Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:10:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Capitalism (continued from How do you deal with the thought about taxes)  (Read 12560 times)
ktttn (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Capitalism is the crisis.

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 05:35:22 AM

How can you be pro monarchy, and at the same time question its validity?
By considering what type of monarchy, how far it reaches, its history, its ability to be questioned, ect.
We should all be monarchs of our own lives, amirite?

Uh, no, that's not how monarchy works. I am a monarch because I was born to a monarch family. That's it. Yes, the system is stupid that way.
Depends on the monarchy. might defer to
Is yours matrilineal?

Um, sure? Why is matrilineal verifiable but the other isn't?
I might defer to Zarathustra for a more in depth answer than this:

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Ever see a gutterpunk spanging for cryptocoins?
LfkJXVy8DanHm6aKegnmzvY8ZJuw8Dp4Qc
ktttn (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 05:40:24 AM

Mutual aid? You mean, like, I do something nice for you, you do something nice for me? Sounds like capitalism  Grin

Sounds like an open trade to me.  Just replace one side of the barter with cash and you have a clear-cut example of capitalism.  I can think of nothing more unnatural than feeling obliged to help every single person you meet.
Strawman as a mofo, but hey..
Is the profit motive not married to capitalism?
It's not married to mutual aid.
The driving force behind mutual aid is living in a sane world, not using toilers to profit.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
ktttn (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 05:54:06 AM

Capitalism requires both materialism (the nouns) and statism.
I am not convinced yet by that proposition.
It appears that Materialism and Statism exist world-wide.

But I think that it may be possible for people to engage in trade without either, and that capitalism is not innately dependent upon them, even in realms where they exist. 
It occurs to me that we may  be doing so just now, exchanging without either.
We are engaged in the free-trade... of ideas.
We are trading our time, or labor or toil with each other by focusing on the effort of the other and crafting responses, each to the other.  The product of this is non-material, but it is the capital created by our efforts, which we trade with each other, and also freely give to the watchers.  My hoped for gain in this exchange is entirely non-material.  I seek only a better understanding.

If either of us were to stop, the exchange between us would cease.
So long as we consider it equitable, we continue.  And yet we have exchanged nothing material, and there has been no intervening state (notwithstanding PRISM, *hi guys*)
I'd argue, in a behaviorist sense, that knowledge is as material as braincells or transistors are.
I cannot imagine properly calling trade free of state protection of the means of production from the toilers, Capitalism.
Capital itself is nothing more than a stockpile of material.
Capitalism, however, attempts to utterly privatize that stockpile, which as part of all, must belong to all and be used by those who know how to use that of which the stockpile consists.
Competition and mutual aid stand opposed to one another in a sense, but in another sense, competition of types, work well together.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
ktttn (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 06:01:41 AM

Uh, what does inheriting right from a mother have to do with capitalism?

Capitalism is a rather skewed, abusive and amoral margin-based value ascribing system.

You can't have something me both amoral and abusive. It's either abusive and immoral, or amoral and just is.

Mutual Aid, however is "a factor in evolution."

Mutual aid? You mean, like, I do something nice for you, you do something nice for me? Sounds like capitalism  Grin
"I'll pay you IF you work to make me wealthy" is not mutual aid, it's coerced dependency.
Amoral is the mindset, abusive is the action. Perhaps 'unethical abuse or neglect' would have fit better, if actual abuse were not the case.
Also, 'Materialism', not 'maternalism.'

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 01:23:35 PM

I'd argue, in a behaviorist sense, that knowledge is as material as braincells or transistors are.
OK, that surprised me. That would be the Materialist philosophy (that only matter and energy exist), which is distinct from economic materialism (excessive desire to acquire and consume).
Pure Materialists philosophy has become fairly rare since Kant and Hegel.  Mary Midgley, who seems like she might have been a strong philosophical ally of much of what you have written, would probably have argued that Materialist philosophy is a source of either immorality, or amorality. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Midgley

Like you, I favor reduction-ism.  But my skepticism won't let me find my way to pure Materialism.

I cannot imagine properly calling trade free of state protection of the means of production from the toilers, Capitalism.
Agreed.  That is very likely why the Anarcho-capitalists call themselves anarcho-capitalist rather than simply capitalist, in order to distinguish the two.

Capitalism, however, attempts to utterly privatize that stockpile, which as part of all, must belong to all and be used by those who know how to use that of which the stockpile consists.
YES!  In an efficient capitalism (such as the anarcho-capitalists suggest), those that know how to use that-of-which-the-stockpile-consists will have the highest use of that stockpile.  The stockpile will be of higher value to those that know, and they will easily gain it by trade due to those capabilities.  Capitalism is the mechanism by which that superior-knowledge-and-use can be determined.  Without the metrics of capitalism, there is not a way to easily measure that best use, other than force or first-movers.

The an-caps would additionally assert that state interference can have the effect of degrading the efficiency of capitalism.
And that typically once those inefficiencies are discovered, folks tend to attempt to patch it with an additional layer of state interference.
This is often followed by frustrated face-palming and highly energetic communications.

Competition and mutual aid stand opposed to one another in a sense, but in another sense, competition of types, work well together.
This makes sense to me as well.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 01:31:09 PM

Capitalism is a rather skewed, abusive and amoral margin-based value ascribing system.

You can't have something me both amoral and abusive. It's either abusive and immoral, or amoral and just is.

Mutual aid? You mean, like, I do something nice for you, you do something nice for me? Sounds like capitalism  Grin
"I'll pay you IF you work to make me wealthy" is not mutual aid, it's coerced dependency.
Amoral is the mindset, abusive is the action. Perhaps 'unethical abuse or neglect' would have fit better, if actual abuse were not the case.

my wife works to make the shareholders of her company wealthy despite the fact that we have means which make it possible for her to quit at any time with out suffering serious negative repercussions. she works to make her company wealthy because her company helps to make us wealthy also, she works not because she has to but because both parties benefit from the arrangement.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
blablahblah

Activity: 775
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 03:42:50 PM
Last edit: June 15, 2013, 03:55:05 PM by blablahblah

YES!  In an efficient capitalism (such as the anarcho-capitalists suggest), those that know how to use that-of-which-the-stockpile-consists will have the highest use of that stockpile.  The stockpile will be of higher value to those that know, and they will easily gain it by trade due to those capabilities.  Capitalism is the mechanism by which that superior-knowledge-and-use can be determined.  Without the metrics of capitalism, there is not a way to easily measure that best use, other than force or first-movers.

The an-caps would additionally assert that state interference can have the effect of degrading the efficiency of capitalism.
And that typically once those inefficiencies are discovered, folks tend to attempt to patch it with an additional layer of state interference.
This is often followed by frustrated face-palming and highly energetic communications.

I suppose we should clarify whether we're talking about a theory of capitalism, or some practical activities which we label capitalism. In programming terms, the former would be a class, and the latter an object of that class. Edit*: And for that matter, maybe those ought to be classes and objects of trade, whereas capitalism would be a container class or object that houses all of the individual trades? [/edit] To me it seems that whenever someone performs a trade, a calculation -- or simulation -- is done to try and predict the possible outcomes and to choose the best one. Doing these simulations in our heads was obviously beneficial to us humans, and that was probably a factor in why we evolved to have such big brains.

And I wonder if our individual neurons sometimes think the 'brain' they're stuck with is a coercive idiot. If only those individuals could be left alone to mind their own business, homesteading the lipid-lands, and collecting the glucose and oxygen provided by nature. Wink
ktttn (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 01:35:38 AM

OK, that surprised me. That would be the Materialist philosophy (that only matter and energy exist), which is distinct from economic materialism (excessive desire to acquire and consume).
Pure Materialists philosophy has become fairly rare since Kant and Hegel.  Mary Midgley, who seems like she might have been a strong philosophical ally of much of what you have written, would probably have argued that Materialist philosophy is a source of either immorality, or amorality. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Midgley

Like you, I favor reduction-ism.  But my skepticism won't let me find my way to pure Materialism.

Agreed.  That is very likely why the Anarcho-capitalists call themselves anarcho-capitalist rather than simply capitalist, in order to distinguish the two.

YES!  In an efficient capitalism (such as the anarcho-capitalists suggest), those that know how to use that-of-which-the-stockpile-consists will have the highest use of that stockpile.  The stockpile will be of higher value to those that know, and they will easily gain it by trade due to those capabilities.  Capitalism is the mechanism by which that superior-knowledge-and-use can be determined.  Without the metrics of capitalism, there is not a way to easily measure that best use, other than force or first-movers.

This makes sense to me as well.
Reductionism? Not entirely sure about that.
Since the beginning of this, I've been attempting to show how anarchocapitalism is an oxymoron.
The core reason that this is so, is that without the state, capitalists cannot withhold their capital from the creative commons.
Rather than the "highest use," those in the know ie. guilds, can have the only possible use.
The "determination" will be made not by an economic and political metasystem or metric, but by the fittest. This is where capitalism goes wrong, wealthiest, most able to purchase or invest or kill does certainly not equate to most skilled or fittest!

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:40:01 AM

"Is that without the state, capitalists cannot withhold their capital from the creative commons"

i wonder if you could explain what this means. as i understand it creative commons is a type of license that people apply to intellectual property. capital is real property not intellectual property so i'm not understanding the connection.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
ktttn (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 01:49:59 AM

Mutual aid? You mean, like, I do something nice for you, you do something nice for me? Sounds like capitalism  Grin

my wife works to make the shareholders of her company wealthy despite the fact that we have means which make it possible for her to quit at any time with out suffering serious negative repercussions. she works to make her company wealthy because her company helps to make us wealthy also, she works not because she has to but because both parties benefit from the arrangement.
Would you say she is a Toiler? I would imagine that this work depends on a skillset and the arrangement made between the stockholders and her is not one that neccessarily involves wage slavery, but collectivism.
Does she have employees? Are those employees wealthy, if so?
 In turn, are those employees managers themselves?

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 02:37:06 AM

Sounds like an open trade to me.  Just replace one side of the barter with cash and you have a clear-cut example of capitalism.  I can think of nothing more unnatural than feeling obliged to help every single person you meet.
The driving force behind mutual aid is living in a sane world, not using toilers to profit.

If everyone were living in a mutual aid society, and there was no profit in their mutual exchange, everyone would be collectively getting poorer. You are either better off from a trade, and have made a profit, or worse off, and have had a loss. You have either put a lot of your time and effort into something, and after giving that something to someone else came away better from it, or you wasted your time for no reward, and have more time and labor wasting to look forward to.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 02:42:01 AM
Last edit: June 16, 2013, 03:06:50 AM by NewLiberty

Since the beginning of this, I've been attempting to show how anarchocapitalism is an oxymoron.
The core reason that this is so, is that without the state, capitalists cannot withhold their capital from the creative commons.
Rather than the "highest use," those in the know ie. guilds, can have the only possible use.
The "determination" will be made not by an economic and political metasystem or metric, but by the fittest. This is where capitalism goes wrong, wealthiest, most able to purchase or invest or kill does certainly not equate to most skilled or fittest!

Correct.  Being wealthier doesn't provide the incentive to buy something, but having the best use for something does provide that incentive.
If there is a piece of very fine wood, suitable for crafting into a violin, but I only know how to make chairs, even if it is good enough to make a chair I won't want to pay as much as the violin craftsman would pay for that piece of wood.  Even if I am 1000x wealthier, the wood will be bought by the violin craftsman because they can make money with their craft at a higher price for the wood than I would be able to do.  I can make a very fine chair with the second tier of wood, and still make a profit.  This best use determination is the mechanism of capitalist price-discovery.  People pay what something is worth to them, and not more, based on their assessment of what their best use is for the thing.

This can best be achieved through price-discovery, and that metric is lost in the creative commons.  We end up with the first-mover (amoral) or the forceful (immoral) getting the choice piece of wood, rather than the person with the best use.  Or worse, decisions through the guild politics.

Most all trades are win-win (moral).  This is so when the price paid is less than what the payer values it, and more than the seller's cost.  When both have a choice in the trade, either can say no if this is not true.  This is the essence of mutual-aid, and it is why capitalism is moral, and why communism isn't.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 02:43:11 AM
Last edit: June 16, 2013, 03:48:23 AM by Rassah

The only other option is to have someone pay you just because they feel they have to "mutually aid" you. That's just plain dependency. A mutual dependency means you have to pay me for my work, because you need me, and I have to work for you, because I need your payment. Otherwise, with the mutual aid you describe, you have to depend on someone to grow a garden and cook the food for you, but they have no obligations to you, and can just stop supporting you at any time, and then you just starve.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 03:42:02 AM
Last edit: June 16, 2013, 03:53:03 AM by Rassah

Even the most powerful capitalist is still at the mercy of his customers. Wealthiest is only wealthiest because those buying his products have decided to make him so. Money does not appear out of thin air - that wealthy capitalist had to create a lot of benefit to those buying his wares. He did so only because he was the most skilled and the most fittest for the work he could do. (Unless he acquired his wealth by brute force, forcing others to give it to him at a muzzle of a gun, in which case he is no capitalist). And if he should turn bad, he will lose his wealth to boycotts, thefts, and exorbitant security expenses to protect his property and life. Because the fittest is not a man with money and a gun, it's the huge mob of people with guns wielding their collective buying power.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:37:32 PM

Would you say she is a Toiler? I would imagine that this work depends on a skillset and the arrangement made between the stockholders and her is not one that neccessarily involves wage slavery, but collectivism.

Yes she toils. Yes she has a skillset. Yes she has employees.

Her employees all have flush toilets, something that even kings did not have a few hundred years ago. They all can afford cloths with thread counts that are higher than any cloth in the world a few hundred years ago. They all earn enough to feed themselves for a whole day with like 1 hour of work, a few hundred years ago that alone would have required at least 8 hours of hard unskilled labor. They all have cars, nicer cars than ours actually, a few hundred years ago they would have taken horses to work. I could go on but i think you get the point. When taken in historical context yes her employees are wealthy, the are absurdly fucking wealthy every last one of them. The sort of poverty i am describing gripped the world for hundreds of thousands of years before we discovered capitalism which then rocketed the modern poor to the status of ancient kings in a couple of generations. If you cant understand why someone who makes 10 dollars an hour is wealthy than you are a spoiled brat who understands no historical context. So the executives at her company are more wealthy, so what, who cares if it makes some people more better off if it makes everyone better off in general.

No the employees she manages are not managers themselves. Her employees are unskilled laborers.

ktttn (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 10:10:23 PM

If everyone were living in a mutual aid society, and there was no profit in their mutual exchange, everyone would be collectively getting poorer. You are either better off from a trade, and have made a profit, or worse off, and have had a loss. You have either put a lot of your time and effort into something, and after giving that something to someone else came away better from it, or you wasted your time for no reward, and have more time and labor wasting to look forward to.
Where does the wealth go, then? How could everyone across the board possibly get poorer unless goods were being jettisoned into space?
I'm attemping to describe equalibrium, not avoidence of profit.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
ktttn (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 10:17:33 PM

Correct.  Being wealthier doesn't provide the incentive to buy something, but having the best use for something does provide that incentive.
If there is a piece of very fine wood, suitable for crafting into a violin, but I only know how to make chairs, even if it is good enough to make a chair I won't want to pay as much as the violin craftsman would pay for that piece of wood.  Even if I am 1000x wealthier, the wood will be bought by the violin craftsman because they can make money with their craft at a higher price for the wood than I would be able to do.  I can make a very fine chair with the second tier of wood, and still make a profit.  This best use determination is the mechanism of capitalist price-discovery.  People pay what something is worth to them, and not more, based on their assessment of what their best use is for the thing.

This can best be achieved through price-discovery, and that metric is lost in the creative commons.  We end up with the first-mover (amoral) or the forceful (immoral) getting the choice piece of wood, rather than the person with the best use.  Or worse, decisions through the guild politics.

Most all trades are win-win (moral).  This is so when the price paid is less than what the payer values it, and more than the seller's cost.  When both have a choice in the trade, either can say no if this is not true.  This is the essence of mutual-aid, and it is why capitalism is moral, and why communism isn't.
A first mover with the right price will always win unless prevented with force.
I'm not understanding how price discovery is strictly capitalist.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 10:19:25 PM

Where does the wealth go, then? How could everyone across the board possibly get poorer unless goods were being jettisoned into space?
I'm attemping to describe equalibrium, not avoidence of profit.

Oh, you know how those ghettos get.  Those people.  Litter everywhere, they breed like rabbits, and no matter how much we give them, they trash it and scream for more Angry
Only so much a feller can give, you know what i'm saying?  They took mah taxes & spent them on hookers & blow, now there's none left for nobody!  That where da wealth go Angry
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 10:21:52 PM

A first mover with the right price will always win unless prevented with force.
I'm not understanding how price discovery is strictly capitalist.

Price discovery = finding out just what a mother will pay to keep her child alive.
ktttn (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 10:25:31 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2013, 10:37:17 PM by ktttn

Yes she toils. Yes she has a skillset. Yes she has employees.

Her employees all have flush toilets, something that even kings did not have a few hundred years ago. They all can afford cloths with thread counts that are higher than any cloth in the world a few hundred years ago. They all earn enough to feed themselves for a whole day with like 1 hour of work, a few hundred years ago that alone would have required at least 8 hours of hard unskilled labor. They all have cars, nicer cars than ours actually, a few hundred years ago they would have taken horses to work. I could go on but i think you get the point. When taken in historical context yes her employees are wealthy, the are absurdly fucking wealthy every last one of them. The sort of poverty i am describing gripped the world for hundreds of thousands of years before we discovered capitalism which then rocketed the modern poor to the status of ancient kings in a couple of generations. If you cant understand why someone who makes 10 dollars an hour is wealthy than you are a spoiled brat who understands no historical context. So the executives at her company are more wealthy, so what, who cares if it makes some people more better off if it makes everyone better off in general.

No the employees she manages are not managers themselves. Her employees are unskilled laborers.
Ouch. Do you acknowledge the need for abject slavery, wasting of resources, and poverty way down the line in the global picture to allow for this wealth to be sustained?
Edit: History, like Imperialism? Colonialism? Fraudulent trade? The usury that sparked the Renaissance? Genocide over resources? Insane factory conditions?
I've lived under bridges. I have $0 to my name for over 4 years. Don't be mean, buddy, I get what you're saying. I just don't think you get where it comes from.

Wit all my solidarities,
-ktttn
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: