Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:11:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is Ragingazn628?  (Read 1830 times)
wrenchmonkey

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 04:56:50 PM

The chips aren't anywhere near shipping yet, so he has no responsibility to sit around an monitor the forums, just in case somebody wants to change horses mid-race, or whatever. Not his responsibility. Not the job he signed up for.

He said he was going to offer PCBs, too. No news on that front.

Without digging through pages of threads, I think he indicated that he was going to try and organize assembly through some of the developer projects that are popping up. However, I don't think he promised to do this, nor would any reasonable person have used this as contingency on placing an order for chips. Irrelevant.

I travel a few times a year, and occasionally spend 15-20 days at a time without getting online beyond monitoring my phone for any legitimate emergencies. Sometimes I might jump online really quickly on my phone to check up on something of interest, etc, but that doesn't mean that I get on once, and I'm suddenly responsible to answer every single email or message I've received.

Then don't take $100k of other peoples' money.

So, I (or he) are not allowed to take a vacation, if I (or he) have orders in place? What planet are you from? If he takes a vacation when the chips show up, we have a problem. Until the chips show up, he has no obligation to you or anybody else, how he spends his time.

No, because it puts HUNDREDS of people's orders at risk, just for the convenience of ONE PERSON, who can't be bothered to stick to his commitment. That's not entitlement to look out for the group as a whole. What's entitled is expecting that it's okay to put the risk of EVERYBODY's order getting screwed up aside, in favor of benefitting ONE person, who doesn't have the testicular fortitude to complete the transaction that he agreed to. Can't keep your word? Fine. Why should that be everybody else's problem, and not YOUR problem?

Do you actually have any reason for the argument that it puts other orders at risk? The people that don't transfer their chips still have their records intact, and he can't ship more (or less, hopefully) chips than he's accounted for.

Read it in context of the quote that he was responding to. I don't personally believe that there's a major risk to other orders getting screwed up from one or two changes, but I don't discount the idea that it could happen. I think it's a legitimate concern. Especially if order changes become commonplace. Occam's razor here. The simpler we can keep things, the less likely something is to get screwed up (like accidentally double-shipping an order, because somebody's name was supposed to be dropped when another name was added. When he gets to the last few names, and he's missing x number of chips, what happens then?

Regardless, the point I was making is that the person I was responding to was calling somebody "entitled" for having a concern that changing the system to accomodate the few could have repercussions for the whole. Which is simply not true. Putting the whole at risk for the wants to the few IS selfish and entitled.

this is not about you wrenchmonkey, so save your personal stories for an audience that cares.  also please stop repeating your platitudes, they're tired.

Hmm, it's not "about" you either, yet that doesn't stop you from posting. Hypocrite much?

Also, to which "platitudes" are you referring?

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 04:58:33 PM

Again: did you use escrow?

no offense, but isn't this only relevant if the chips haven't been ordered?  If they've been ordered I assume John K has already had to forward the btc to Avalon, hence limited protection here.

True. Hope at least you requested for his ID, etc. to be reviewed by mods. You simply do not give such amount of money to a random guy on the interwebz without having his info checked.

It was my understanding that John K has all of ragingazn's verified personal info.
wrenchmonkey

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 05:00:32 PM

The chips aren't anywhere near shipping yet, so he has no responsibility to sit around an monitor the forums, just in case somebody wants to change horses mid-race, or whatever. Not his responsibility. Not the job he signed up for.

If I were him, I'd charge a fee for people who wanted to change their orders up after the fact. Time is money, and when you have to make special accommodations to every person who went off half-cocked, and bought things they couldn't afford, or have buyers remorse after the fact, time gets expensive real quick.

That is a reasonable compromise.

I travel a few times a year, and occasionally spend 15-20 days at a time without getting online beyond monitoring my phone for any legitimate emergencies. Sometimes I might jump online really quickly on my phone to check up on something of interest, etc, but that doesn't mean that I get on once, and I'm suddenly responsible to answer every single email or message I've received.

No, because it puts HUNDREDS of people's orders at risk, just for the convenience of ONE PERSON, who can't be bothered to stick to his commitment. That's not entitlement to look out for the group as a whole. What's entitled is expecting that it's okay to put the risk of EVERYBODY's order getting screwed up aside, in favor of benefitting ONE person, who doesn't have the testicular fortitude to complete the transaction that he agreed to. Can't keep your word? Fine. Why should that be everybody else's problem, and not YOUR problem?

Do you actually have any reason for the argument that it puts other orders at risk? The people that don't transfer their chips still have their records intact, and he can't ship more (or less, hopefully) chips than he's accounted for.

I just have one thing to say: if there's people stupid enough to give $100k's to an anonymous guy on the interwebz, without asking and checking his ID, etc., or at the very least without having a trusted moderator to verify all his personal details (ID, home address, etc.), then the fault is all on the people who handed over the money to that anonymous guy on the interwebz.

I've managed group buys here and I always sent my passport, ID, utility bills, etc. to the people that were trusting me with their money. Otherwise, is just too easy to run with it - don't you think so?

You're clearly not familiar with the group buy in question. Passport, utility bills, photos of OP (in front of his house, with address visible), etc, were all given to a trusted Escrow. The money never touched Ragin's account (was forwarded directly to Avalon by Escrow).

The people freaking out are just upset because he isn't babysitting them in their decision to reneg on an already established deal. No cause for alarm for those who participated in the group buy. At least not for anybody with two brain cells to rub together.

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 05:01:54 PM

If I were him, I'd charge a fee for people who wanted to change their orders up after the fact. Time is money, and when you have to make special accommodations to every person who went off half-cocked, and bought things they couldn't afford, or have buyers remorse after the fact, time gets expensive real quick.

That is a reasonable compromise.

I just have one thing to say: if there's people stupid enough to give $100k's to an anonymous guy on the interwebz, without asking and checking his ID, etc., or at the very least without having a trusted moderator to verify all his personal details (ID, home address, etc.), then the fault is all on the people who handed over the money to that anonymous guy on the interwebz.

I've managed group buys here and I always sent my passport, ID, utility bills, etc. to the people that were trusting me with their money. Otherwise, is just too easy to run with it - don't you think so?

You're clearly not familiar with the group buy in question. Passport, utility bills, photos of OP (in front of his house, with address visible), etc, were all given to a trusted Escrow. The money never touched Ragin's account (was forwarded directly to Avalon by Escrow).

The people freaking out are just upset because he isn't babysitting them in their decision to reneg on an already established deal. No cause for alarm for those who participated in the group buy. At least not for anybody with two brain cells to rub together.

Good. I was just asking. If mods verified his personal info, I wouldn't worry too much.

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 05:20:00 PM

no offense, but isn't this only relevant if the chips haven't been ordered?  If they've been ordered I assume John K has already had to forward the btc to Avalon, hence limited protection here.

True. Hope at least you requested for his ID, etc. to be reviewed by mods. You simply do not give such amount of money to a random guy on the interwebz without having his info checked.

It was my understanding that John K has all of ragingazn's verified personal info.

I confirm this. Also, I've got a reply from him, and he states that he's been busy lately. I'll check the thread later to see if he's confirmed there.
wrenchmonkey

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 05:27:38 PM
Last edit: May 23, 2013, 07:44:00 PM by wrenchmonkey

no offense, but isn't this only relevant if the chips haven't been ordered?  If they've been ordered I assume John K has already had to forward the btc to Avalon, hence limited protection here.

I confirm this. Also, I've got a reply from him, and he states that he's been busy lately. I'll check the thread later to see if he's confirmed there.

But, but, but, he has no RIGHT to be busy, according to some people...  Cheesy

Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 06:27:18 PM

I am so glad that people didn't flip out needlessly... sheesh. Move along nothing to see here.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: