Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 09:20:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are BFL Jalapeños worth it?  (Read 9407 times)
The 4ner (OP)
aka newbitcoinqtuser

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 07:16:05 AM

With increasing difficulty would purchasing a BFL Jalapeño even be worth it?
swordfish6975

Activity: 721
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 07:24:53 AM

probably not

Full disclosure I have 2 on order but I ordered on the 7th of September. (lets hope this isn't to late)

The one HD5850 I was running and cashing out some BTC at a good time managed to pay them off already.

>>>>  Physical Bitcoin And Altcoin Price Ticker Screen - http://afkdata.com <<<<

http://cryptofolio.info  - google finance of cryptos
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 07:27:15 AM

In 20 years from now, yeah. It will have been worth everything.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
The 4ner (OP)
aka newbitcoinqtuser

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 07:29:35 AM

What about when pool mining? Will those 5 GH/s still be worth it then?
hl5460
Legendary

Activity: 1620
Merit: 1000

news.8btc.com

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 07:30:07 AM

good point!

Frizz23

Activity: 1162

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 11:39:08 AM

Given BFLs track record of failure, what do you think is the probability that those things run 24/7 for, lets say, a year, or even 6 month?

If you are outside the USA and have to RMA them (time to ship to BFL, time to repair, time to ship back, customs again, ...) you will be truly fucked.

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
ripple

Activity: 287
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 11:57:34 AM

Visit this website to view the pre-order queue for Butterfly Labs.

http://bfl.ptz.ro/

Consider there may be 60,000 items ordered before yours.

Butterfly labs previously announced the intention to ship 400 units per day, although at present they have sent out less than 100 units in total.

Then consider that with increasing difficulty levels, which are increased each two weeks, that by the time you receive you unit, it may not be profitable and you may not recover the cost of the unit.

Unlike graphics cards, ASICs can not be used for anything else, and so will have little resale value.

With the present sales of ASIC chips in bulk from a competitor, Avalon, in lots of ten thousand to distributors, new miner units could reach retail customers by late July.   If so this extra estimated 84 TH/s, at around $2.8 million in chip value, could have an enormous impact on mining output and difficulty levels thereafter.

If the price of Bitcoins were to average $120, and difficulty was to increase each 2 week period by 18%, then provided you receive before 29th Oct 13 you can break even with a Jalepino.  You will double your money or better if you receive on or before 3rd Sept 13 and lose money if you receive after 5th Nov 13.

People receiving today (22nd May 2013) would be expected to earn about $2,100 profit on a Jalepino.

The above figures assume you pay $274 plus $38 shipping to US, $0.15 per kWh for electricity, pay 3% of proceeds to a mining pool, and run the machine 24/7 until the end of 2014 with no downtime.

You have been warned!

TheSwede75

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 02:43:12 PM

Visit this website to view the pre-order queue for Butterfly Labs.

http://bfl.ptz.ro/

Consider there may be 60,000 items ordered before yours.

Butterfly labs previously announced the intention to ship 400 units per day, although at present they have sent out less than 100 units in total.

Then consider that with increasing difficulty levels, which are increased each two weeks, that by the time you receive you unit, it may not be profitable and you may not recover the cost of the unit.

Unlike graphics cards, ASICs can not be used for anything else, and so will have little resale value.

With the present sales of ASIC chips in bulk from a competitor, Avalon, in lots of ten thousand to distributors, new miner units could reach retail customers by late July.   If so this extra estimated 84 TH/s, at around $2.8 million in chip value, could have an enormous impact on mining output and difficulty levels thereafter.

If the price of Bitcoins were to average $120, and difficulty was to increase each 2 week period by 18%, then provided you receive before 29th Oct 13 you can break even with a Jalepino.  You will double your money or better if you receive on or before 3rd Sept 13 and lose money if you receive after 5th Nov 13.

People receiving today (22nd May 2013) would be expected to earn about $2,100 profit on a Jalepino.

The above figures assume you pay $274 plus $38 shipping to US, $0.15 per kWh for electricity, pay 3% of proceeds to a mining pool, and run the machine 24/7 until the end of 2014 with no downtime.

You have been warned!

And the day I take any advice from someone with the user name "ripple" is still not even close.
andrewsg

Activity: 154

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 02:54:47 PM

And the day I take any advice from someone with the user name "ripple" is still not even close.

Do you also happen to have some intelligent contribution to the topic at hand, some alternative analysis to refute his post?

Bitcoin can be bad for your chi. Improve yours and mine by sending BTC to: 1N1zRYSwKQbZ8Kx1bKvTskrjGMNynVFEr1
tigerfree
Legendary

Activity: 1015
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 03:38:39 PM

not worth it .
BBQKorv

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 03:49:50 PM

If you would get them right now, then yes. But with their trackrecord of delays after delays you'r lucky to get it this year and thats way too late.
Tomintx

Activity: 69

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:25:10 PM

...But with their trackrecord of delays after delays you'r lucky to get it this year and thats way too late.
There was a song by Johnny Mathis in the 50's that describes BFL's delivery schedule...

"Twelfth of Never"
The 4ner (OP)
aka newbitcoinqtuser

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 06:23:39 PM

If BFL has been such a disappointment why then hasn't anyone already sued them? In the U.S, I mean.
Sk1llS

Activity: 87

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 07:14:15 PM

If BFL has been such a disappointment why then hasn't anyone already sued them? In the U.S, I mean.

I think because they can just say "we still working on the products". If their delivery dates aren't stated in the contract, technically they have not broken the contract. As unethical as it is, according to the law I don't think they have done anything wrong.

This is what I think is happening:
- BFL had an idea to "sell" mining equipment and needed capital.
- Offered pre-orders and made people pay upfront to generate capital.
- They used the capital to buy the chips, manufacture the equipment

Now they are merrily mining as hard and fast as they can with everyone's paid for equipment and getting as much BTC as they can.
When the mining difficulty gets ridiculously high and it's no longer profitable to mine, they will start shipping these "tested" units to everyone who paid for them.
So all you people waiting with pre-orders will eventually get your kit from BFL, but only when it's too late to break even or get a ROI.
The 4ner (OP)
aka newbitcoinqtuser

R.I.P Silk Road 1.0

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 07:33:08 PM

I think because they can just say "we still working on the products". If their delivery dates aren't stated in the contract, technically they have not broken the contract. As unethical as it is, according to the law I don't think they have done anything wrong.

Now they are merrily mining as hard and fast as they can with everyone's paid for equipment and getting as much BTC as they can.
When the mining difficulty gets ridiculously high and it's no longer profitable to mine, they will start shipping these "tested" units to everyone who paid for them.
So all you people waiting with pre-orders will eventually get your kit from BFL, but only when it's too late to break even or get a ROI.

This makes sense.
chungenhung
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 08:20:38 PM

no
lowlevel

Activity: 159

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 08:32:04 PM

With increasing difficulty would purchasing a BFL Jalapeño even be worth it?

I'm with everyone else here.. by the time you get the thing, it'll probably be worthless.

Would you rather talk Altcoins? - https://cryptocointalk.com/
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 09:02:29 PM

I don't think it makes sense for them to mine with equipment if they had it.  Certainly not fiscal sense, and they are clearly in the business of making money.

Lots of people are forking over 2BTC a pop right now for USB miners from ASICMINER that do 300 MH/s.  $244 for 300 MH/s.

BFL's lowest offering supposedly ~5000 MH/s for $275.

If BFL had units that they were confident in shipping to customers it would be absolutely in their best interest to ship those units, because the market has already shown that buyers are willing to pay far more for a functional miner that they can get in a reasonable amount of time.

That money going to ASICMINER usb sales is just one example of market share that BFL lost because they aren't shipping already.  The Avalon chips people are buying to put in custom made boards is another.
Quix

Activity: 174

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 02:09:25 AM

Also, because BFL will give out refunds, it's not definable as a scam. There really is no point in suing because they're willing to refund you what you're due. Seeing the way they're performing a refund might be a good idea.
aa

Activity: 544

Litecoin is right coin

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 06:54:04 AM

Also, because BFL will give out refunds, it's not definable as a scam. There really is no point in suing because they're willing to refund you what you're due. Seeing the way they're performing a refund might be a good idea.
Everyone's* too scared to get a refund because they could ship any day now!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: