Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:45:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: for US Citizens: if you use VPN to buy into ICO, can the Government penalize?  (Read 3608 times)
sephir0th

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 04:49:57 AM

I don't think it's illegal for citizens, more like it's illegal for icos to sell to US citizens who not accredited investors.

https://www.sec.gov/news/press-release/2017-131

"The Report confirms that issuers of distributed ledger or blockchain technology-based securities must register offers and sales of such securities unless a valid exemption applies. Those participating in unregistered offerings also may be liable for violations of the securities laws"

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
anylic

Activity: 278
Merit: 115

GIF by SOCIFI

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 05:00:58 AM

The SEC-controlled projects will not allow USA investors to participate in their projects, and there are some Exchanges that have banned VPS from the USA. The government will not penalize you personally, but perhaps that project will have legal problems and the SEC will intervene

NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 06:08:48 AM

You can't hide your ID, because the team will ask your KYC, and they will prevent you buying if they know you are  from US.

Still, this is mainly only relevent in the later stages and if they host their own platform.

If they are tradable on say the ethereum or waves chain, no ID verification is required.
ciceronyc (OP)

Activity: 12

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 02:03:42 AM

I don't think it's illegal for citizens, more like it's illegal for icos to sell to US citizens who not accredited investors.

"The Report confirms that issuers of distributed ledger or blockchain technology-based securities must register offers and sales of such securities unless a valid exemption applies. Those participating in unregistered offerings also may be liable for violations of the securities laws"

Bloody hell.  Thanks for sharing that link.

Here's a quote from the full SEC text found at: https://www.sec.gov/litigation/investreport/34-81207.pdf
Moreover, those who participate in an unregistered offer and sale of securities not subject
to a valid exemption are liable for violating Section 5. See, e.g., Murphy, 626 F.2d at 650-51
(“[T]hose who ha[ve] a necessary role in the transaction are held liable as participants.”) (citing
SEC v. North Am. Research & Dev. Corp., 424 F.2d 63, 81 (2d Cir. 1970); SEC v. Culpepper,
270 F.2d 241, 247 (2d Cir. 1959); SEC v. International Chem. Dev. Corp., 469 F.2d 20, 28 (10th
Cir. 1972); Pennaluna & Co. v. SEC, 410 F.2d 861, 864 n.1, 868 (9th Cir. 1969)); SEC v.
Softpoint, Inc., 958 F. Supp 846, 859-60 (S.D.N.Y. 1997) (“The prohibitions of Section 5 …
sweep[] broadly to encompass ‘any person’ who participates in the offer or sale of an
unregistered, non-exempt security.”); SEC v. Chinese Consol. Benevolent Ass’n., 120 F.2d 738,
740-41 (2d Cir. 1941) (defendant violated Section 5(a) “because it engaged in selling
unregistered securities” issued by a third party “when it solicited offers to buy the securities ‘for
value’”).
_ICOBroker_

Activity: 50

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2017, 08:00:47 AM

Anyone that is looking to still participate in upcoming ICO's like Kyber, Enigma, Red Pulse etc, but have problems regarding location restrictions, please consider using our investment service.
For more information, visit http://icobroker.trade/
Traxo

Activity: 568
Merit: 703

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 08:14:31 AM

Bloody hell.  Thanks for sharing that link.

Here's a quote from the full SEC text found at: https://www.sec.gov/litigation/investreport/34-81207.pdf
Moreover, those who participate in an unregistered offer and sale of securities not subject
to a valid exemption are liable for violating Section 5. See, e.g., Murphy, 626 F.2d at 650-51
(“[T]hose who ha[ve] a necessary role in the transaction are held liable as participants.”) (citing
SEC v. North Am. Research & Dev. Corp., 424 F.2d 63, 81 (2d Cir. 1970); SEC v. Culpepper,
270 F.2d 241, 247 (2d Cir. 1959); SEC v. International Chem. Dev. Corp., 469 F.2d 20, 28 (10th
Cir. 1972); Pennaluna & Co. v. SEC, 410 F.2d 861, 864 n.1, 868 (9th Cir. 1969)); SEC v.
Softpoint, Inc., 958 F. Supp 846, 859-60 (S.D.N.Y. 1997) (“The prohibitions of Section 5 …
sweep[] broadly to encompass ‘any person’ who participates in the offer or sale of an
unregistered, non-exempt security.”); SEC v. Chinese Consol. Benevolent Ass’n., 120 F.2d 738,
740-41 (2d Cir. 1941) (defendant violated Section 5(a) “because it engaged in selling
unregistered securities” issued by a third party “when it solicited offers to buy the securities ‘for
value’”).

It's even bloodier than that:

Are Most Cryptocurrencies Doomed to Collapse — because they’re “ICO-issued”?

Koontas

Activity: 784
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 08:19:12 AM

Questions like this one are a proof for me that there is a real need for anonymous ICOs. Also most of the coins should implement anonymous features like ring sig or zerocoin as default features to prevent government regulations.

Don't trust any exchange!
2bfree

Activity: 686
Merit: 251

I'm investigating Crypto Projects

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2017, 09:41:12 AM

Maybe I am missing something, but everyone here seems to have this backwards. The US government isn't going to come after US citizens who buy coins in an ICO. Why would they? I don't even think there is a law against buying coins.

The law pertains to selling the coins to US citizens, not buying them. If an ICO sells to US citizens, the US government, in all its oppressive fury, can say that the ICO, by selling to US citizens, must comply with US law. Then, they can come down on the ICO founders, destroy them, and take all their money. In the name of justice, of course. It's the American way.

So, naturally, ICOs may not want to do business with US citizens, as they don't want to be subject to draconian US laws. That's why they won't sell to you. They would like your money, but it's just safer to avoid Americans altogether. European banks have been cutting loose their US customers for years now, for similar reasons, making life for US expats nearly impossible.

By lying about who you are, you are exposing an innocent start-up company to the risk of US law destroying them. I suppose that, if they found out, you might be guilty of some kind of breach of contract. It would depend on the laws of the country they are based in, and that would be civil matter anyway - not a criminal matter.

The US government, in fact, might be thrilled by you buying into such an ICO. It gives them an excuse to go after the start-up, squash them and take their money.

I live in a country that hates freedom in East Europe but when I turn on TV all I hear is America is land of the free, are you trying to say that is not true?

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
>>FREE SEO AUDIT/WHITE LABEL MAKE MONEY!<<
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
ciceronyc (OP)

Activity: 12

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 04:26:16 PM

It's even bloodier than that:

Are Most Cryptocurrencies Doomed to Collapse — because they’re “ICO-issued”?

Excellent reading.  It looks like this guy thinks the entire ICO industry could collapse.  Worthy of a few re-reads no doubt.
Still at a loss if any solution exists to the ICO

Maybe I am missing something, but everyone here seems to have this backwards. The US government isn't going to come after US citizens who buy coins in an ICO. Why would they? I don't even think there is a law against buying coins.

The law pertains to selling the coins to US citizens, not buying them. If an ICO sells to US citizens, the US government, in all its oppressive fury, can say that the ICO, by selling to US citizens, must comply with US law. Then, they can come down on the ICO founders, destroy them, and take all their money. In the name of justice, of course. It's the American way.

So, naturally, ICOs may not want to do business with US citizens, as they don't want to be subject to draconian US laws. That's why they won't sell to you. They would like your money, but it's just safer to avoid Americans altogether. European banks have been cutting loose their US customers for years now, for similar reasons, making life for US expats nearly impossible.

By lying about who you are, you are exposing an innocent start-up company to the risk of US law destroying them. I suppose that, if they found out, you might be guilty of some kind of breach of contract. It would depend on the laws of the country they are based in, and that would be civil matter anyway - not a criminal matter.

The US government, in fact, might be thrilled by you buying into such an ICO. It gives them an excuse to go after the start-up, squash them and take their money.

I live in a country that hates freedom in East Europe but when I turn on TV all I hear is America is land of the free, are you trying to say that is not true?

Freedom in the USA is over hyped, imho.
Alcarin

Activity: 144
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 04:36:38 PM

everyone needs to ignore Traxo for spreading FUD on purpose... he posts his link in every thread... once was enough

he is trying to spread epic FEAR into people!

Very happy if you use my ref link:
Kuccoin: https://www.kucoin.com/#/?r=E3I9Ij
hanlieuiypm9832

Activity: 404
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 04:44:54 PM

As far as I know, some ICO projects will refuse American citizens to join in by show a highlighted reminder on their ICO instructions, and the American IP will be banned to login in.

▄▄▄██████████████████▄▄▄
            ▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀███████████████████████▄▄
        ▄▄███▀   ▄▄▄   ▀████████████████████████▄▄
     ▄██████  ▄███████▄  ▀██████████████████▀▀▀█████▄
   ▄███████    ███▀▀ ██    ███████████  ███▀  ▄███████▄
  █████████▄  ▄█▀  ▄███    ██████████  ▄██  ▄███████████
 ██████████████▀  ████▀   ▄██▀▀▀████  ▄████▀  ███████████
██████████████▀  ▄███▀   ▄█▀  ▄▄ ██▀ ▄█  ██  █████████████
██████████████   ▀     ▄██▀  ▄█  █▀  █   █▀▄  ▀███████████
█████████████▀  ▄███▄  ▀██   ██ ▄▄▄  █▀ ▄▄▀█▄  ▀▄█████████
█████████████   █████   ▀██▄ ▀▄████▄  ▄███▄▀  ▄███████████
 █████   ▀██▀  ▄█████    █▀▀█████████████████▀███████████