Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:21:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DDoS attack against PayPal  (Read 1946 times)
The Madhatter (OP)

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
December 07, 2010, 12:40:45 AM

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/06/anonymous_launches_pro_wikileaks_campaign/

Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nanaimogold

Activity: 661
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 07, 2010, 01:30:57 AM

How many readers interpreted that piece to say that Paypal got DoSsed?

Look closer;

> a DDoS assault on a PayPal website.

> denial of service attacks will also come into play with an assault against the ThePayPalblog.com.

Paypals' BLOG is getting the treatment.

Thanks for the weasel-tale John Leyden. I'll be sure to remember you in my yellow file.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 07, 2010, 01:32:42 AM

DDoS doesn't produce anything productive. It's a version of a mob.

Anonymous

December 07, 2010, 01:36:25 AM

Unlike paypal If anonymous ddoses bitcoin they will actually earn money by generating coins lol.
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
December 07, 2010, 07:46:24 AM

Unlike paypal If anonymous ddoses bitcoin they will actually earn money by generating coins lol.

a DDoS attack must involve a denial of service. Generating the block chain is the providing of a service, so it is not a DDoS attack.

One off NP-Hard.
nanaimogold

Activity: 661

View Profile
December 07, 2010, 07:12:36 PM

a DDoS attack must involve a denial of service. Generating the block chain is the providing of a service, so it is not a DDoS attack.

no agenda made a joke. I laughed.

No comment on how this reporter has tried to mislead us in classic word-wanker fork-tongued style?

To me that's the only thing about this story worth commenting on - the reporter lying to us.

da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
December 08, 2010, 04:14:49 AM

lol, in retrospect I must have left my scene of humor in my bed that day  Grin

One off NP-Hard.
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2010, 10:36:00 AM
Last edit: December 09, 2010, 11:04:32 AM by em3rgentOrdr

LMAO!!!

Denial of Service Attack => Providing of Service Contribution  Smiley

Anyway, I was listening to yesterday's Free Talk Live, and during minute 22 of that mp3, they talked about Mastercard/Visa's inability to process transactions, and did make the astute point that Visa/Mastercard are highly insecure, considering the fact that yesterday's DDoS attack was able to take them down.  So, this should be a great way to market bitcoin: it is DDoS resistant.  Do you think this is an accurate claim?  Or do you know of any actual DDoS *attacks* on bitcoin?  If I was listening live, I would have called in to promote bitcoin's superiority in this regard.

Later during minute 32, the two hosts Ian and Mark did their regular request for donations to their AMP marketing program...but they had to reluctantly admit that they use PayPal, Visa, and MasterCard because they don't have good alternatives:

time 32:45 - Ian Freeman, "Go to AMP.FreeTalkLive.com, and I know PayPal is on there.  What else can you do?  There just aren't very many convenient payment systems on the internet...unfortunately we have to hold our nose a little bit...we do accept Visa and MasterCard, as well when they are up an running."
time 33:02 - Mark Edge, "One a good opportunity presents itself..."
time 33:05 - Ian Freeman, "Where's the agorist payment processor!?!"

Again, if I was listening to the show's live radio broadcast EST 7pm-10pm, then I would have called in and encouraged them to adopt bitcoin donation and allow bitcoin AMPlifiers.  To be honest, I had canceled my AMP payments after I lost faith in PayPal.  Anyway, maybe several of us can call together to the show to promote bitcoin?  I could call, but I am probably not the best communicator of the details of bitcoin's operation.

Also, maybe us bitcoiners who like FreeTalkLive could make a pooled bitcoin donation?  Anyone else intersted?  I will pledge to donate 100 bitcoins.  (I suppose I should start a separate thread for this)

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
Anonymous

December 09, 2010, 11:52:41 AM

LMAO!!!

Anyway, I was listening to yesterday's Free Talk Live, and during minute 22 of that mp3, they talked about Mastercard/Visa's inability to process transactions, and did make the astute point that Visa/Mastercard are highly insecure, considering the fact that yesterday's DDoS attack was able to take them down.  So, this should be a great way to market bitcoin: it is DDoS resistant.  Do you think this is an accurate claim?  Or do you know of any actual DDoS *attacks* on bitcoin?  If I was listening live, I would have called in to promote bitcoin's superiority in this regard.

Later during minute 32, the two hosts Ian and Mark did their regular request for donations to their AMP marketing program...but they had to reluctantly admit that they use PayPal, Visa, and MasterCard because they don't have good alternatives:

time 32:45 - Ian Freeman, "Go to AMP.FreeTalkLive.com, and I know PayPal is on there.  What else can you do?  There just aren't very many convenient payment systems on the internet...unfortunately we have to hold our nose a little bit...we do accept Visa and MasterCard, as well when they are up an running."

Again, if I was listening to the show's live radio broadcast EST 7pm-10pm, then I would have called in and encouraged them to adopt bitcoin donation and allow bitcoin AMPlifiers.  To be honest, I had canceled my AMP payments after I lost faith in PayPal.  Anyway, maybe several of us can call together to the show to promote bitcoin?  I could call, but I am probably not the best communicator of the details of bitcoin's operation.

Also, maybe us bitcoiners who like FreeTalkLive could make a pooled bitcoin donation?  Anyone else intersted?  I will pledge to donate 100 bitcoins.  (I suppose I should start a separate thread for this)

I emailed Ian awhile ago about accepting bitcoin. I might try doing it again now all the wikileaks stuff is out there.

Should we setup a mybitcoin account and email Ian with the login details?

The only downfall is the lack of a subscription feature for bitcoin. That is how the amplifier program works...a lot of people sending small amounts each month automatically. I suppose we could always buy madhatters bitcoin visa cards and use them to subscribe.  Cheesy

em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2010, 12:45:50 PM

LMAO!!!

I emailed Ian awhile ago about accepting bitcoin. I might try doing it again now all the wikileaks stuff is out there.

Yes, email him again...and feel free to include the above direct quote of Ian in your appeal.  Also, I think calling live on air is always great promotion, so I encourage you to do that as well...

Should we setup a mybitcoin account and email Ian with the login details?

Doesn't it make more sense for Ian to setup an account himself?  I tend to not trust that I have sole access to any accounts that someone provided me the password for in plain text email, because that means that two people know the password.  Or Ian could download the bitcoin client himself and provide us an address.  Anyway, if we start a donation thread here, hopefully we can raise enough donation funds as a one-time incentive for FTL to post a bitcoin address on their website.

The only downfall is the lack of a subscription feature for bitcoin. That is how the amplifier program works...a lot of people sending small amounts each month automatically.

Good point.  Surely this could be easily implemented as a cron job on mybitcoin's server (or on the subscriber's own local computer) to send a fixed amount at a specified time.  Anyway, subscription is going to be something that the market will demand...so we should start thinking about ways to implement a bitcoin subscription system.

I suppose we could always buy madhatters bitcoin visa cards and use them to subscribe.  Cheesy

Cheesy haha...but no, I think this "solution" misses the point Smiley

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
idev

Activity: 859
Merit: 1004

BTC OG and designer of the BitcoinMarket.com logo

View Profile
December 13, 2010, 01:22:06 PM

All these attacks are false flags to shut down the web,
thanks to shittyleaks, the US congress is passing legislation in the lameduck sessions now
to shut down the web, and thats not all, FCC says "free and unregulated media is over and that is has been a privilege for far to long".

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: