Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:11:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC violates GAAP, result a mess.  (Read 13696 times)
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 02:48:51 PM

I'd be interested to know that as well.

Traditionally, currency systems were designed the way OP suggests.  Not sure what was the rationale for designing the transactions this way.  It's certainly irregular, but perhaps there was some kind of articulated reason somewhere.

Because it makes good engineering sense.

Technically we have a balance sheet anyway:  the set of unspent transaction outputs (UTXO).

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
aaaxn

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 03:06:48 PM

Technically we have a balance sheet anyway:  the set of unspent transaction outputs (UTXO).
It certainly does not make engineering sense for payment system to keep track of non-necessary information about UXTO when all user care about is account balance. So please elaborate.

█
                              █████████                  ██████ 
                      ███████████████████████████   
              ███████████████████████████████   
            ████████████████████████████████   
        █████████████████████████████████     
    ████████████████████████████████████   
    ████████          █████████          █████████   
  ████████                ██████              ████████   
█████████                █████                ████████   
███████████                █                ███████████ 
██████████████                      ██████████████ 
█████████████████            ████████████████ 
███████████████                  ███████████████ 
█████████████                          █████████████ 
███████████              ███                ██████████ 
  ████████              ███████              ███████     
    █████████        █████████          ████████     
        ██████████████████████████████           
              ████████████████████████                 
                  ████████████████████                     
CorionX

Powered by,
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 03:19:49 PM

So you simply agree that you attached message to your payment and not being able to do so would be real PITA. You could probably workaround this issue but hey, why don't just fix it?
On the contrary, forcing me to write "I, [name here], used this bill to pay for a beer in the evening of the 8th of June 2013 in the pub named [insert name]" on each and every bill I use would be a PITA.
The bar will either just have an internal receipt system where the barkeeper enters my purchase + note or even just do a total "We had xxx EUR before opening, we have XXXXX EUR after closing" calculation. Why should I as customer be exposed to their accounting practices? It's in my best interest to consume alcohol an NOT fill out forms or attach messages to my payments!

Also the payment of the change money (coins...) I received back should have come with a "message" - again, I didn't need or want that, as it was and still is simply not possible and also not necessary to follow GAAP in these kind of cash transactions.

If one simply follows recommended usage patterns in Bitcoin and uses each address exactly once, these addresses itself become the "messages" or identifiers for each and every transaction. Also it is not necessary to know where money actually came from (outside of KYC territory) to do proper accounting of it. I still don't see the issue where you cannot do proper accounting with Bitcoins. Just because the internal lingo is a bit off (imagine "account" as a bunch of addresses instead of a single one and you're golden) does not mean that this system is doomed, badly engineered or completely impossible to use in accounting.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
aaaxn

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 03:26:31 PM

On the contrary, forcing me to write "I, [name here], used this bill to pay for a beer in the evening of the 8th of June 2013 in the pub named [insert name]" on each and every bill I use would be a PITA.
The bar will either just have an internal receipt system where the barkeeper enters my purchase + note or even just do a total "We had xxx EUR before opening, we have XXXXX EUR after closing" calculation. Why should I as customer be exposed to their accounting practices? It's in my best interest to consume alcohol an NOT fill out forms or attach messages to my payments!

Also the payment of the change money (coins...) I received back should have come with a "message" - again, I didn't need or want that, as it was and still is simply not possible and also not necessary to follow GAAP in these kind of cash transactions.

If one simply follows recommended usage patterns in Bitcoin and uses each address exactly once, these addresses itself become the "messages" or identifiers for each and every transaction. Also it is not necessary to know where money actually came from (outside of KYC territory) to do proper accounting of it. I still don't see the issue where you cannot do proper accounting with Bitcoins. Just because the internal lingo is a bit off (imagine "account" as a bunch of addresses instead of a single one and you're golden) does not mean that this system is doomed, badly engineered or completely impossible to use in accounting.
You are totally missing the point. Your money and change comes with message. You don't need to write it down of course. You can say it. YOu can point your finger to beer, whatever. Person to person contact is inherent feature of cash and that is why you don't need to write message on notes. You always see person you trade with. It is part of 'cash protocol'. Bitcoin is different and without ability to attach message it is similiar to making cash transaction without ability to see or communicate with other side

█
              ████████████████████████                 
                  ████████████████████                     
CorionX

Powered by,
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 03:27:46 PM

I'd be interested to know that as well.

Traditionally, currency systems were designed the way OP suggests.  Not sure what was the rationale for designing the transactions this way.  It's certainly irregular, but perhaps there was some kind of articulated reason somewhere.

Jeff, thanks for the response.

Was there some kind of recorded discussion about why it was done this way?

yes we have the set of UTXOs, but the entire chain must be traversed in order to compute this set!  Thus computation issues are built into the system.  If you were to have a tx format like OP suggests, you could eliminate much of the computation(to find a balance, you just find the last tx with account X as destination).

Of course I really don't know how you could implement the scripting system with this.

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 03:29:18 PM

You are totally missing the point. Your money and change comes with message. You don't need to write it down of course. You can say it. YOu can point your finger to beer, whatever. Person to person contact is inherent feature of cash and that is why you don't need to write message on notes. You always see person you trade with. It is part of 'cash protocol'

you can do something like this with Bitcoin, simply by embedding a hash of your message(or the message itself if brief enough) in the script field.

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 03:30:58 PM

So you simply agree that you attached message to your payment and not being able to do so would be real PITA. You could probably workaround this issue but hey, why don't just fix it?

Right!
And then the wallet software or cash register or accounting package can be used to assign whichever variables the particular regulatory regime requires at the time.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
jgarzik
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 03:35:28 PM

yes we have the set of UTXOs, but the entire chain must be traversed in order to compute this set!  Thus computation issues are built into the system.  If you were to have a tx format like OP suggests, you could eliminate much of the computation(to find a balance, you just find the last tx with account X as destination).

Without the current design, you cannot have a zero trust system.

Most efficient designs are of course possible, but decrease trust.  SPV is an example.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
aaaxn

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 03:36:17 PM

And who says system is doomed or makes accounting impossible? It is just inconvenient and require a lot of work to do simplest thing. I don't understand why one have to defend every little bitcoin feature. Even one that are just byproducts of system design (attaching messages to txns is disabled because it would overload network and bloat blockchain)

█
              ████████████████████████                 
                  ████████████████████                     
CorionX

Powered by,
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 03:37:26 PM

You are totally missing the point. Your money and change comes with message. You don't need to write it down of course. You can say it. YOu can point your finger to beer, whatever. Person to person contact is inherent feature of cash and that is why you don't need to write message on notes. You always see person you trade with. It is part of 'cash protocol'. Bitcoin is different and without ability to attach message it is similiar to making cash transaction without ability to see or communicate with other side
Right.  Why confuse the money with a "payment system"?
When you send money online with your bank, you can add all sorts of information to it that are not a part of the money.  They are a part of the payment system.

It isn't the issue for Bitcoin, it is the issue for the Bitcoin payment system, which includes wallet software and accounting packages and etc

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
aaaxn

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 03:40:11 PM

Without the current design, you cannot have a zero trust system.

Most efficient designs are of course possible, but decrease trust.  SPV is an example.
Wow, it's really powerful statement and really questionable. I hope it comes with formal proof Smiley
Blockchain system can secure almost any underlying data structure (think of namecoin) and I don't see why it cannot be account ledger.

█