Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:15:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] GME | GameCoin - Unofficial fork and Windows QT Client.  (Read 23817 times)
jayo89 (OP)

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 07:18:38 AM

Would it be that absurd to simply change the name of this coin?

Something along the lines of GameTokens? No idea why the entire community continued the "coin" craze when it comes to naming schemes.

We could do a small brainstorm get a few names, then hold a poll to vote on one of them.

My theory is that "Coin" has stuck partly because of laziness, partly to try and snag some brand recognition from BitCoin, and partially because when you think "Coin" you think money, something that has real value.  Th eonly reason I'd want to shy away from "token" is that by definition a token meant to be valueless stand-in for money.

To be blunt, "Coin" is sexy.

Though I'd be totally down to just start calling this coin GP, as a nod to classic RPGs or something like that.

「   B e a x y   」   THE ALL-IN-ONE CRYPTOCURRENCY EXCHANGE
[ WHITEPAPER ]              Instant Deposit                   24/7 Support                    Referral Program              [ LIGHTPAPER ]
ANN THREAD     ●     BOUNTY THREAD     ●     FACEBOOK     ●   TWITTER     ●     TELEGRAM

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Petr1fied

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:31:22 PM

0.21 is not that hard for someone with a few GPU's to throw at it. Unfortunately the core GameCoin supporters tend to have less hash power to throw at it. I'll stick my hashes onto it to get us to the next diff adjust and jump off it again when the difficulty goes down.
PoolMinor
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1338

XXXVII Fnord is toast without bread

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:48:26 PM

0.21 is not that hard for someone with a few GPU's to throw at it. Unfortunately the core GameCoin supporters tend to have less hash power to throw at it. I'll stick my hashes onto it to get us to the next diff adjust and jump off it again when the difficulty goes down.

I am glad to hear that you will be around everyday to save us from this horrible issue we have every few days.

Thanks

Btc=C2MF       Free BTC Poker
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent. -Marilyn vos Savant
jayo89 (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 06:15:46 AM

I am glad to hear that you will be around everyday to save us from this horrible issue we have every few days.

Thanks

That's called an unstable hashrate. All small coins have them, not all of them are using a difficulty algorithm as speedy as this.  We've improved the situation to better weather the storm, but no solution is invincible.

This isn't a mining-based coin.  So trying to promote it in it's own right and its immediate value to miners is pointless because it has none.  It's sort of a catch-22 because we need to keep the hashpower providers interested long enough to generate interest for the coin's actual purpose, which will give the coin value, which will produce mining interest.  Right now our real problem is that mining interest is produced by low difficulties (something that by nature is fleeting).  So we need stable interest to obtain stable hashpower.

[ WHITEPAPER ]              Instant Deposit                   24/7 Support                    Referral Program              [ LIGHTPAPER ]
ANN THREAD     ●     BOUNTY THREAD     ●     FACEBOOK     ●   TWITTER     ●     TELEGRAM
PoolMinor
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 01:17:21 PM

That's called an unstable hashrate. All small coins have them, not all of them are using a difficulty algorithm as speedy as this.  We've improved the situation to better weather the storm, but no solution is invincible.

This isn't a mining-based coin.  So trying to promote it in it's own right and its immediate value to miners is pointless because it has none.  It's sort of a catch-22 because we need to keep the hashpower providers interested long enough to generate interest for the coin's actual purpose, which will give the coin value, which will produce mining interest.  Right now our real problem is that mining interest is produced by low difficulties (something that by nature is fleeting).  So we need stable interest to obtain stable hashpower.

Things could be worse Bytecoin has only 1800 more blocks till the difficulty change, or 2 years  Grin.

I also think if we want more interest we could have xorxor update their post on "the list" https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=134179.0

Alas this may bring more skeptical hash hounds that might not have the same opinion as to where this coin belongs.

I need to personally go where the money is to pay the power bill, at least 8 hours out of the day, leaving me limited hours to support this coin. I only have about 3% of the total GME in existence, sure I want more but I may have already dug myself into a hole trying to justify daily support.

I need value soon, I am not trying to dump when it sees an exchange just trying to see some of my work paid off.

-PoolMinor

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent. -Marilyn vos Savant
Sondey10mg

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 04:50:54 PM

It's great to see you have intentions to take this coin forward jayo. I hope you'll succeed. If you need any help, let us know!
I myself do not have the money or the skills to lift this coin up Lips sealed

*Image Removed*
 *Image Removed*
jayo89 (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 07:35:46 PM

Things could be worse Bytecoin has only 1800 more blocks till the difficulty change, or 2 years  Grin.

I also think if we want more interest we could have xorxor update their post on "the list" https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=134179.0

Alas this may bring more skeptical hash hounds that might not have the same opinion as to where this coin belongs.

I need to personally go where the money is to pay the power bill, at least 8 hours out of the day, leaving me limited hours to support this coin. I only have about 3% of the total GME in existence, sure I want more but I may have already dug myself into a hole trying to justify daily support.

I need value soon, I am not trying to dump when it sees an exchange just trying to see some of my work paid off.

-PoolMinor

Yeah, it's understood miners want to see their value.  The only issue is that GameCoin might not be a short-term investment coin.  It may only pay off (if at all) for the few that devote time and resources into it to actually build it into something outside the alt-coin pump-and-dump standard.  I totally understand your frustration though, it sucks putting a bunch of work, effort, and resources that could have been spent elsewhere on something and then waiting for results.  I'm open to suggestions on some sort of incentive or relief for miners because you guys are carrying this coin right now.

I do think we need at the very least GameCoin to be updated on the list, because it's obvious that it hasn't been updated since initial release, and the GameCoin team, community, and mission (or lack thereof) was entirely different.  Personally i feel the thread is not giving this small little sub-community the credit it is due for the monumental (and somewhat uncommon) feat of reviving a 51%'ed coin that didn't have much to offer on the front.

The original GameCoin just may have been the laziest release this place has seen.  But since things changed around here, you guys might be the hardest-working folks here

jayo89 (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 07:37:46 PM

It's great to see you have intentions to take this coin forward jayo. I hope you'll succeed. If you need any help, let us know!

Oh I'm a small piece of the big puzzle.  All the active posters here have put a lot of faith and effort into getting this bird back in the air, I'm just a delegator that tries to keep everyone on the same page.
I'm as broke as broke can be, so I just contribute what time I can here and there.  The big round of applause goes to pretty much everyone else.

PoolMinor
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:18:47 PM
Last edit: June 15, 2013, 06:10:34 PM by PoolMinor

I'm open to suggestions on some sort of incentive or relief for miners because you guys are carrying this coin right now.

I am open for a trade for currency that is currently trading, i.e. BQC or another alt coin. I have 100K of GME for the right price I can trade to another currency. (9,000 BQC OBO?)

-PoolMinor

-Edited for less ambiguity

dellstreakone

Activity: 156

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:36:49 PM

I'm open to suggestions on some sort of incentive or relief for miners because you guys are carrying this coin right now.

I am open for a trade for currency that is currently trading, i.e. BQC or another alt coin. I am willing to trade up to 100K of GME for the right price. (9,000 BQC ?)

-PoolMinor

just sent you a pm
BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 05:50:29 PM

Oh I'm a small piece of the big puzzle.  All the active posters here have put a lot of faith and effort into getting this bird back in the air, I'm just a delegator that tries to keep everyone on the same page.
I'm as broke as broke can be, so I just contribute what time I can here and there.  The big round of applause goes to pretty much everyone else.

lol know the feeling... I am out of work due to injury LOL

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
jayo89 (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:17:38 PM

lol know the feeling... I am out of work due to injury LOL

Guh, that's never fun.  I've been there.

jayo89 (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:18:08 PM

I am open for a trade for currency that is currently trading, i.e. BQC or another alt coin. I have 100K of GME for the right price I can trade to another currency. (9,000 BQC OBO?)

-PoolMinor

-Edited for less ambiguity

It's sort of neat seeing stuff like this going on so smoothly.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 01:32:06 PM

Is there a graph somewhere showing how many of these coins were mined in the first minute, hour, day, week, month etc?

Also, I don't seem to find any details about the actual game?

If there is no actual game that these coins are part of, what is the point? People who create games will have plenty of reasons not to use this coin, especially if the graph ends up showing it started at zero difficulty or some crazy crap like that like all the recent scamcoins.

Actually several groups of players within games have created coins for use in-game before, the problem they all ran into was blockchains are insanely expensive. You end up giving more than 100% of your money to miners! 100% of all the coins mined, then also transaction fees on top of that, what the heck that is insane. It is like saying to the U.S. that if they want you to act as a money transmitter for their currency they have to give you every dollar they print plus transaction fees!

Nothing I have seen so far indicates this coin is any different from any of the other recent scamcoins, and since there seems to be no link to the game there isn't really much indication that the game this currency is part of is even worth playing...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Badman0316

Activity: 569
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 11:42:15 AM

is it 1000 coin per block
seems got 50 per block

jayo89 (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 07:00:53 PM

Is there a graph somewhere showing how many of these coins were mined in the first minute, hour, day, week, month etc?

Also, I don't seem to find any details about the actual game?

If there is no actual game that these coins are part of, what is the point? People who create games will have plenty of reasons not to use this coin, especially if the graph ends up showing it started at zero difficulty or some crazy crap like that like all the recent scamcoins.

Actually several groups of players within games have created coins for use in-game before, the problem they all ran into was blockchains are insanely expensive. You end up giving more than 100% of your money to miners! 100% of all the coins mined, then also transaction fees on top of that, what the heck that is insane. It is like saying to the U.S. that if they want you to act as a money transmitter for their currency they have to give you every dollar they print plus transaction fees!

Nothing I have seen so far indicates this coin is any different from any of the other recent scamcoins, and since there seems to be no link to the game there isn't really much indication that the game this currency is part of is even worth playing...

-MarkM-

Thanks for the input, I can tell by your post count that you've been here quite a while, so I appreciate you taking the time to do a little reading and give us your two cents.

You might need to read a little closer, GameCoin wasn't launched for a specific game (Actually, it seems it was totally launched by the original dev as an obvious scamcoin, they did't bother swapping out logos or even changing the ticker from FTC!)
However, thee are a couple games with links near the bottom of the main post which accept and distribute GME.

The main reason I took over the GME project once I saw it had been abandoned is more of a curious interest than anything else.  I'd toyed with the idea of a coin that could be marketed an in-game rewards/commodity, but more an an incentive program that a standard and official currency.  It would be encouraged that game studios develop thier games with GameCoin support as an extra: distributing GME as in-game rewards (to bring players in that might want to collect GME) and/or accepting GME in exchange for in-game bonuses.

This coin won't be particularly profitable in the short term, so the biggest challenge is coming up with incentives and profit opportunities to keep the miners here, because it seems a lot of people are looking for relative small short-term gains rather than to be part of something larger.  More than anything I was looking to build/work with something neat, and add another open-source project I can cite contributions to.

tl;dr At the moment this coin can be sen as very similar to the scamcoins, provided you look at it from the perspective of someone hoping for a short-term gain.  We've got piles of ideas and plans, but until they are put into action and show results, they are exactly that.  Those who will benefit from GME will do so a little further down the line, and they'll be the few who see the potential of said plans.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 07:27:46 PM

So there isn't really even a clan or guild or whatever of players backing this coin in games, like that Ixian guy who was pushing the idea of Ixians as a nation or race or whatever in Galactic Milieu using Ixcoins as their national currency?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
barwizi
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 07:32:09 PM

So there isn't really even a clan or guild or whatever of players backing this coin in games, like that Ixian guy who was pushing the idea of Ixians as a nation or race or whatever in Galactic Milieu using Ixcoins as their national currency?

-MarkM-

it's clone, plain and simple. it can be marketed maybe but i'd suggest a restart. this coin failed to take off. what it needs is rebranding, relaunch. and a different reward per block. my wallets combined could give me a hundred thousand, thtz why it's not even tradable for ltc.
qwep
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 07:42:13 PM

Guys I can not run
jayo89 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 05:01:01 AM
Last edit: June 19, 2013, 05:12:11 AM by jayo89

-MarkM-

it's clone, plain and simple. it can be marketed maybe but i'd suggest a restart. this coin failed to take off. what it needs is rebranding, relaunch. and a different reward per block. my wallets combined could give me a hundred thousand, thtz why it's not even tradable for ltc.

It was a clone. It's also not tradable for LTC because I've suggested keeping it out of exchanges for the time being because until there is a strong enough network of small services on board, the coin has no value. (Something that these dozens of failed coins' developers didn't seem to understand,).  In the greater scheme of things, the fact that GME has a high reward is totally irrelevant.  It just means more supply going around, which is a stable system would ultimately just lead to proportional prices (You'll notice the Yen is significantly smaller than the US Dollar, all that means is that exchanged denominations are usually larger.)
tl;dr the value of individual coins is not as relevant as the value of the total circulation of the coin, and that value is currently not at a satisfactory level for listing on an exchange to be a wise option.

Also, it sounds to me like that Ixian guy wasn't successful, given the past tense.  So it sounds like that may not be a viable strategy Wink

I really am sorry that this coin isn't what you think it should be.  But hey, the source is on github Wink

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: