Bitcoin Forum
July 14, 2024, 10:01:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: URGENT HELP WITH LOST ACC  (Read 510 times)
VanHadaris (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 09:40:23 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2017, 07:20:41 AM by VanHadaris

Hello, I got locked out of my Senior account due to it being unused for years (it wasn't hacked). I read that I need to send a signed message, but PGP signature isn't in my profile or any public posts (I did not know what PGP was when I became a member of this community years ago, and forgot to ever update my profile, PGP key isn't required when you register to the forum, after all). However my public PGP key is posted all over my PM history, so if I post that to one of the moderators and they post an encrypted message back, that only I can read, and I post the content back to them, shouldn't this be sufficient proof that I'm the original owner of the account?

I have a Sr. account, and I have some important urgent information to my old contacts if they're still around on this forum, but now I can't access my account after not using it for years. I don't necessarily need a new password, just unbanning the account would work, if that is more convenient. I can see that the account hasn't been logged in since the last time I was years ago, it just got locked because I haven't used it for a while.
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2510

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2017, 11:28:19 PM

Absolutely. Send a message to theymos or Cyrus with a signed PGP message.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=497545.msg5473531#msg5473531

If you want us to recover a hacked/lost account, you need to prove that you own it. Typically, the only acceptable method of proving ownership is by signing a message (including current date and desired new email address) using a Bitcoin address or PGP key associated with the account. A Bitcoin address or PGP key is associated with the account only if the account posted the key/address, sent it in a PM, or if it is still listed in the account's profile.

VanHadaris (OP)

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 08:51:30 PM
Last edit: August 17, 2017, 09:28:21 PM by VanHadaris

But what if I can't remember an exact PM id (like I said it was years ago, before the forum started sending notifications about messages to email)? There should be well over ahundred of PMs with my public PGP key posted between certain dates. Can/will admins bother to go through your PM history on a certain date and check several messages for your key?

EDIT: I know some PM IDs where my key was posted now, waiting for response from admins.
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2510

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2017, 11:46:48 PM

Can/will admins bother to go through your PM history on a certain date and check several messages for your key?
Given that at the very least you're providing more information than simply the account name, it should be feasible to do so. Shoot out a PM to Cyrus to see if you can get the account recovered.

I'm not sure if it's better to specify a PM between you and other individuals but that might help in securing the account.

VanHadaris (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 09:23:49 PM

I wonder how long it usually takes for admins to respond, I have some urgent information for some of my old contacts.
dimbis

Activity: 31

View Profile
August 17, 2017, 10:18:16 PM

weeks... sometime months or worse
VanHadaris (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 08:58:19 PM

Jesus, I have some urgent business and people could lose money if I wait for too long. Isn't there a faster way to reach the admins?
miKcrypto

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 18, 2017, 09:39:39 PM

Jesus, I have some urgent business and people could lose money if I wait for too long. Isn't there a faster way to reach the admins?

I've been waiting for a while now too unfortunately :/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: