Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 08:50:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Devtome: Get Hundreds of Thousands of free Devcoins for writing  (Read 44757 times)
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 04:22:28 AM

Then I propose we make a share harder to get. 5,000 words? 10,000?

How about, each field gets some shares. Reading/writing X shares, arithmetic/math Y shares, artwork Z shares, whatever. Then each field divides up its coins however that field likes to divide up its coins.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
FinShaggy (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 04:23:08 AM

Because if we lower the cap too low, then people are going to have no incentive to write. If I can only get 1-5 shares, and that's only 1-5,000 words, then I can write for like 1 week and never contribute again and get paid forever.

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 04:23:38 AM

Then I propose we make a share harder to get. 5,000 words? 10,000?

How about, each field gets some shares. Reading/writing X shares, arithmetic/math Y shares, artwork Z shares, whatever. Then each field divides up its coins however that field likes to divide up its coins.

-MarkM-

That would work.

FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 04:25:12 AM

But shares can't carry over in that method. Unless there is a script within each group.

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 04:31:15 AM

Sure they can carry over.

Devtome would have some huge number of coins to divide up, and instead of devtome shares being devcoin-receiver-lines each devtome-share would work out at the end of the round to be some number of devcoins, down to eight decimals of accuracy. If it wants some max an author can get, it can carry over the excess to more rounds.

It would be dividing up coins it has received from the fact that devtome as a whole has some number of shares of devcoin rounds.

Same for DevSculptureArtsSite, DevMusicalArtsSite etc etc etc whatever other projects/fields there come to be.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 04:32:09 AM

And we need the other programs to be as developmental for Devcoin as Devtome is. The writing pool will get smaller and smaller, while we get no new developers and no new projects started... Just like always.

FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 04:33:35 AM

Sure they can carry over.

Devtome would have some huge number of coins to divide up, and instead of devtome shares being devcoin-receiver-lines each devtome-share would work out at the end of the round to be some number of devcoins, down to eight decimals of accuracy. If it wants some max an author can get, it can carry over the excess to more rounds.

It would be dividing up coins it has received from the fact that devtome as a whole has some number of shares of devcoin rounds.

Same for DevSculptureArtsSite, DevMusicalArtsSite etc etc etc whatever other projects/fields there come to be.

-MarkM-

Than that would probably work.

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 04:34:35 AM

And we need the other programs to be as developmental for Devcoin as Devtome is. The writing pool will get smaller and smaller, while we get no new developers and no new projects started... Just like always.

Right. That is why so far there are no dev arts sites, dev physics prizes, dev math, dev music, dev beats, dev videos etc etc etc.

All those can come in time, once the total value of the 180,000 devcoins available each round adds up to more than just enough to pay admins, coders, and devtome-authors.

So for example if we would like to also pay beats-recording artists, musicians, videographers and so on only as much between the lot of them as devtome authors, coders and admins all added together get, that would mean we'd have 90,000,000 DVC per round to divide up between admins, coders and devtome authors and 90,000,000 DVC per round to divide up between beats-artists, musicians, videographers and so on.

-MarkM-

FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 04:39:26 AM

Right. That is why so far there are no dev arts sites, dev physics prizes, dev math, dev music, dev beats, dev videos etc etc etc.

All those can come in time, once the total value of the 180,000 devcoins available each round adds up to more than just enough to pay admins, coders, and devtome-authors.

-MarkM-

I feel like if we all talked about it first, and got people together for it. Maybe start the art section on Devtome, and expand the review section...

Then when could have something to work with, instead of paying small cores of people to not know what to do, and to not bring new people on board. There should be a small established "tribe" for the genre before we dedicate a portion of coins to it.

Ex: What if we start the art website, and there are only 3 artists that make 1 project a month. They get 1/3 of 1/3 of coins each, while writers struggle for 1/35th of 1/3rd

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 04:50:46 AM
Last edit: September 20, 2013, 05:01:31 AM by markm

Ex: What if we start the art website, and there are only 3 artists that make 1 project a month. They get 1/3 of 1/3 of coins each, while writers struggle for 1/35th of 1/3rd

Right, that is why we have not yet done the "divide into fields" system.

So far there have been few enough projects that initially it worked fine to give one share to each project, sent to the devcoin address of that project's team's choice of who they choose as lead developer of their project.

Then along came this whole crap about paying insane amounts to random article-writers so they can dump huge numbers of coins and drive exchange rates down driving away investors convincing people the coin is dying etc etc etc.

We could make an "arts other than writing" project for example, and give it a share, sent to the lead developer of the "other arts" section. That lead developer would use those coins to recruit artists. Maybe in the process of looking for artists they would discover some artists who already naturally as a lifestyle spend forty hours OR MORE a month creating free open source art, and nominate them to get onto the receivers list. Those artists would thus be raking in as much coin as the "arts other than writing" project, with which they could recruit helpers / team-mates / whatever to expand their own already long in progress as a lifestyle free open source projects, and so on... Until we hit 4000 devcoin shares per round being allocated; once that happens we could change all projects that get one share to getting one fifth of a share, so as to make room to continue adding more projects. 4000 things getting one share each or 4000 things getting one fifth of a share each makes no difference to how many coins each thing gets, so they are not being paid any less when they all get divided by five. They only start getting paid less when a 4001th thing comes along and starts getting, like all the other things, 1/5 of a share...

We could even, once proper categories exist in the devtome wiki and all pages are part of a category, make categories into projects, give a share or some fraction of a share to each category, and have that category's lead developer use the resulting coins to attract people to help develop stuff for/in that category...

-MarkM-

FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 05:01:59 AM

We could make an "arts other than writing" project for example, and give it a share, sent to the lead developer of the "other arts" section. That lead developer would use those coins to recruit artists. Maybe in the process of looking for artists they would discover some artists who already naturally as a lifestyle spend forty hours OR MORE a month creating free open source art, and nominate them to get onto the receivers list. Those artists would thus be raking in as much coin as the "arts other than writing" project, with which they could recruit helpers / team-mates / whatever to expand their own already long in progress as a lifestyle free open source projects, and so on... Until we hit 4000 devcoin shares per round being allocated; once that happens we could change all projects that get one share to getting one fifth of a share, so as to make room to continue adding more projects. 4000 things getting one share each or 4000 things getting one fifth of a share each makes no difference to how many coins each thing gets, so they are not being paid any less when they all get divided by five. They only start getting paid less when a 4001th thing comes along and starts getting, like all the other things, 1/5 of a share...

-MarkM-

Arts other than writing project would be a good start. That's a good vague topic that can cover a lot of bases. And a recruitment system wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Dreamweaver

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

Trying to find my way.

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 06:57:45 PM

Sorry if this is a newbish question, but I'm curious about what types of writing would count. I ask because I know that I can be paid for writing, but say I write an essay for a class or something..would I be able to get paid for that?

Also, I occasionally write for bestofbitcointalk.com, and I'm assuming as long as it's my own writing I can upload it right? I'm also guessing I'd have to copy&paste it onto devtome to get that acknowledged.

BTC: 15hfE8dXf13Z1n5WQnpoF24Zr7G8Fv1Ghk
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 07:00:39 PM

Sorry if this is a newbish question, but I'm curious about what types of writing would count. I ask because I know that I can be paid for writing, but say I write an essay for a class or something..would I be able to get paid for that?

Also, I occasionally write for bestofbitcointalk.com, and I'm assuming as long as it's my own writing I can upload it right? I'm also guessing I'd have to copy&paste it onto devtome to get that acknowledged.

Well, any kind of writing should work. As long as you proof read and use proper English (unless it's a poem, or a characters line in a book).

markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2013, 11:23:23 AM

Remember that by uploading it you are free open source licensing it, so anyone can then grab it to use for pretty much anything they want to, derive derivative works from it, hack it up to use for other purposes and all those usual free open source activities people do with free open source stuff that is why free open source stuff is so useful to humanity in general. (No one ever again need go cap in hand to Bill Gates or Stephen King for a text editor or a horror novel, for example, once free open source text editors and horror novels exist that can be freely used instead of the proprietary ones...)

-MarkM-

CEG5952

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 08:01:23 PM

Remember that by uploading it you are free open source licensing it, so anyone can then grab it to use for pretty much anything they want to, derive derivative works from it, hack it up to use for other purposes and all those usual free open source activities people do with free open source stuff that is why free open source stuff is so useful to humanity in general. (No one ever again need go cap in hand to Bill Gates or Stephen King for a text editor or a horror novel, for example, once free open source text editors and horror novels exist that can be freely used instead of the proprietary ones...)

-MarkM-

What is the license? Do those who make derivative work have to attribute, etc?

MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 12:26:54 AM

What is the license? Do those who make derivative work have to attribute, etc?
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
MAbtc

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 06:14:36 PM

Hey, so one of my pages was taken down -- devtome says it does not exist now, though it is still linked from my user page and "most recent". Then I can't log in. So I try to reset my password, and devtome tells me that my user name does not exist. WTF is going on?
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2013, 06:26:35 PM

Hey, so one of my pages was taken down -- devtome says it does not exist now, though it is still linked from my user page and "most recent". Then I can't log in. So I try to reset my password, and devtome tells me that my user name does not exist. WTF is going on?

I have no idea, I can't log on either right now. They shut down registration though, and said that may have something to do with it.

MAbtc

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 03:17:29 AM

I have no idea, I can't log on either right now. They shut down registration though, and said that may have something to do with it.
Hmmm. Still having the same issues all day today.  Undecided

I did see the site was taken down for maintenance...
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2013, 03:19:26 AM

Hmmm. Still having the same issues all day today.  Undecided

I did see the site was taken down for maintenance...

Yeah, it's back up but I still don't have an account.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: