Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 08:44:29 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should i order a 5ghs asics from bfl  (Read 2857 times)
btchaver (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:51:54 AM

Im thinking of ordering from bfl maybe 2 5ghs or a 25ghs.  Ive been told not to mine as the profit will quickly decline should i place an order or just not do it and keep my btc instead.  I dont have much so i just wanted to ask your opinion.
evilscoop

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:52:30 AM

dont do it....
see my sig...bfl is a scam
eroxors
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

Think. Positive. Thoughts.

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2013, 02:01:58 AM

If I were you, I would wait until BFL ships in significant quantities. You might also consider steambots avalon group buy.

Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 02:03:30 AM

Im thinking of ordering from bfl maybe 2 5ghs or a 25ghs.  Ive been told not to mine as the profit will quickly decline should i place an order or just not do it and keep my btc instead.  I dont have much so i just wanted to ask your opinion.

Not if you plan on receiving your order in any reasonable amount of time.
btchaver (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 02:17:54 AM

How long is reasonable?  3 months or
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 02:20:24 AM

Im thinking of ordering from bfl maybe 2 5ghs or a 25ghs.  Ive been told not to mine as the profit will quickly decline should i place an order or just not do it and keep my btc instead.  I dont have much so i just wanted to ask your opinion.
How long is reasonable?  3 months or

If you were to pre-order right now, it might be conceivable you could receive product some-time in early-to-mid 2014.
endriuska

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 02:38:01 AM

*** you MIGHT receive it..
evilscoop

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 02:40:52 AM

isnt the waiting list at about 1 year now...
damn it just keeps slipping....

by the time they send em, 5Gs will be non profitable
endriuska

Activity: 91

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 02:52:20 AM

if you want to mine, build a rig for 1k$ and have fun with it.
Multifarious

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 03:40:55 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=110805.640

^^ Please read ^^
btchaver (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 07:23:31 AM

*** you MIGHT receive it..

Kinda like pullin teeth huh!
evilscoop

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 07:24:50 AM

pulling teeth is quicker......
btchaver (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 07:27:03 AM

Thanks when i have a few weeks ill take a guess instead.  much better at guessing anyways.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 07:57:34 AM

Thanks when i have a few weeks ill take a guess instead.  much better at guessing anyways.

I predict BFL is in close to same spot in a few weeks. Maybe a few more reviewers sent out.... or first few.  But no massive flow.   But i have no crystal ball.
tigerfree
Legendary

Activity: 1015

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 10:00:59 AM

DONT BUY THEM Angry
ripple

Activity: 287

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 01:29:41 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2013, 01:59:38 PM by ripple

[copy of previous post 11/5/13]

When ordering from Butterfly Labs you need to pay close attention to the dates you are likely to receive the unit before making a purchasing decision.  It is recommended that you exercise caution before trusting their website which states, "Orders placed now will not ship until the month of July."  Based on their current deliveries it is extremely unlikely that if you place an order today that you would receive in July.

Furthermore do not be taken in by website calculators for mining. Most website calculators, including the calculator offered by Butterfly Labs, conveniently forget that the difficulty level goes up every two weeks.

More realistic figures are as follows:

If the price of Bitcoins were to average $80, and difficulty was to increase each 2 week period by 18%, then provided you receive before 1st Oct 13 you can break even with a jalapeno.  You will double your money or better if you receive on or before 1st Aug 13 and lose money if you receive after 8th Oct 13.

If the price of Bitcoins were to average $100, and difficulty was to increase each 2 week period by 18%, then provided you receive before 15th Oct 13 you can break even with a jalapeno.  You will double your money or better if you receive on or before 20th Aug 13 and lose money if you receive after 22nd Oct 13.

If the price of Bitcoins were to average $120, and difficulty was to increase each 2 week period by 18%, then provided you receive before 29th Oct 13 you can break even with a jalepino.  You will double your money or better if you receive on or before 3rd Sept 13 and lose money if you receive after 5th Nov 13.

The above figures assume you pay $274 plus $38 shipping to US, $0.15 per kWh for electricity, pay 3% of proceeds to a mining pool, and run the machine 24/7 until the end of 2014 with no downtime.

P.S.  So it all depends when you receive the Jalepino. As of 19th May 2013 they have shipped only a handful of Jalepinos to customers. If you order today and BFL ship 400 a day then due to back orders you might receive in about 4 to 6 months. Expect an even later delivery if BFL start mining for their own benefit from cancelled orders. Your purchase is therefore a massive gamble. Paypal claims only last 45 days unless funded with credit card. As BFL has no legal contract any longer if delivering late, your safest option is to buy with a credit card and claim money back if not delivered in reasonable time. You have been warned! Good luck.

Quix

Activity: 174

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 03:23:43 PM

I wouldn't buy anything from them until they can guarantee shipping dates, which could be never, these guys are really shady when it comes to timelines. You could really lose your shirt with ASIC prices as high as they are and difficulty rising as it is.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 03:49:42 PM

I have an order with BFL from mid last year and it's in my interests to see more people buying BFL units so that the company doesn't fall over from lack of funds before my units ship.  But honestly, I would wait and see.  BFL has yet to demonstrate they can ship any ASIC units in quantity.  Trickling out a dozen a week doesn't constitute "mass production" for me.  I would love to be proven wrong and read that BFL shipped 400 units by this time next week.  If people are waiting 11 months for their orders it has to make you stop and wonder.
sniffinpoprocks

Activity: 137

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 04:24:53 PM

[copy of previous post 11/5/13]

... Expect an even later delivery if BFL start mining for their own benefit from cancelled orders. Your purchase is therefore a massive gamble....

I think that point is not valid. For example: If I can make a widget with a ROI of a month and it costs me $100 to make it. Would I sell it today for $200 and use that to make two more that I could sell tomorrow, or keep that one for a month just to make $200? The economics favor selling and shipping as fast as possible so more are on the market and more will get ordered. They will make more money shipping(hence attracting more customers) than actually mining.

“Since we decided a few weeks ago to adopt the leaf as legal tender, we have, of course, all become immensely rich.”
Multifarious

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 05:57:06 PM

Thanks when i have a few weeks ill take a guess instead.  much better at guessing anyways.

Everyone thinks they are 'better at guessing'. If you are actually looking to found your decision on evidence and thinking, it is useful to know that the CEO of BFL is a convicted felon, whose previous crime resembles the pre-order scheme currently

The more I've considered it, the more I've realized that BFL is a complex long-con that is exploiting the greed and gambling habits of early bitcoin adopters (no judgement - these are vices I share as well).
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: