Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 11:56:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When do you think big distributers (like NewEgg) will start carrying ASICs?  (Read 996 times)
Singlebyte (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 03:15:51 PM

Just curious if anyone can see mainstream distributers start to carry bitcoin specific hardware for miners?  I would love to see newegg at some point have a "Mining Hardware" category.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
redphlegm

Activity: 246
Merit: 250

My spoon is too big!

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 03:29:38 PM

Interesting question. I think it mostly depends on the distributor network getting a lot more mature. I don't know what it takes to become a sold brand on there, but if there are full machines I could see them as a great place to buy them.

Whiskey Fund: (BTC) 1whiSKeYMRevsJMAQwU8NY1YhvPPMjTbM | (Ψ) ALcoHoLsKUfdmGfHVXEShtqrEkasihVyqW
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 03:31:57 PM

I was thinking about it, and it would help a lot, but something tells me it won't happen soon, especially when half of the ASIC makers don't keep their promises about schedule.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
exahash

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 04:19:15 PM

Just curious if anyone can see mainstream distributers start to carry bitcoin specific hardware for miners?  I would love to see newegg at some point have a "Mining Hardware" category.

No, I cannot see it.

Manufacturers will not produce that kind of volume, and if they do, the hardware will not produce enough hashes to be valuable any more.

If they all continue to produce smaller quantities, they can control the price and eliminate the middleman by selling direct to consumer.
yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 04:24:19 PM

If you would have a puppy which poops with golden coins, would you sell it to anybody?

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4451

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 04:40:57 PM

with avalon taking 3 months from taking orders to final delivery, and bfl.. well you know.. i dont see a legit distributor that has to abide by legal sales laws and terms and conditions being able to offer anything like that any time soon.

not until manufacturers can build products and have them shipped within a 2 week time scale without excuses, will any legit distributor take on a bitcoin project.

and if they did i know for sure that they would have each machine running for a week for *cough* quality assurance *cough* purposes, to maximise revenue

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Singlebyte (OP)

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 04:53:39 PM

If you would have a puppy which poops with golden coins, would you sell it to anybody?

No, I wouldn't.  But they are already selling them.  As more manufacturers get into the game it will be a competive market.  The one that makes the fastest/cheapest will have a the advantage.  If AMD was smart they would think about getting into manufacturing mining hardware.  They would dominate because they have the engineers and manufacturing facilities to make a very good/competitive product.  I only see this market getting larger and larger over the next 5 years or more.  It is just still in its infancy.

As the market grows, I could see distributors carrying a selection of different devices from different manufacturers.  Wouldn't it be nice to scan through the selection of offerings and look over the specs and read the reviews?  May not happen this month or year, but I see it becoming a reality.

Singlebyte (OP)

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 07:07:48 PM

Looks like my prediction from 8 months ago is coming true!  As reported last week, TigerDirect will now be carrying mining equipment from BFL.  Just wanted to pat myself on the back with this 8 month old prediction and laugh at the doubters. LOL

https://i.imgur.com/gqUnDLr.jpg

AltorXP

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 06:17:13 AM

A long time, so long that mining will require something better than ASICS, difficulty's already at 2B
No mainstream hardware (which is delivered months late) can keep up with that
With currecnt delays, I'm sure that newegg will wait a LONG time before trusting any ASIC manufacturer
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: