Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 08:04:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Winklevoss twins' Bitcoin 2013 Talk  (Read 4732 times)
BitcoinAuthor (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 01:55:53 AM

that was at best a below average talk. wow, harvard education and this is what public speaking sounds like? ouch.

Not everyone can give a Steve Job-like presentation. These guys are just VC's, rich kids with money to burn. But at least they speak in a honest and frank manner, from the bottom of their hearts.

They don't give a shit about Bitcoin. They mock bankers, and their father is an actuary -- they got their money from the financial sector.

What have they done or said that indicates they don't give a shit about Bitcoin?

They want it regulated. They're shills for the financial industry.

Maybe they see that regulation is unavoidable if Bitcoin is to gain mainstream adoption. It might not be a bad thing for services for Bitcoin to be regulated. But Bitcoin itself is difficult to regulate.

So bitcoins can be, seized, restricted from crossing boarders, taxed, tracked, limited in the amount individuals can hold, and the exchanges run by the same people who screw everyone over now. They're bad things, IMO.

I wouldn't go as far as equating regulation to all those scenario you've listed. Regulation does not necessarily mean seizing or tracking or restriction. It might be just regulation of exchanges, or maybe of merchants, but nothing too intrusive.

FinCEN want to regulate virtual currency under the Bank Secrecy Act (1970):

"Designed to help identify the source, volume, and movement of currency and other monetary instruments transported or transmitted into or out of the United States or deposited in financial institutions"

"Required banks to (1) report cash transactions over $10,000 using the Currency Transaction Report; (2) properly identify persons conducting transactions; and (3) maintain a paper trail by keeping appropriate records of financial transactions"

http://www.fincen.gov/news_room/aml_history.html

Restriction and tracking!

And the DHS have already seized money in Mt. Gox's Dwolla account.

If we're going to fight back against that kind of regulation, Bitcoin needs connections and influence of exactly the type the Twinkievoss twins can provide. They've already talked about getting a Washington lobbyist. We know they've got powerful buddies - that was the point of Harvard, right?

The regulation is coming one way or another. Whether we are ready is up to us.

The Bitcoin Foundation are going to hire a lobbyist. http://www.itworld.com/357078/bitcoiners-rally-enlighten-washington?page=0,1

The Winklevoss's want Bitcoin to be regulated. They are the current system. And that's why they don't give a shit about Bitcoin. They care about adding 0s to their bankaccount, not about the freedom Bitcoin offers to everyone else.
yolo2222

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 02:01:27 AM

Nice video.

These guys give bitcoin a good rep.

People talking bad of them must be jealous, and therefore dumb.

BitcoinAuthor (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 02:09:07 AM

Nice video.

Non sequitur.
yolo2222

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 02:15:37 AM

Nice video.

Non sequitur.

Unus ignis quis vir multum ab audere et exclamavit: "Studium fuga, meum prohibere!"

The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 05:41:25 AM

Everyone seems to miss the glaring point about "working with" the existing financial system.

It is all temporary. Bitcoin is the "poison pill" that will kill the host that doesn't adapt. So while the government and sundry financial services will be trumpeting success with Bitcoin's "taming" - what they're really enabling is for a bridge to exist between the old and the new, with the new eventually overwhelming the corrupt system.

Bitcoin is here to stay, and it doesn't matter what kind of slice the old bastards take out of it - it will be their downfall.

Let's hope so.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:12:48 AM

that was at best a below average talk. wow, harvard education and this is what public speaking sounds like? ouch.

Not everyone can give a Steve Job-like presentation. These guys are just VC's, rich kids with money to burn. But at least they speak in a honest and frank manner, from the bottom of their hearts.

They don't give a shit about Bitcoin. They mock bankers, and their father is an actuary -- they got their money from the financial sector.

What have they done or said that indicates they don't give a shit about Bitcoin?

They want it regulated. They're shills for the financial industry.

Maybe they see that regulation is unavoidable if Bitcoin is to gain mainstream adoption. It might not be a bad thing for services for Bitcoin to be regulated. But Bitcoin itself is difficult to regulate.

So bitcoins can be, seized, restricted from crossing boarders, taxed, tracked, limited in the amount individuals can hold, and the exchanges run by the same people who screw everyone over now. They're bad things, IMO.

I wouldn't go as far as equating regulation to all those scenario you've listed. Regulation does not necessarily mean seizing or tracking or restriction. It might be just regulation of exchanges, or maybe of merchants, but nothing too intrusive.

FinCEN want to regulate virtual currency under the Bank Secrecy Act (1970):

"Designed to help identify the source, volume, and movement of currency and other monetary instruments transported or transmitted into or out of the United States or deposited in financial institutions"

"Required banks to (1) report cash transactions over $10,000 using the Currency Transaction Report; (2) properly identify persons conducting transactions; and (3) maintain a paper trail by keeping appropriate records of financial transactions"

http://www.fincen.gov/news_room/aml_history.html

Restriction and tracking!

And the DHS have already seized money in Mt. Gox's Dwolla account.

If we're going to fight back against that kind of regulation, Bitcoin needs connections and influence of exactly the type the Twinkievoss twins can provide. They've already talked about getting a Washington lobbyist. We know they've got powerful buddies - that was the point of Harvard, right?

The regulation is coming one way or another. Whether we are ready is up to us.

The Bitcoin Foundation are going to hire a lobbyist. http://www.itworld.com/357078/bitcoiners-rally-enlighten-washington?page=0,1

The Winklevoss's want Bitcoin to be regulated. They are the current system. And that's why they don't give a shit about Bitcoin. They care about adding 0s to their bankaccount, not about the freedom Bitcoin offers to everyone else.

And when you hear them talk it is clear they are just in it for the money. There is no passion in their speech (if you can even call it that). I would be VERY VERY careful of these guys. They have millions and millions tide up. They are looking out for themselves first.

Not saying to get them out (to early for that), but they need to be kept a close eye on, very close.

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:24:14 PM

And when you hear them talk it is clear they are just in it for the money. There is no passion in their speech (if you can even call it that). I would be VERY VERY careful of these guys. They have millions and millions tide up. They are looking out for themselves first.

Not saying to get them out (to early for that), but they need to be kept a close eye on, very close.

Was that annoyingly nested quote-block from hell necessary? Also, would it be surprising that someone who invested a million dollars was in it for profit? Do you understand how investment works?

As for their fundamental basis for investing - who knows, that requires a level of personal information that probably isn't available to anyone except their closest friends. It remains to be seen whether they're a benefit or a hazard.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 05:47:03 PM

Was that annoyingly nested quote-block from hell necessary? Also, would it be surprising that someone who invested a million dollars was in it for profit? Do you understand how investment works?

As for their fundamental basis for investing - who knows, that requires a level of personal information that probably isn't available to anyone except their closest friends. It remains to be seen whether they're a benefit or a hazard.

Your question is relative. Do I know how investments work? I think for most people (sheeple) yes, And I also know how it works for visionaries. I'm worried the Winklevoss twins are mostly the former.

Further, I'm afraid the Winklvoss twins would do whatever it takes to become billionairs and I'm not sure they actually care about BTC. That should be our fear. They could be like a twin Trojan Horse...

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
canada

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 06:14:53 PM

+1

i've seen more passion from a javascript meetup talk. you don't have to be steve jobs to be a good speaker.. you just have to believe in the cause. it's just extra uuh, suprising that uhh these guys uhh graduated uhhh from Harvard.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 04:11:19 AM

Some of you guys sound like pollyannas. Either bitcoin is strong enough to withstand any money-grubbing the Winklevii can dish out today, or it is already a failed experiment doomed to collapse tomorrow when the real predators arrive.

Yeah, they're not great public speakers. I think they did fine for a crew who were knocked off their game when the first 5 minutes of whatever flow they were expecting was ruined by Cameron's bad mic.

Sure, they don't have a groundbreaking message to relate. It doesn't matter. Do you? Are you certain your motives are purer than theirs?

Most importantly tough, they bring new attention to bitcoin. With new attention comes more players. With more players come more investment. Through more investment comes more market cap. And most importantly - with more market cap comes a greater inroad for cryptocurrency, and one step closer to the entire world casting off the shackles of the corrupt central bank, fiat, coercive, game.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 04:41:49 AM

+1

i've seen more passion from a javascript meetup talk. you don't have to be steve jobs to be a good speaker.. you just have to believe in the cause. it's just extra uuh, suprising that uhh these guys uhh graduated uhhh from Harvard.

wrong.

my son and i followed them out of the Conference Hall after their speech as my son wanted a pic with them.  naturally we were amongst a small hoard of ppl doing the same thing.

outside the hall we found them being interviewed by some female reporter surrounded by ppl.  Tyler was speaking about how he thinks Bitcoin can be used to bring freedom to ppl of the third world.  how a new sense of freedom and relief from poverty could be harnessed using a pure new form of money.  she asked him about the mtgox seizure and he hopefully said it probably wouldn't matter in the whole scheme of things as Bitcoin is unstoppable from a global perspective.

their handlers then whisked them off down the long hallway before anyone else could talk or get pictures from them.  it's a long, long hallway and i decided to follow them to see if the crowd thinned out so we could grab that picture for my son.  the crowd did thin some and just before they were to turn into an exit i shouted out to them to take a picture.  both of them immediately stopped and said "sure" much to my surprise and the chagrin of the bodyguards.  i quickly shoved my son btwn them and snapped off a very memorable picture.  that picture meant a lot to the both of us.

i'm convinced that the two of them are a humble, caring, thoughtful pair and my opinion of them shot up orders of magnitude.  to my mind, the burden of proof has shifted to Zuckerberg to prove to me, at least, he was not the schmuck in that dispute.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 04:45:45 AM

They seemed genuine to me. Before the conference my outlook was of two rich brats lol. Goes to show that assuming things based on the outside doesn't truly give you a perspective on the inside.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

charleshoskinson
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 05:11:25 AM

The Twins have a long way to go before they are legitimate players. There is a storm coming in bitcoin land and it's going to be fairly harsh for wannabes.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
The 4ner
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 06:53:00 AM

I wouldn't dare judge anyone until they do something that proves them to be greedy and untrustworthy. For now all I can say is we have millionaires on our side lets just hope it's to our advantage.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 10:06:08 AM

+1

wrong.

my son and i followed them out of the Conference Hall after their speech as my son wanted a pic with them.  naturally we were amongst a small hoard of ppl doing the same thing.

outside the hall we found them being interviewed by some female reporter surrounded by ppl.  Tyler was speaking about how he thinks Bitcoin can be used to bring freedom to ppl of the third world.  how a new sense of freedom and relief from poverty could be harnessed using a pure new form of money.  she asked him about the mtgox seizure and he hopefully said it probably wouldn't matter in the whole scheme of things as Bitcoin is unstoppable from a global perspective.

their handlers then whisked them off down the long hallway before anyone else could talk or get pictures from them.  it's a long, long hallway and i decided to follow them to see if the crowd thinned out so we could grab that picture for my son.  the crowd did thin some and just before they were to turn into an exit i shouted out to them to take a picture.  both of them immediately stopped and said "sure" much to my surprise and the chagrin of the bodyguards.  i quickly shoved my son btwn them and snapped off a very memorable picture.  that picture meant a lot to the both of us.

i'm convinced that the two of them are a humble, caring, thoughtful pair and my opinion of them shot up orders of magnitude.  to my mind, the burden of proof has shifted to Zuckerberg to prove to me, at least, he was not the schmuck in that dispute.

Great, so you have a story of them, against the wishes of their bodyguard, taking a picture with your son. That is really heartwarming but that doesn't convince me. What convinces me is what I see on a day to day basis, not a personal anecdote here and there. (Not that there is anything wrong with that - more data points in which to judge.) I think of athletes like Michael Jordon who are known to be very condescending and unfriendly to people (when the cameras aren't rolling) - saying all the right things in interviews and taking pictures with kids. It works, it's PR (and I'm not saying the twins are doing the same, but we should keep an eye on them.)

Now maybe, they just don't come across as "emotional" or "enthralling" with regard to their speeches. We will find out. But right now, we need to be very very careful with who is "let into" the BTC community - including Ripple.  Grin

Time will tell and further, where they spend all of those BTC's and money that they got. The proof will surely be in the pudding...

BTC = Black Swan.
Liquid

Activity: 826

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 10:29:00 AM

Great talk. I always used to think that they were total tools. I was wrong.

+1

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
yolo2222

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 10:38:14 AM

I wouldn't dare judge anyone until they do something that proves them to be greedy and untrustworthy. For now all I can say is we have millionaires on our side lets just hope it's to our advantage.

+1

No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1033

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 12:13:39 PM

Very exciting presentation.

I don't think anybody should judge anyone for circumstance of birth, be they rich or poor, but by their actions.

ktttn

Activity: 126

Capitalism is the crisis.

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 12:38:36 PM

DragonballZfusiondance.gif
Batman.png

+1
+2
If anybodys gonna charm the pants off of murica, make antibitcoin legislation unpopular, and explain bitcoin to the lowest common denominator of online rich people, and interface with dangerous politicians, it's that face... those fa- those faces.
Anyone know if the prizewinningnameguesser got paid?

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Ever see a gutterpunk spanging for cryptocoins?
LfkJXVy8DanHm6aKegnmzvY8ZJuw8Dp4Qc
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 01:30:51 PM

+1

wrong.

my son and i followed them out of the Conference Hall after their speech as my son wanted a pic with them.  naturally we were amongst a small hoard of ppl doing the same thing.

outside the hall we found them being interviewed by some female reporter surrounded by ppl.  Tyler was speaking about how he thinks Bitcoin can be used to bring freedom to ppl of the third world.  how a new sense of freedom and relief from poverty could be harnessed using a pure new form of money.  she asked him about the mtgox seizure and he hopefully said it probably wouldn't matter in the whole scheme of things as Bitcoin is unstoppable from a global perspective.

their handlers then whisked them off down the long hallway before anyone else could talk or get pictures from them.  it's a long, long hallway and i decided to follow them to see if the crowd thinned out so we could grab that picture for my son.  the crowd did thin some and just before they were to turn into an exit i shouted out to them to take a picture.  both of them immediately stopped and said "sure" much to my surprise and the chagrin of the bodyguards.  i quickly shoved my son btwn them and snapped off a very memorable picture.  that picture meant a lot to the both of us.

i'm convinced that the two of them are a humble, caring, thoughtful pair and my opinion of them shot up orders of magnitude.  to my mind, the burden of proof has shifted to Zuckerberg to prove to me, at least, he was not the schmuck in that dispute.

Great, so you have a story of them, against the wishes of their bodyguard, taking a picture with your son. That is really heartwarming but that doesn't convince me. What convinces me is what I see on a day to day basis, not a personal anecdote here and there. (Not that there is anything wrong with that - more data points in which to judge.) I think of athletes like Michael Jordon who are known to be very condescending and unfriendly to people (when the cameras aren't rolling) - saying all the right things in interviews and taking pictures with kids. It works, it's PR (and I'm not saying the twins are doing the same, but we should keep an eye on them.)

Now maybe, they just don't come across as "emotional" or "enthralling" with regard to their speeches. We will find out. But right now, we need to be very very careful with who is "let into" the BTC community - including Ripple.  Grin

Time will tell and further, where they spend all of those BTC's and money that they got. The proof will surely be in the pudding...

It was more about the body language. Both hands in the pockets, head down while being interviewed, speaking softly and in measured tones.

In contrast to the performers, who when interviewed in front of a crowd wave their hands, look around head up and smile flashing their teeth, speaking in loud commanding tones.

Also the immediate, no hesitation to help response to my request for a picture.

The behavior was completely consistent with what you saw on stage.

Just my two cents.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: