Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:27:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Homeland Security raids mall kiosks, claims they "fund terrorists"  (Read 5727 times)
AzureEngineer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 01:25:34 PM

No, it still is. It is not only sensational, it is a complete lie.

Since you keep moving the goalposts, your actual issue with the article is hard to ascertain: it's either a lie or I should be glad that DHS shut down a possible terrorist funding operation.

Which is it?

Those two choices do not contradict one another and are not mutually exclusive. You're title still says the DHS claimed the products "fund terrorists." That is a lie.

My name was simply a play on "Blue Engineer" from Team Fortress. I am not affiliated with Microsoft or the Azure project.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Severian (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 03:12:12 PM

That is a lie.

Out of curiosity, is defending the honor of DHS a hobby or a job?
AzureEngineer

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:10:33 PM

That is a lie.

Lying is not acceptable, whether it is done by the government or by you. Every one of these threads you make obfuscates real issues. You dilute an otherwise serious topic by adding bias and lies.

Every time you make up garbage, you cause more and more people to assume that you and people like you make up garbage. I'm all for criticizing the government, but you're doing it in the wrong manner.

My name was simply a play on "Blue Engineer" from Team Fortress. I am not affiliated with Microsoft or the Azure project.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 06:26:21 PM

That is a lie.
Lying is not acceptable, whether it is done by the government or by you.
Well, given that they're doing it wholesale, and this is just one tiny fudge, aren't there bigger fish to fry? I mean, all he did was leave out "could."

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
AzureEngineer

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:48:03 PM

Well, given that they're doing it wholesale, and this is just one tiny fudge, aren't there bigger fish to fry? I mean, all he did was leave out "could."

One word is all it takes to make the truth a lie. The real question is why was the title "Police seize counterfeit goods from stores" not chosen? The answer is obvious: because the truth is boring.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 07:10:00 PM

One word is all it takes to make the truth a lie. The real question is why was the title "Police seize counterfeit goods from stores" not chosen? The answer is obvious: because the truth is boring.
So now you're claiming it wasn't DHS?

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Severian (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:14:52 PM

I'm all for criticizing the government, but you're doing it in the wrong manner.

The difference between the government claiming that something "could fund terrorism" or that something "funds terrorism" is so slight as to be non-existent. If the DHS publicly claimed that AzureEngineer "could be a pedophile" or that AzureEngineer "is a pedophile" after raiding your house, do you think that the average Joe would see a difference?

Nope.
AzureEngineer

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:22:54 PM

Please point out where I claimed that. I also suggest looking up the definition of the word "police."

The difference between the government claiming that something "could fund terrorism" or that something "funds terrorism" is so slight as to be non-existent. If the DHS publicly claimed that AzureEngineer "could be a pedophile" or that AzureEngineer "is a pedophile" after raiding your house, do you think that the average Joe would see a difference?

Nope.

What the "average joe" thinks is irrelevant. Are you trying to make an intelligent discussion or are you just trying to bullshit the "average joe"? The latter seems more likely.

Severian (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:26:31 PM

What the "average joe" thinks is irrelevant.

DHS puts out their explanations of "could fund terrorism" for the average Joe, not for those in the DHS.

Are you trying to make an intelligent discussion

Yes, but it would be nice if you helped.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 07:26:59 PM

Please point out where I claimed that. I also suggest looking up the definition of the word "police."
One word is all it takes to make a lie.

AzureEngineer

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:29:26 PM

DHS puts out their explanations of "could fund terrorism" for the average Joe, not for those in the DHS.

Which contradicts your title.

Yes, but it would be nice if you helped.

You've already been backed into a wall and given up once, this must mean its happening again?

This is correct, but irrelevant. My previous statement remains to be correct. Make sure you know the English language before you make posts in it.

Severian (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:30:47 PM

You've already been backed into a wall and given up once, this must mean its happening again?

Why is this being made about me? This is about DHS busting trademark infringers and claiming that they could fund terrorism as the excuse.
MooC Tals

Activity: 644

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:34:25 PM

Whats next the internet has terrorists dealing in bitcoins. Uh OH
AzureEngineer

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:36:18 PM

Why is this being made about me? This is about DHS busting trademark infringers and claiming that they could fund terrorism as the excuse.

Counterfeit items are a danger in and of themselves. They are often made without industry regulations (because the manufactureres are illegal in the first place). The DHS handled the situation because the operation behind the counterfeit items may have also been a terrorist organization. What exactly is your problem with any of that?

MooC Tals

Activity: 644

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:39:18 PM

Counterfeit items are a danger in and of themselves. They are often made without industry regulations (because the manufactureres are illegal in the first place). The DHS handled the situation because the operation behind the counterfeit items may have also been a terrorist organization. What exactly is your problem with any of that?

Busting local kiosks should be done by local police after their done busting everyone for city infractions.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 07:40:02 PM

This is correct, but irrelevant. My previous statement remains to be correct. Make sure you know the English language before you make posts in it.
So should you.

police  plural of po·lice (Noun)
Noun

The civil force of a federal or local government, responsible for the prevention and detection of crime and the maintenance of public order.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is a cabinet department of the United States federal government, created in response to the September 11 attacks, and with the primary responsibilities of protecting the United States of America and U.S. territories (including protectorates) from and responding to terrorist attacks, man-made accidents, and natural disasters.

AzureEngineer

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:42:20 PM

Busting local kiosks should be done by local police after their done busting everyone for city infractions.

DHS are the police when it involves crimes such as these. Its one of the main reasons the department was created.

So should you.

po·lice/pəˈlis/ Show Spelled [puh-lees] Show IPA noun, verb, po·liced, po·lic·ing. 
noun
1. Also called police force.  an organized civil force for maintaining order, preventing and detecting crime, and enforcing the laws.
2. ( used with a plural verb  ) members of such a force: Several police are patrolling the neighborhood. 
3. the regulation and control of a community, especially for the maintenance of public order, safety, health, morals, etc.
4. the department of the government concerned with this, especially with the maintenance of order.
5. any body of people officially maintained or employed to keep order, enforce regulations, etc.

Lol, try again?

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 07:44:37 PM

DHS are the police when it involves crimes such as these.
Which ones? The ones involving terrorists?

Or trademark violations?

AzureEngineer

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:46:06 PM

Which ones? The ones involving terrorists?

Or trademark violations?

The former, however if the former involves the latter then the jurisdiction is easily expanded. As the article states, the DHS obtained the necessary warrants before proceeding.

Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:47:22 PM

The problem is that Homeland Security people are sitting about waiting since 2002 waiting for something they can fight back against.  Nothing has happened that they can stop. So they are using counter-terrorist institutions and legislation against hucksters selling fake perfumes and jeans.

I agree the hucksters needed to be taken down.  I agree that the Homeland Security people are more use doing that than sitting about playing pocket billiards.  But what does bother me is that its called "Homeland Security" and its being used for routine police work.  

If they had done the same raid and never once mentioned terrorism or Homeland Security, no-one would object.

Severian's point in making the post is that petty crime is being attacked by elite anti-terrorist forces backed by the Patriot Act.  I'm sure you can see why that is a bad thing.

The other guys piling in saying this proves that all police action is evil and illegitimate? Ignore them.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: