Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:09:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advantages of mining on linux  (Read 1476 times)
Kinetic915 (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 04:36:31 PM

Hello,

Despite stability are there other advantages to mining on linux?  Reduced power consumption? Better hash?

Thanks!

davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 04:37:13 PM

Hello,

Despite stability are there other advantages to mining on linux?  Reduced power consumption? Better hash?

Thanks!

Not sucking, pretty much

Kinetic915 (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:02:59 PM

Hello,

Thanks!

Not sucking, pretty much

haha okay.

Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:06:41 PM

No cost for the O/S. If you pay $100USD+ that is a whole bitcoin that you need to mine just to break even.
Rora

Activity: 244
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 06:13:14 PM

You buy your OS?  Wink
mgio

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 06:57:54 PM

Easier remote management. You can more easily write scripts to do things like pool hop automatically.
maqifrnswa

Activity: 454

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 06:58:52 PM

Hello,

Thanks!

Linux is designed to be a stable server. remote secure login (ssh) is easy, when using a stable distro the server never goes down. compiling the newest miner, bitcoind, pool software is much easier on linux than trying to set up mingw on windows.

Even if you had to pay for linux, it would probably be preferred for setting up a serious mining operation
Kinetic915 (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 07:00:10 PM

Hello,

Thanks!

Linux is designed to be a stable server. remote secure login (ssh) is easy, when using a stable distro the server never goes down. compiling the newest miner, bitcoind, pool software is much easier on linux than trying to set up mingw on windows.

Even if you had to pay for linux, it would probably be preferred for setting up a serious mining operation

gotcha i currently use some python scripts and teamviewer on windows but was considering a linux miner! thanks!

mitty

Activity: 359

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 09:17:48 PM

Pretty much just expanding upon what was already said, but the ability to do all your setup and maintenance from the terminal is huge.  You can open a SSH connection from almost anywhere; there's even an SSH app for Android. 

Also, the free part is great.  No need to push back your expected ROI, and also no hassle of trying to set up pirated software that may unexpectedly stop working. (if you didn't plan on paying for Windows)

In terms of actual mining performance I'd guess they're pretty close though.
nookiegirl

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 11:47:35 PM

So whats your linux distribution of choice then?
notaek
Legendary

Activity: 1268
Merit: 1009

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 12:07:41 AM

So whats your linux distribution of choice then?

BAMT. Made for mining.

Kinetic915 (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 12:35:11 AM

Pretty much just expanding upon what was already said, but the ability to do all your setup and maintenance from the terminal is huge.  You can open a SSH connection from almost anywhere; there's even an SSH app for Android. 

Also, the free part is great.  No need to push back your expected ROI, and also no hassle of trying to set up pirated software that may unexpectedly stop working. (if you didn't plan on paying for Windows)

In terms of actual mining performance I'd guess they're pretty close though.

I'm able to remote my windows miner from my phone too

EngMan

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 01:43:01 AM

Another bonus.....you don't have constant security updates that require restarts. That saves a lot of downtime.

Sorry, I'm all sold out of x6500's.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 03:01:01 AM

While Windows has LogMeIn and it's easy to throw a .bat in the startup folder, Linux has a lot more customization. There are like a dozen different ways to do whatever you're trying to do. And it's dead simple for a noob like me to set up Apache and miner.php.

Plus, Windows doesn't run on a Raspberry Pi.  Wink Wink Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Kinetic915 (OP)

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 03:04:28 AM

Another bonus.....you don't have constant security updates that require restarts. That saves a lot of downtime.

Another bonus...... No "your copy is not genuine"

Chaplin

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 03:33:08 AM

Hello,

Thanks!

Not sucking, pretty much
Except at getting drivers and xorg.conf to play nicely, aaaaaand good luck OC'ing your cards if they don't want to take orders from cgminer.

I've run Xubuntu on my main rig the past year, and if I didn't see myself out of the GPU business in a few months, I'd actually chuck $100 at a Windows license.

SSH is nice though.
JimmyFL

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 08:44:25 AM

While Windows has LogMeIn and it's easy to throw a .bat in the startup folder, Linux has a lot more customization. There are like a dozen different ways to do whatever you're trying to do. And it's dead simple for a noob like me to set up Apache and miner.php.

Plus, Windows doesn't run on a Raspberry Pi.  Wink Wink Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin

In windows you have to install one exe (xampp) and copy miner.php into the right folder Wink

I'm working with both, in windows I miss ssh, bash scripts and easy compilation, in linux the simplicity of setup (drivers, OC, ..., system in general) and games Cheesy

(W7 / Ubuntu)
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4144
Merit: 1637

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 08:56:15 AM

More reliable/predictable network stack.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 09:45:18 AM

Except at getting drivers and xorg.conf to play nicely, aaaaaand good luck OC'ing your cards if they don't want to take orders from cgminer.

I've run Xubuntu on my main rig the past year, and if I didn't see myself out of the GPU business in a few months, I'd actually chuck $100 at a Windows license.

SSH is nice though.

You must be new here. There was no cgminer back in 2010, aticonfig did the job just fine.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: