Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:50:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for WordPress plugin (or someone to write one)  (Read 5619 times)
enmaku (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:15:32 AM

After Adam B Levine's lovely talk at Bitcoin 2013 I was discussing some ideas with him on taking the concept beyond YouTube and an idea came about that I love but frankly do not have the time to build from scratch so I'm hoping there's either already something like it that I can modify or that someone out there has already put in the time to learn how to write wordpress plugins that I can just beg or hire or whatever.

The basis of the idea is this: Individual Bitcoin donation/tip addresses for each piece of content with user feedback and back-end tracking. I'm thinking something like http://coinwidget.com/ on each post but instead of configuring, copying and pasting each and every time simply have a plugin add an address field to each post. Additionally, I'd like the ability to view internal reports from within WordPress, maybe even a dashboard widget on aggregated donations and top-performing content, maybe even the ability to publicly post a "top content" page or select a featured/sticky post automatically based on some kind of donation criteria.

Really, though, those are all nice extras I wouldn't mind having, simply the ability to paste in an address is the baseline requirement and if someone knows of another plugin with similar functionality that I could just modify that will do for now.

On the other hand, if someone wants to write me up a quote for full functionality or if others like the idea and want to start a bounty with me, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea either. Regardless of how we get to the final result, though, I intend to open source whatever I get so the community can make full use of it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
torba

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 03:48:31 AM

The most complex part of your idea is the statistics, you would need to deal a fair amount with SQL.
Else I could finish you maybe a basic plugin that allowed flawless donation (using coinbase) for $30 over a weekend.
mindtomatter

Activity: 434
Merit: 254

Editor-in-Chief of Let's Talk Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 03:52:30 AM

For those not familiar, you can find my talk here from Bitcoin 2013 in San Jose
"Youtube is Broken - Rethinking Content Monetization with Bitcoin"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4tgNi5gle0

Let's Talk Bitcoin! Interviews, News & Analysis released Tuesdays and Saturdays
http://www.LetsTalkBitcoin.com - Listener Mail -> adam@letstalkbitcoin.com
enmaku (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 04:07:24 AM

The most complex part of your idea is the statistics, you would need to deal a fair amount with SQL.
Else I could finish you maybe a basic plugin that allowed flawless donation (using coinbase) for $30 over a weekend.

You caught the part where the donation address on each post is different, yes? I can do my own analytics on the back-end but it's important that the addresses be distinct to each piece of content.

For those not familiar, you can find my talk here from Bitcoin 2013 in San Jose
"Youtube is Broken - Rethinking Content Monetization with Bitcoin"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4tgNi5gle0

Thanks Adam, I meant to plug the video but forgot Smiley
enmaku (OP)

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 04:14:06 AM

Also, how much would you want for the entire plugin as described?
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 07:31:23 PM

After Adam B Levine's lovely talk at Bitcoin 2013 I was discussing some ideas with him on taking the concept beyond YouTube and an idea came about that I love but frankly do not have the time to build from scratch so I'm hoping there's either already something like it that I can modify or that someone out there has already put in the time to learn how to write wordpress plugins that I can just beg or hire or whatever.

The basis of the idea is this: Individual Bitcoin donation/tip addresses for each piece of content with user feedback and back-end tracking. I'm thinking something like http://coinwidget.com/ on each post but instead of configuring, copying and pasting each and every time simply have a plugin add an address field to each post. Additionally, I'd like the ability to view internal reports from within WordPress, maybe even a dashboard widget on aggregated donations and top-performing content, maybe even the ability to publicly post a "top content" page or select a featured/sticky post automatically based on some kind of donation criteria.

Really, though, those are all nice extras I wouldn't mind having, simply the ability to paste in an address is the baseline requirement and if someone knows of another plugin with similar functionality that I could just modify that will do for now.

On the other hand, if someone wants to write me up a quote for full functionality or if others like the idea and want to start a bounty with me, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea either. Regardless of how we get to the final result, though, I intend to open source whatever I get so the community can make full use of it.

Hi David,

We didn't "officially" meet but I also spoke to Adam very briefly after his presentation and I saw you at several others. I'm a big fan of wordpress and I'd be happy to contribute to a bounty for this.

As you said, a plugin that adds a BTC address field to each post/page and then populated a widget like coinwidget below the post would be great. I wouldn't mind tracking the stats myself if including that functionality requires a lot of work.

Still around.
mindtomatter

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 08:48:11 PM

Hey Edd, it was good to meet you Smiley

edd
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 09:19:22 PM

Hey Edd, it was good to meet you Smiley

Likewise, Adam!

Still around.
enmaku (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 01:02:21 AM

Hi David,

We didn't "officially" meet but I also spoke to Adam very briefly after his presentation and I saw you at several others. I'm a big fan of wordpress and I'd be happy to contribute to a bounty for this.

As you said, a plugin that adds a BTC address field to each post/page and then populated a widget like coinwidget below the post would be great. I wouldn't mind tracking the stats myself if including that functionality requires a lot of work.

I don't think it would require that much extra work, but then I've never written for WordPress before - that's why I'm wanting to hire this out, in addition to my notable lack of time.

I also wouldn't mind tracking the stats myself, but one of the ideas I loved most about this stemmed from that stat-tracking: a "top content" page that's sorted by the # of donations. Once you've got those stats in WordPress it can be extended to so many things. Want to make the most donated-to page in the last 2 weeks sticky at the top of the site? Want to make a "best of" page with the top donated content ever? Want to have a "what's hot" page with the top 10 pages in the last 30 days by donation? All easy once you've got the data.
mindtomatter

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 02:48:44 AM

See now I didn't even get that far David Smiley I just wanted to know myself!

Terk

Activity: 616
Merit: 522

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 06:25:40 AM

I hate Wordpress development as its architecture is so wrong, but I loved the idea so much that I actually learnt writing Wordpress plugins overnight.

This is a result of my all-night work and this is a working plugin that does what enmaku described: http://terk.co/wordpress-bitcoin-tips-plugin/

The plugin is in very beta, but it's already working and you can download it and install on your blog. It is of course open source (the MIT License). There is still a lot of things to do and you will find a list of issues in the above blog post. Feel free to send me feedback and suggest ideas. I'm not publishing it into the Wordpress Plugin Directory yet and I don't announce it in a separate post here until it's more complete/mature.

I'd appreciate tips/mentioned bounties if you like this plugin and would like to support my further work on it (the plugin is already working, but all the little details will be much more time consuming than the first working prototype). Thanks!

mindtomatter

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 06:28:39 AM

Really f'ing cool Terk, great work.   I didn't even think about automating the address creation, I do it manually each time.

enmaku (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 07:10:06 AM

That's absolutely brilliant. I will be testing this out first thing tomorrow on a dev system and picking through the code to see where I can possibly help. I'm very excited to see this become a reality and you can bet once I verify functionality and finish doing a happy dance there will be a tip/bounty heading your way.

This is one of the things I love most about this community: if the idea is good enough someone will just do it.
mindtomatter

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 07:11:48 AM

I'll kick in .2 for the bounty even though I don't use Wordpress Wink

enmaku (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 07:26:37 AM

I'll kick in .2 for the bounty even though I don't use Wordpress Wink

Way cool of you. Every penny we can get to guys who see a good idea and just make it happen is a penny well spent.

Edit: Didn't realize that was my 1,000th post - it still came out as a pretty awesome 1,000th post though.
Terk

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 12:01:41 PM

Great, let me know what do you think after you try it. I hope to find time to push it a little bit further during the weekend so that maybe It'll be ready for a public announcement early next week (and for submission into the WordPress Plugin Directory).

edd
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 03:12:31 PM

That's absolutely brilliant. I will be testing this out first thing tomorrow on a dev system and picking through the code to see where I can possibly help. I'm very excited to see this become a reality and you can bet once I verify functionality and finish doing a happy dance there will be a tip/bounty heading your way.

This is one of the things I love most about this community: if the idea is good enough someone will just do it.

Ditto.

0.25 BTC already tipped and I'll be happy to send more once new features are added.

Still around.
enmaku (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 08:16:02 PM

0.2 BTC tipped (because that's all I had in my phone wallet here at work) and more on the way as new features are developed. I like that you used wp_postmeta to store the addresses, that should make it easy to extend the functionality in the future.
Terk

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 08:23:57 PM

Thank both of you!

Yup, I figured that I should use as much standard Wordpress features as possible and not reinvent the wheel. wp_postmeta seems perfect for storing post addresses.

I think I'll create a new data structure for storing info about collected tips, so that it would be easily sortable/filterable by time, easy to make sums, averages, etc. Meta data won't give much flexibility here.

enmaku (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 04:46:43 AM

Thank both of you!

Yup, I figured that I should use as much standard Wordpress features as possible and not reinvent the wheel. wp_postmeta seems perfect for storing post addresses.

I think I'll create a new data structure for storing info about collected tips, so that it would be easily sortable/filterable by time, easy to make sums, averages, etc. Meta data won't give much flexibility here.

Assuming you already know the blockchain API it shouldn't be too hard to pull the # and btc amount of tips and add those to wp_postmeta too, right? Toss something like that in wpcron? This is all coming together so much faster and easier than I thought it would  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: