Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:07:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The EFF thanks bitcoin donors.  (Read 7770 times)
Anonymous

December 07, 2010, 01:22:57 AM

http://twitter.com/eff

This made my day when I checked twitter. I think telling people to donate to them is better than trying to get involved in the wikileaks situation. Wikileaks will probably need the protection of the eff soon so the more people donate the better they can defend wikileaks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 07, 2010, 04:04:38 AM

The page that they link to in today's tweet about Bitcoin is hard to find from their home page.  When you click the "Donate" button on the home page, you are not given a Bitcoin option.  Still, having them tweet about Bitcoin definitely helps build buzz.  I'm going to send them another donation, and I urge other forum members to do the same.  Be generous!

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
RHorning

Activity: 224
Merit: 141

View Profile
December 07, 2010, 04:08:28 AM

The page that they link to in today's tweet about Bitcoin is hard to find from their home page.  When you click the "Donate" button on the home page, you are not given a Bitcoin option.

The link on the tweet I got was very close to the donation address.  It went straight to the page with the list of various donation methods, although I had to scroll up to find the Bitcoin address.

The address for the EFF donations, 1MCwBbhNGp5hRm5rC1Aims2YFRe2SXPYKt, is listed right there.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 07, 2010, 04:58:42 AM

The page that they link to in today's tweet about Bitcoin is hard to find from their home page.  When you click the "Donate" button on the home page, you are not given a Bitcoin option.  Still, having them tweet about Bitcoin definitely helps build buzz.  I'm going to send them another donation, and I urge other forum members to do the same.  Be generous!

It's not easily highlighted, but from the big red 'Donate' button, you can go

Learn other ways to help -> Other ways to help EFF

which finally lands you at http://www.eff.org/helpout where bitcoin is mentioned near the top.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
December 07, 2010, 12:04:04 PM

I sent my third donation to them today. I had never donated to them before, but it's just so easy with Bitcoin.
jancsika

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 08:14:40 PM

EFF seems to have removed bitcoin donations from its website.
radracer

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 10:07:43 PM

i received this after i emailed them when i noticed the bitcoin donation information was gone:
Thank you for contacting the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF). At this time, we have determined that legal tender is the best way to help EFF support online civil liberties. When we have completed our review of the options and legalities pertinent to bitcoin, we may make a statement. I'm not certain and I can't promise anything.

Thank you for your desire to support us!

Rebecca S. Reagan
Intake Coordinator
(415) 436-9333, Ext. 135
Become a Member! https://www.eff.org/support
Astro

Activity: 284
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 10:37:44 PM

Odd.  They've probably received in excess of $5000 USD in bitcoin donations by now.
Anonymous

June 01, 2011, 11:31:09 PM

If someone has a link for the internet archive page can you still use that bitcoin address ? lol
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1309

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 12:08:06 AM

If someone has a link for the internet archive page can you still use that bitcoin address ? lol

Or, if you donated to the EFF, and you tagged the transaction in your client, then you could post their wallet address here  Wink

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 12:19:01 AM
Last edit: June 02, 2011, 12:32:51 AM by Jaime Frontero

mmmm.

i'll wait.  although i've sent USD donations in the past.

but i will not support cowardice.

there's so much bravery to choose from...

EDIT:  but i will make the effort.

just sent to eff:

Thank you for contacting the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF). At this time, we have determined that legal tender is the best way to help EFF support online civil liberties. When we have completed our review of the options and legalities pertinent to bitcoin, we may make a statement. I'm not certain and I can't promise anything.

Thank you for your desire to support us!

Rebecca S. Reagan
Intake Coordinator
(415) 436-9333, Ext. 135
Become a Member! https://www.eff.org/support

i mean really, people.

if you should happen to resume practicing what you preach, i will be happy to send a donation your way.  in Bitcoin only, and to a Bitcoin address displayed on a publicly accessible page of your website.

thank you.

Jaime
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 12:34:33 AM

This is their address, retrieved from the Google Cache.

They received over 3.5k BTC in donations, so that would be worth 33k USD now.

Pretty ungrateful move if you ask me.
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 12:37:25 AM

This is their address, retrieved from the Google Cache.

They received over 3.5k BTC in donations, so that would be worth 33k USD now.

Pretty ungrateful move if you ask me.

Thank you.  They will accept my donation.  They'll accept, and they'll like it.  Angry

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
mewantsbitcoins

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 12:38:36 AM

Fucking pussies! I will never again send any donations to them
jerfelix

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 12:42:12 AM

mmmm.

i'll wait.  although i've sent USD donations in the past.

but i will not support cowardice.

there's so much bravery to choose from...

I wholeheartedly agree. 

However, their Bitcoin address is in cache:
"Transfer Bitcoin P2P Cryptocurrency from your account to ours: 1MCwBbhNGp5hRm5rC1Aims2YFRe2SXPYKt
Learn more about Bitcoin."

(honest, that's thier's, not mine!)

Currently cached at http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:UKgtfFEbGtkJ:www.eff.org/helpout+eff+bitcoin&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

swerving

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 12:48:47 AM

To be fair the EFF is a non-profit organization (made up of lawyers, no less) that has to follow strict legal and tax standards. Can you even imagine the tax paperwork for bitcoin? Even if they bought office supplies or something with the bitcoins instead of selling them on Mtgox, it still wouldn't be pretty.
Horkabork

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 01:09:31 AM

To be fair the EFF is a non-profit organization (made up of lawyers, no less) that has to follow strict legal and tax standards. Can you even imagine the tax paperwork for bitcoin? Even if they bought office supplies or something with the bitcoins instead of selling them on Mtgox, it still wouldn't be pretty.

That's what I was thinking as well. Charitable donation tax code varies from state to state. They might, in one state, have to record donation sources over a certain amount (maybe not by name, but at least demonstrate if it was personal, corporate, or political).

But how do you tell where a donation is coming from with Bitcoin? They would first have to set up a storefront, and give each donor a unique address and have them provide at least some info for the books.

That, and there are some recent shady donation laws that were made in the name of anti-terrorism, but could possibly affect them. Google the phrase "geographic targeting orders" for example. Taking one donation that was later proven to be from a terrorist support organization could put their whole operation in jeopardy. It's a fight that would be worthwhile, but the EFF would probably rather pick their battles.

Me: 15gbWvpLPfbLJZBsL2u5gkBdL3BUXDbTuF
A goat: http://i52.tinypic.com/34pj4v6.jpg
Jaime Frontero

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 01:22:07 AM

That's what I was thinking as well. Charitable donation tax code varies from state to state. They might, in one state, have to record donation sources over a certain amount (maybe not by name, but at least demonstrate if it was personal, corporate, or political).

But how do you tell where a donation is coming from with Bitcoin? They would first have to set up a storefront, and give each donor a unique address and have them provide at least some info for the books.

That, and there are some recent shady donation laws that were made in the name of anti-terrorism, but could possibly affect them. Google the phrase "geographic targeting orders" for example. Taking one donation that was later proven to be from a terrorist support organization could put their whole operation in jeopardy. It's a fight that would be worthwhile, but the EFF would probably rather pick their battles.

All true, Horkabork.

and yet... who shaves the barber?

see: https://www.eff.org/about

From the Internet to the iPod, technologies are transforming our society and empowering us as speakers, citizens, creators, and consumers. When our freedoms in the networked world come under attack, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is the first line of defense.

if they won't defend themselves first, what confidence should we place in their ability to defend us?
proudhon
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 02:11:12 AM

All true, Horkabork.

and yet... who shaves the barber?

see: https://www.eff.org/about

From the Internet to the iPod, technologies are transforming our society and empowering us as speakers, citizens, creators, and consumers. When our freedoms in the networked world come under attack, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is the first line of defense.

if they won't defend themselves first, what confidence should we place in their ability to defend us?

I hope they're taking this time to investigate how best to operate with bitcoin without getting themselves into trouble with the government.

asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 02:43:07 AM

All they have to do is generate a different address for every donation, so the government CAN'T track/tax their income. Like everyone else.

Isn't that the point of bitcoin.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: