Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:18:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is anyone running their Mining Rigs in an Oil Tank?  (Read 8609 times)
Samantha2011 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 07:33:50 AM

Some people are having problems with dust, noise and heat with their mining rigs. Running your rigs in a tank of mineral oil would eliminate all three of these problems. You could even cool the oil with a radiator if you wanted to run it hot.

Is anyone doing this already?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sP45uBj4-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Tj4wMF5EY
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pharno

Activity: 52

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 07:59:47 AM

nope, but I thought about it, but came to the result that it is just to messy if you have to exchange a part of the computer.
scooter

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 08:03:53 AM

People take this up and you are just asking for a flood of reports on http://www.bitcoinminingaccidents.com/
Samantha2011 (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 08:18:36 AM

nope, but I thought about it, but came to the result that it is just to messy if you have to exchange a part of the computer.
Adding capacity wouldn't be a problem. Just drop in another rig.
Convery

Activity: 966
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 08:33:10 AM

Not to mention that you probably wont be able to sell your hardware if you stop mining, ever tried to clean mineral oil off?

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
zerokwel

Activity: 464
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 09:18:10 AM

LOL.

Oil just has 2 many drawbacks for me.... mess mess mess mess.

plus Don't you think cooling might be an issue if your running say 4x whatever space heaters set to extra hot. Atlest you would not have to run your chip fryer when your hungry Smiley
nebiki

Activity: 742

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 09:22:07 AM

i hate that people did that. every time i'm talking about cooling to my dad, he ALWAYS refers to how fun it'd be to fill a comp with oil. :<

THE BEST IN SPACE
AUTO-COMPOUNDING DEFI 3.0
PROTOCOL ON BSC
▀█▄▄▄                                                                      ▄▄▄█▀
▀██
████▄▄▄                                                          ▄▄▄██████▀
▀▀███
██████▄▄▄                                              ▄▄▄█████████▀▀
▀▀████
████████▄▄▄                                ▄▄▄████████████▀▀
▀████████████████▄ ▄▄                  ▄▄ ▄████████████████▀
████████████████████▄▄          ▄▄████████████████████
▀█████████████████████        █████████████████████▀
▀████
███████████████▌      ▐███████████████
████▀
▀▀█████████
██████████████████
█████████▀▀
▀████████████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████████▀

▀██
█████ ███    ███ ███████▀
▀▀███   ██    ██   ███▀▀
5 0 1 , 6 5 2 %   A P Y
|    TWITTER    |   TELEGRAM   |    DISCORD    |
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
JOIN NOW
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
Chucksta

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:03:30 AM

Can you buy kits/cases for setting up an oil tank PC ?

If so, then can you tell where, especially if there are any vendors in the UK ?
Samantha2011 (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:09:19 AM

Can you buy kits/cases for setting up an oil tank PC ?

If so, then can you tell where, especially if there are any vendors in the UK ?

Just use an aquarium tank if you want it to look pretty. Otherwise a plastic storage container will do.
zerokwel

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:09:37 AM

I have not seen any kits around. go to your local pet shop get a fish tank then go to a car shop and get some oil. add chips and away you go Smiley
Chucksta

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:15:49 AM

LOL, chips Smiley

okay, thanks guys
flyswatta

Activity: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 11:57:07 AM

I've been wanting to do this but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  THere's a good write up and kit that they sell here:  http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

fascistmuffin

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 12:07:30 PM

I remember back in the day when oil was used as fuel for power, and when you wanted to cool your CPU, you'd blow on it. Now they're trying to use wind power to generate electricity, and oil to cool computers. The world has gone backwards one me.
Mortox

Activity: 15

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 06:11:58 PM

If you're mining with even one decent card you'll want to use a radiator regardless.  The heat dissipation through a flat surface (container wall) just isn't that effective.  There's a reason every piece of computer hardware uses fins.  If you use a glass aquarium than you will dissipate some heat.  If you are using an acrylic aquarium or plastic tub then you will lose less heat through the walls.  Having a pump attached will help circulate the oil which is also a good thing; relying on natural convection for your fluid circulation will raise the temperatures.  If you're using multiple cards than you will certainly need additional cooling.

Both my mining and gaming rig are in oil, but I would recommend against it unless you have some idea what you are getting into, and you enjoy that sort of thing.  Puget systems does have a good kit and explanation, which makes it much easier.  I tried their kit some time ago, and decided that the aquarium they were using was a bit too fragile.  However, the oil is not cheap (~$20/gallon), is very messy, almost certainly voids warranties, and still requires additional cooling equipment.  Also, your hardware is difficult to get to, and your computer becomes damn near unmovable.

If this is the kind of thing you enjoy doing, then by all means, do it.  But don't get into it thinking its going to be cheap and easy.
asfas16123

Activity: 44

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 06:26:59 PM

the point is that you have to cool the oil, which is not easy.
the heat has to go somewhere and if you dont use massive heat exchangers /radiators your rigs would run hot after a few hours.

oil is nice for gaming and such, I have read an article where they talked about 8 hours under full load or something until they hit 90 degrees celsius. for mining it is just stupid and a real mess to go along with it
Synaesthesia

Activity: 546
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 06:49:37 PM

Do you leave the fans running and on? I would have thought the chips would be naked to the oil, and that the fans wouldn't run when submerged. But they seem to chug along in the video.
zerokwel

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 08:17:53 PM

there has to be some sort of movement to avoid hotspots. I would think. Still If you really feel the need I would just watercool. Less mess cheaper. easy to buy kits etc
Mortox

Activity: 15

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:25:25 PM

I tried using an older cpu with no heatsink, and got hot fast (I shut the computer off as it climbed past 90C).  You need something to increase the heat-transfer surface area.  With the same cpu I have had good success using a low-profile passive heat sink.

I haven't had any problems with fans in the oil.  My guess is that the increased resistance is offset by the increased lubrication and cooling provided by the oil.  The video card fans seem to be pretty effective at moving oil through the heat sink.  The squirrel cage fans they typically have aren't much different in concept to an impeller pump.
bitcoinaddict

Activity: 75

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:34:43 PM

Cheaper, easier, and better to just water cool your hardware.  Plus it's easier to resell the components afterwards.

https://bitcoinmonkey.com/images/btcmonkey_ub.png
Join https://www.bitcoinmonkey.com mining pool!  0% Fees for life, LP, super low stales, API, SSL (with a real cert!), growing fast!
dodgrr

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 10:40:48 PM

yikes.. go for it, and report back Grin

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: