Bitcoin Forum
July 11, 2024, 12:14:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Build multi process ASIC  (Read 983 times)
MarcusR (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2017, 11:30:36 AM

Hello

According you, it is possible to build fully customizable machine to change when we want the chipsets to mine sometime Ether, other time mining dash, etc...
I would like know if it's technically possible to create that sort of machine and not a machine dedicated for just X11 or SH256... but something to "switch" by moment.
Thanks
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2017, 11:56:45 AM
Last edit: August 23, 2017, 02:50:27 PM by HagssFIN

Don't you think that Bitmain for example would have already come up with one if it is possible? X11 and SHA-256 algos are way too different for it to be possible.

This is not possible and further discussion is useless.

edit: see my later post below

MarcusR (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2017, 12:02:33 PM

I know algos are different... that is the reason the hardware inside the machine can by launched or not according the coin to mine.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
August 21, 2017, 12:47:27 PM

If you wanted to do it with an ASIC, it'd be a matter of building both cores into the same chip and then integrating a controller that could switch between the two. It's possible, but nobody's done it.

Then there's the FPGA option, where you could program the chip with one type of core and after a while reprogram it with a different core. But then you'd have to build into your miner whatever hardware was required for rewriting the FPGA, and FPGAs are probably going to be more expensive and less efficient.

It's technically possible, but if the major manufacturers can get more money from doing less work (selling simple special-purpose machines rather than more complex general-purpose machines, you buy two miners instead of one) there's no real incentive.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 2612

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 03:13:03 PM
Last edit: August 23, 2017, 03:10:10 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Actually 2-chips in 1 package *has* been done ref SFARAD from early 2015. Was supposed to mine X11 scrypt and BTC.
The company failed miserably and now their datasheet has been stolen/plagiarized by scammers and is being used to peddle Wonder-of-the-Ages Vapor Miners.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
 -Sole remaining active Primary developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
August 22, 2017, 03:23:38 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about that guy. I believe it was scrypt, not X11. Yeah that and gridseeds were dual-algorithm chips. Good call.

Honestly, I didn't really like that chip anyways. Big CPU-style BGA really makes a lot of unnecessary headache for integrators. Spondoolies was really the only group to do it well, exactly one time, and then went back to array of small chips for the SP50.

But that's a whole different argument.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2017, 02:49:42 PM

Ok, I said it wrong, it might be technically possible but most likely it is not economically feasible idea.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 08:21:19 PM

Actually 2-chips in 1 package *has* been done ref SFARAD from early 2015. Was supposed to mine X11 scrypt and BTC.
The company failed miserably and now their datasheet has been stolen/plagiarized by scammers and is being used to peddle Wonder-of-the-Ages Vapor Miners.

SFards was a merger between GridSeed (which made the original "dual miner" chip, Scypt and SHA256 with their GC3355) and WiiBox (which I believe made some of the controllers for the "bigger" Gridseed miners).
 The only reason the GC3355 survived for a significant period of time is that it was quite efficient on the Scrypt side - it's SHA256 side got passed VERY quickly - and that Scrypt wasn't attracting nearly as much competition in ASIC chips as SHA256 was.

For perspective - the GC3355 was PROFITABLE by the time Litecoin hit $8 (and possibly a bit before that) in the current surge, and if you had 3c/KWH electric it was close to break-even even during the long Litecoin run in the $4-$5 range - because it's competition was NOT all that much more efficient. Even the L3+ is only about 10 times as efficient, despite being a few "nodes" newer tech and at least 2 full generations of miner newer.

They failed because their chip was MARGINAL on SHA256 efficiency even when they announced it, took forever to get the miner to market, and the miner turned out to be VERY badly designed at the board level (an issue the Gridseed miners ALSO had) and unreliable, and the SHA256 efficiency BY THE TIME THEY BROUGHT IT TO MARKET was inferior to the competiton, but the price was so high the machine could NOT compete on the Scrypt side (despite being marginally more efficient than most existing Scrypt miners).

The problem with doing a "dual algo" chip like that is you have to split the chip between the two - you CAN'T resuse much of it if you are doing multiple algos (exception for X11/X13/X15 which incorporate multiple different algos in series, so you CAN resuse most of the chip even if you're running one of the "lesser" algos like X11).

FPGA isn't efficient enough to compete with ASIC where ASIC exists - FPGA is about flexability.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 2612

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 12:34:24 AM

Quint, you should get a kick out of what the scammers have made up about the Sfarads chip... SCAM Foxminers
The first 2 points in my post say it all but also saddens one to think of even 1 person being taken by them..

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
 -Sole remaining active Primary developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: