News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will Bitcoin reach $1,000,000
YES
NO

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $1,000,000 for a Bitcoin?  (Read 7575 times)
nicolazza

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 11:35:32 PM

yeah i dont know about future of dollar, lets say that 1 btc will be worth a second hand car  Cool
bitsalame
Donator

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

Preaching the gospel of Satoshi

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:03:16 AM

Why such a question in the first place? Total amount of bitcoin is limited, and total amount of dollar is growing forever, so does economy/debt, it is the most sure thing to happen, just no one knows how long it gonna take

This.

/Thread

If that happens, it will be a hyperdeflation and it will be the beginning of the death of bitcoins.
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

no, bitcoin will never reach $1M.  and i am never wrong.
bitsalame
Donator

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:08:19 AM
Last edit: May 19, 2013, 10:30:34 PM by bitsalame

no, bitcoin will never reach $1M.  and i am never wrong.
A powerful argument lol
uMMcQxCWELNzkt

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:17:02 AM
Last edit: May 19, 2013, 02:12:04 AM by owenprescott

no, bitcoin will never reach $1M.  and i am never wrong.

Except that time when when the girl you met in that bar turned out to be a man.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:56:08 AM

Why such a question in the first place? Total amount of bitcoin is limited, and total amount of dollar is growing forever, so does economy/debt, it is the most sure thing to happen, just no one knows how long it gonna take
There are two halves to "supply and demand," of course, and you might be forgetting the latter. If there's a better product than Bitcoin, or if users lose interest in it for some other reason - it's very possible BTC will hit $0 way before we come close even to $1,000.
mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:05:55 AM

Bitcoin will be lucky to hit $250 again.

Let's start small.
Franktank

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:26:45 AM

The logic behind this point is overwhelming...
Terpie

Activity: 174
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 02:37:54 AM

Anyone saying BTC will be worth anything other than $0 or $10,000+ in 3+ years is delusional.

To do a proper analysis, you need to speculate on the % of the market of total broad money that BTC holds.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2215rank.html

It appears there is something like $70+ trillion of broad money stock from all countries. It seems a very optimistic view for the 5-10 year horizon would be for BTC to gain 2-10% of broad money.

2% of broad money = $1.4 trillion market cap = $66,666/BTC (21 million coins)

10% of broad money = $7 trillion market cap = $333,000/BTC

BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 02:59:31 AM

The real question is will $1,000,000 ever be worth 1 Bitcoin again once we overtake.

Interesting way to look at it.  There might come a day when we do not even care about what a "dollar" is worth.  It will be about how much BTC it costs, really.  So, the question is, will I be able to buy a really nice house for 1 BTC?  If so, I might be able to buy a few at that price!  Grin

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
awakening

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 03:03:33 AM

theres no option for 140

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 11:44:29 AM

Good, sentiment is renormalizing.
WishIStartedSooner

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 12:33:15 PM

yeah i dont know about future of dollar, lets say that 1 btc will be worth a second hand car  Cool

I like this.

That's when I'll sell the first little bit I have and pay off my debts and keep a nestegg.
Exoskeleton

Activity: 338
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 04:08:32 PM

I like this.

That's when I'll sell the first little bit I have and pay off my debts and keep a nestegg.

Have a back up plan  Wink
Valerian77

Activity: 437
Merit: 255

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 04:36:18 PM

Too many dreamers are in here.

FIrstly BTC suffers a lot from its volatility.  If BTC raises too fast to high values that will be worth and finally its value will drop. I set a grow limit at 10% per month - everything beyond that is not good anymore. For long term that means BTC cannot grow more than 200% each year - means the exchange rate at the middle of next year will be around 1 BTC eq 300 USD.

ANd this Szenario already presumes that the rate itself is held more or less stable. That again presumes no effective government attacks and a limited speculation.

My recommendation is everybody starts to trade BTC on the current price base over  https://localbitcoins.com keeping the coins in the market will stabilize the course.
David Rabahy

Activity: 709
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 05:04:37 PM

Human beings tend to be just terrible at predicting things like this.  The first step is to admit we really do not know then we can start guessing realizing they are just guesses.

I've written an expression down that represents a number between 0 and 1,000,000.  If you can guess it then I'll give you a prize.  I'll give you a hint; it isn't an integer.  Anyone that thinks they can predict the number is fooling themselves but it can be fun guessing and rationalizing the guess.  Also, note the prize is variable; if the exchange rate between today's Bitcoin and today's US dollar goes to $0 then you can have all of my Bitcoins leftover at the moment it dies.  If the rate does top $1,000,000 then the prize will be 1 BTC.
John Self

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 07:46:52 PM

Economics fail.

14GXJ3Q16PJNNF6v4iyxhvuhacuhvckMym
bitsalame
Donator

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 10:29:16 PM

Human beings tend to be just terrible at predicting things like this.  The first step is to admit we really do not know then we can start guessing realizing they are just guesses.

I've written an expression down that represents a number between 0 and 1,000,000.  If you can guess it then I'll give you a prize.  I'll give you a hint; it isn't an integer.  Anyone that thinks they can predict the number is fooling themselves but it can be fun guessing and rationalizing the guess.  Also, note the prize is variable; if the exchange rate between today's Bitcoin and today's US dollar goes to $0 then you can have all of my Bitcoins leftover at the moment it dies.  If the rate does top $1,000,000 then the prize will be 1 BTC.

Your challenge is not applicable: market is governed by society, society is composed by humans, and human behavior is far from random.
In fact, it is quite predictable if you have the accurate variables and models.

Using your example: It is not about arbitrarily setting a number, but having a set of obscure and complex rules for the generation of this number between 0 and a million. If you give me enough time with this black box I will be able to approximate very closely and predict the next numbers.
Maybe not exact, but good enough.

That's how social sciences work, and the black box is our human mind.
We have enough empirical information about human behavior to estimate a possible outcome under certain variables.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 11:47:22 PM

There are two halves to "supply and demand," of course, and you might be forgetting the latter. If there's a better product than Bitcoin, or if users lose interest in it for some other reason - it's very possible BTC will hit $0 way before we come close even to $1,000.

A good point: "Users lose interest". The interest for anything could be lost and cause the value to drop. (I just bought an air conditioner with $200 and found out that it is terribly loud, I lost the intrest immediately and now wanted to sell it for $100)

But why don't people lose the interest for USD? Because it has universal equivalent property, unless they totally lost the intrest for everything, money can always exchange something they are interested in

So does bitcoin, if bitcoin can be used to buy anything in the world, then the interest for bitcoin will be higher than fiat money due to limited supply and ease of use, low fee, international payment... many advantages

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 11:55:34 PM

The real question is will $1,000,000 ever be worth 1 Bitcoin again once we overtake.

Interesting way to look at it.  There might come a day when we do not even care about what a "dollar" is worth.  It will be about how much BTC it costs, really.  So, the question is, will I be able to buy a really nice house for 1 BTC?  If so, I might be able to buy a few at that price!  Grin

I just checked the April data, about 5 million houses sold each year

If all the real estate agencies accept bitcoin payments, then the total amount of coins are not enough to buy all the houses from a couple of years production

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: