Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:43:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripple trying to take over the Bitcoin Discussion thread  (Read 3845 times)
yocko06 (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

1Kgyk4nQSzb3Pm9E9vWiGVyJ6jpPwripKf

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:03:54 AM

So it is like Ripple is the Romney campaign with paid supporters while Bitcoin is the Ron Paul campaign with unpaid grassroots supporters.

LOL....

No, its more like Bitcoin is Ron Paul: completely rigid in his ideology and too set in his ways to consider other possibilities.

And Ripple is Rand Paul: younger, more open minded, more energy, able to get more things done because he tries to work within the system instead of trying to challenge it directly.

Now we have it. You clearly hate bitcoin and you are only on this forum to promote ripple xrp or whatever else you can make money from or scam people with.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:04:40 AM

can Ripple technology work without the use of the "built in currency"?
No, because XRP is needed to facilitate transfers.

Having a native currency is why Ripple is succeeding where Open Transactions and the original Ripple failed.

Is it possible that the native currency could be randomly distributed using proof of work instead of a premine? I think the answer is yes. But I prefer the current model where developers and other staff can get paid.

misterbigg
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:05:48 AM

Now we have it. You clearly hate bitcoin and you are only on this forum to promote ripple xrp or whatever else you can make money from or scam people with.

No, actually I am a fan both of Ron Paul and Rand Paul! Why does it have to be either/or?

I definitely don't hate Bitcoin, in fact I bet I am holding significantly more bitcoins than you. Would you like to make a small wager?

yocko06 (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:06:12 AM

Ripple is not an alternate currency, although there is a currency built into it....

Interesting Paradox.

BTW, can Ripple technology work without the use of the "built in currency"?

and because ripple owners own a majority share (probably all) of the XRP in existence
yocko06 (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:11:11 AM

No, actually I am a fan both of Ron Paul and Rand Paul! Why does it have to be either/or?

I definitely don't hate Bitcoin, in fact I bet I am holding significantly more bitcoins than you. Would you like to make a small wager?

I don't think so buddy but I'm not willing to make any wagers with you. If you do have any bitcoins you have probably scammed for them and you are only holding them because you know bitcoin is a good investment. Your ripple/XRP currency you are trying to sell to everyone has nothing on the so called ridged bitcoin. 
allten

Activity: 455
Merit: 250

You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 12:13:55 AM

Ripple is not an alternate currency, although there is a currency built into it....

Interesting Paradox.

and because ripple owners own a majority share (probably all) of the XRP in existence

So, sounds like we wait until they "open" their "open source" code and we make it so it uses Bitcoin instead of ripple.
that's assuming this technology can really accomplish what it claims to in a decentralized fashion.

stslimited

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:17:47 AM

I like Ripple

although I dont understand how many Ripples I need to make an IOU of any decent amount
yocko06 (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 12:57:26 AM

Interesting Paradox.

So, sounds like we wait until they "open" their "open source" code and we make it so it uses Bitcoin instead of ripple.
that's assuming this technology can really accomplish what it claims to in a decentralized fashion.

This is exactly what needs to happen. open source then start it again if it's any good. other than that ripple is rubbish
ihsotas

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 02:32:47 AM

I don't think so buddy but I'm not willing to make any wagers with you. If you do have any bitcoins you have probably scammed for them and you are only holding them because you know bitcoin is a good investment. Your ripple/XRP currency you are trying to sell to everyone has nothing on the so called ridged bitcoin. 

Ha, you know you would lose. It would be trivial to audit that, too; just have you and misterbigg send transactions to your own alternative wallets. You've backed down from the challenge; why not just back off this thread, coward?
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 03:55:19 AM

The mods need to move the Ripple stuff to Alt Cryptocurrencies.

Nope, because Ripple is a way to move Bitcoins around. Ripple is not an alternate currency, although there is a currency built into it. If anything, all of the negative threads that seem to want to focus on this built in currency should be moved. But "Ripple Explained for Bitcoiners!" is 100% relevant to Bitcoin discussion. ...

Ripple had a seat on the 'alternate crypto-currency roundtable at the 2013 conference.  I didn't see anyone holding a gun to their heads.

No matter where it happens to be filed, I would not mind it it were open-sourced one of these days.  Relatedly, I wish to know the underlying architecture so I can make my own decisions about robustness, scaling, centralization, and that sort of thing.  A 'start with all and subtract' scheme was something which hit me some time ago as a means of mitigating against certain kinds of scaling issues.  I'm academically interested in knowing whether Ripple has the same basic goal with this design.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
misterbigg
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 04:03:30 AM

Ripple had a seat on the 'alternate crypto-currency roundtable at the 2013 conference.  I didn't see anyone holding a gun to their heads.

"Ripple" is a system for managing and tracking account balance. It contains "XRP", which is a built in crypto-currency. It's not quite accurate to say that "Ripple is an alt coin" because it is more than that. However, it might be correct to say that "XRP is an alt coin."

But calling Ripple an alt-coin is to ignore all of its other functionality, which in my opinion is a mistake.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 05:07:29 AM

The mods need to move the Ripple stuff to Alt Cryptocurrencies.

Nope, because Ripple is a way to move Bitcoins around. Ripple is not an alternate currency, although there is a currency built into it. If anything, all of the negative threads that seem to want to focus on this built in currency should be moved. But "Ripple Explained for Bitcoiners!" is 100% relevant to Bitcoin discussion.

Ironically Ripple is the closest thing we have to a distributed exchange for Bitcoin, which is what everyone has been clamoring for after the MtGox DDoS and crash from $266, and now that we're talking about it you want to move the thread?
It's funny because "closest thing we have to a distributed exchange" for Bitcoin?

You can vote Democrats, which will spy on you with warrantless wiretaps and Tripwire, you can vote Republicans, which will spy on you with warrantless wiretaps and Tripwire.

Distributed enough for you?
Rogue Star

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 05:16:57 AM

"Ripple" is a system for managing and tracking account balance. It contains "XRP", which is a built in crypto-currency. It's not quite accurate to say that "Ripple is an alt coin" because it is more than that. However, it might be correct to say that "XRP is an alt coin."

But calling Ripple an alt-coin is to ignore all of its other functionality, which in my opinion is a mistake.

XRP threads go in Alt Currencies. Ripple threads go in Service Discussion. Easy. Now you know where to move your two threads. Thanks.

you can donate to me for whatever reason at: 18xbnjDDXxgcvRzv5k2vmrKQHWDjYsBDCf
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 05:24:41 AM

XRP threads go in Alt Currencies. Ripple threads go in Service Discussion. Easy. Now you know where to move your two threads. Thanks.

+1
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 05:57:06 AM

Why are all the post's being deleted by the ripple guys? This Is a Bitcoin Discussion not a Ripple Discussion. Huh

Perhaps you failed to observe that my Ripple Explained for Bitcoiners! thread is self-moderated. Look closely and you'll see this explained at the top of the thread.

The reason it is moderated is because a vocal minority has so much irrational emotional hatred for Ripple that they have made it difficult for Bitcoiners, who are definitely interested in learning how Ripple enhances Bitcoin, to participate in a civil discourse.

If you have a legitimate question that is not already answered, or you want to bring up a factual point that hasn't been made then I welcome you to my moderated thread.

For whatever else you have to say, feel free to post in any of the other unmoderated threads with your views, such as this one:

Why Ripple™ is against everything Bitcoin

Hey do why dont you post your thread in the Alt-crypto section? Huh?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

fellowtraveler

Activity: 440

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 06:05:31 AM
Last edit: May 21, 2013, 07:46:50 AM by fellowtraveler

Quote from: misterbigg
[OT] didn't put the pieces together the right way.

Hmm do you know the project very well?

This is mostly theory though...I haven't worked with OT much. I just read a few of the papers.

I don't know Open Transactions very well

Fair enough. Although there's an IRC channel where plenty of support can be had.

(There are nearly 50 people logged in there right now.)

Having a native currency is why Ripple is succeeding where Open Transactions and the original Ripple failed.

I have too much respect for other developers to be bashing Ripple or any other project. Especially since one of the purposes of OT is to popularize concepts for other developers to adopt. (Success is in all of our interests.)

That having been said, characterizing OT as "failed" is a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

--- Open-Transactions is the only open-source project that does many of the things that it does, or that combines them into a single project.

For example:

1. Untraceable cash.
2. Ricardian contracts.
3. Ability to process transactions without storing a receipt history.
4. Fully-functional smart contracts.
5. Built-in client-side scripting.
6. A full range of instruments such as cheques, cash, cashier's cheques, invoices, etc.
7. Basket currencies.
8. Recurring transactions.
9. Escrow.
10. Issue stocks and pay dividends.
11. Fully cross-platform and cross-language.

Etc. All of this is fully-functional now. And it's free and open-source, with no ulterior motives.

--- OT has been undergoing protocol testing, load testing, and real-world testing for a couple of years now. A unit test suite has started to materialize. The complete code has been available for inspection by the open-source community. There are a number of contributors. (See the commit history...)

--- OT is being integrated into a number of projects, including OpenSim. Independent developers are using it (I would know -- I provide free support for them.)

--- Tarballs and install programs are starting to appear, as well as the ability to install via apt-get.

(And I am not the one doing those things -- the open source community is.)

--- Commercial clients are also being developed for OT, and not just by Monetas (my own effort--which recently closed its seed round.)

I am a fan of Ripple, and I hope their technology proves out and that they are successful. And I'm flattered to see my project compared to it, even through the two projects really are apples and oranges.

I really don't want to turn any Ripple threads into discussions on the benefits of Open-Transactions, but if the discussion begins to hinge on my project instead of theirs, then I'm going to be forced to pop up and respond.

I hope you understand.

co-founder, Monetas
creator, Open-Transactions
Meatpile

Activity: 277

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:05:36 AM

can Ripple technology work without the use of the "built in currency"?

Everything is so much clearer when they say something so fucking stupid,

so ripple... Which itself is not open source yet. ?. Has succeeded! Where open transactions a clearly superior system still under active development and testing has failed already?
Hfleer

Activity: 448

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 07:10:31 AM

I have just been at bitcoin conference in san Jose ca, this was a great thing for bitcoin. One thing I noticed while at the conference is there where heaps of ripple employees/promoters their pretending to be bitcoin users and supporters. They where very sneaky and have also disguised themselves on this forum as bitcoin users by building up lots of posts. Have have seen ripple for what it is now. ripple is a group of people trying to fool people into using their system and their own crypto currency to get rich and hold a monopoly on the market.
ripple is not decentralized.
ripple is polluting bitcoin. they do not like bitcoin and this can be seen easily when speaking to them face to face. don't be fooled by clever marketing.
Ripple should only ever be discussed in alternate crypto section.

I am re posting this hear because it was deleted from the ripple for bitcoin users discussion.

Give that crap it's own sub-forum so i can ignore it.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
virtualmaster

Activity: 504

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 09:56:55 AM

Why are all the post's being deleted by the ripple guys? This Is a Bitcoin Discussion not a Ripple Discussion. Huh
It is probably working as following:
- a lot of trolls are payed with ripple to fool bitcoiners
- some subforum administrators eventually are treated with lawyer if they don't delete ripple critical comments (registered name)
If this doesn't work then may be they could be bribed with ripples.
Under claiming to reward active members they are rewarding those who are making positive posts about ripple. (Even if they are not corresponding the truth.)

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
cdog

Activity: 1036

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 10:21:06 AM

Ripple is the first attempt to bring corporate culture and multi-level marketing to crypto-currency.

Anyone familiar with these tactics can clearly see Ripple for what it is. Its a bold and brash attempt to cash in on Bitcoin.

Personally, I find Ripple and the shills who spam its "features" to be nauseating.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: