Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:55:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mattew N. Wright still passing off a scam in the past as just a "prank"  (Read 3329 times)
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:34:27 AM

So, an analogy would be that in order to show the level of trust of a neighborhood, you would need to break into those people's homes and steal a few things.  You would have given them back later, right?
You must never have been a hacker before if you don't understand that logic. I admit it's a controversial logic that non hackers don't understand, and it's something TradeFortress is pulling right now by suckering newbies into trusting him on Ripple etc (which I don't approve of), but at the time I thought it was an appropriate display and I had always had problems with my boundaries in regards to trolling. I don't have those problems now, my life has been fundamentally changed thanks to a wake up call, a few creative outlets presenting themselves and a new job that keeps me thinking about consequences of actions.

Looking back though, it was in fact inappropriate and over the top and could have given people a certain sense of comfort to do more stupid things with their money (aside from the already stupid thing they did with it). The battle I was fighting was a losing one though and I made things worse by deflecting the attention away from the real criminal. What else is there to talk about? After 8 months and having already apologized, started settlements with everyone involved (paying half already), you'll excuse me if I don't jump up and down to help you beat this dead horse. Is this just because you don't like the word "prank"? I'll use a different word then. How about "stunt"?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 01:53:14 PM

You know damn well if you won, you would have pursued our debt and made sure anyone who didn't pay up received a scammer tag. I went in when the amount was capped to 10K BTC, thought you were nuts, did some math, decided why not, this ponzi has came to it's end, free money. No payments from pirate... you got cold feets... decided let's go nuts and pretend it was a prank, accepted crazy bets until you reached 80k + BTC.
You thought Pirate was legit
I have neither believed he was legit nor non-legit, only that people were so quick to judge (just like you) what they didn't research or understand themselves.
Seriously man? We've seen so many ponzi schemes throughout the years it's not even necessary to research anything when you see a continuous percentage far higher than any man has ever been able to make it's obviously a scam. Then add an anonymous internet currency and the fact that a person so incredible smart he can earn more % than any man in history before him decided that hey, why not just deal with the hassle of investors and share the wealth. The numbers don't add up it's a no brainer.
People are still falling for total bullshit here on a daily basis, so overall it was just a waste of reputation and a pretty immature thing to do.
Most people were not falling for anything, they were just greedy and wanted more bitcoins. They knew it was a ponzi scheme and invested with the plan to get out before all the other suckers. Anyone with more than half a brain knew those returns offered is impossible long term.

What I've learned from all this is that you shouldn't interrupt the mob mentality unless you have *evidence* against them, not just opinion.
No, the mob should provide evidence. E.g show to any other investment that has been able to offer such returns long term. Or maybe prove what's wrong with the exponential growth argument.

It has already been argued that he could have used my bet to instill *more* trust for his scam (which is not what I had intended and felt horrible after making that connection myself).
Well, that's what it did, suckers started buying up pirate debts to hedge, because they believied your bet was legit.

What I would have done with funds if I had won is obvious. I am here to build, I am friends with almost every business and exchange owner in bitcoin. Do you really think I would have kept the money if I had won?
Would have kept? If this was a prank you wouldn't have accepted any money in the first place.

I'm not sorry for pulling a prank, I'm sorry for not realizing the damage it was causing.
Well lesson learned, and it wasn't a prank.

Until you don't do that, for me you will still be an untrustworthy, mentally unbalanced child.
I can live with that. There are some people who think because I said a 17 year old girl is hot in her pictures (which she is), that that makes me a pedo (someone who likes toddlers)
Well I don't know about your country, but if you read the law here, a child is defined as someone in the age range of 0-18 and if you think a 17 year old is hot, or even a 17.9 year old, that makes you a pedo because you find children attractive <sarcasm>you sick son of a bitch!!</sarcasm>. Now you have three options:
1. Be proud to be pedo
2. Chicken out and say you don't find anyone less than 18 years of age attractive.
3. Point out these mistakes whenever you see people making them.

Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 02:12:36 PM

Matt, I hope you have at least the balls and the decency to keep the promise you did in your "apology" to the community, just a few months ago:

I will not be involved in any businesses in this community any longer.

Oh... Wait... You are now auctioning shares of your batch #3 Avalon to noob members, in the auctioning subforum. Instead of using that income to repay your debt, you come back to the community to increase your profit.

Post after post you just expose how untrustworthy you are. Your words don't mean nothing. Do you know why? Because you think you are much smarter than you really are, and you live in that perpetual delusion.

kibblesnbits

Activity: 557

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 05:38:40 PM

So, an analogy would be that in order to show the level of trust of a neighborhood, you would need to break into those people's homes and steal a few things.  You would have given them back later, right?
You must never have been a hacker before if you don't understand that logic. I admit it's a controversial logic that non hackers don't understand, and it's something TradeFortress is pulling right now by suckering newbies into trusting him on Ripple etc (which I don't approve of), but at the time I thought it was an appropriate display and I had always had problems with my boundaries in regards to trolling. I don't have those problems now, my life has been fundamentally changed thanks to a wake up call, a few creative outlets presenting themselves and a new job that keeps me thinking about consequences of actions.

Looking back though, it was in fact inappropriate and over the top and could have given people a certain sense of comfort to do more stupid things with their money (aside from the already stupid thing they did with it). The battle I was fighting was a losing one though and I made things worse by deflecting the attention away from the real criminal. What else is there to talk about? After 8 months and having already apologized, started settlements with everyone involved (paying half already), you'll excuse me if I don't jump up and down to help you beat this dead horse. Is this just because you don't like the word "prank"? I'll use a different word then. How about "stunt"?

I'm probably twice your age, and yeah I've been in the scene probably while you were still in diapers.  I understand completely the hacker mentality, and kid - you ain't even close.  A hacker seeks to take things apart, understand how they work, then modify them and/or make them better.   Where in your messed-up sense of logic does your "stunt" fit into those parameters? 

Yeah you made a mistake.  You thought you were smarter than everyone else and it blew up in your face.  I also think you acted on some bad information (maybe from pirateat40 himself) and got MNW'd in the end.

ASICMINERTUBE

The Best $/Gh Bitcoin Miner So Far
   ►►►   DISCOVER NOW !!!   ◄◄◄
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 07:05:14 PM

Matt, I hope you have at least the balls and the decency to keep the promise you did in your "apology" to the community, just a few months ago:
I will not be involved in any businesses in this community any longer.

Rampion. your trolling is starting to become obvious. That post was made almost 9 months ago (not a few) and it was made when I left the first time and hadn't attempted to make things right. The fact that you'd cheaply try to paint a picture otherwise shows me you're not interested in making things right, just attempting to make me look bad.

Oh... Wait... You are now auctioning shares of your batch #3 Avalon to noob members
Some are noobs, some are trusted members who know me. You continue to use loaded words to paint a darker picture to fit your skewed reality. Case in point:

Instead of using that income to repay your debt,
I saw this kind of ignorance in the auction thread itself. People don't realize that in order to pay back millions of dollars in faux internet bets denominated in BTC, you actually have to earn BTC. It seems like a much smarter thing to do to purchase a mining rig that earns BTC when you have to make payments in BTC over a long period of time, doesn't it? Also, why did you think that those bitcoins that went towards buying the rig were mine? Did you think I don't have any friends who know my difficult situation? You sure do love making assumptions, something only a troll would be doing.

you come back to the community to increase your profit.
You incorrectly assume I had a profit to begin with, instead of a huge net loss in addition to making good on my promises. All you're doing is proving to me that you don't actually care about this issue, you just want to spew misdirected venom.

The mistakes I made are mine to own and make up for. It is absolutely clear to everyone here that Rampion has a hard on for trolling me (as could be seen as far back as the auction thread). I'll be happy to prove anyone of like thought wrong with future actions, but I'm a little tired now responding to uninformed vitriol. If you can post an actual argument, I'll obviously respond (because I enjoy learning, especially about myself!). Judging by the direction you're taking though, it seems you're out of steam and are stuck on a loop so I'll go ahead and leave this one for now.

Well I don't know about your country, but if you read the law here, a child is defined as someone in the age range of 0-18
Please look up the definition of that word. It doesn't mean what you think it means.

Despite everything, I appreciate even the trolls for helping to remind me of what I should be striving to be better then. Thanks for that.

Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 07:09:21 PM

Instead of using that income to repay your debt,
I saw this kind of ignorance in the auction thread itself. People don't realize that in order to pay back millions of dollars in faux internet bets denominated in BTC, you actually have to earn BTC. It seems like a much smarter thing to do to purchase a mining rig that earns BTC when you have to make payments in BTC over a long period of time, doesn't it? Also, why did you think that those bitcoins that went towards buying the rig were mine? Did you think I don't have any friends who know my difficult situation? You sure do love making assumptions, something only a troll would be doing.

So, you are publicly stating that all the BTC generated by your Avalon (except the % you have auctioned) will go to repay your debt with the community?

That would be a good start, Matt.

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 07:23:33 PM

So, you are publicly stating that all the BTC generated by your Avalon (except the % you have auctioned) will go to repay your debt with the community?

I'd be happy to answer your question (thank you for keeping the loaded words and insinuations to only a few this time . I know it was difficult for you  Roll Eyes). I have no need to make any public announcements because I don't owe the community any debt (at least I was under the impression this community is far larger than the number of people involved in my bet..at least I hope it is or bitcoin has no chance of success).

Most have already been paid, but the people remaining I have made settlements with and they will be paid per their terms, and yes, not only did the auctioned shares go straight to paying some of those settlements but bitcoins mined from those rigs will also be used for settlements. I'm not involved in bitcoin for profits at the moment, I'm involved to make money so that I can pay what I agreed to pay. Since that bet I was told by someone "trust takes years to build and seconds to break". I take that to heart now and have no intention of being in any role that requires unnecessary trust. That said, I've made my personal life and identity public to a point of weakness, to ensure that I am held accountable for my actions always. I'm happy to learn and help others learn from my actions as well. Can't wait to finish making things right and continue doing what I do best-- building.

See you around Rampion.

TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 07:25:10 PM

Well I don't know about your country, but if you read the law here, a child is defined as someone in the age range of 0-18
Please look up the definition of that word. It doesn't mean what you think it means.
Which is exactly my point....

And since you only replied to this off-topic comment, I'll assume you agree with the rest of what I said.

CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 10:20:51 PM

Matthew,

I have no skin in this game but it's pretty clear that your best course of action is to continue to try and compensate those you owe a debt to, keep your nose clean, and STFU.  Sorry to be blunt, but trying to explain yourself by using words like "stunt," "lesson," and "prank" is only pissing people off even more.  You're better off just saying you were wrong and are trying to make amends, and leave it at that as every sentence you write is going to be scrutinized.  By coming back and trying to justify your actions or give insight into your thought process, you're just coming off as someone who isn't 100% remorseful.  Forgiveness comes in time and by your deeds, nothing you say is going to speed up that process, to the contrary, it will probably just slow things down.  JMHO.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
kodo

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 03:18:23 AM

Mattew attempted to scam and wont be long I imagine till the next scam of his.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 08:10:28 AM
Last edit: May 29, 2013, 08:21:18 AM by Matthew N. Wright

Mattew attempted to scam and wont be long I imagine till the next scam of his.
In the 2 years I've been a major contributor to the bitcoin business community I've never scammed anyone and I don't intend to. I'm a builder. You're obviously free to judge me on my mistakes, failed businesses, or even my haircut though. Every bit of feedback helps me do a better job. Click the link in my signature for a list of mistakes you might want to judge me on some more. Smiley

KaTXi

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 09:34:56 AM

I'm one of the "shareholders" of the Avalon Batch 3 he auctioned. He has 2 ordered and 1 of them is sold to people like me, in small branches, so he won't get ANY BTCs from the mining he will (I hope) do with that Avalon.
I still trust him, and this is a GREAT opportunity to prove the community that he is legit: If he pays in a weekly (as promised) schedule he is clean to me (we all make mistakes).

PS: I'll keep you all posted on this Batch 3 auction and if he pays or not. It's the best way for him to be "re-trusted" again.

Poollo.com. Multi-Coin Anonymous Pool, No need to register!! Mine with us at 0.9% fees only.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:37:35 AM

I'm one of the "shareholders" of the Avalon Batch 3 he auctioned. He has 2 ordered and 1 of them is sold to people like me, in small branches, so he won't get ANY BTCs from the mining he will (I hope) do with that Avalon.
I still trust him, and this is a GREAT opportunity to prove the community that he is legit: If he pays in a weekly (as promised) schedule he is clean to me (we all make mistakes).

PS: I'll keep you all posted on this Batch 3 auction and if he pays or not. It's the best way for him to be "re-trusted" again.

Thank you KaTXi, appreciate that!

Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 01:20:57 PM

Reneging on a bet is 100% a scam, if you fail to see this then not only are you a scammer, but an idiot as well.

Your "prank" pumped up the value of bad pirate debt as people sought to hedge against your bet, guaranteeing a win no matter the outcome (the mere possibility of this shows how outrageous the bet was though... but people get blinded by greed)

I wanted to bet against you and even posted in the thread but you refused to escrow so I chose not to...

But many people did bet against you.

You caused people to buy bad pirate debt (and lose all that money) as they hedged against your bet!!!
He is not an idiot he just thinks the rest of us are.

That's the point that makes me mad at him. When he is saying that his bet was a "prank" to "teach people a lesson", he is telling us:

"you are so stupid that you didn't even realize my bet was a joke to teach you all a lesson".

As this is BS, because he obviously thought Pirate was legit and he told that many times, IMO he is just lying to himself to maintain the delusion that he is smarter than everybody else.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: