Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:23:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My Experience Selling Bitcoins Face-to-Face  (Read 1154 times)
TippingPoint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 09:38:31 PM

I received about $1200 USD worth of Bitcoins while engaged in internet commerce.  I needed some cash to pay a bulldozer operator.

What a shame you couldn't convince the bulldozer operator to accept payment in bitcoins.  I assume you at least asked?

It would be a true shame if he was willing to accept bitcoins, but neither of you thought to mention the possibility to the other.

I asked him.  He does not even have a computer.  And I tried to barter.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Doubletime

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:21:36 PM

I'm going to set the over/under line of bulldozer operators that accept bitcoins at one.  Something to look forward to is when the rare occurrence is one who doesn't, we have arrived.
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 11:59:28 PM

Glad to hear everything went well. Gotta wonder though, how many BTC does someone have to transfer before it becomes just as dangerous as doing a $100K+ drug deal?

TippingPoint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 01:07:33 AM

Glad to hear everything went well. Gotta wonder though, how many BTC does someone have to transfer before it becomes just as dangerous as doing a $100K+ drug deal?

That is a reasonable question.

If that were the case, I would take additional precautions.

Transferring incrementally, perhaps 100 BTC at a time, with the cash transported to a bank lock box by my courier (or by me if necessary), and the BTC transfers initiated by another assistant from a remote computer on telephone command, with some code words involved.

And the Kryptonite...  Don't forget the Kryptonite.

FinShaggy

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 01:12:40 AM

Transferring incrementally, perhaps 100 BTC at a time, with the cash transported to a bank lock box by my courier (or by me if necessary), and the BTC transfers initiated by another assistant from a remote computer on telephone command, with some code words involved.

I think at $1,000 you should bring friends.

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
Swapster

Activity: 131
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 01:48:48 AM

That story turned out good, but for someone to say never sell BTC online implies that all local sales go good. Online offers convenience and physical safety at the very least.
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 10:30:59 PM

I think at $1,000 you should bring friends.

Yep - I don't disagree. On the BTC receiving end, you'd probably want to wait around for at least 10-20 minutes for a confirmation or two.

ToLy

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 11:05:41 PM

I expected a twist  Grin
Thanks for sharing
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: