Bitcoin Forum
June 06, 2024, 05:56:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Bling Bet  (Read 2040 times)
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 02:40:24 PM

At the Bitcoin 2013 conference on Sunday Matija Mazi (Mati) and I (Jim) agreed to a multi year Bitcoin bet and I wanted to go on the record about it.

The Bet
Jim bets Mati 1 BTC that he can provide a photo from "one of those trashy celebrity magazines" of a celebrity wearing a blinged up Bitcoin hardware wallet.

The deadline for the bet was four years from when the bet was made. This is 3.30 PDT, 20th May 2017.

If Jim can provide such a photo before the deadline, Jim wins and Mati pays Jim 1 BTC.
If Jim cannot provide such a photo before the deadline, Mati wins and Jim pays Mati 1 BTC.

Witness and referee
Antonin Hildebrand ("Tonda") is both the witness and referee for this bet.

Rules
Jim cannot make it happen by creating a blinged up hardware wallet and giving it to a celebrity.
The definition of "one of those trashy celebrity magazines", "celebrity" and "blinged up" were left unspecified but we figured out we would know when it happened.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
bennett616

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

http://www.freebitcointips.co.uk/

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 02:42:27 PM

Forever on record now haha Tongue

Andy B

mazi

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 01:05:02 PM

At the Bitcoin 2013 conference on Sunday Matija Mazi (Mati) and I (Jim) agreed to a multi year Bitcoin bet and I wanted to go on the record about it.

The Bet
Jim bets Mati 1 BTC that he can provide a photo from "one of those trashy celebrity magazines" of a celebrity wearing a blinged up Bitcoin hardware wallet.

The deadline for the bet was four years from when the bet was made. This is 3.30 PDT, 20th May 2017.

If Jim can provide such a photo before the deadline, Jim wins and Mati pays Jim 1 BTC.
If Jim cannot provide such a photo before the deadline, Mati wins and Jim pays Mati 1 BTC.

Witness and referee
Antonin Hildebrand ("Tonda") is both the witness and referee for this bet.

Rules
Jim cannot make it happen by creating a blinged up hardware wallet and giving it to a celebrity.
The definition of "one of those trashy celebrity magazines", "celebrity" and "blinged up" were left unspecified but we figured out we would know when it happened.

Thanks for inventing new nicks for me and Antonin, Jim Smiley

Anyway, I am the other side of the bet and I confirm that the bet was the way Jim describes it above, with a small note: Antonin agreed to be the witness, but I'm not sure he agreed to his role as a referee. In any case, hopefully a referee won't be needed.

jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 01:55:50 PM

Hi Mazi,

Great - that is both of us on the record now !

I expect the next four years will zip by - I think I'll put a reminder in my phone now to remind me.

:-)

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
garyrowe

Activity: 198
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 10:51:56 AM

I shall watch this with interest. 1 bitcoin in 4 years time could be worth a *lot*.

jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 12:50:39 PM

We were talking about that and figured the best thing to do was set 1 BTC aside now to cover it. That way there is no risk. We were guessing how much 1 BTC would be at the end of the bet - the best I could come up with was 'less than a million US dollars'.

darwin

Activity: 3

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 09:43:29 PM

Hello,

I'm Antonin Hildebrand and I'm witness of the bet. Also I agree to be the referee in case of a dispute.

See you in 2017 or sooner!
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2013, 08:48:04 AM

Hi Antonin,

Thanks for your post.

Now that the Winklevoss twins are starting a Bitcoin Fund it is only a matter of time before the NY fashionistas start wearing bitcoin fashion items . . .

:-)

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 02:03:27 PM

Mati means dead in Indonesian. Tongue

That said, this is an interesting bet - bookmarked for 2017!
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 02:11:48 PM

Would you guys like a third party escrow for this? Send the 1 BTC to a cold wallet made just for this bet. Each one sends 1 BTC, so the cold wallet will contain 2 BTC. Winner gets the private key or the amount is sent to his own wallet in 4 years.

There is of course John K. However, I was hoping I'd get the job. Smiley

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 02:18:03 PM

Would you guys like a third party escrow for this? Send the 1 BTC to a cold wallet made just for this bet. Each one sends 1 BTC, so the cold wallet will contain 2 BTC. Winner gets the private key or the amount is sent to his own wallet in 4 years.

There is of course John K. However, I was hoping I'd get the job. Smiley

Nah, I don't think that jim618 needs an escrow here, especially considering the amounts involved.  Wink
People trust him for Multibit on a daily basis.
mazi

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 07:43:24 PM

We did consider a multisig transaction to store the funds for the duration of the bet (eg. 2-of-3 with Darwin the natural third party) but we decided against it -- I think because we wanted to avoid the need to store private keys for 4 years. It's still an option though as far as I'm concerned since I haven't tried multisig yet (or seen it used) and this seems a nice use case Smiley
Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:02:07 AM

Okay. I'm curious to see what the bling hardware wallet will look like. So far, I see Trezor that is gold-plated or something like that.

mazi

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:30:12 AM

I'm curious to see what the bling hardware wallet will look like.

What bling hardware? There will be none.
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 06:33:35 AM
Last edit: July 03, 2013, 12:52:48 PM by jim618

I'm curious to see what the bling hardware wallet will look like.

What bling hardware? There will be none.

I think there was a phone brand Vertu where they added those fake diamonds to the case.
I've seen phones where (mainly young women) attach Hello Kitty keychains etc.

In a world where there was a fad for ripping off VW car name badges and wearing them as medallions anything is possible.

escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 12:19:34 PM

Epic bet.

Posting it here for record.
See you guys in 2017 Cheesy
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2013, 10:20:10 AM

This sure looks pretty . . .

Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 01:44:32 PM

I'll do the escrow for free. Just for the epicness of it. It's not about trust (since one of you make multibit), but rather the idea is that I'm a third party. (For reference, I just did a 4 BTC escrow, I've got to start somewhere.)

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 02:41:50 PM

An escrow for 4 years is a bit risky
The possibility of him dying before it is not negligeable IMO

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 03:10:05 PM

An escrow for 4 years is a bit risky
The possibility of him dying before it is not negligeable IMO

Who's going to die? There will be 3 people involved. I can set up a dead man's switch that will send an email on May 30 2017 to both parties, in case I get hit by a bus before then. If either of them gets hit by a bus, then of course, the coins go to their heirs.

Sorry if this sounds morbid, but my experience with insurance says, you are dead on paper if you lose two arms and two feet. They also count fingers and toes.

Anyway, it's a 1 BTC bet, don't make me spend on an attorney to handle any dying issues. hehe. (Oh, in 4 years, 1 BTC might be worth something, I mean, 4 years ago a pizza was worth 10,000 coins.)

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: