Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:15:58 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: World War III and BTC  (Read 7424 times)
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 12:18:53 PM

It's not as obvious as you make it seem, just like it isn't obvious that the man who discovered the wheel is the father of automotive industry.  "Nuclear fission of heavy elements was discovered in 1938 by Lise Meitner, Otto Hahn, Fritz Strassmann, and Otto Robert Frisch." -wikip, Fermi set up the first "reactor" at UC in '42.  Einstein's role at this point was mainly political, he was the Big Cheese in the field, and his letter in support of developing a nuclear weapon was prompted by Germany's nuclear weapons research.  His warning made the threat more viable, that's all.  
If you mean the whole atomic age wouldn't have been possible without the neat formula, i can't argue against that -- a car would be impossible if someone hasn't invented the wheel first.
Well the thing that I am trying to say is while the development of a nuclear reactor is kind of "scientific grunt work" since the theories and speculations had already been made. All they needed was to put the pieces together and make it work more or less.

What Albert did however with discovering E=MC^2 was a revolutionary way of thinking. Putting the importance it has on everything else aside it told of unimaginable quantities of energy that could be unleashed from matter. It was not that radioactivity divided atoms but that it could produce scary amounts of energy. Without this breakthrough in thinking it would take years or perhaps decades until we would get there with ordinary science. Albert Einstine could singlehandedly be responsible for the Manhattan project not starting this year instead of back during WW2.

I'm not disputing Einstein's brilliance, and E=mc2 is certainly a neat package.  The only thing we don't agree on is the matter of degree.  It's not something i can logically argue, just a matter of opinion.

For instance, i agree with this:
"E = mc2 has sometimes been used as an explanation for the origin of energy in nuclear processes, but mass–energy equivalence does not explain the origin of such energies. Instead, this relationship merely indicates that the large amounts of energy released in such reactions may exhibit enough mass that the mass-loss may be measured, when the released energy (and its mass) have been removed from the system." -- wikip again, sorry 'bout that, it's just so darn handy.

Einstein came up with that relationship way back in 1905, almost 40 years before things started jumping -- another thing to consider.  But i don't even think we disagree.  Just semantics.
ghostlander
Legendary

Activity: 1239
Merit: 1020

No surrender, no retreat, no regret.

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 12:20:22 PM

The United States can't afford a full scale assault on either China or Russia. They don't seem to have enough resources even to invade Iran which is a much easier target.

"If you've got a problem and have to spread some coins to make it go away, you've got no problem. You've got an expence." ~ Phoenixcoin (PXC) and Orbitcoin (ORB) and Halcyon (HAL)
crumbs

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 12:33:07 PM

If the US wanted to go to war with Russia and China (to "liberate the people and bring democracy" of course) they would have to borrow insane amounts of money (because war is very expensive). And guess who the biggest creditor is to the US? Right: China. Grin

Just to sum up, you're saying that US can't afford to start a war with China without borrowing "insane amounts of money" from China?  Which China is unlikely to lend to US 'coz US is such a deadbeat?

So instead the Fed would have to print even bigger piles of dollars to finance the war. Which would crash the US economy before any American soldiers set foot on Russian and Chinese soil.

Here's the funny bit:  If you assume US is currently responsible for her debt to China, printing boatloads of $$$ is perfectly reasonable to fund that war:  After all, if China is defeated, US will be debt-free! Cheesy +1 for enlightened agression Shocked
crumbs

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 12:38:51 PM

The United States can't afford a full scale assault on either China or Russia. They don't seem to have enough resources even to invade Iran which is a much easier target.

US needs exactly $0 to turn either China or Russia into molten glass.  She already has the nukes, it's just a question of key-fiddling & button-pushin'.  The reason it's not on the agenda is neither $$$ nor the inherent decency of peace-loving Americans.  US is simply a bit put off by the prospect of being turned into molten glass herself.   Cheesy
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 12:42:36 PM

US needs exactly $0 to turn either China or Russia into molten glass.  She already has the nukes, it's just a question of key-fiddling & button-pushin'.  The reason it's not on the agenda is neither $$$ nor the inherent decency of peace-loving Americans.  US is simply a bit put off by the prospect of being turned into molten glass herself.   Cheesy
The amount of money they spend on military is immense. They spend to protect, not to start nuking other countries and start a war that'll force the Earth into a nuclear winter.

crumbs

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 12:51:45 PM

The amount of money they spend on military is immense. They spend to protect, not to start nuking other countries and start a war that'll force the Earth into a nuclear winter.

I'm not disputing that.  Just pointing out that claiming "US can't [financially] afford to start a war" is ludicrous.
Dasneko

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 12:52:31 PM

It's not as obvious as you make it seem, just like it isn't obvious that the man who discovered the wheel is the father of automotive industry.  "Nuclear fission of heavy elements was discovered in 1938 by Lise Meitner, Otto Hahn, Fritz Strassmann, and Otto Robert Frisch." -wikip, Fermi set up the first "reactor" at UC in '42.  Einstein's role at this point was mainly political, he was the Big Cheese in the field, and his letter in support of developing a nuclear weapon was prompted by Germany's nuclear weapons research.  His warning made the threat more viable, that's all.  
If you mean the whole atomic age wouldn't have been possible without the neat formula, i can't argue against that -- a car would be impossible if someone hasn't invented the wheel first.
Well the thing that I am trying to say is while the development of a nuclear reactor is kind of "scientific grunt work" since the theories and speculations had already been made. All they needed was to put the pieces together and make it work more or less.

What Albert did however with discovering E=MC^2 was a revolutionary way of thinking. Putting the importance it has on everything else aside it told of unimaginable quantities of energy that could be unleashed from matter. It was not that radioactivity divided atoms but that it could produce scary amounts of energy. Without this breakthrough in thinking it would take years or perhaps decades until we would get there with ordinary science. Albert Einstine could singlehandedly be responsible for the Manhattan project not starting this year instead of back during WW2.

I'm not disputing Einstein's brilliance, and E=mc2 is certainly a neat package.  The only thing we don't agree on is the matter of degree.  It's not something i can logically argue, just a matter of opinion.

"E = mc2 has sometimes been used as an explanation for the origin of energy in nuclear processes, but mass–energy equivalence does not explain the origin of such energies. Instead, this relationship merely indicates that the large amounts of energy released in such reactions may exhibit enough mass that the mass-loss may be measured, when the released energy (and its mass) have been removed from the system." -- wikip again, sorry 'bout that, it's just so darn handy.

Einstein came up with that relationship way back in 1905, almost 40 years before things started jumping -- another thing to consider.  But i don't even think we disagree.  Just semantics.

Its funny how people think E=MC^2 is only limited to nukes and reactors. (while its off topic) If you ask me the most important thing it achieved was to get one major step closer to a unified theory of everything.

They always said war is the mother of all inventions. Before the war science was actually quite slow so 40 year old tech was still considered fairly new. Its during and right after the war that the explosion of inventions and discoveries took place. In a way WW2 catapulted the world into the year 2000.
crumbs

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 01:07:37 PM

Its funny how people think E=MC^2 is only limited to nukes and reactors. (while its off topic) If you ask me the most important thing it achieved was to get one major step closer to a unified theory of everything.

They always said war is the mother of all inventions. Before the war science was actually quite slow so 40 year old tech was still considered fairly new. Its during and right after the war that the explosion of inventions and discoveries took place. In a way WW2 catapulted the world into the year 2000.

That 40 years was actually an incredibly productive time, though it doesn't prove you wrong -- there was that *other big war*. Cheesy

Dasneko

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 01:26:37 PM

That 40 years was actually an incredibly productive time, though it doesn't prove you wrong -- there was that *other big war*. Cheesy

Hehe you got me there and what can i say? Everything is relative.
TomUnderSea

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 08:58:23 PM

I would like to draw your attention to a specific man. Albert Einstein. A German and father to Nuclear energy and the Atomic bomb. The Nuclear reactor itself and the components for it was developed all around the world and the first Nuclear power plant was built in Russia. Its clear as day that whatever development America did was not a critical discovery meaning it was going to be rapidly discovered by someone else if America had not gotten to it first. If anything America might have saved a year or two of time and I am being generous here.

I'm not bored enough to deal with the rest of your false statements but I loved the one above.

Perhaps you could detail exactly what role Albert Einstein played in the Manhattan Project?

To make it a little easier for you to answer this question I am providing a link to the wikipedia article.  When you are finished reading that, please continue on to the list of sources and references at the bottom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Project

Do a word search for Albert and you will find that they got his singature as support to even start the project. Its under the fucking "origins" for crying out loud. Ever heard of E=MC^2? Yeah... He is the father of Fission (manhattan project and beyond) and Fusion (the next generation of nuclear power plants) and the person that bound the world of energy to the world of matter. He is the single most important person in the invention of the Nuke. How more clear do i have to be?

Amazing.  All that emotion and yet not any clear understanding of the question much less an accurate answer.  ALL that he did was sign a letter, written by someone else.

The Manhattan Project was not done when the ink dried on AE's signature.  To credit AE with building the atomic bomb ignores a vast amount of work that was done to move from theory to practice.  Perhaps you have heard of the man who provides us this quote:

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.”  ― Albert Einstein

So which isotope separation scheme did AE develop?  Which bomb design did he work on?  How many times did he visit Los Alamos, Oak Ridge, or even Alamogordo?

What?  The "Father of the Atom Bomb" some dude named J. Robert Oppenheimer??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Robert_Oppenheimer

WTF dude, how did that happen?

BTW, who is this dude Enrico Fermi?  He seems to have gotten his name down for "Father of the nuclear reactor."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enrico_Fermi

Looks like that second rate education they pass out in US high schools glossed over a few pertinent facts.

Every little BTC helps.  14P3TfbttSpQ3BxUjwrUrmNU6F4mB9aMS5
Dasneko

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 09:17:04 PM

I would like to draw your attention to a specific man. Albert Einstein. A German and father to Nuclear energy and the Atomic bomb. The Nuclear reactor itself and the components for it was developed all around the world and the first Nuclear power plant was built in Russia. Its clear as day that whatever development America did was not a critical discovery meaning it was going to be rapidly discovered by someone else if America had not gotten to it first. If anything America might have saved a year or two of time and I am being generous here.

I'm not bored enough to deal with the rest of your false statements but I loved the one above.

Perhaps you could detail exactly what role Albert Einstein played in the Manhattan Project?

To make it a little easier for you to answer this question I am providing a link to the wikipedia article.  When you are finished reading that, please continue on to the list of sources and references at the bottom.

Do a word search for Albert and you will find that they got his singature as support to even start the project. Its under the fucking "origins" for crying out loud. Ever heard of E=MC^2? Yeah... He is the father of Fission (manhattan project and beyond) and Fusion (the next generation of nuclear power plants) and the person that bound the world of energy to the world of matter. He is the single most important person in the invention of the Nuke. How more clear do i have to be?

Amazing.  All that emotion and yet not any clear understanding of the question much less an accurate answer.  ALL that he did was sign a letter, written by someone else.

The Manhattan Project was not done when the ink dried on AE's signature.  To credit AE with building the atomic bomb ignores a vast amount of work that was done to move from theory to practice.  Perhaps you have heard of the man who provides us this quote:

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.”  ― Albert Einstein

So which isotope separation scheme did AE develop?  Which bomb design did he work on?  How many times did he visit Los Alamos, Oak Ridge, or even Alamogordo?

What?  The "Father of the Atom Bomb" some dude named J. Robert Oppenheimer??

BTW, who is this dude Enrico Fermi?  He seems to have gotten his name down for "Father of the nuclear reactor."

Looks like that second rate education they pass out in US high schools glossed over a few pertinent facts.

I kind of find it insulting that you think I am from America. I wonder if that is wrong of me?

Speaking of which you mentioned something about not understanding the question. Did it ever strike your mind that perhaps you did not understand my answer?
“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” If all he had to do was sign a letter why did it have to be Albert Einstein? It was not the act of signing the letter which was important but his signing that it was possible.

You asked me what role he played. He was the one that gave them the idea and showed them how. You mentioned something about the large amount of work involved in developing the nuke and its true... Allot of GRUNT work. What they did was nothing really spectacular just something that had to be done at some point or another. You cant pretend that it required a genius to work from where Albert Einstein and those who came after him had left off.

You know what else? Albert Einstine was even the guy that warned the allies that Germany might develop a nuke and suggested that they would start a similar program.. Which became the manhattan project. Good job on making yourself out to be a fool.
crumbs

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 09:25:58 PM

I kind of find it insulting that you think I am from America. I wonder if that is wrong of me?

Only if you don't want our ICBMs & stealth bombers to bring freedom & democracy to your unenlightened country. Shocked

TomUnderSea

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 09:46:23 PM

To make it a little easier for you to answer this question I am providing a link to the wikipedia article.  When you are finished reading that, please continue on to the list of sources and references at the bottom.

Amazing.  All that emotion and yet not any clear understanding of the question much less an accurate answer.  ALL that he did was sign a letter, written by someone else.

The Manhattan Project was not done when the ink dried on AE's signature.  To credit AE with building the atomic bomb ignores a vast amount of work that was done to move from theory to practice.  Perhaps you have heard of the man who provides us this quote:

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.”  ― Albert Einstein

So which isotope separation scheme did AE develop?  Which bomb design did he work on?  How many times did he visit Los Alamos, Oak Ridge, or even Alamogordo?

What?  The "Father of the Atom Bomb" some dude named J. Robert Oppenheimer??

BTW, who is this dude Enrico Fermi?  He seems to have gotten his name down for "Father of the nuclear reactor."

Speaking of which you mentioned something about not understanding the question. Did it ever strike your mind that perhaps you did not understand my answer?
“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” If all he had to do was sign a letter why did it have to be Albert Einstein? It was not the act of signing the letter which was important but his signing that it was possible.

You asked me what role he played. He was the one that gave them the idea and showed them how. You mentioned something about the large amount of work involved in developing the nuke and its true... Allot of GRUNT work. What they did was nothing really spectacular just something that had to be done at some point or another. You cant pretend that it required a genius to work from where Albert Einstein and those who came after him had left off.

You know what else? Albert Einstine was even the guy that warned the allies that Germany might develop a nuke and suggested that they would start a similar program.. Which became the manhattan project. Good job on making yourself out to be a fool.

I see. 
You are shown to be wrong on your "father of the nuke" claim with references to the two men who _are_ the father of the atom bomb and nuclear reactor respectively.
You are provided a quote by Albert Einstein which demonstrates HIS understanding of the great effort needed to move from theory to practice, yet you profess it was simply some mechanics playing with monkey wrenches.
You seem to be convinced that if you stand there and claim you are right, it will become true.

Do you wonder why I think you are a product of a US high school? 

I figured anyone that ignorant of facts had to be a victim of the US education system since we have been informed in the very thread that everything evil, bad and wrong comes from the US.  Now you are going to tell me there is a place worse than the US?  That won't be well received around here.

Dasneko

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 10:06:42 PM

Only if you don't want our ICBMs & stealth bombers to bring freedom & democracy to your unenlightened country. Shocked

As long as you dont come during the Easter because the airforce will be away celebrating.

I see. 
You are shown to be wrong on your "father of the nuke" claim with references to the two men who _are_ the father of the atom bomb and nuclear reactor respectively.
You are provided a quote by Albert Einstein which demonstrates HIS understanding of the great effort needed to move from theory to practice, yet you profess it was simply some mechanics playing with monkey wrenches.
You seem to be convinced that if you stand there and claim you are right, it will become true.

Do you wonder why I think you are a product of a US high school? 

I figured anyone that ignorant of facts had to be a victim of the US education system since we have been informed in the very thread that everything evil, bad and wrong comes from the US.  Now you are going to tell me there is a place worse than the US?  That won't be well received around here.

Am I really wrong? Who predicted the (destructive) energy of fission? Who was the person that warned the allies and pushed them to start the Manhattan project? Who was it that created the physics used to create the nuke and who gave it the signature? He might not have been there with a monkey wrench but without Albert Einstein there would have been no Nuke to stop WW2. Everyone else is unimportant in that they could be replaced with someone else without much difference to the end result. If you want to dispute this go ahead, dig your hole deeper and deeper.
crumbs

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 10:13:26 PM

As long as you dont come during the Easter because the airforce will be away celebrating.
[...]

No worries, it's fine, just make sure to stock the pantry -- we'll make ourselves at home.
Dasneko

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 10:19:56 PM

[...]

No worries, it's fine, just make sure to stock the pantry -- we'll make ourselves at home.
Naaah.. Im sure we will be fine. You see we dont have any oil. :3
crumbs

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 10:25:14 PM

[...]

Naaah.. Im sure we will be fine. You see we dont have any oil. :3

In that case your human rights are not being violated, carry on.
TomUnderSea

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 12:43:49 AM

Am I really wrong?
Yes

Who predicted the (destructive) energy of fission? Who was the person that warned the allies and pushed them to start the Manhattan project?
Leó Szilárd
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le%C3%B3_Szil%C3%A1rd
" He conceived the nuclear chain reaction in 1933, patented the idea of a nuclear reactor with Enrico Fermi, and in late 1939 wrote the letter for Albert Einstein's signature that resulted in the Manhattan Project that built the atomic bomb. "

Who was it that created the physics used to create the nuke and who gave it the signature?

Ernest Rutherford aka "Father of Nuclear Physics"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_physics
I recommend you learn about Henri Becquerel, J. J. Thomason, Atto Hahn, James Chadwick an Marie Curie.  Once you have gained this foundation, please proceed on to Ernest Rutherford, Hans Geiger and Ernest Marsden.  From there James Chadwick, Walther Bothe, Herbert L. Becker, Irène and Frédéric Joliot-Curie would be good to add to your knowledge base.  Beyond them, you should learn about Alexandru Proca and Hideki Yukawa.

He might not have been there with a monkey wrench but without Albert Einstein there would have been no Nuke to stop WW2. Everyone else is unimportant in that they could be replaced with someone else without much difference to the end result. If you want to dispute this go ahead, dig your hole deeper and deeper.

It is good to know that you believe it was all Einstein, all the time.  That belief does not make it so.

The fact of the matter is "Einstein did not work on the Manhattan Project, the project to develop atomic bombs, because General Leslie Groves considered him to be a security risk because of his pacifist leanings, so he was assigned to work on improving conventional artillery for the U.S. Navy. Einstein had no knowledge of the atomic bomb's manufacturing, and no influence on the decision for the bomb to be dropped.[2]"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein%E2%80%93Szil%C3%A1rd_letter#cite_note-2

The real irony here is I can refute each of your statements will simple searches of _wikipedia_.  Are you sure you are not a graduate of the US education system?  Your knowledge level is on par with some of the dumbacrats that get liberal art "degrees" from various US colleges.

Dasneko

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 01:25:32 AM

Am I really wrong?
Yes

Who predicted the (destructive) energy of fission? Who was the person that warned the allies and pushed them to start the Manhattan project?
Leó Szilárd
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le%C3%B3_Szil%C3%A1rd
" He conceived the nuclear chain reaction in 1933, patented the idea of a nuclear reactor with Enrico Fermi, and in late 1939 wrote the letter for Albert Einstein's signature that resulted in the Manhattan Project that built the atomic bomb. "

Who was it that created the physics used to create the nuke and who gave it the signature?

Ernest Rutherford aka "Father of Nuclear Physics"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_physics
I recommend you learn about Henri Becquerel, J. J. Thomason, Atto Hahn, James Chadwick an Marie Curie.  Once you have gained this foundation, please proceed on to Ernest Rutherford, Hans Geiger and Ernest Marsden.  From there James Chadwick, Walther Bothe, Herbert L. Becker, Irène and Frédéric Joliot-Curie would be good to add to your knowledge base.  Beyond them, you should learn about Alexandru Proca and Hideki Yukawa.

He might not have been there with a monkey wrench but without Albert Einstein there would have been no Nuke to stop WW2. Everyone else is unimportant in that they could be replaced with someone else without much difference to the end result. If you want to dispute this go ahead, dig your hole deeper and deeper.

It is good to know that you believe it was all Einstein, all the time.  That belief does not make it so.

The fact of the matter is "Einstein did not work on the Manhattan Project, the project to develop atomic bombs, because General Leslie Groves considered him to be a security risk because of his pacifist leanings, so he was assigned to work on improving conventional artillery for the U.S. Navy. Einstein had no knowledge of the atomic bomb's manufacturing, and no influence on the decision for the bomb to be dropped.[2]"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein%E2%80%93Szil%C3%A1rd_letter#cite_note-2

The real irony here is I can refute each of your statements will simple searches of _wikipedia_.  Are you sure you are not a graduate of the US education system?  Your knowledge level is on par with some of the dumbacrats that get liberal art "degrees" from various US colleges.

So what you actually mean is Leó Szilárd who is a collaborator with none other then Albert Einstein? Also there is a huge difference between a nuclear chain reaction and a bomb so I have no idea why you are even trying to drag that into our conversation.

Its astounding how you attribute parts of the development of the nuke to people dead long before it even began and who even did not contribute more then a basic understanding of nuclear layout. Yet you completely dismiss Albert Einstein which has clear links both in theories and even connections to the project and people working with it. Its like you have a double standard but that cant be true (/sarcasm). Ernest Rutherford never did anything complicated enough to be of direct help to the manhattan project anyway so its about as valid as giving the credit to Aristotle. Just because he holds a title does not mean that everything done afterwards needs to be credited to him you know.

*sighs* Anyway you have yet to even grasp the simplest part of my answer and I am getting quite tired of your quite frankly pathetic display of "intellectual superiority".
TomUnderSea

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 01:43:38 AM

Also there is a huge difference between a nuclear chain reaction and a bomb so I have no idea why you are even trying to drag that into our conversation.

Wow.

Simply.

Wow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_chain_reaction

That you would even attempt to claim that a nuclear chain reaction has nothing to do with a nuclear weapon is simply mind boggling.

I don't know where you are from, what your education is or why you persist in exposing your ignorance but please, stop embarrassing yourself.  At this point, I really have to consider that I should disengage from this because it is fundamentally unfair to engage in a battle of wits with the witless.

REALLY?  no connection between a nuclear chain reaction and a nuclear bomb?

REALLY?Huh

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: