Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 10:38:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] 2BTC Reward to get ASICMiner Blades >12 GH/s on stratum  (Read 7573 times)
ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1828
Merit: 2793

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2013, 09:59:07 PM
Last edit: May 24, 2013, 12:07:57 AM by ibminer

if disabling the wifi somehow gets the connection to work, IP connectivity shouldn't have anything to do with it and it shouldn't have anything to do with DNS/IPs/Gateways/port forwarding/etc... and the fact that some of the hashrate gets registered using ethernet, it means the ip connectivity exists enough to transmit information to the pool, which means the ports/gateways/etc all should be fine. Unless I am not understanding the steps you took to troubleshoot this... I would assume its about the wifi either interfering with the frequency that the chips or some other part of the machine runs at... or that there are so many wireless devices that the CTS setting is required to avoid collisions, but I honestly have never seen this setting do much in other networks... could work for you though!  Grin

If it is a verizon router, you should have access to the cts setting (or you should, I know I see it on mine...) after going to 'wireless settings' at the top, go to 'advanced security settings' on the left, and then at the bottom click 'other advanced wireless options'

This gets you access to the transmit power/cts setting/etc... but its possible you have an older firmware or an older UI on your router... teamviewer might be best to troubleshoot this. (in which case, try updating the firmware under the 'advanced' menu)

Although, again, I would think getting the same exact model router as the other guy would fix the situation (if the issues are identical)

EDIT:  There is also a 'Wireless QOS' area that you could mess with as well... not sure if you modified the main QOS settings, or the wireless QOS settings, but on my verizon router they are separate.    (*The Wireless QOS settings are off of the same page with the CTS setting - at the bottom under the "WMM settings" link)

EDIT #2: (now that I have access to my verizon router - screenshot http://postimg.org/image/mjo7ac291/)

EDIT #3: modified due to my misunderstanding of the initial setup  Tongue

cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
May 23, 2013, 10:54:56 PM

As I read it his blades are all wired to a switch which is wired to the router.  The wireless is just for his non-mining wireless devices, right?  What does it say on your router info page that lists all attached devices and their ip addresses?

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
ibminer
Legendary

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 12:15:16 AM

As I read it his blades are all wired to a switch which is wired to the router.  The wireless is just for his non-mining wireless devices, right?  What does it say on your router info page that lists all attached devices and their ip addresses?

I believe you are reading it correctly, I actually sent a PM earlier after my post to re-clarify this, because I am pretty sure I  misinterpreted the initial setup.  Tongue  The previous post still makes sense to me with a few word changes... and a strikethrough on the frequency comment, because I am not really sure this would be as much of an issue if the blades are wired to the switch (and are 100ft from the router)...

Understanding the setup now, I'd focus on the settings/config of the router... you've probably tried all of this, but changing the security type (switching to legacy mode, compatibility mode), disabling wep/wpa security entirely, disabling the Wireless QOS settings, etc... it sounds like you went through most of the wireless settings already. Can you provide the model # of the router that the other guy used?  there may be an obvious feature of that router that might shed some more light.

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 12:42:16 AM

If I was you, I'd want to confirm 100% its not the blade. Take it to work, take it to a friend, hell take it to Starbucks. Just see if you can get 13 GH on another network. If you can, its your network and that's where we look.

If not, its back to friedcat as I already checked everything else for you.

dentldir

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 01:14:17 AM

Have you tried solo mining locally with wireless on?  Might help further isolate the issue.

1DentLdiRMv3dpmpmqWsQev8BUaty9vN3v
drlatino999

Activity: 335
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 03:49:33 AM

If I was you, I'd want to confirm 100% its not the blade. Take it to work, take it to a friend, hell take it to Starbucks. Just see if you can get 13 GH on another network. If you can, its your network and that's where we look.

If not, its back to friedcat as I already checked everything else for you.

Having similar problems as the OP, I'm going to attempt this this weekend.

Sappers clear the way
wrenchmonkey

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 04:04:31 AM

Also, try upgrading firmware on router.

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 05:02:54 AM

Try turning it on and off

Sorry -- couldn't resist

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
nave (OP)
Donator

Activity: 162

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 06:30:34 AM

if disabling the wifi somehow gets the connection to work, IP connectivity shouldn't have anything to do with it and it shouldn't have anything to do with DNS/IPs/Gateways/port forwarding/etc... and the fact that some of the hashrate gets registered using ethernet, it means the ip connectivity exists enough to transmit information to the pool, which means the ports/gateways/etc all should be fine.

This is pretty much my assumption as well.

If it is a verizon router, you should have access to the cts setting (or you should, I know I see it on mine...) after going to 'wireless settings' at the top, go to 'advanced security settings' on the left, and then at the bottom click 'other advanced wireless options'

This gets you access to the transmit power/cts setting/etc... but its possible you have an older firmware or an older UI on your router... teamviewer might be best to troubleshoot this. (in which case, try updating the firmware under the 'advanced' menu)

Although, again, I would think getting the same exact model router as the other guy would fix the situation (if the issues are identical)

EDIT:  There is also a 'Wireless QOS' area that you could mess with as well... not sure if you modified the main QOS settings, or the wireless QOS settings, but on my verizon router they are separate.    (*The Wireless QOS settings are off of the same page with the CTS setting - at the bottom under the "WMM settings" link)

EDIT #2: (now that I have access to my verizon router - screenshot http://postimg.org/image/mjo7ac291/)

EDIT #3: modified due to my misunderstanding of the initial setup  Tongue

I appreciate the screenshot, I'm not sure how but I missed the 'other advanced wireless options' link at the bottom of that page until now. Seems like a strange place to put it based on how the rest of the UI is laid out. Unfortunately CTS (both cts-only and rts-cts) mode didn't make a difference. I tried lowering the RTS threshold in conjunction with this also without success.

I previously modified the main QOS page, which had a section for wireless. I don't see a wirless QOS section on the page with the CTS settings. I promise I looked thoroughly this time Smiley

As I read it his blades are all wired to a switch which is wired to the router.  The wireless is just for his non-mining wireless devices, right?  What does it say on your router info page that lists all attached devices and their ip addresses?

This is correct. I have a few roommates who's PCs connect wirelessly, as well as cell phones, tablets, etc.

Firmware is up to date.

Haha, thanks for the laugh.

I ordered the other router, and had it shipped overnight so it'll be here today, the 24th, and hopefully that works around the issue and gets the blades up and running. Thanks for all the suggestions and input so far.
greaterninja

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 06:31:20 AM

If you are using wifi for connectivity to blades and network.  Its very likely that you blades are getting interference from other wifi networks.   This will especially happen if you live in an apartment complex.

I suggest try using channel 1, 6, or 11  (assuming its 2.4ghz).  

If you have 5ghz spectrum use the first available channels.

5ghz channel has 20 non overlapping channels and will thus have less interference.

2.4ghz has only 3 non overlapping channels, and 150-300mbit/sec 2.4ghz n radios will use 2/3 of the spectrum alone.

It sounds like your options are:
 a.  use 802.11  5ghz spectrum
b.  get different antennas on your blades
c.  move your blades elsewhere
d.  run ethernet
e.  run power line ethernet

I'm not totally sure why you are using getwork on a blade as I don't own one.  But I guess its necessary to use it for the blade and then you use a stratum proxy to reduce your outside network bandwidth to the internet?

How fast is your verizon internet upload and download speeds?   what is its milliseconds in latency / ping time?
nave (OP)
Donator

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 06:39:15 AM

If you are using wifi for connectivity to blades and network.  Its very likely that you blades are getting interference from other wifi networks.   This will especially happen if you live in an apartment complex.

I suggest try using channel 1, 6, or 11  (assuming its 2.4ghz).  

If you have 5ghz spectrum use the first available channels.

5ghz channel has 20 non overlapping channels and will thus have less interference.

2.4ghz has only 3 non overlapping channels, and 150-300mbit/sec 2.4ghz n radios will use 2/3 of the spectrum alone.

It sounds like your options are:
 a.  use 802.11  5ghz spectrum
b.  get different antennas on your blades
c.  move your blades elsewhere
d.  run ethernet
e.  run power line ethernet

I'm not totally sure why you are using getwork on a blade as I don't own one.  But I guess its necessary to use it for the blade and then you use a stratum proxy to reduce your outside network bandwidth to the internet?

I've tried all wifi channels 1-11 with no change. The verizon router I have is b/g only, no n. The blades aren't hooked up wirelessly, they're connected via ethernet to a switch that connects via ethernet to the router. I'm using getwork because the ASICminer blades are only capable of getwork protocol directly. To get the most efficient use out of them you can use a stratum proxy to connect to a stratum enabled server and provide work to the blades.

I live in a house with a fairly large yard, no other wifi networks in range.

Can you provide the model # of the router that the other guy used?  there may be an obvious feature of that router that might shed some more light.

It was from this post:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=208212.0

To get around it, I had an old linksys wrt150n lying around with dd-wrt v24 firmware.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 06:55:13 AM

Wait.... do you think there is a max clients limitation somewhere? Too many phones connecting which is disrupting DCHP or other?

nave (OP)
Donator

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 07:03:58 AM

Wait.... do you think there is a max clients limitation somewhere? Too many phones connecting which is disrupting DCHP or other?

I've been reading about these routers and apparently they have a very small NAT table, which causes issues for people with many devices. However since restarting the router should clear the NAT table, and restarting the router doesn't make a difference with my problem, I ruled it out. Right now there's only 2 connected wireless devices, the two blades, and two PCs connected via ethernet, and there is no change in the problem with the blades.
ibminer
Legendary

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 09:36:30 AM
Last edit: May 24, 2013, 09:59:27 AM by ibminer

I appreciate the screenshot, I'm not sure how but I missed the 'other advanced wireless options' link at the bottom of that page until now. Seems like a strange place to put it based on how the rest of the UI is laid out. Unfortunately CTS (both cts-only and rts-cts) mode didn't make a difference. I tried lowering the RTS threshold in conjunction with this also without success.

I previously modified the main QOS page, which had a section for wireless. I don't see a wirless QOS section on the page with the CTS settings. I promise I looked thoroughly this time Smiley

It is not really called 'wireless qos' on that page, but is under a link called 'WMM Settings' at the bottom... the link is also in the screenshot I posted, its just a text link at the bottom of the page... the verizon interface is definitely a little convoluted!  Might just be something that is available on my verizon router but worth checking again if you were looking for a 'wireless qos section'  Roll Eyes

Hopefully the other router will be the quickest solution at this point!  

EDIT:  The model router I am looking at is a MI424WR-GEN2   (which has the WMM settings link)

TObject

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 02:44:05 PM

Since wireless routers are cheap, just get another router or access point for your wireless needs, and turn the wireless off on that Verizon POS.
scyth3

Activity: 490
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 03:16:49 PM

Check the heatsink on the blade. Re-apply thermal paste if needed. Cool front and back of blade with fans.
wrenchmonkey

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 04:52:31 PM

Check the heatsink on the blade. Re-apply thermal paste if needed. Cool front and back of blade with fans.

And this has WHAT to do with this guy's problem? Did you read his problem description? The issue is only replicated when he turns on the wireless radio on his router. Nothing to do with cooling. Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
greaterninja

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 24, 2013, 05:04:51 PM

Since wireless routers are cheap, just get another router or access point for your wireless needs, and turn the wireless off on that Verizon POS.

i would go this course of action suggested.  buy a $15 router on craigslist or I can sell you a really nice one for like $40 in btc that does 2.4ghz and 5ghz
ibminer
Legendary

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 05:05:32 PM

Not sure some of the recent posts have been reading the entire thread  Grin

EDIT: ( at least, I hope this is the case... Shocked )

ibminer
Legendary

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2013, 05:07:02 PM

i would go this course of action suggested.  buy a $15 router on craigslist or I can sell you a really nice one for like $40 in btc that does 2.4ghz and 5ghz

This has already been recommended... and this has already been tried. In the OP he said he already tried a different router and it didn't work. I had suggested to get the 'exact' model of the other user who had the same issue, then disable the wifi on the verizon router... he ordered the router and it should arrive today. (hopefully it works and this thread can be done with and we can all focus on bigger and better things  Cheesy)

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: