Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:17:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How does the BUY and SELL on exchanges work?? help  (Read 345 times)
Coinzzz (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 05:55:46 PM

Hi,

So lets say I am on bittrex and I bought a coin few mins ago and it went 10% up in next few mins and I want to sell it IMMEDIATELY before it goes down, so when I put sell order on the market price and not any custom amount, will it get sold the exact second or does it wait for someone else to buy that? What if the volume is 10 BTC or 100 BTC??

Also can I put sell orders in advance? Like for eg I have 10k DOGE and I want to put diff sell orders like I put a sell orders for 2k DOGE at $0.01 other order at 3k DOGE at $0.005 etc... will it automatically gets fulfill when the market price reaches that amount?

Thank you so much.
Yoandy10

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 06:07:17 PM

Hi,

So lets say I am on bittrex and I bought a coin few mins ago and it went 10% up in next few mins and I want to sell it IMMEDIATELY before it goes down, so when I put sell order on the market price and not any custom amount, will it get sold the exact second or does it wait for someone else to buy that? What if the volume is 10 BTC or 100 BTC??

Also can I put sell orders in advance? Like for eg I have 10k DOGE and I want to put diff sell orders like I put a sell orders for 2k DOGE at $0.01 other order at 3k DOGE at $0.005 etc... will it automatically gets fulfill when the market price reaches that amount?

Thank you so much.
When you put a short, it will only sell if there is a long at that same price.  And yes, you can put sells in advance, but the applies - it will only sell if there is a buy for that price. Neither cessation goes by market price,  but by sell/buy prices. Although the three are directly related, sellers usually sell for a bit over market, and buyers usually buy for a bit under market.

Makes sense?
Gaaara

Activity: 1106
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 06:11:20 PM

Hi,

Thank you so much.

You still need to wait for someone to buy that coin, in able to sell your coin there should be a buy order for the exact value you were selling if not then you can place a sell order base on their buy order your coin will be sold instantly if you place a sell order by clicking their buy order then simply input the amount you wanted to sell.

MOCKTAIL  -  THE  FIRST  SEMI-FUNGIBLE  TOKEN  ON  BSE 
        WEBSITE        WHITEPAPER        SMART CONTRACT        TWITTER        FACEBOOK        TELEGRAM        ANN

arseaboy

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 06:15:37 PM

Hi,

Thank you so much.

You still need to wait for someone to buy that coin, in able to sell your coin there should be a buy order for the exact value you were selling if not then you can place a sell order base on their buy order your coin will be sold instantly if you place a sell order by clicking their buy order then simply input the amount you wanted to sell.
yeah right you needed to wait till all the sell order was already complete we dont know when the pumped and the dumped happen so its still
depend if your sell order will be fulfill better to watch tutorials from youtube i think there's some video that can help you to further understand.

██████████████████████  ▀███▄          ▄██▄          ▄██████▄   █████████████████████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀███▄        ▄████▄        ▄███▀▀███▄   █████████████████████████
                          ▀███▄      ▄██████▄      ▄███▀  ▀███▄       ▐███       ███▌
                           ▀███▄    ▄███▀▀███▄    ▄███▀    ▀███▄      ▐███       ███▌
   █████████████████        ▀███▄  ▄███▀  ▀███▄  ▄███▀      ▀███▄     ▐███       ███▌
                             ▀███▄▄███▀    ▀███▄▄███▀        ▀███▄    ▐███       ███▌
                              ▀██████▀      ▀██████▀          ▀███▄   ▐███       ███▌
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄         ▀████▀        ▀████▀            ▀███▄  ▐███       ███▌
██████████████████████          ▀██▀          ▀██▀              ▀███▄ ▐███       ███▌

R E I M A G I N I N G    E N E R G Y
█▄
▄█████▄
▄████▀████▄
▄█████▌ ▐█████▄
▄███▀▀██▌ ▐██▀▀███▄
▄█████▄  ▀▌ ▐▀  ▄█████▄
█████████▄     ▄█████████
██████  ▀██▌ ▐██▀  ██████
▀██████▄  ▀▌ ▐▀  ▄██████▀
▀███████▄     ▄███████▀
▀▀██████▌ ▐██████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▄█▄▀▀▀▀
█████
[.
TELEGRAM    MEDIUM
TWITTER   FACEBOOK
]███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
[PRE-SALE]
C O M I N G 
SOON███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
andrearz

Activity: 686
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 06:18:57 PM

Hi,

Thank you so much.
I also still do not understand about this I hope there are people who respond to this so I can also find information about buying and selling in bitcoin market.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3219

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 06:24:49 PM

A "market" order is an order to buy or sell at any price. A "limit" order is an order to buy or sell at a specific price.

When someone places a limit order, their order is placed in the "order book" as a "bid" (buy) or "ask" (sell) and it will wait there until it is canceled or it is executed.

When someone places a market order, the exchange simply executes enough waiting limit orders (prioritized by price) to fill it. Since a market order does not specify a price, the price is determined by the limit orders it is matched with. A market order is generally executed immediately.

Some exchanges don't have market orders. In that case, if you want to buy or sell immediately, you must look at the order book to see at what price a limit order would be executed immediately and use that price.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Coinzzz (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 06:27:59 PM

A market order gets sold immediately. It will fill the highest available buy-limit orders.
When you sell 10 BTC, it will fill the highest buy-limit orders that add up to 10 BTC. When you sell 100 BTC, it will fill the highest buy-limit orders that amount to 100 BTC.
The last of those buy-limit orders will be filled partly.

Yes, this is called a limit order. It will fill when the market price gets there.

When you say it fits the highest available buy-limit does it mean, if there is a buy order for DOGE coin for 1 BTC and price is $0.0012 but I want to sell 2 BTC worth DOGE at $0.0012 so I will only sell 1BTC? What will happen to my other 1 BTC? it will remain unsold? or will it go somewhere in the market for the same price?

odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 06:33:03 PM

When you say it fits the highest available buy-limit does it mean, if there is a buy order for DOGE coin for 1 BTC and price is $0.0012 but I want to sell 2 BTC worth DOGE at $0.0012 so I will only sell 1BTC? What will happen to my other 1 BTC? it will remain unsold? or will it go somewhere in the market for the same price?

If you place a market order, then it is matched with enough limit orders to fill it (regardless of the price). If you place a limit order, any unfilled portion of your order remains as a limit order at the price you specified.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Reid

Activity: 2884
Merit: 642

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 06:36:56 PM

You could always put the sell order that you want for the expected price that you prefer.
Example is bitcoin. If tou think that it will go to 5000 dollars then input it there and the when exchange hit it there will be buyers of bitcoin until your sell order will be depleted up to the last satoshi.
Just be careful, there is a tax. So, you have to be sure of your inputs or you will be losing funds just by cancelling
Coinzzz (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 06:37:12 PM

A "market" order is an order to buy or sell at any price. A "limit" order is an order to buy or sell at a specific price.

When someone places a limit order, their order is placed in the "order book" as a "bid" (buy) or "ask" (sell) and it will wait there until it is canceled or it is executed.

When someone places a market order, the exchange simply executes waiting limit orders prioritized by price. Since a market order does not specify a price, the price is determined by the limit orders it is matched with. A market order is generally executed immediately.

Some exchanges don't have market orders. In that case, if you want to buy or sell immediately, you must look at the order book to see at what price a limit order would be executed immediately and use that price.

Thankss for your answer..

Although I am still confused :p

So I can sell my 2 BTC worth DOGE directly at marketprice right instead of waiting for it to get fullfilled..

What happens when the SELL amount is more than BUY amount? Will it get sold or not.

What I am worried about is, if I hold huge amount of worth of coins and I want to sell it but no one wants to buy that(i.e no BUY orders) so what will happen?? Will my coins just be sitting there? or will automatically gets sold as market order?

reflector

Activity: 826
Merit: 263

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 06:39:07 PM

A market order gets sold immediately. It will fill the highest available buy-limit orders.
When you sell 10 BTC, it will fill the highest buy-limit orders that add up to 10 BTC. When you sell 100 BTC, it will fill the highest buy-limit orders that amount to 100 BTC.
The last of those buy-limit orders will be filled partly.

Yes, this is called a limit order. It will fill when the market price gets there.

I am really confused about your reply. When you sell it out bitcoin your wallet balance will becoem nil first. When the price is getting increase value for that in Fiat currency may get reduced but amount in btc will never change at all. If you would like to exchange the 1 dove worth btc means balance will be in your exchange wallet.
Coinzzz (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 06:40:39 PM

You could always put the sell order that you want for the expected price that you prefer.
Example is bitcoin. If tou think that it will go to 5000 dollars then input it there and the when exchange hit it there will be buyers of bitcoin until your sell order will be depleted up to the last satoshi.
Just be careful, there is a tax. So, you have to be sure of your inputs or you will be losing funds just by cancelling

Hmm yep got that.. thanks Smiley

btw by tax u mean the fee right? everytime I have to add/remove a order there is fees associated.
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 08:33:24 PM
Last edit: August 25, 2017, 08:43:31 PM by odolvlobo

What happens when the SELL amount is more than BUY amount? Will it get sold or not.

What I am worried about is, if I hold huge amount of worth of coins and I want to sell it but no one wants to buy that(i.e no BUY orders) so what will happen?? Will my coins just be sitting there? or will automatically gets sold as market order?

First, that is unlikely to happen unless you have a lot of coins or you are on a very small exchange. For example, on the Bittrex exchange right now, the first buy order in the book is to buy 29 million DOGE for around 11 BTC. Your 2 BTC worth of DOGE will easily be filled.

If you place a market sell order for more bitcoins than there are in the order book, then you will clear out the order book. I don't know what will happen to the unfilled portion of your order. It will probably be canceled.

Note that if you clear out the order book, you will have sold most of your coins at rock-bottom prices. You don't want that to happen, of course. If you have a lot to sell on a small exchange, you must sell slowly in order to avoid selling for very low prices.

Coinzzz (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 04:42:18 AM

First, that is unlikely to happen unless you have a lot of coins or you are on a very small exchange. For example, on the Bittrex exchange right now, the first buy order in the book is to buy 29 million DOGE for around 11 BTC. Your 2 BTC worth of DOGE will easily be filled.

If you place a market sell order for more bitcoins than there are in the order book, then you will clear out the order book. I don't know what will happen to the unfilled portion of your order. It will probably be canceled.

Note that if you clear out the order book, you will have sold most of your coins at rock-bottom prices. You don't want that to happen, of course. If you have a lot to sell on a small exchange, you must sell slowly in order to avoid selling for very low prices.

Thankss I think now I understand it more clearly..

about the last part you said... selling most of my coins at rock bottom prices, how can it happen since when putting sell order I've put a price?? or does it just tries to fulfill the order.

What my plan was to trade ONE coin only with my whole BTC account balance each day... but now it seems its not completely doable.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: