Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:11:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we own two bitcoins?  (Read 920 times)
_Arnold_ (OP)

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 03:05:44 PM

To you guys who have owned Bitcoin for a while.

As long as you did not have your BitCoin on a bitcoin-stockexchange, during the split, you now have both BitCoin cash and Bitcoin core, right? 

As long as you created your address on BitAddress, and then memorized the address in your head, on a paper or in cold storage, you now have both types of BitCoin, right? 

Is there some other scenario in which you now only have one BitCoin, except for those who had their BitCoin on an exchange during the split?

If you have two BitCoins, how do you go about selling your BitCoins now? And how do you know if you are selling Bitcoin Core or Bitcoin Cash? 

Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BrewMaster
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1292

There is trouble abrewing

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 03:26:07 PM

you have only ONE bitcoin and will always have ONE bitcoin no matter what is going on in the world of cryptocurrencies.

what you additionally have is an airdrop. there are actually a lot of them. at least 8 of them are currently running and you can claim them as long as you (1) hold your private keys (2) had any balance in those addresses prior to certain block heights.

the active airdrops that i can remember are as follows:
BitCore
Byteball
Bitcoin Cash
Stellar

There is a FOMO brewing...
Gaaara

Activity: 1106
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 03:27:46 PM

Actually they have different wallet, you claim your BCH, you just need to memorize the key in able to claim it. They have different initial, BTC (meaning Bitcoin Core) while the other is BCH (which means Bitcoin Cash), you'll gonna know it if you look at your balance, you will deposit the bitcoin cash from a designated wallet so there would be no confusion regarding those two.

MOCKTAIL  -  THE  FIRST  SEMI-FUNGIBLE  TOKEN  ON  BSE 
        WEBSITE        WHITEPAPER        SMART CONTRACT        TWITTER        FACEBOOK        TELEGRAM        ANN

krishnapramod
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1078

View Profile
August 19, 2017, 03:55:21 PM
Last edit: August 19, 2017, 04:20:04 PM by krishnapramod

As long as you did not have your BitCoin on a bitcoin-stockexchange, during the split, you now have both BitCoin cash and Bitcoin core, right?  

As long as you created your address on BitAddress, and then memorized the address in your head, on a paper or in cold storage, you now have both types of BitCoin, right?  

Is there some other scenario in which you now only have one BitCoin, except for those who had their BitCoin on an exchange during the split?

If you have two BitCoins, how do you go about selling your BitCoins now? And how do you know if you are selling Bitcoin Core or Bitcoin Cash?  

1. Yeah, some exchanges credited their users with BCH.

2. Don't create addresses on bitaddress, not safe. Yeah, if you created an address and wrote down the private keys then you have both bitcoin and bitcoin cash, assuming you created an address and transferred some funds to it before the split, August 1.

3. Point 1 & 2. If you had bitcoins in your address before the split, then you have the equivalent BCH, private key matters, not exchanges.

4. There is bitcoin and there is BCH or bitcoin cash. You can sell BCH on Kraken, Poloniex, and Bittrex (on Bittrex it is BCC).

Bitcoin on an exchange, not stock exchange.
Mike Mayor

Activity: 966
Merit: 535

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 12:00:09 AM
Last edit: August 20, 2017, 02:19:46 AM by Mike Mayor

you have only ONE bitcoin and will always have ONE bitcoin no matter what is going on in the world of cryptocurrencies.

what you additionally have is an airdrop. there are actually a lot of them. at least 8 of them are currently running and you can claim them as long as you (1) hold your private keys (2) had any balance in those addresses prior to certain block heights.

BitCore
Byteball
Bitcoin Cash
Stellar

Nice ! Nice ! Do you have a link to the least one so I an see what you talking about and maybe make a claim. Is it just Bitcoin you need to be holding ? I love the airdrops it's a nice way to get some coins and see what they like. Also obviously make a profit.

If it helps anyway yobig was one if the places that gave bitcoin cash. Yolodice also does it.

Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 12:08:12 AM

You only have one Bitcoin, and you have one Bitcoin Cash token. You do not effectively double the amount of BTC you have because there was a network split.

These are both very distinct and individual chains, you cannot use one on the other. If an exchange or website supports BCH, they will specify that it is BCH and that BTC is not accepted for that address. If it is BTC, they will specify that it is only BTC and any BCH will be lost if sent to the same address.

Both are different and have different values as well. Keep that information in mind because it is pretty important.
_Arnold_ (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 12:19:09 PM

You only have one Bitcoin, and you have one Bitcoin Cash token. You do not effectively double the amount of BTC you have because there was a network split.

These are both very distinct and individual chains, you cannot use one on the other. If an exchange or website supports BCH, they will specify that it is BCH and that BTC is not accepted for that address. If it is BTC, they will specify that it is only BTC and any BCH will be lost if sent to the same address.

Both are different and have different values as well. Keep that information in mind because it is pretty important.

Ok

This is confusing to me. So If you send your BitCoin, from your old private adress, from bitadress, to an exchange that supports both types of BitCoin, will you then have two bitcoins showing up on that exchange? Assuming that this exchange supports both bitcoin and bitcoin cash I mean.

If you had one Bitcoin before the split, will you then have one Bitcoin on that exchange and one token called Bitcoin Cash? So they will show up as two coins there?

Or what do you mean that you did not double your amount of bitcoins? I understand that you have the same amount of Bitcoins as before. But you also have as many tokens of Bitcoin cash as you have Bitcoins, after the split. So in effect you doubled your bitcoin even though it is not the same kind of Bitcoin, or is this wrong? Smiley
_Arnold_ (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 12:30:00 PM

BitCore
Byteball
Bitcoin Cash
Stellar

What is an airdrop? Smiley I am a tech-moron so I don't know what that is in practice.

So you can claim all these other coins/tokens as well?

Does that mean that your total value, assuming that you have one Bitcoin, are as follows: 1 bitcoin + 1 bitcore + 1 bitcoin cash + stellar + Byteball= around 5100 dollars?

Interesting that Byteball is worth around 300 dollars or something. Almost as Bitcoin Cash. What is Byteball and when did that airdrop happen?

_Arnold_ (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 12:37:08 PM

2. Don't create addresses on bitaddress, not safe.

Why is it not safe to keep coins through Bitadresses? What is a better/safer way to store them?
Mike Mayor

Activity: 966
Merit: 535

View Profile
August 20, 2017, 06:47:54 PM

BitCore
Byteball
Bitcoin Cash
Stellar

What is an airdrop? Smiley I am a tech-moron so I don't know what that is in practice.

So you can claim all these other coins/tokens as well?

Does that mean that your total value, assuming that you have one Bitcoin, are as follows: 1 bitcoin + 1 bitcore + 1 bitcoin cash + stellar + Byteball= around 5100 dollars?

Interesting that Byteball is worth around 300 dollars or something. Almost as Bitcoin Cash. What is Byteball and when did that airdrop happen?

An airdrop is like a reward for participating in a coin somehow. This can mean holding x amount of whatever the coin in question is to qualify for y coin. Or you simply will be awarded with y coin by taking part in a bounty drop where is you do something small sometimes as small as merely announcing your interest and sending you wallet address to participate. I don't actually know how to do the ones brew master spoke if but I did find this.

https://freedomnode.com/blog/76/how-to-get-free-bitcoins-with-byteball-and-stellar-lumens-giveaways

It basically gives you just under 1% of the value of the bitcoin you held at the time. Also this article confuses me and I'll have to go through it thoroughly to fully understand.

_Arnold_ (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 08:36:33 PM

I still don't understand if my total worth is now about 4900 per Bitcoin?

Because for every bitcoin I can also claim one Bitcoin cash now, or am I right?

So my total value should be about 4200+700=4900

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 08:55:59 PM

As long as you did not have your BitCoin on a bitcoin-stockexchange, during the split fork, you now have both BitCoin cash and Bitcoin core, right?

Yes.

Yes.

Is there some other scenario in which you now only have one BitCoin, except for those who had their BitCoin on an exchange during the split fork?

If you acquired your bitcoin after the fork, or if you no longer have access to the private key where the coins were secured at the time of the fork after having moved one type to a new address.

If you have two BitCoins, how do you go about selling your BitCoins now?

Bitcoins?  The same way as before.

And how do you know if you are selling Bitcoin Core or Bitcoin Cash? 

You choose which one you want to transfer.

This is confusing to me. So If you send your BitCoin, from your old private adress, from bitadress, to an exchange that supports both types of BitCoin, will you then have two bitcoins showing up on that exchange?

Assuming that this exchange supports both bitcoin and bitcoin cash I mean.

No.

If you send 1 Bitcoin, then you will only have 1 Bitcoin showing up. You will still have access to 1 Bitcoin Cash at the original address (since you didn't send that anywhere yet).

If you want 1 Bitcoin Cash to show up, then you'll need to use a Bitcoin Cash wallet and send Bitcoin Cash.

If you had one Bitcoin before the split, will you then have one Bitcoin on that exchange and one token called Bitcoin Cash? So they will show up as two coins there?

Only if you send both (using two separate transactions, one for each type of coin).

Or what do you mean that you did not double your amount of bitcoins? I understand that you have the same amount of Bitcoins as before. But you also have as many tokens of Bitcoin cash as you have Bitcoins, after the split. So in effect you doubled your bitcoin even though it is not the same kind of Bitcoin, or is this wrong? Smiley

Bitcoin is not Bitcoin Cash.  It's confusing because they chose a confusing name.  Imagine if they called the fork Niocib instead.  You'd have 1 Bitcoin and 1 Niocib, not 2 Bitcoin.  The same is true here.  You have 1 Bitcoin and 1 Bitcoin Cash, NOT 2 Bitcoin.

I still don't understand if my total worth is now about 4900 per Bitcoin?

No.  It is 4200 per Bitcoin.

However, you also have received (for free) an equivalent amount of new asset called "Bitcoin Cash".  Your total worth is 700 per Bitcoin Cash.

Because for every bitcoin I can also claim one Bitcoin cash now, or am I right?

Correct. For every Bitcoin, you also have an equivalent quantity of Bitcoin Cash.

So my total value should be about 4200+700=4900

Correct.  Your total value is approximately 4200 for every Bitcoin you own and approximately 700 for every Bitcoin Cash you own. I assume you have other value as well (car? house? clothing? food? etc).
_Arnold_ (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 10:26:25 AM

Ok DannyHamilton

It is as I thought then. Good.

But how do you mean that I can choose which one of bitcoin cash, or regular bitcoin, that I want to send from my private key elsewhere?

Where is the website that could do this?

And how can I send only one type when they are both located on the same private key? I suppose there is some kind of exchange/website that somehow knows what I have in my private wallet? Because you say it is possible to choose one of the two. So the website that makes this possible somehow has a choosing mechanism?

Could you give me some examples of websites where I could do this?

Daimon88

Activity: 397
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 12:53:21 PM

That has been the came question that has been going through my head for a while now, I have been wondering if we own two bitcoins, articles have been springing up from different sources on the web all telling about a new bitcoin cash
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2145

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 01:01:36 PM

BitCore
Byteball
Bitcoin Cash
Stellar

Holding Bitcoin prior to a certain block height isn't the only requirement to be eligible to claim an airdrop, usually it is also required to register your address during a certain time frame, which is done by proving that you own that Bitcoin address by signing a message. If you haven't claimed your coins during an airdrop, then you won't be able to claim them in the future. This makes Byteball and Stellar different from Bitcoin Cash, and the later should be called "airdrop by fork" to emphasize that you can claim it at any time.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
romec1701

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 07:22:34 PM

Have there been any other airdrop by fork events?

pokeronlinestatus

Activity: 455
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 12:18:01 PM

I have been seeing articles online too asking the same thing whether we owned two bitcoin, based on what I learnt from the articles I read, now there are two types of bitcoin, bitcoin core(which was the first and the most popular) and bitcoin cash.
tailwate07

Activity: 368
Merit: 104

View Profile
September 14, 2017, 03:07:42 PM

It actually got me confused sometimes when I was reading articles talking about bitcoin and bitcoin cash, I was wondering whether I was still on earth or not cos I was wondering what happened, but after reading through for sometime I realized what happened.
fullhdpixel

Activity: 2800
Merit: 608

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 10:03:15 AM

That has been the came question that has been going through my head for a while now, I have been wondering if we own two bitcoins, articles have been springing up from different sources on the web all telling about a new bitcoin cash
I think it is personal. Why would somebody tell you about his holding, that h you many bitcoin he has in his bitcoin wallet. It is I think just like that I asked from someone whom I don’t know that how much money you have in your bank account.

So I think this is irrelative question. I am holding more than one. What you think about this? Is this enough for my future, or I should buy more bitcoin.

███████████████▄▄
    ██████████████████████▄
  ██████████████████████████▄
 ███████   ▀████████▀   ████▄
██████████    █▀  ▀    ██████▄
███████████▄▄▀  ██  ▀▄▄████████
███████████          █████████
███████████▀▀▄  ██  ▄▀▀████████
██████████▀   ▀▄  ▄▀   ▀██████▀
 ███████  ▄██▄████▄█▄  █████▀
  ██████████████████████████▀
    ██████████████████████▀
       ███████████████▀▀
.Duelbits.
..THE MOST REWARDING CASINO......
   ▄▄▄▄████▀███▄▄▄▄▄
▄███▄▀▄██▄   ▄██▄▀▄███▄
████▄█▄███▄█▄███▄█▄████
███████████████████████   ▄██▄
██     ██     ██     ██   ▀██▀
██ ▀▀█ ██ ▀▀█ ██ ▀▀█ ██    ██
██  █  ██  █  ██  █  ██
█▌  ██
██     ██     ██     ████  ██
█████████████████████████  ██
████████████████████████████▀
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████▌
       +4,000       
PROVABLY FAIR
GAMES
   $500,000   
MONTHLY
PRIZE POOL
      $10,000     
BLACKJACK
GIVEAWAY
Casabrandy

Activity: 837
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 29, 2017, 10:09:00 AM

I think it is personal. Why would somebody tell you about his holding, that h you many bitcoin he has in his bitcoin wallet. It is I think just like that I asked from someone whom I don’t know that how much money you have in your bank account.

So I think this is irrelative question. I am holding more than one. What you think about this? Is this enough for my future, or I should buy more bitcoin.
Buy more as long as you can especially when price drops, we can get this opportunity so we will be able to earn alot in the future. Having btc now can change our future for better.

VER
       ,█████████p
      ,███████████.
      d███████████b
     d█████P ██████b
    ,██████' `██████.
    d█████P   Y█████b
   d██████     ██████L
  ,██████P     ]██████.
  ███████       Y██████
 d██████L__   __J██████b
,██████████   ██████████p
███████████   ███████████

Our project will provide you with the most
favorable terms of trade, user-friendly interface,
as well as a high level of protection of our platform.

.VeraExchange.
...NEW ERA OF EXCHANGE...

.April 22th.

..JOIN NOW..
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: