Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:23:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a whale?  (Read 4508 times)
budz0425

Activity: 504
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 04:20:51 PM

From the definition of what I everybody have given, it just seem that every one of us can be referred to as whale. In a case where price is rising and threads encouraging people to buy more, the moment we move in that direction which then further increase the price of bitcoin, then we have all agreed to influence price and the same thing goes for when price of bitcoin is falling. For the fact that we all agree to pursue a particular decision with the objective to influence price, we are all whale.
When we said whale it means those are the investors that creates a material impact in the price of bitcoin, just like what is happening right now that for sure some whales are selling their bitcoin that is why the price now at the moment dropped by $1100, but don't panic for sure some whales are also waiting for this price for them to buy more.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
voltesbit777

Activity: 910
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 08:24:48 PM

What is your definition of a whale? How many BTCs do you need to have to be a whale?

I think in my own understanding about it "WHALE" is an illustration to those people who is Rich or wealthy type of a person that has an authority to control the capacity volume market in trading industry in terms of value. Meaning these are the big investors in bitcoin industry Smiley
innocent93
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 09:51:31 PM

What is your definition of a whale? How many BTCs do you need to have to be a whale?
To become a whale you must have at least 1 000 bitcoins to be able to manipulate the marketplace. Yes it is a lot of money in our days but couple of years ago was something else.
ubeng07

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 10:02:13 PM

I think in my own understanding about it "WHALE" is an illustration to those people who is Rich or wealthy type of a person that has an authority to control the capacity volume market in trading industry in terms of value. Meaning these are the big investors in bitcoin industry Smiley

If your picture is like that I think we should better collect Bitcoin that much. Wink
on how many bitcoin that you have for it is better to have that atleast a lot of bitcoin for me this is where you may test on how rich you are and as of now we can see the thing of possibility on how wealth you are can be for.
gabmen

Activity: 1246
Merit: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 07:51:26 AM

If your picture is like that I think we should better collect Bitcoin that much. Wink
on how many bitcoin that you have for it is better to have that atleast a lot of bitcoin for me this is where you may test on how rich you are and as of now we can see the thing of possibility on how wealth you are can be for.

It doesn't just have to be many bitcoins, a whale is someone who has enough btc to affect the market. We're talkig about probably millions of dollars here. Volatility can be caused by these people who manipulate the movement of cpins through pumping and dumping

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Report to moderator 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..███████████████████████████████
mharz

Activity: 336
Merit: 260

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 09:25:03 AM

For me whale is a large investors who have huge influence to the crypto currency industry. These are the people that gives life to the digital world, I guess without them bitcoin will not fluctuate clearly and can't become famous in the world.

Moreover thru helps of that whales bitcoin will get their popularity in crypto currency world.
Jarx

Activity: 574
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 10:16:47 AM

For me whale is a large investors who have huge influence to the crypto currency industry. These are the people that gives life to the digital world, I guess without them bitcoin will not fluctuate clearly and can't become famous in the world.

Moreover thru helps of that whales bitcoin will get their popularity in crypto currency world.

What do you think, is the biggest miners are the whales? Or the traders only?
I think that both kinds are comparable.

I also disagree that "a whales" are interested in BTC popularity: that means growing numbers of competitors. They might be interested in slow growth of crypto popularity, but totally not the boom.
inskraer

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 02:43:03 PM

Bitcoin whales are people or the groups which possess a huge amount bitcoin and can influence market.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 02:45:17 PM

A whale is like God for the unsophisticated trader. A guy nobody has ever seen but must surely be responsible for all my losses.
 Cheesy

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Edraket31

Activity: 1190
Merit: 511

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 04:50:16 PM

What do you think, is the biggest miners are the whales? Or the traders only?
I think that both kinds are comparable.

I also disagree that "a whales" are interested in BTC popularity: that means growing numbers of competitors. They might be interested in slow growth of crypto popularity, but totally not the boom.
Well, cyptocurrency has been their passion or they have seen a great  potential earnings in it so we cannot blame them if they want to buy as much as they can or if they want to earn as much as they want, we can do it as well if we really want to, don't be envious with them as they deserve it because they truly believe in this opportunity.

peymanrmi

Activity: 336
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 07:54:34 PM

Who has a much amount of a coin and can have a great effect on market
BettingTips

Activity: 238
Merit: 102

OPEN GAMING PLATFORM

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 08:26:21 PM

You can understand simply that the whales are people whom has huge capital to dump or pump the price as they want, they have ability to control the price of any coins or token on the market. If you wanna become a whale I think you must have thousand BTC at least to be able to control the price of the coin you want.

VclDm

Activity: 392
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 08:55:22 PM

Whales to me are very wealthy investors capable of manipulating and controlling the value of an altcoin or even bitcoin at their will. Whales are the main reason for strong fluctuations during this time as profit taking activities at high prices and buy at low prices. For small investors I think you can only survive in this market if you invest in the whale trend, otherwise you will lose.

dhas

Activity: 168
Merit: 120

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 09:39:00 PM

Whales to me are very wealthy investors capable of manipulating and controlling the value of an altcoin or even bitcoin at their will. Whales are the main reason for strong fluctuations during this time as profit taking activities at high prices and buy at low prices. For small investors I think you can only survive in this market if you invest in the whale trend, otherwise you will lose.
Your right whale is a solely person who have high amount of interest to invest in any crypto currencies. Moreover as per my opinion more crypto currencies are looking whales because they want to increase the status of their crypto in the market. More developers looking for a whale because it was one of the huge investors who can help with them to promote their crypto or ICO's in the digital currency community.
arlington

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 09:55:30 PM

the whales are people who go big and buy with huge capital but how many btc one need to become a whale it depends in coin I guess, so if you are into waves for example you would need more than 100btc to be a whale there but if you are investing in a coin with small volume than even 10btc is ok to be a whale of that coin.
gmughals

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 10:26:12 PM
Merited by StallionMosquito (1)

A whale is a person who have lots of money and is able to manipulate a market. It may be, however, that the term “whale” has been applied to the wrong class of investor because the players described below are truly the biggest creatures in the ocean. whale is frequently used to describe the big money Bitcoin players that show their hand in the Bitcoin market. The ocean as a metaphor for the market is apt, since one can then extend it to include the big fish and the small fish; sharks; rallies as feeding frenzies; waves as market moves; and so forth.
burdagol12345

Activity: 294

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 10:29:15 PM

The whale are those are the group of big players who cultivate the circulation of cryptocurrency,sometimes they could manage a marketing strategy  that either they would dump the value of all coins and in the end they buy rhem into a  lowest price and sell it into the highest price.becoming a whale we dont know how much of asset do you need to become one of them,but in my own thinking they are the groups of richest people in the world, that compose of all big people in the world of industry.
ngavanngo22

OPEN GAMING PLATFORM

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 11:44:36 PM

"Whale" in the dictionary is an animal that kills his own kind of underwater. On this forum, whale refers to the investor or the big boss who owns a huge amount of cryptos, capable of manipulating rates on the cryptocurrencies market. At the present time, if you own more than 100 BTCs congratulations you joined the whale team Smiley)

WhaleHunter

Activity: 187

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 11:53:32 PM

What is your definition of a whale?

A bitcoin whale is generally a person who holds a huge amount of bitcoins in their wallet. And it those whales let say sold a huge chunk of bitcoin, it could have some effect on the price. I think they also manipulate the price from behind using this method. I also believed that this maybe a individual or a group of persons or even a company. So basically they are market movers because of their influence on the price.

How many BTCs do you need to have to be a whale?

It depends. Once individual can owns 1000 btc and can be called a mini-whale. And also there are dolphins as well. But those group of person who holds around 10000 or more can be definitely called a whaler. And I think early adopters of bitcoin has literally thousands of btc as well so they can categorically can be called as whale as well.

By now I don't know how many early adopters of Bitcoin are still in possess of their coins - I believe most of them would probably have sold most of their coins on the way. So current whales are probably more likely to be speculators. Early adopters who still have their coins are likely to not move them. And usually people would call a BTC whale someone who has an active presence in the market, so that he can be "perceived" as a whale. Trust me, I am the Whalehunter Smiley

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
Man21

Merit: 11

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 05:24:12 AM

A whale s those who has many capital to trade that it can control  the trading. They can pump and dump the prices. I do not know how much capital needed but a lot of bitcoin to influenced the prices.

Yes, thats the definiton related with cryptocurrency and there is other definition too related other aspect.
However, we are in cryptocurrency then thats more than enough about definition. Regarding how much, its not pretty sure. I think we need more than 25% minimum of the total supply of bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: