Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:38:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-05-17 GigaOM - The Future of Bitcoin: 3 Predictions From Experts  (Read 1117 times)
kiko (OP)

Activity: 453
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 11:23:53 AM

http://gigaom.com/2013/05/17/the-future-of-bitcoin-3-predictions-from-experts/

Bitcoin is being treated as a serious currency by investors, entrepreneurs and the government. GigaOM convened experts to hear what they say about what will happen next — here’s three highlights.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 11:46:12 AM

Satoshi Nakaomot
Ouch.  Tongue
Other than that, the article is awesome!
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 01:23:01 PM

Satoshi Nakaomot
Ouch.  Tongue

Meh. It's a positive article, which is always welcome in a world of "assault rifles stuffed with heroin" stories about BTC.

However, I found the article irritating for at least two reasons. The first is that it reinforces the "not ready for grandma" meme. Ageism is rampant in the BTC community, and, in my opinion, it leads one into making errors of judgment. I've mentioned here from time to time that I have teenage grandchildren, and I've used and mined BTC since 2011 - it's no big deal. No age demographic is homogeneous in its skills, attitudes or behaviors.

A second irritant for me is the reinforcement of the "BTC must be regulated" meme. I hold the view that "peer to peer" and "regulated" are incompatible notions. By all means regulate the fiat systems - they are regulators' property to manipulate, but once inside the world of BTC all transactions must be peer to peer - otherwise it's just another regulators' tool, and regulation is "fiat" (let it be so) by definition.
bitcoinanon

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

The way of the future...

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 02:43:03 PM

Satoshi Nakaomot
Ouch.  Tongue

A second irritant for me is the reinforcement of the "BTC must be regulated" meme. I hold the view that "peer to peer" and "regulated" are incompatible notions. By all means regulate the fiat systems - they are regulators' property to manipulate, but once inside the world of BTC all transactions must be peer to peer - otherwise it's just another regulators' tool, and regulation is "fiat" (let it be so) by definition.

It is irritating how people refuse to keep an open mind about BTC. A lot of experts and non-experts want to reason and talk about BTC like it will eventually be fiat, meaning more regulated and more centralized. Though I do not consider myself an expert on BTC everything that I have read about it does not suggest that regulation or more centralization is necessary. I do consider myself an expert on the media and its agenda. I understand how topics, ideas and words are passed around in the mainstream media to influence a certain mentality. Its evident and do not think it would be any different for BTC. Therefore, even after hearing the top experts one should still keep an open mind about what is possible in the BTC community. I would even argue that BTC is more of a community than a currency, because without the community it has no purpose. We do not have to subject ourselves to the recycled reasoning of fiat currencies and centralized banking systems. I think more Quality ideas will be discovered with more debate.
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 08:06:20 PM

Satoshi Nakaomot
Ouch.  Tongue

Just a keyboard transposition.  I doubt too many journalists have Satoshi's name in their spell checker.

Otherwise, kind of a hum-drum article.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 05:48:20 AM

This article is a summary of a GigaOM meetup and the opinions in the article accurately match what the panelists said.

As for regulation, I must reluctantly agree with those that say that some sort of regulation in inevitable, and it is naive to think otherwise. Of course, regulation of bitcoin transactions will be severely limited because there is no third party,  but the financial infrastructure that will be built up around bitcoin will be regulated just as much as the current financial infrastructure.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: