Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 07:02:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: World War III and BTC  (Read 3999 times)
btc237ftw (OP)

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:03:18 AM

There are rumors of war everywhere as you guys know...

I can write a whole book showing evidence for WWIII coming really soon... and my question for you is.. What kind of influence do you think such a war would have on Bitcoin?

P.S
I started a very nice discussion on this subject on another section of the forum, and I thought we should continue it where the main guys are hanging, I.E here...
Here's a link to the original post:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=208229.msg2191792#msg2191792
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:19:37 AM
Last edit: May 20, 2013, 11:29:42 AM by solex

I think you will find that wars have been raging somewhere in the world, continuously, since Julius Caesar sat in the Roman Senate.

Edit: remembered seeing this:
http://kottke.org/12/09/1000-years-of-war-in-5-minutes

FlappySocks

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 01:54:44 PM

Christian propaganda by the sounds of it.  Book of Revelation.

Wars will always happen.  There is no Utopia.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 02:06:27 PM

There is no reason to think World War 3 is more likely now that it was in the 1960s or any time since.

The interesting question is why you would want to believe in it.  Does the feeling that the good life can't last fulfil some kind of psychic need in you?
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 02:08:45 PM

I can write a whole book showing evidence for WWIII coming really soon... and my question for you is.. What kind of influence do you think such a war would have on Bitcoin?
We'll all die and all of this, and anything else that humanity ever did will cease to matter.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
keelba

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 02:17:58 PM

Is this a debate about whether WWIII is imminent or not, or is this more of a thought experiment about how Bitcoin affects or would be affected during a world-wide conflict? I think the latter is far more interesting.
btc237ftw (OP)

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:09:09 PM

Is this a debate about whether WWIII is imminent or not, or is this more of a thought experiment about how Bitcoin affects or would be affected during a world-wide conflict? I think the latter is far more interesting.

About the latter
Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:15:41 PM

Bad. If internet is cut-out and re-routing is stopped there might be drastic effects on network.

So WW3 might be really bad for network and lead to multiple forks, which might be an issue or not...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
alkuluku

Activity: 110

🙏

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 03:29:42 PM

Bad. If internet is cut-out and re-routing is stopped there might be drastic effects on network.

So WW3 might be really bad for network and lead to multiple forks, which might be an issue or not...
If nukes are used (and I assume they are in a worldwide conflict) we'll lose a bit more than the internet.

Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 04:29:38 PM

If nukes are used (and I assume they are in a worldwide conflict) we'll lose a bit more than the internet.

A few nations have already blocked Internet at time of crisis. If other nation did this too, this time western ones. Or mandated only government traffic were to be allowed would be bad. Internet is rather fragile thing in some parts. I'm not sure if it would survive in good condition if the cyber wars were really to start...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
doom309

Activity: 170
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 05:34:28 PM

if, for instance, global conflict got underway, and the internet remained relatively unaffected, or people found ways to get it up and running or splintered off from the govt controlled web, and keep it going, then bitcoin could be really interesting, for instance it could be possible to continue to do business with "the enemy" when cash or fiat bank accounts would be otherwise frozen to this activty
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 09:04:54 PM

I can see Bitcoin being used for small bands of operatives coordinating anonymously online via encrypted messages, paying for military grade weapons via the anonymous Tor gun site and the group being able to amass an army better equipped than some small nations.

So essentially, a small group of people could use Bitcoin to take over a nation.

As far as its effects on a world war. Think the French resistance but being funded completely with Bitcoin.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Skrapps

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 09:45:43 PM

If such an event occurred anytime soon or the near future (highly unlikely IMO), I can only see Bitcoin crash and/or stall in development.

This is assuming that Bitcoin's umbilical cord is to the US dollar (and I think it a fair assumption, no?). As a nation, Bitcoin would only harm US interest in wartime, and drastic measures to severe Bitcoin and communication networks with enemy nations would be supported. Would it be effective? At least somewhat, possibly greatly effective.

In other words, it would be very suspicious and difficult for private citizens to argue their freedom for pursuing, maintaining and developing BTC during wartime - for any nation. Internet & BTC = Global Interest (as a whole). World War = Nation Interest (specific/particular).

I can see Bitcoin being used for small bands of operatives coordinating anonymously online via encrypted messages, paying for military grade weapons via the anonymous Tor gun site and the group being able to amass an army better equipped than some small nations.

So essentially, a small group of people could use Bitcoin to take over a nation.

As far as its effects on a world war. Think the French resistance but being funded completely with Bitcoin.

Yes, but only if Bitcoin's value were stable and applicable across many currencies and cultures. As of now, only private BTC wealthy interests could supply smaller armies with guns, food, and supplies; but it would be those small armies that would have trouble getting guns, food and supplies with Bitcoin, or the private interest would need to deal only with other believers in BTC who could supply. Bitcoin doesn't have any real power right now - regardless how you define 'power' - only potential.

Far future, and if BTC is established, global and independent? Then yes, very effective for funding resistance. And it could transcend any nation's fiat if the internet and personal electronics are seen just as strong and independent.
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 10:17:35 PM

Yes, but only if Bitcoin's value were stable and applicable across many currencies and cultures. As of now, only private BTC wealthy interests could supply smaller armies with guns, food, and supplies; but it would be those small armies that would have trouble getting guns, food and supplies with Bitcoin, or the private interest would need to deal only with other believers in BTC who could supply. Bitcoin doesn't have any real power right now - regardless how you define 'power' - only potential.

Far future, and if BTC is established, global and independent? Then yes, very effective for funding resistance. And it could transcend any nation's fiat if the internet and personal electronics are seen just as strong and independent.

It was already shown that someone could put together a small 20 person coup to overthrow a government via Bitcoin.

Reporter at Gizmodo went through the simulated steps of trying to put together such an operation with much success:
http://gizmodo.com/5927379/the-secret-online-weapons-store-thatll-sell-anyone-anything

Absolutely, we can accommodate your request, but we need more parameters such as your exact arms needs and destination country. We only deal with small arms and equipment, but if you need artillery, MANPADS [Man-portable air-defense systems], ordinance, APCs, Helos we do have resources and can make certain introductions for a fee.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Skrapps

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:45:45 PM

It was already shown that someone could put together a small 20 person coup to overthrow a government via Bitcoin.

Reporter at Gizmodo went through the simulated steps of trying to put together such an operation with much success:
http://gizmodo.com/5927379/the-secret-online-weapons-store-thatll-sell-anyone-anything

True, but this is an isolated, plan coup and very short term. Its one shot, hit or miss; success rate varies wildly and average is a coin flip: http://www.uky.edu/~clthyn2/powell-thyne-JPR-2011.pdf

In Bitcoin's (and internet's) current state, I can't see it being a real factor in a lengthy World War. Perhaps if a nation conquered the US, then any US Resistance Fighters could use BTC to fund themselves. Though supporters of BTC and the resistance would still be few and far between, and at the current size it would be pretty easy to trace involved parties methinks.

Off note: Isn't the Armory closed down?
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 10:56:03 PM

Bitcoin requires electricity and an Internet connection, and it's difficult to imagine they would remain constant and unaffected in case of a global conflict. Then, from what I've seen, even with my very limited experience of war, war is about survival, meaning that only physical goods remain valuable. When there's only one bread left in a shop, the shop owner will only sell it to the guy paying with hard currency.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
BTC Books

Activity: 84

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 11:02:03 PM

Bitcoin IS WWIII.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
Elwar
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 11:52:18 PM

It would be easier to get out of your war torn country and make it to a neutral country with bitcoins than it would take to get out with gold or money.

And it would be easier for family to send money to their family members under attack.

Imagine the jews in WWII having access to Bitcoin to bribe their way out or be able to pay for things while on the run.

BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:35:37 AM

Quote from: Skrapps
In Bitcoin's (and internet's) current state, I can't see it being a real factor in a lengthy World War. Perhaps if a nation conquered the US, then any US Resistance Fighters could use BTC to fund themselves. Though supporters of BTC and the resistance would still be few and far between, and at the current size it would be pretty easy to trace involved parties methinks.

Off note: Isn't the Armory closed down?

The Armory is closed but there are other websites still open that sell the same stuff.

Ok, so the U.S. routinely sends money to whichever government or rebel group it happens to agree with. Say, hypothetically, a group of U.S. citizens wanted to support a different rebel group since they disagreed with U.S. foreign policy. Say a Women's Church Quilting Group decided to do this because the particular rebel group the U.S. Gov't was using their tax dollars to support, was engaging in mass rape of "suspected government agents" (teenage girls taking photos of protests on their iPhones, true story, guess where) as an insurgency tactic.
Their bank isn't going to let them wire money to a "terrorist group" in Oilistan. Where does bitcoin come in? Well, the group they are trying to support decides to accept bitcoin. Voila! Not only can money be instantly transferred from across the world, but it can then be used on Tor websites to order weapons, and it could be sold OTC to buy other things like food/medical supplies/etc. Another consideration is that now this "rebel group" or government can secretly contact other governments who may support them vocally but be afraid to actually wire them money for fear of repercussion from Western powers. So these countries' intelligence services can use bitcoin transfers to keep it anonymous.

All of this stuff is highly illegal so of course I don't do any of it myself nor do I condone behaviour that might be considered treasonous. But this is how Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies could play a role in a world war or, in fact, any war.

bennett616

Activity: 70

http://www.freebitcointips.co.uk/

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 12:36:53 AM

I fear that with WW3 comes a loss of internet/network........

Andy B

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: