Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 02:36:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Not Declaring Bitcoin Income  (Read 7485 times)
Psalms23

Activity: 532
Merit: 103

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 03:11:36 AM

In my country,  bitcoin is not yet regulated by the government,  so its not taxed.  But when you convert that and cash out,  its not bitcoin anymore. so suggest to pay tax when bitcoin is cashed out, that is to avoid any problems in the future.  If you earn a lot in bitcoin and your current job cant warrant what youve earned,  you might be subject for investigation. It might not happen though but if you are a law abiding citizen and just want to avoid trouble,  just declare your btc income.

SWG.ioPre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15
║〘 Available On BINANCE 〙•〘 FIRST LISTING CONFIRMED 〙•〘 ✅ Certik Audited 〙║
╙ ›››››››››››››››››››››››››››››› BUY NOW ‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹ ╜
Samarkand

Activity: 658
Merit: 282

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 09:05:31 AM

...The IRS decided to go fishing into old coinbase records dating back a few years suddenly....

Would they have ever done that without the spectacular BTC price increase in the last months?
If the market cap of BTC would still be under 10 billion $, they wouldn´t have started cooperating
with blockchain analytics companies in my opinion.

Kingofbitcoin12345

Activity: 462
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 02:20:01 PM

That's better than any other country,, it might be considered as a passive government as long as no criminal activity that may controversial that used bitcoin.. I think government and your country would not bother that freedom your experiencing as of today.. As my country is concerned we do have almost the same situation but differ on government regulations on some transactions and exchanges..

____________yahoo62278 CAMPAIGN MANAGER________  ◥◥  The Best & Most Popular Manager  ◤◤  ____________
ICO Manager          Bounty Manager          Signature Campaign Manager          Twitter Campaign Manager
█████████████████████████   ADD "yahoo62278" on Telegram & Skype   █████████████████████████
entrepmind23

Activity: 644
Merit: 261

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 01:51:33 AM

For the advanced countries, I think tracking wouldn't be as hard as it it sound but for third world countries and developing country, they have more issues to tackle than handling bitcoin or giving it attention to a high level. They will even appreciate you for declaring that little willingly rather than spending more money chasing after you to get that little from you. For you I would say it won't last long but for now, enjoy your tax free income pending the time they will be ready to face you.

I agree with this. Government is too busy tackling other matters than chasing people who earn income from bitcoin. There are even those that are working online for a decade but do not pay taxes because the government is busy in other matters and they are more concern to those people who earn big like celebrities and doesn't pay taxes. They are their first target so if someone is popular, make sure you pay taxes because the government will have a lifestyle check and then check if you pay taxes properly.

People who earn bitcoin in developing countries should enjoy it for now because once the government realize the potential earnings in bitcoin then maybe they would concentrate more on people earning from it so it would not be tax free anymore.

░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░
           ░▒█████████████████████▒░
         ▓███████████████████████████▓░
      ░███████████████▓░▒███████████████░
     ▓██████████▓▓▒░        ▒▒▓▓██████████
   ░███▓                               ▒███▒
  ░████               ▒▒▒               ████▒
 ░█████░           ░███████░            █████▒
 ██████░          ░██      ██▒          ██████
░██████░          ██       ██           ██████▒
▓██████           ██░ ░   ░██           ███████
▓██████         ████████████████        ███████
▓██████        █████████████████        ███████
░██████▒       ███████████████       ░██████▓
 ███████       █████████████████       ▓██████
 ░███████       ████████████████      ▓██████▒
  ▒███████▒       ░ ░     ░ ░       ░███████▒
   ░████████▒                     ▒████████▒
     ▓████████▓░               ░▓█████████
      ░██████████▓░          ▓██████████░
         ▓██████████▒     ▒██████████▓░
           ░▒██████████▒▓█████████▓░
                 ░▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒░
suppersz

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

There is a day to be born, and another to die

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 03:44:12 AM

For the advanced countries, I think tracking wouldn't be as hard as it it sound but for third world countries and developing country, they have more issues to tackle than handling bitcoin or giving it attention to a high level. They will even appreciate you for declaring that little willingly rather than spending more money chasing after you to get that little from you. For you I would say it won't last long but for now, enjoy your tax free income pending the time they will be ready to face you.

I agree with this. Government is too busy tackling other matters than chasing people who earn income from bitcoin. There are even those that are working online for a decade but do not pay taxes because the government is busy in other matters and they are more concern to those people who earn big like celebrities and doesn't pay taxes. They are their first target so if someone is popular, make sure you pay taxes because the government will have a lifestyle check and then check if you pay taxes properly.

People who earn bitcoin in developing countries should enjoy it for now because once the government realize the potential earnings in bitcoin then maybe they would concentrate more on people earning from it so it would not be tax free anymore.

Yeah when we start having self proclaimed millionaires popping up all over the place the government will start taking a harder look at this stuff. Where they could be losing millions of potential dollars.

CryptoBry

Activity: 1008
Merit: 355

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 03:55:05 AM

Yeah when we start having self proclaimed millionaires popping up all over the place the government will start taking a harder look at this stuff. Where they could be losing millions of potential dollars.

Of course, we can be under the radar of the government (especially with the tax collecting agency) if we announce (by words or actions) it to the whole world that we are making big money with cryptocurrency or anything online. I prefer to have a discreet lifestyle so that no one can be spreading rumors about my riches. We should not put a challenge against the powers-that-be.
chaoscoinz

Activity: 1151
Merit: 260

☆Gaget-Pack☆

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 04:22:53 AM

At the moment the IRS can only monitor bank accounts. So if you never cash out, then you're good
     Here's the kicker,  if you never plan to cash out, then whats the point in holding any coins at all? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Will you just hold for the sake of holding? Do you see the dilemma we all face now? It's quite a contradictory situation we're in, by having any coins at all. Up until a few years ago, bitcoin was really operating within the gray areas of law (which varies from country to country).
     The governmental bodies, and regulators across the world aren't completely against the idea of Bitcoin, and its methodology on decentralization, because if they were, they wouldn't have issued any guidance whatsoever to help people. They would have just outlawed it entirely (all things crypto coin related).
        We live in a digital age. To completely issue a cease, and desist on all operations concerning Bitcoin, and Bitcoin related developments, would be to smother the searing flame of human innovation. Especially when our future as Mankind depends upon it. When it comes to worldly affairs, other countries usually wait to see what the U.S has to say about anything first. Though Bitcoin wasn't exactly green lighted, guidance was issued in order to take some of the stress of early pioneers, do to the fact that the technology behind the coin, is simple, yet highly innovative, solving many real world financial problems, with many reputable organizations adopting blockchain technology.

treihon

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 12:20:27 PM

In my country there is not yet legislation on bitcoin, so no taxes can be charged on those incomes. Off course I would have to declare the incomes when making any exchanges. But anyway for the moment I'm just keeping my bitcoins as an investment.
BitcoinNational
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1010

Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 05:26:26 PM

It's very difficult to find trusted sources about taxation and what we have to declare or not.
What seems logical is to declare it. If you have a certain amount that you convert into fiat, anyway you will be asked by your bank where does it come from.

▄██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
           ▄████▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▄
         ▄████████████████▄▄▄███████
       ▄█████████████████████████████
     ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████████▄
   ▄████████▀█▀███▀        ███████████
 ▄████████▀███             ███████████
▄███████▀████                ██████████▄
███████████▀                  ██████████
 ██████▄████                   ██████▄███
  ██████▄████                 ▄█████████
   ██████▄████              ▄██████████
    ██████▄█████▄▄▄▄▄     ▄████████▀
     ██████▄████████████▄████████▀█▀██▀
      ██████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀█▀██▀
       ██████████████████████▀█▀█▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
                      ▀██▀▀
─────────────────
Revolutionized.  ──

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.WHITEPAPER.
ANN Thread
Reddit

█████
██
██ █
██ █
██ █
   █

─────────────  Join
SMARC token ICO

█████
   ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █ ██
 █
Islampower

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 03:57:20 PM

Here in my country which is now an upcoming tiger economy (though we are still classified as a third-world country), we are free to participate in Bitcoin both buying and selling as the government is treating Bitcoin just like any other foreiign money.

However, I am sure that only a very, very small fraction of us are declaring our Bitcoin income. It seems to me that the government is not that interested to get strict with individuals as long as they can tax the Bitcoin exchange provider for the service rendered.

I am then wondering the situation with other countries. Can your government really be able to track if you never declared gains made from Bitcoin transactions?
In France, for example, there is legislation on cryptocurrencies
if you have a capital in cryptocurency you must declare it if you change it in classic currencies. if you store it it is not taxable
here.
In some countries, notably in Africa  Undecided Embarrassed, there are no laws surrounding cryocurrences, in this case, free to everyone to possess them without declaring them;), some countries prohibit such currencies ...
jhanson

Activity: 135
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 01:20:48 AM

The banks and government depend on monitoring bank transactions. I wonder how long that's going to be.
craigpo

Activity: 103
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 01:23:05 AM

Once bitcoin and altcoins get incorporated into investments firms and real world assets, I wonder how the government is going to navigate that...
darylalban

Activity: 184
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 01:36:47 AM

The government's incentive to allow Bitcoin would be to regulate it. One day we'll all have to own up   Sad
PointHope

Activity: 317
Merit: 110

View Profile
September 13, 2017, 01:40:11 AM

At the moment the IRS can only monitor bank accounts. So if you never cash out, then you're good
     Here's the kicker,  if you never plan to cash out, then whats the point in holding any coins at all? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Will you just hold for the sake of holding? Do you see the dilemma we all face now?

There are many reasons to have bitcoin, not the least of which is protection from the IRS.
But also as an investment to hedge the devaluations and inflationary aspects of fiat.
As far as spending liquidity goes we are seeing many interesting tools/coins evolve; LTC, ETH, DASH, XMR, ZCASH, STEEM and some others.
With the BTC as the "gold standard", so to speak

I think these secondary currencies will evolve to meet the various liquidity needs of smaller markets.

I would think many "investors" out there are like me who hold a porfolio of these alt-coin in wallets which support multiple coins.
Blocken

Activity: 70

Crypto Lobbyist

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2017, 08:39:12 PM

The banks and government depend on monitoring bank transactions. I wonder how long that's going to be.

That's because you can double spend good ole fiat. The problem doesn't exist with Bitcoin and most cryptos. There just isn't the need for the same regulation and oversight, especially when anyone can look at the blockchain.

Crypto Advocate. Talking to peeps. *Not Lawyer
Block¤Nebula
Support my lobbying: 15CUf3MzfCCyHX638c1x47fg43A
PeterKh

Activity: 107

ICO legal advisor and blockchain enthusiast

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2017, 09:52:40 PM

That's because you can double spend good ole fiat. The problem doesn't exist with Bitcoin and most cryptos. There just isn't the need for the same regulation and oversight, especially when anyone can look at the blockchain.

Hm, how exactly do you double spend fiat? I thought that was the problem unique to the virtual currencies.

https://incremint.io/ - an escrow solution for ICOs - now offering the Token for Credible ICO Discounts
Blocken

Activity: 70

Crypto Lobbyist

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2017, 06:49:41 PM

Hm, how exactly do you double spend fiat? I thought that was the problem unique to the virtual currencies.

More than 9/10th's of USD is "virtual". Banks do not have a dollar bill (note, or coin) for every dollar they "have" in their accounts. We're talking at least 90% of the USD has no note or coin to represent it. There just is no reason to have that. Coin and note go through fluctuations where banks try their best to predict how much they'll need, which comes and goes from them.

When Bank A sends money to Bank B, Bank A needs to mark it off their books or they are "double spending" (they could also claim they sent it to two different banks). The US uses clearinghouses as a third party to verify that these things are happening correctly, without creating money out of thin air on the books ("double spending"). This is happening constantly as every single debit and credit card is used, on top of other banking/money service activities.

ON the other hand, any sufficiently decentralized virtual cryptocurrency cannot double spend. That's literally the first thing in the Bitcoin white paper. I highly suggest you read this in order to understand a bit more, and the link at the end of it is very good for a slightly technical understanding.

Crypto Advocate. Talking to peeps. *Not Lawyer
Block¤Nebula
Support my lobbying: 15CUf3MzfCCyHX638c1x47fg43A
suppersz

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

There is a day to be born, and another to die

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 08:26:41 PM

More than 9/10th's of USD is "virtual". Banks do not have a dollar bill (note, or coin) for every dollar they "have" in their accounts. We're talking at least 90% of the USD has no note or coin to represent it. There just is no reason to have that. Coin and note go through fluctuations where banks try their best to predict how much they'll need, which comes and goes from them.

When Bank A sends money to Bank B, Bank A needs to mark it off their books or they are "double spending" (they could also claim they sent it to two different banks). The US uses clearinghouses as a third party to verify that these things are happening correctly, without creating money out of thin air on the books ("double spending"). This is happening constantly as every single debit and credit card is used, on top of other banking/money service activities.

ON the other hand, any sufficiently decentralized virtual cryptocurrency cannot double spend. That's literally the first thing in the Bitcoin white paper. I highly suggest you read this in order to understand a bit more, and the link at the end of it is very good for a slightly technical understanding.

I think he just means the dictionary definition of a double spend. But yeah, fiat's version of counterfeit/printing money is way, much worse than crypto

PeterKh

Activity: 107

ICO legal advisor and blockchain enthusiast

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2017, 01:09:25 PM

I understand the above arguments. It's just that I don't think the double-spend risk is that big of a problem for fiats.
The blockchain currencies have a technological advantage of transaction processing/recording. I think what's going to happen is that we will see a symbiosis of the traditional financial world and virtual currencies.

https://incremint.io/ - an escrow solution for ICOs - now offering the Token for Credible ICO Discounts
Harlot

Activity: 1806
Merit: 672

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 05:17:00 PM

That is where you are wrong, the moment that they see that you have uneven wealth which is not in proportion to the income tax you pay they will start to wonder and do some auditing of your income report. Most of the government don't care where your earnings come from, the important thing is that you will pay all of your taxes that is right for your income (also including your income from Bitcoin). The moment that they also find out that many people are hiding their Bitcoin income the chance of having laws related to Bitcoin might be high.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: