Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 09:16:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Trade by yourself! Avoid middleman! Ripple -Buying/selling XRP-Noob guide  (Read 5943 times)
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 04:13:51 PM

Mah87, I registered a Bitstamp account to do what you're describing but I am confused.

Do I trade XRP for BTC within Ripple, and then transfer the BTC from Ripple -> Bitstamp?

If that's the case, why can't I just trade Ripple for BTC within Ripple then send to my own wallet address?

Can the Ripple account hold BTC and XRP at the same time?

Can the Bitstamp account hold XRP and / or BTC?

There are no plain old BTC within ripple, so you cannot send directly to your bitcoin address. When people put btc "into ripple" there is always somebody holding the bitcoins, for example Bitstamp.

Ripple accounts can hold XRP, BTC-IOUs, USD-IOUs, whatever other IOU currency you want to use. The only "real" currency in the ripple account is the XRP, all the rest are just IOUs from another user.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
ghibly79
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006

Crypto entrepreneur and consultant

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 01:17:08 AM

I still need some 100+ XRP to start trading. Anyone kind enough to spare?
miztaziggy

Activity: 432

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 11:06:27 AM

Well now I have a message from this mah87 asking to buy my XRP on the cheap.

It seems he is just another one of these guys he writes about  Sad

*Image Removed*
bitcoinbear

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 02:28:00 PM

I still need some 100+ XRP to start trading. Anyone kind enough to spare?

Check out my thread "Ripple Starter Loans", if that interests you: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=210509.0

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 02:13:33 PM

Thanks for the tip. Is there a way to tell where the IOU Bitcoins are being held (Bitstamp, or a fake gateway..)?
bitcoinbear

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 02:27:50 PM

Thanks for the tip. Is there a way to tell where the IOU Bitcoins are being held (Bitstamp, or a fake gateway..)?

If you only trust the Bitstamp gateway then any BTC IOUs you receive will have actual BTC held at Bitstamp.

The ripple network is very transparent, check out https://ripple.com/graph/, if you put in a ripple address you can see who they trust and what they hold. For your own account, you can go to the "trust" page, and for each line of trust you have there is a bar with the balance for that trust pair.

symbot

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

Nobody accepts bitcoin on the moon.

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 11:40:19 AM

Excellent advice!  Thanks.
niner

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

You are here ---------> but you're not all there.

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 05:07:26 AM

+1

Ⓑ Ⓘ Ⓣ Ⓒ Ⓞ Ⓘ Ⓝ 1NMBixVgJyA63MExRuChcxjhKAW1QkvZU4
digital49ers.com   bitcoin.de   Alt Coins: CryptsyVircurex
SNAZ31

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 03:30:18 PM

Can someone just clear up one thing... So when you make a trade are there any fees involved either through ripple or bitstamp?

And say I had been trading for a while then I want some bitcoins to go direct to my personal wallet, I guess I send from ripple to bitstamp and then from bitstamp to my wallet... Are there any fees incured in that process?

Thanks a lot and it was a good guide cos it got me started, not made a trade yet. Gonna wait a little while till I understand it some more. Cheers
ironcross360

Troll of the Fourth Reich.

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 03:32:28 PM

No fees, but are more prone to being glitched, and its hard to withdraw as there not REAL bitcoins you get in return. you get fake btc

Why are you just staring at this? Just send it! 1MHZjADM41ttjbPUiTPYWGYGm45XLf8ZeS
mah87 (OP)
Donator

Activity: 756

-Bitcoin & Ripple-

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 04:02:15 PM

No fees, but are more prone to being glitched, and its hard to withdraw as there not REAL bitcoins you get in return. you get fake btc

Actually using bitstamp as a gateway is the same than using it as an online wallet. If you don't trust bitstamp then don't use it. If you think they are could be trust then there is no reason to say those bitcoin are not real :p

you know it iron. Stop trying to be the middleman ahah
ironcross360

Troll of the Fourth Reich.

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 04:03:40 PM

Actually using bitstamp as a gateway is the same than using it as an online wallet. If you don't trust bitstamp then don't use it. If you think they are could be trust then there is no reason to say those bitcoin are not real :p

I am the best middleman around, Want a job let me know.

Why are you just staring at this? Just send it! 1MHZjADM41ttjbPUiTPYWGYGm45XLf8ZeS
mah87 (OP)
Donator

-Bitcoin & Ripple-

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 04:19:03 PM

I am the best middleman around, Want a job let me know.

lol :p

stop it you know you're not =D
SNAZ31

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:03:38 PM

Well I know nothing about bitstamp, I will look into them a bit though and see what's up... I am a little confused though by this bit... "there is no reason to say those bitcoin are not real"...

Sounds like there is a question there as to whether they are real or not... That is a little concerning. lol... Or is it the same as when you have them on any other exchange? As in you are not really trading "real" bitcoin but rather just numbers and then they release "real" bitcoins when you withdraw?

On a side note this guy has been trying to buy my xrp's for a discount! lol...

Either way I will do some more research and then see what I decide to do.

So far I am inclined to believe you as you don't stand to gain anything... lol
mah87 (OP)
Donator

-Bitcoin & Ripple-

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:08:57 PM

Well I know nothing about bitstamp, I will look into them a bit though and see what's up... I am a little confused though by this bit... "there is no reason to say those bitcoin are not real"...

Sounds like there is a question there as to whether they are real or not... That is a little concerning. lol... Or is it the same as when you have them on any other exchange? As in you are not really trading "real" bitcoin but rather just numbers and then they release "real" bitcoins when you withdraw?

I'm willing to buy cheap xrp from people who are lazy or have no time to learn how to use ripple. Anyway I'm also willing to help the community and give very simple information that can make you save a lot of time. You're welcome Wink
SNAZ31

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:15:19 PM

I'm willing to buy cheap xrp from people who are lazy or have no time to learn how to use ripple. Anyway I'm also willing to help the community and give very simple information that can make you save a lot of time. You're welcome Wink

That is fair enough, thanks again... It has made things a little clearer and I will NOT be lazy and do some more research! lol

Good luck to you sir. Smiley
mah87 (OP)
Donator

-Bitcoin & Ripple-

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 06:19:02 PM

That is fair enough, thanks again... It has made things a little clearer and I will NOT be lazy and do some more research! lol

I described everything very clearly. The best I could do know is put some screenshot or come at your home and do it for you. I can do it for you online and I invite to buy/sell from me Smiley
SNAZ31

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 07:40:59 PM

I described everything very clearly. The best I could do know is put some screenshot or come at your home and do it for you. I can do it for you online and I invite to buy/sell from me Smiley

Wait what? lol... I can do it dude, that is not the problem! Just want to look more into which gateway to trust etc... No need for you to come round and do it for me... And no, now I have no need for the middleman! lol Smiley
bitcoinbear

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:34:13 PM

The BTC on Ripple are just as real as the BTC on MtGox or any other exchange. You are trading your entries in a ledger for some other entries in a ledger, when you request a withdrawal then you get real bitcoins sent to your wallet, just like you don't get real dollars until you request a withdrawal.

Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 02:30:16 AM

Good advice, too many threads of people trying to buy your Ripple.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: