Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:48:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin Philanthropist Award  (Read 2036 times)
FinShaggy (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 12:33:17 AM

The invention of TNT funded the nobel prize, why shouldn't the invention of crypto-currency allow for an award for amazing strides in Earthly development.

How can we get this started?

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 12:43:26 AM

Hmm, so it would basically be a monetary (BTC) award for the person who uses bitcoin to best help humanity?

That would make a good test of the BitPools project in my sig. Wink

I should have it open for beta testing in about 2-3 weeks.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 12:45:55 AM

Hmm, so it would basically be a monetary (BTC) award for the person who uses bitcoin to best help humanity?

That would make a good test of the BitPools project in my sig. Wink

I should have it open for beta testing in about 2-3 weeks.

Basically, and some form of trophy.

I'll look into the site when it's open.

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 02:28:30 AM

The invention of TNT funded the nobel prize,
You mean dynamite. Alfred Nobel invented dynamite, as he was so appalled by the number of people being accidentally killed by nitroglycerin that he looked to develop a safer means of handling it (dynamite is just nitroglycerin with diatomaceous earth added as a desensitiser). But apparently not everyone thought dynamite was a life-saving invention, as Nobel discovered when a French newspaper published his obituary prematurely, which is what led him to found the Nobel Prize in his will. And yet even today, people still think he was a bad guy. You just can't win.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 02:30:47 AM

The invention of TNT funded the nobel prize,
You mean dynamite. Alfred Nobel invented dynamite, as he was so appalled by the number of people being accidentally killed by nitroglycerin that he looked to develop a safer means of handling it (dynamite is just nitroglycerin with diatomaceous earth added as a desensitiser). But apparently not everyone thought dynamite was a life-saving invention, as Nobel discovered when a French newspaper published his obituary prematurely, which is what led him to found the Nobel Prize in his will. And yet even today, people still think he was a bad guy. You just can't win.

Yeah, Nitroglycerin and sand. But isn't that TNT? What is TNT?

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 02:56:04 AM

In dynamite, the active ingredient is nitroglycerin, a colourless, oily liquid that goes boom if you sneeze on it. Since this is an undesirable property to have in an explosive if you want the people using it to stay alive, it is mixed with other ingredients to make dynamite (and similar explosives). These ingredients are usually completely inert and serve no other purpose than to prevent the nitroglycerin from exploding when you don't want it to.

TNT, or trinitrotoluene, is a different chemical entirely. It is a yellow solid material which is very insensitive to shock, and therefore can be safely used in its pure form. It is significantly less powerful than dynamite and does not resemble dynamite in any way.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 05:35:35 PM

The invention of TNT funded the nobel prize, why shouldn't the invention of crypto-currency allow for an award for amazing strides in Earthly development.

Get a committee together that will judge nominees and award the prize. Try to go for the least likely to be accused of shenanigans (in other words, avoid Bitcoin Foundation Board Members, CEOs of high profile bitcoin companies, etc).

To gather funds, go the opposite route: solicit from the biggest names and the deepest pockets. I'd also suggest making it mandatory that the donations be anonymous.

Develop a website and post the minimum requirements to be considered for the prize. The Nobel Prize is awarded in several different areas since it is often difficult to quantify contributions across different fields so Bitcoin Philanthropist Awards might be given to the leaders in Cryptography, Economics, Humanitarian Works, etc.

Still around.
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 05:57:07 PM

Get a committee together that will judge nominees and award the prize. Try to go for the least likely to be accused of shenanigans (in other words, avoid Bitcoin Foundation Board Members, CEOs of high profile bitcoin companies, etc).

To gather funds, go the opposite route: solicit from the biggest names and the deepest pockets. I'd also suggest making it mandatory that the donations be anonymous.

Develop a website and post the minimum requirements to be considered for the prize. The Nobel Prize is awarded in several different areas since it is often difficult to quantify contributions across different fields so Bitcoin Philanthropist Awards might be given to the leaders in Cryptography, Economics, Humanitarian Works, etc.

I believe first we must make an invention that can acquire enough bitcoin for a prize.

FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 06:51:28 PM

Would anyone be interested in starting a "Church of Development". Where "god" is "the future", and we worship by making it better. Basically just a developmental coin charity that religiously works towards the future.

I am a certified minister and I will work to get non-profit status in my state, but here is the base for the organization, I already have 200 members:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=213405.0

If anyone wants to get married or exercise demons, I can legally do the ceremony Smiley

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 04:27:23 AM

Would anyone be interested in starting a "Church of Development". Where "god" is "the future", and we worship by making it better. Basically just a developmental coin charity that religiously works towards the future.

I am a certified minister and I will work to get non-profit status in my state, but here is the base for the organization, I already have 200 members:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=213405.0

If anyone wants to get married or exercise demons, I can legally do the ceremony Smiley

I would like to be exorcised of a very insidious demon, who goes by the initials USD. 

raze

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 04:05:55 AM

Would you be able to exorcise my procrastination demon? It's got a very good hold of me right now.

BTC --16FPbgyUZdTm1voAfi26VZ3RH7apTFGaPm
LTC -- Lhd3gmj84BWqx7kQgqUA7gyoogsLeJbCXb
PPC -- PRpKGjgjNLFv8eR7VVv7jBaP8aexDFqk4C
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 04:06:55 AM

Would you be able to exorcise my procrastination demon? It's got a very good hold of me right now.

I'm not sure. I could spray some water on you and see if it helps.

Zaih

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 04:40:14 AM

Great idea, the more people get into their heads that Bitcoin is not only for drugs & gambling & bubbles, the better. We need to start being more productive, and no way better to enforce this than through the means of incentive. Cheesy
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 04:52:48 AM

Great idea, the more people get into their heads that Bitcoin is not only for drugs & gambling & bubbles, the better. We need to start being more productive, and no way better to enforce this than through the means of incentive. Cheesy

True Smiley

raze

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 06:53:38 AM

Drugs

Bubbles

I see no problem here Smiley

BTC --16FPbgyUZdTm1voAfi26VZ3RH7apTFGaPm
LTC -- Lhd3gmj84BWqx7kQgqUA7gyoogsLeJbCXb
PPC -- PRpKGjgjNLFv8eR7VVv7jBaP8aexDFqk4C
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 04:53:09 PM

Lol.

bitzox

Activity: 172

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 08:14:01 PM

In dynamite, the active ingredient is nitroglycerin, a colourless, oily liquid that goes boom if you sneeze on it. Since this is an undesirable property to have in an explosive if you want the people using it to stay alive, it is mixed with other ingredients to make dynamite (and similar explosives). These ingredients are usually completely inert and serve no other purpose than to prevent the nitroglycerin from exploding when you don't want it to.

TNT, or trinitrotoluene, is a different chemical entirely. It is a yellow solid material which is very insensitive to shock, and therefore can be safely used in its pure form. It is significantly less powerful than dynamite and does not resemble dynamite in any way.

I always thought they were the same thing....DAMN YOU AC/DC!!!

18QpV8ZF3Y4oK8guDQiwTAK73W9r5nvBtm
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: