Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:24:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pump & Dump of cryptocurrency  (Read 1637 times)
s4v4g3 (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 12, 2017, 03:45:11 PM

Hi,

It's a stupid question but I have to understand how things work.
I don't really understand what is the pump and dump of cryptocurrency, Could anyone explain?
Also what's the difference between "Bids" & "Asks" I have seen them in BTC live charts.

With my best regards Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
talkbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
August 12, 2017, 03:49:58 PM

usually there are pump and dump groups that try to do this. how successful they are remains to be seen because they usually fail in the long term or fail because a bigger whale crushes them.

what they do is they start a dumb group and then spam-advertise it everywhere with false notions of "getting rich with altcoins" then they get subscribers (aka gullible people). these pumpers start buying some random small altcoin themselves first then tell those subscribers to buy what they have already bought and buy it over price.
i think you can guess what their next move is: dumping on those who are buying now.

BIDS are buy orders. people are "bidding" on something to buy it like an auction where you can place your bid at any price (not just above the last one).
ASKS are the sell orders. people are "asking" for a price to sell what they have.

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
    █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  ███████████████████████████
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
liuqi

Activity: 1092
Merit: 257

LuckyB.it is Back!

View Profile
August 12, 2017, 03:57:03 PM

Hi,

I don't really understand what is the pump and dump of cryptocurrency, Could anyone explain?
Also what's the difference between "Bids" & "Asks" I have seen them in BTC live charts.

Bump: This is usually happens when the bitcoin adoption is increased or any implementation happen over the blockchain technology. This time people use to sell their bitcoins much and traders use to be busy in this time.

Dump: When we hold the continuously and it gets stagnated in one place or keep on other altcoin related ICO and projects been implemented means that time dump use to happen.

JACS|JUST ANOTHER
COMMUNICATIONS
STACK
██     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████     ██
████████████ █▄
████████████ ███▄
████████████ █████▄
████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
███████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
███████████ ██ ████████████
███████▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀██████████
████████▄   ▄▄▄▄  ▀████████
█████████   ████   ████████
█████████         ▀████████
█████████   ████    ███████
████████▀   ▀▀▀▀   ▄███████
███████▄▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄█████████
███████████ ██ ████████████
█████▄    ███████▀    ▄████
███████    █████▀    ██████
███████     ███▀     ██████
███████ █    █▀ █    ██████
███████ ██     ██    ██████
███████ ███   ███    ██████
█████▀   ▀██ ███▀    ▀█████
█████▀               ▀█████
████▌                 ▐████
████       ██▄▄        ████
████       ██████      ████
████       ██▀▀        ████
████▌                 ▐████
█████▄               ▄█████
dreamhouse

Activity: 1073
Merit: 666

View Profile
August 12, 2017, 04:02:00 PM

A lot pump and dump for the altcoins, that's the part of life of altcoin. If you ride on the good wave, then good profit.
Hui8

Activity: 602
Merit: 259

View Profile
August 12, 2017, 04:13:21 PM

Don’t really trust the pump dump groups. I have been on telegram few weeks ago but now it seems that it was mistake really. They are crazy people and most of the groups have people who never listen to what OP is saying. They will vote that they are going to pump one of the group but then no body really listens him and people who are with OP will invest their money immediately. This leads to chaos and everybody looses the money who tried to invest. So its not that much perfect system to earn the money and to be honest its waste of time. Don’t follow really, go with whatever you see as potential coin or trade.

AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
August 12, 2017, 04:19:49 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2014126.msg20074166#msg20074166

So many wrong answers and such an easy way to get better info. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump_and_dump

"Pump and dump" (P&D) is a form of microcap stock fraud that involves artificially inflating the price of an owned stock through false and misleading positive statements, in order to sell the cheaply purchased stock at a higher price. Once the operators of the scheme "dump" sell their overvalued shares, the price falls and investors lose their money. Stocks that are the subject of pump and dump schemes are sometimes called "chop stocks".[1]

While fraudsters in the past relied on cold calls, the Internet now offers a cheaper and easier way of reaching large numbers of potential investors.[1]

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
dealung

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 06:10:10 AM

usually there are pump and dump groups that try to do this. how successful they are remains to be seen because they usually fail in the long term or fail because a bigger whale crushes them.

what they do is they start a dumb group and then spam-advertise it everywhere with false notions of "getting rich with altcoins" then they get subscribers (aka gullible people). these pumpers start buying some random small altcoin themselves first then tell those subscribers to buy what they have already bought and buy it over price.
i think you can guess what their next move is: dumping on those who are buying now.

BIDS are buy orders. people are "bidding" on something to buy it like an auction where you can place your bid at any price (not just above the last one).
ASKS are the sell orders. people are "asking" for a price to sell what they have.

Good opinion, very useful. I just know that pump coin prices rise high and dump coin prices down or down drastically.
But now I know a lot about what is a pump and dump. Thanks for sharing his knowledge
bengems

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 08:13:47 AM

Pump and dump coins is so annoying, they pumpers are like vampires of the crypto sphere and the victims of the dumps are like thei preys.

Hope it explains it better

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
cointabo

Activity: 477
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 04:22:44 AM

I'll quote my previous reply here.

Guide on trading cryptocurrencies in general:
Code:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YgB5Jf1jbm8OzT9372ZqCkBnTQui6gkx0SICKq61Pv0/edit#
Amazing guide on margin trading on poloniex:
Code:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ex37eOVMCWJRHXLN6KLQcrMPsUbQw15jAFrLeO1aSUk/edit?usp=sharing
omonuyak

Activity: 882
Merit: 269

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 07:31:19 AM

Pumping and dumping activities are those that influenced others to join them to manipulate an altcoins for them To selling those coins at high price but the revise is always the case for those who subscribe to their services and majority of pump group are scammers. Ask price is the price sellers are ready to part with their coins and bid price is the price buyers and biding for a particular coin. All this can be found on most exchangers platforms.
adzino
Copper Member

Activity: 2968
Merit: 574

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 07:40:31 AM

Hi,

"Pump" means buying a lot of coins in a short amount of time. "Dump" means the otherwise. Sell all your coins immediately. Usually there are groups of people who join this pump and dump group to make quick profit out of it. Just a type of market manipulation. There are lot of shit  scammy alt coins in the market.

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
NathanJB

Activity: 756
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 08:26:12 AM

In crypto trading, pump may mean that a certain coin is in high demand due to a lot of traders buying. Dump means when a huge bulk of a certain coin is sold. These actions are considered vital to the value of a certain coin since supply and demand causes the high and lows of something's value. Sometimes, pump and dump may also be used to the increase and decrease of price.
batt01

Activity: 279

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 08:38:48 AM

Pump and dump is usually a scam short term scenario. First, a certain group buys cheap cryprocurrency assets, then artificially heats up public interest towards these assets - then sells them overpriced. Then gullible people end up with these overpriced assets and lose money. This is a manipulative scheme that meddles with prices.

BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 02:04:39 PM

Pump and dump coins is so annoying, they pumpers are like vampires of the crypto sphere and the victims of the dumps are like thei preys.

Hope it explains it better

well that is a fact which is happening and there is absolutely nothing we can do to prevent it. the altcoins are simply manipulation tools!
but this doesn't mean we should go away. no. instead we should learn to take advantage of the situation.

first you need to accept they exist.
second you need to learn not to fall for their emotional tactics to foll you
third you need to learn good timing. and with that you buy after the pump started but dump before the original players start to dump and get out with the biggest profit possible.

There is a FOMO brewing...
Zenithar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 11:32:43 PM
Last edit: August 15, 2017, 12:12:48 AM by Zenithar

In crypto trading, pump may mean that a certain coin is in high demand due to a lot of traders buying. Dump means when a huge bulk of a certain coin is sold. These actions are considered vital to the value of a certain coin since supply and demand causes the high and lows of something's value. Sometimes, pump and dump may also be used to the increase and decrease of price.
pump and dump is very common in the world of crypto currencies. pump means increase the price while dump mean decreasing. as currently we can see that the trend of the people is toward pump and therefore it price of bitcoin is increasing.
aardvark15

Activity: 994
Merit: 510

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 12:05:39 AM

Hi,

Sometimes people that hold a lot of coins will drive the price up by buying and then other people begin to buy and the price goes even higher. Then the original pumpers sell for a profit and the price dumps leaving the people that jumped in last to lose money. In this situation usually the more experienced traders and the pumpers make money and everyone else loses money.
GTTIGER

Activity: 527

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 03:48:08 AM

Simple, whales work together (stronger in numbers). They buy low (often at ico). They hold and wait for news. They then buy to create a psychological high. Now any deviation from the high will be seen as a deal. Then they sell slowly. This happens in perpetuity. What I liked was the altcoin bear market. They were accumulating while others ran scared. Keep an eye out for icos that have been accumulated by a couple entities. Like bat

Supreemo

Activity: 443
Merit: 110

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 04:02:14 AM

,usually those terms are economical words, that are simply being applied in trading, well i guess those pumps and dumps happening in the market, i had heard that there are people or organization behind the scenario. its not impossible to think that people or should we say traders are the ones controlling the market, but somebody might be manipulating it to cause pumps and dumps.
johnwest

Activity: 1106
Merit: 503

BabelFish - FISH Token Sale at Sovryn

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 04:22:44 AM

If you search for Pump and Dump groups on the forum, you will see many. What they do is everyone invests at the same time which automatically increases the demand for that coin which in turn, increases the value. If a normal trader sees this increase then he too will join the tide and as soon as it reaches the top point the group takes out their money. Everyone else who joined will be in a huge mess.

.USD Stablecoin Aggregator.                                              ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀█
                                            ▄▀      ▄
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      █        █
          ▄▄▀▀▀             ▀▀▄▄    ▀▀▄   ▄▀       █
  ▄     ▄▀ ▄▄▄▄         ▀▄      ▀▀▄▄   █  █       ▄
▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █ ▄▄ █         ▀ ▄        ▀▀▄█▀▀        █
█ █▄ ▀ ▄█ ▀▄▄▄▄▀   █  ▄    ▀▄        ▄          ▄▄
█ ██               █  █     █   ▄▄▀▀▀ ▀▄          █
█ ▀ ▄▄            █   █   ██▀▀▀     ▄ █▀▀▄       █
 ▀▀   ▀▄       ▄▄▀  ▄█▄▄▀▀  ▀▀▄  ▄▀▀ █    █      ▀
         ▀█▄▄▄▄▀ ▄▄▄▀         ▄▀▀▀  ▄▀      ▀▄     █
               ▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▀          █    ▀
                                               ▀▀█▄▄▄█
.BabelFish.█▀▀▀▀▀▀
█      ▀
 █        █      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  █       ▀▄   ▄▀▀    ▄▄▀▀             ▀▀▀▄▄
  ▀▄       █  █   ▄▄▀▀      ▄▀         ▄▄▄▄ ▀▄     ▄
   █        ▀▀█▀▀        ▄ ▀         █ ▄▄ █  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀
   ▀▄▄          ▄        ▄▀    ▄  █   ▀▄▄▄▄▀ █▄ ▀ ▄█ █
   █          ▄▀ ▀▀▀▄▄   █     █  █               ██ █
   █       ▄▀▀█ ▄     ▀▀▀██   █   █            ▄▀▄ ▀ █
  ▄█      █    █ ▀▀▄  ▄▀▀  ▀▀▄▄█▄  ▀▄▄       ▄▀   ▀
  █     ▄▀      ▀▄  ▀▀▀▄         ▀▄▄▄ ▀▄▄▄▄█▀
 ▄▀    █          ▀▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
█▄▄▄█▀▀
.FISH token sale at Sovryn.████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
shursight

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2017, 04:29:45 AM

Well there are too many differences between "pump and dump" and "bid and ask"
Pump and dump works with crypto-trading, pump is when the price goes up from the buying price, for example, if you buy at 0.001 and the prices comes to 0.002 then that coin has been pumped.
Dump means the opposite, it can be used when you sell your coins, that is why so many people say "i have dumped my coins"

Bid is a BUY order in forex markets, and ASK is a sell order.

++++++
+++++++   ++++++
+++++++  +++++++
++++++   +++++++
+++++  +++++++++
      ++++++++++     
+++++++  +++++++
+++++++   ++++++
++++++++  ++++++
++++++++   +++++
++++++++   +++++
+++++++