge. When the price hits $5-10K and the Average Joes find out that deep pocket Wall Street and banking hedge funds are pouring massive amounts of money into bitcoin as a safe haven, then Average Joe better quickly start asking themselves why.... and why now? They just need to look on the immediate horizon in the next 6-12 months, and they should find their answer.

In the meantime, I'm just curiously watching it all and feeling surreal. I'm sure that feeling is going to get crazier over the next 12 months.
GreenBits
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 10:12:12 PM

Take those pert burns and youthful enthusiasm elsewhere. This thread is for people in their rocking chair by the fire with their dog wrapped around their ankles. And their prostate in a glass on the table.

I raised my cane to that, LOL.
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 10:19:47 PM

Not sure if I fit in the category of old hands (bought my first coins between $20-$25 back in early 2013), but I am mainly focusing on trading my coin count up, as I have always been doing - nothing changed in that regard. Bitcoin is the only asset I have in my crypto portfolio, and that's more than enough. What do I need shitcoins for, when I have the Gold on top of the Gold already. Smiley I swallowed a large loss due to the BTC-E shutdown, but I am destined to gain everything back with trading in the coming years. For now, that's my only priority.
can you suggest a simple trading formula to increase BTC count?

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
steelboy

Activity: 756
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 10:32:24 PM

Selling dribs and drabs but holding 90%. Absolutely loving 2017.
spiderbrain
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1013

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 10:48:34 PM

I've sold a some to try and keep my crypto holding around 80%, holding a little ETH, ZEC and DASH on the side, and shopping for land. Good times Smiley

duke944

Activity: 546
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 10:54:26 PM

gentlemanland your assumption that everyone who saw and started dabbling in crypto 3 years ago is now rich is really fucking flawed. But, if you are reading this and haven't jumped in it's not too late.
gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 10:58:22 PM

gentlemanland your assumption that everyone who saw and started dabbling in crypto 3 years ago is now rich is really fucking flawed. But, if you are reading this and haven't jumped in it's not too late.

What? What the hell have they been up to?

I assume more than a few who started dabbling 3-4 years ago gave up in despair during the great trough. And people who got in after them are actually considerably further ahead in terms of buy in.

The current golden children would be anyone who loaded up in 2015 - 50c ETH, 25c XMR, $250 BTC. They cut out all the shit and went direct to an endless orgasm.
duke944

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 11:00:34 PM

I assume more than a few who started dabbling 3-4 years ago gave up in despair during the great trough. And people who got in after them are actually considerably further ahead in terms of buy in.

The current golden children would be anyone who loaded up in 2015 - 50c ETH, 25c XMR, $250 BTC. They cut out all the shit and went direct to an endless orgasm.

Not too many joined bitcoin when things looked dead. The current golden children are now, more so than 2015. Who has the balls to buy in 2017 and hold for 3 years, and there will be a lot of them, will be the golden children.
thecodebear

Activity: 2100
Merit: 813

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 11:28:17 PM

yes exactly haha. i started buying during the late-2013 bubble until summer of 2014. day traded away most of my bitcoins, finally sold the few i had left at bitcoins lowest point in 2015. Basically I did everything wrong haha.

Didn't think about bitcoin much from then until this year, started buying again the past few months, starting from zero Sad, and I've already well over doubled my investment this year. very happy! I'm not old hands, but I plan on continuing to buy some monthly until the end of next year.
Bitcoinaire

Activity: 696
Merit: 439

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 11:48:34 PM
Last edit: August 15, 2017, 01:51:41 PM by Bitcoinaire

Not too many joined bitcoin when things looked dead. The current golden children are now, more so than 2015. Who has the balls to buy in 2017 and hold for 3 years, and there will be a lot of them, will be the golden children.

I was here before the second bubble in 2013 and that was a wild ride.

Edit: Bubble
duke944

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 11:53:51 PM

yes exactly haha. i started buying during the late-2013 bubble until summer of 2014. day traded away most of my bitcoins, finally sold the few i had left at bitcoins lowest point in 2015. Basically I did everything wrong haha.

Didn't think about bitcoin much from then until this year, started buying again the past few months, starting from zero Sad, and I've already well over doubled my investment this year. very happy! I'm not old hands, but I plan on continuing to buy some monthly until the end of next year.

Stop trading and just buy and hold and you may have another chance. Continue with this mindset and you will again be telling this story at $50k/btc.
GreenBits
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2017, 12:37:24 AM

your hands are fucking ancient, my friend.

keep your faith about the btce shutdown. I have a theory about this; suffice it to say you will get your money back, but very laterish. the upside will be that bitcoin will have gone up a bit. take that as an indication of how long its going to take. but, allow the lawyers to do their job. the majority of users have no criminal complicity in whatever happened there, and can prove it. this means the US has caused you damages, esp if you live outside the States. If you can prove you are a good faith user, and complied to the TOS, you essentially have had your money stolen by the US. I dont think im the only one that realizes this, so allow it to sink in for the rest of the world. The lawsuits will come. And they will come like a wrecking ball.

And eventually, just maybe, you will be reunited with your fundage.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 12, 2017, 01:15:49 AM

I'm not in suspended disbelief or anything, just quietly thrilled about my financial standing compared to those around me in my daily life. These people all knew/know about me and crypto but I'd never give them any ballpark figures. Divested double digit coins to pay off student loans and I'm currently messing around w/ modest stacks of populous and veritaseum in addition to my originals.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: