Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:38:37 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon Clone Assembly Service Europe  (Read 20385 times)
strombom (OP)

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 19, 2013, 02:38:30 PM
Last edit: August 02, 2013, 10:02:06 PM by strombom

I am building a few Avalon clones based on the Avalon reference design, I am building a few more than I need in order to share the NRE costs. You supply the chips to me and I plan to assemble them in Stockholm/Sweden the day they arrive. If you have ordered chips and want them assembled into Avalon clones you are welcome to contact me!

2013-06-29: I was supposed to have done this yesterday but now I have tested a full board with 10 chips. It seems to work well, running both modules at 390MHz for a few minutes is a good sign. Smiley

2013-06-26: We have assembled the case and all hole positions are correct! Now we have 15 sets of those cases!

2013-06-25: Finally hashing Smiley Next I will solder 10 chips and test with full load... Tomorrow we will receive the enclosures. Lots of things happening now, the biggest job at the moment is logistics Smiley

2013-06-24: The nuts have finally arrived:

2013-06-21: The hash units have been tested under load, now I'm waiting for tuesday when I can test with a real chip Smiley

2013-06-21 Our connectors have finally been manufactured! Those were difficult to get...

2013-06-19 Good progress today, we have tested the control unit. First test: Flash LED - OK! Smiley

The photos are not the best quality, I will post better later. The boards are on their way to Sweden, next week I will test the hash unit with an Avalon chip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mJW1ToLiAw

A few notes:
* We don't use PCI-E connectors, but 6 pin PCI-E connectors will fit anyway.
* The hash unit connectors had to be specially manufactured for us, the factory has promised they are done this saturday.
* Capacitor C1 has solder mask, the factory will scrape this off.

Not perfect but no showstoppers yet!

2013-06-18 Nuts and bolts ordered. Nuts had to be custom manufactured but will be finished before the weekend.

2013-06-17 The cases were ordered a few days ago and are to be finished this week, I will post a picture when they are done.

2013-06-15: The boards have been manufactured and the components have been delivered to the factory, the board assembly will be done this week.

2013-06-08: First heat sink has been manufactured, now we are asking the factory to complete the full batch of 60. We have also picked up the components for the circuit boards and are making sure all components in the BOM are there, SMT assembly is scheduled around the 15th.

2013-06-01: CAD drawings for the enclosure are done:

2013-06-01: All components for the circuit boards have been ordered from the supplier.

2013-05-30: Pricing on modules set. $730 per 80 chip module if I assemble it in Sweden and $620 if I send it directly to you and you solder the Avalon chip and surrounding capacitors yourself (capacitors will be included in the package). This includes heat sink and back plane but not shipping.

2013-05-29: Heat sink drawing completed and quote received from factory. Next up is making CAD drawings for the casing and finalizing component orders.

2013-05-27: Components are being ordered, will be delivered to factory in a few days.

2013-05-23: PCB production started

? Avalons reserved, ? still available.
? Hashing modules reserved, ? still available.
Only a few left, I'm not sure how many of those who have shown interest will order, I'm trying to finalize all sales now...

--------------

The units will be shipped with an overclocked firmware that I have been running since the chip specifications came out. The frequency can be set with 5 MHz intervals. I have been running up to 370 MHz, but at that point it freezes often, so I have slowly went down and landed on 345 MHz where it seems stable:

(I have a 3 module unit, but I set it at 4 modules in software, so some parameters might look a bit strange)
strombom (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 12:00:37 PM

A small status update,

Circuit boards for 15 Avalons with 4 modules + 10 extra modules are being manufactured. We are currently ordering all parts required for assembly.

4 Avalons are reserved so far.

I will update this thread when I have information about pricing.
cryptograd

Activity: 112

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 12:42:36 PM

yeah this is great

are you getting your chips through a reseller or direct from Avalon?

Liked something I said ->17ry6rrknqmQ2S1NRArzdrNMmG2Zk449AE
Most important bitcointalk post in history
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=120184.msg1381739#msg1381739
strombom (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 12:54:19 PM

yeah this is great

I guess I was not clear, I have changed the first post, my own chips was ordered from zefir, those who want their board assembled by me have to supply their own chips, I will assemble them as soon as they arrive.
cryptograd

Activity: 112

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 01:18:50 PM

yeah this is great

I guess I was not clear, I have changed the first post, my own chips was ordered from zefir, those who want their board assembled by me have to supply their own chips, I will assemble them as soon as they arrive.

ah ok gotcha

Liked something I said ->17ry6rrknqmQ2S1NRArzdrNMmG2Zk449AE
Most important bitcointalk post in history
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=120184.msg1381739#msg1381739
strombom (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 02:12:15 PM

Please contact me if you want to buy heat sinks and enclosures for Avalon clones, we are in the process of ordering this.
yoyobob19

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 06:57:21 PM

so are you using the avalon refrence disign? or kondikes
strombom (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:09:23 AM

yoyobob19: I'm using the Avalon reference design.
evilscoop

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:28:34 AM

be interested to see heat sink designs...

see sig for my thread, but if you can pm me costs and drawing please
strombom (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:34:41 AM

be interested to see heat sink designs...

see sig for my thread, but if you can pm me costs and drawing please

Here is a tentative drawing we used for quoting, the factory is looking for a suitable aluminium extrusion:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16881231/avalon_heat_sink_drawing.pdf

GandalfG

Activity: 259

Dig your freedom

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:54:30 AM

If I understand You build full Avalon clone. Including house and PSU ?
4 modules 320 Avalon ASIC chip right ?
Can you estimate cost without ASIC chips ?

Want to say thanks? 16ragydppe9QFRVhrdwEUjgfMS7KCfEFGY
evilscoop

Activity: 350

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:56:22 AM

heatsink wont fit klondikes...

thx though...
strombom (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 11:05:10 AM

If I understand You build full Avalon clone. Including house and PSU ?
4 modules 320 Avalon ASIC chip right ?
Can you estimate cost without ASIC chips ?

Yes, I am working hard towards supplying a full Avalon clone, ready to run.

I am a bit reluctant posting a price estimate in this thread since it's not completed, but we are looking at well under 1000 EUR for all assembled circuit boards for a 320 chip Avalon (no components mounted on the hashing parts of the hashing units).
AvenG

Activity: 133
Merit: 101

Res Et Non Verbum

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:54:42 AM

How about cloning Avalon ASIC modules for Avalon owners? I'm very interested in purchasing a 4th module for my rig. Is that possible to you?
And how about costs and delivery delay considering your manufacturing capacity?

not for sale
eestimees

Activity: 651
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 05:48:20 AM

How about cloning Avalon ASIC modules for Avalon owners? I'm very interested in purchasing a 4th module for my rig. Is that possible to you?

+1

eestimees
strombom (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 06:03:40 AM

+1

Hello eestimes and AvenG,

Yes, I am willing to do this. I am not manufacturing more units than I can handle. The chip assembly is to be started by the end of next week and the mechanical parts are being ordered by the next few days. I am very aware of the urgency since I am building units for myself also.

I am manufacturing 15 complete Avalons and 10 extra stand alone modules for Avalon owners.

I can sell one module for $730 (80 chip module) if I assemble it in Sweden and $620 if I send it directly to you and you solder the Avalon chip and surrounding capacitors yourself (capacitors will be included in the package). This includes heat sink and back plane but not shipping.
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 11:49:15 AM

Yes, I am willing to do this. I am not manufacturing more units than I can handle. The chip assembly is to be started by the end of next week and the mechanical parts are being ordered by the next few days. I am very aware of the urgency since I am building units for myself also.

I am manufacturing 15 complete Avalons and 10 extra stand alone modules for Avalon owners.

I can sell one module for $730 (80 chip module) if I assemble it in Sweden and $620 if I send it directly to you and you solder the Avalon chip and surrounding capacitors yourself (capacitors will be included in the package). This includes heat sink and back plane but not shipping.

Ok so if I understand this correctly, we deliver 80 avalon chips to you and for $730 you can build one module?

sorry for my ignorance but does this include PSU and heatsink? and/or what else is missing out of that that we need to supply to have a functioning unit?

i'm in karlskrona so you being so close would be great
strombom (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 12:09:47 PM

Hi!

One module consists of 80 chips mounted on 8 hashing units. Those 8 hashing units are mounted on a heat sink together with a back plane and a ribbon cable. This is not a stand alone unit, you need a working Avalon with a free slot to use it.

For a working miner you need:
Cabling
Router
PSU + power distribution board
Control unit
1-4 Hashing modules
Optional casing

I have ordered a few extra control units (as backup if some are broken), so if you are interested you can reserve it and I will get the additional parts, but it would cost a bit more than $730. Most modules are sold in multiples of 4 as a complete unit.

Do you speak swedish? You are very welcome to deliver the chips and pick the units up at my place Smiley
TheSwede75

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 05:28:30 AM

Strombom,
Fellow Swede here. Any chance that you have spare. Avalon chips enough to sell a complete Avalon including chips from your own order? I would be happy to reimburse you for the chips @ a price over market.

Lycka till med allt!
strombom (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 05:40:52 PM

silverserpent:
Yes I will test everything I ship.

I have not sourced PSU:s yet so I have no reply to that yet. There are a few suggestions on the wiki, might be worth taking a look:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon#Power
If you follow the recommendation I assume you will be safe: "For 4 module units: 750W, 60A 12V, at least. recommend for a 20% margin."

The PCB:s are in production and are to be assembled within two weeks from now, I should have them not more than a week after that. The heat sinks are being manufactured as we speak and will be finished in the next few days. The cases will be ordered in the beginning of next week.

I plan to have everything ready before the end of june so that I can assemble the chips the day they arrive. I don't believe the chips will have started to arrive during june, but who knows, I am doing everything to have all components in my hands asap.

I don't know about shipping costs to USA, selecting a shipping method would depend on the daily return of the unit at the time of shipping. I do not have an account with any shipping companies and I will not be shipping many units so I can probably not get the best prices. If you have an account, maybe through your workplace I would recommend using that... Smiley

TheSwede75: Unfortunately I don't have many chips, I'm holding tight the few I have Smiley

Tack! Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: