Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:03:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] 2BTC Reward to get ASICMiner Blades >12 GH/s on stratum  (Read 7573 times)
kibblesnbits

Activity: 557
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 12:19:29 AM

I'll throw in my static. 

No stratum proxy on a wireless connection.  I tried with a stratum proxy laptop connected on wireless and it failed constantly with two blades.  I connected the same laptop directly with a network cable and it sprang to life.  Good luck.

ASICMINERTUBE

The Best $/Gh Bitcoin Miner So Far
   ►►►   DISCOVER NOW !!!   ◄◄◄

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nave (OP)
Donator

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 01:36:09 AM

Hi.
You said that you have static ip's on the blades, right?
And the rest of the network? The other computers and etc.
It may be that another device that is connected to the wifi is using the same ip as the blades.
Check all the ip's on the entire network. If you have some device that is using dynamic ip, change to static as well.
Hope it helps you.

I've checked multiple times, it's not an IP conflict.

Have you went down the vlan path yet?...

Some other ideas - have you tried running a constant ping (from the proxy system) on the pool's IP while you attempt to mine with the blades... to see if any packet loss or increased latency is being caused?   Its just odd that some of the hashing gets through and some doesn't... this seems to indicate some type of packet loss or for some reason the verizon router is dropping some of the communication when the wifi is enabled. There is a chance that the communication between the switch and the proxy is having issues, but I believe you have already eliminated this by hooking the blade directly to the router and it wouldn't explain why enabling the wifi on the router causes the issue. (sorry, thinking 'out loud')

I'd also run a constant ping on some of the other machines to see what happens when the wifi is enabled, and if it effects the pings at all.

I totally agree. I've also seen where a particular wireless device has had a corrupted firmware that would essentially DDOS the system, because it would keep sending the all TCP tx request packets, even after getting an answer. It was weird, almost like a memory leak, it would accumulate requests, and just keep sending them ALL. It would start out causing moderate collisions, and then with much use at all, the whole thing would snowball, and bring the whole network down HARD (even though everything still APPEARED functional). The wireless device would still function on the network (to a point) but it completely fucked network traffic for everything else. Every time the user would turn on his laptop, it would kill his roommates' xbox live connectivity, and they all wanted to kill him badly enough that they paid me to come figure out WTF was going on. Cheesy Firmware update for his wireless card (and one for their router, just for good measure), and a reinstall of the driver, fixed everything up quite nicely, and I never got another call over that issue.

Hence the suggestion to update firmware on the router and all devices, but I guess he took it as a joke... Meh.

I didn't take it as a joke. All firmware is up to date. I don't think it's a problem like you described because all other devices work perfectly with no degrading performance. I'm going to disable all the wireless devices, re-add them one by one again and see if it could be an individual device. Then I'm going to try the vlans.

I've also constantly pinged the blades, there's no change in the ping with wireless on or off, the connection to them is solid.
wrenchmonkey

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 01:58:57 AM

I'm guessing the different router didn't solve the issue?  Undecided

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1821
Merit: 2792

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 02:29:15 AM

I've also constantly pinged the blades, there's no change in the ping with wireless on or off, the connection to them is solid.

I am more interested in pinging something on the 'outside world'... as opposed to something internal in your network.  More interested in whether pinging to an external IP (like a pool) has any latency or packet loss after enabling the wifi... to determine if there are any rogue wireless devices that may be eating up the bandwidth on your internet connection, not necessarily hurting your internal communication to the blades.

nave (OP)
Donator

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 08:18:27 AM

I totally agree. I've also seen where a particular wireless device has had a corrupted firmware that would essentially DDOS the system, because it would keep sending the all TCP tx request packets, even after getting an answer. It was weird, almost like a memory leak, it would accumulate requests, and just keep sending them ALL. It would start out causing moderate collisions, and then with much use at all, the whole thing would snowball, and bring the whole network down HARD (even though everything still APPEARED functional). The wireless device would still function on the network (to a point) but it completely fucked network traffic for everything else. Every time the user would turn on his laptop, it would kill his roommates' xbox live connectivity, and they all wanted to kill him badly enough that they paid me to come figure out WTF was going on. Cheesy Firmware update for his wireless card (and one for their router, just for good measure), and a reinstall of the driver, fixed everything up quite nicely, and I never got another call over that issue.

Hence the suggestion to update firmware on the router and all devices, but I guess he took it as a joke... Meh.

I've never seen this before, and I've done my fair share of networking. This was the answer. One android phone, when connected to the wireless network, would cause (within 2-3 minutes of connecting) the hash rate to drop to 3-4GH/s and the connection to the stratum proxy to fail. It's an HTC Evo. My phone, actually, which just hurts my pride that much more. The blades are now hashing happily at >12GH/s via the stratum proxy with the wireless on.

Looking back on everything I suddenly feel like this experience was one of those well written detective novels where at the end of the book you suddenly realized you had all the information you needed to solve it from the second chapter. I just moved into this house with several of my friends several months ago. We play Civ 5 over LAN often, and periodically (between 2-5 hours of playing) the game would disconnect for someone or another. I've just always attributed it to poor LAN performance with Civ 5. About a month ago I left for a week (taking my phone with me) and when I came back my friends said they played Civ 5 with no disconnects whatsoever, humorously blaming me for all the connection issues. How right they were. When I'd leave the house and have the blades pointed to a getwork pool, the hash rate would always be at the higher end of the range I mentioned with the initial problem. Anyway, thanks for all the help that everyone has provided.

Wrenchmonkey, let me know what address you want your 2BTC sent to.

ibminer let me know your address too, I'd like to send you 1BTC for all your helpful suggestions.

Oh, and Wrenchmonkey, my 'thanks for the laugh' wasn't supposed to be in response to your quote of checking the firmware, it was supposed to be in response to the person who said to turn it off and turn it back on again. I guess I just fail at quoting. Thanks again!
ibminer
Legendary

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 11:47:57 AM

I've never seen this before, and I've done my fair share of networking. This was the answer. One android phone, when connected to the wireless network, would cause (within 2-3 minutes of connecting) the hash rate to drop to 3-4GH/s and the connection to the stratum proxy to fail. It's an HTC Evo. My phone, actually, which just hurts my pride that much more. The blades are now hashing happily at >12GH/s via the stratum proxy with the wireless on.

Looking back on everything I suddenly feel like this experience was one of those well written detective novels where at the end of the book you suddenly realized you had all the information you needed to solve it from the second chapter. I just moved into this house with several of my friends several months ago. We play Civ 5 over LAN often, and periodically (between 2-5 hours of playing) the game would disconnect for someone or another. I've just always attributed it to poor LAN performance with Civ 5. About a month ago I left for a week (taking my phone with me) and when I came back my friends said they played Civ 5 with no disconnects whatsoever, humorously blaming me for all the connection issues. How right they were. When I'd leave the house and have the blades pointed to a getwork pool, the hash rate would always be at the higher end of the range I mentioned with the initial problem. Anyway, thanks for all the help that everyone has provided.

ibminer let me know your address too, I'd like to send you 1BTC for all your helpful suggestions.

Oh, and Wrenchmonkey, my 'thanks for the laugh' wasn't supposed to be in response to your quote of checking the firmware, it was supposed to be in response to the person who said to turn it off and turn it back on again. I guess I just fail at quoting. Thanks again!

Good catch Wrenchmonkey!

Thanks Nave, honestly at some point I had eliminated this possibility in my head... after the post about you leaving only 2 wifi devices connected, bad assumption on my part  Cheesy ... it was obviously one of those 2 left wifi devices!  started revisiting the idea with the the pings to see if something was bringing down the connection... was fun troubleshooting though!  Cool

Thanks for the 1btc, I do appreciate it!  Newer to the scene here, so I was happy to see a situation where I might actually be helpful... and I obviously can use the coin!   glad you were able to get it working, thanks again!   Happy hashing!

13xU5WzT8wCDBKS71G23EwE93YiNNWCLgD

AniceInovation
Donator

Activity: 446
Merit: 262

Interesting.

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 04:04:27 PM

I have to ask - how did you solve the problem? Stopped connecting the phone to the network, updated the phone, updated the router?
I think i might have a similar problem with my OG Droid...
Azrael_PT

Activity: 190

Par Pari Refertur

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 05:08:56 PM

What rom do you use in your phone? Stock or custom? Do you have root applied?
Which HTC EVO do you have? 3D, 4G, Shift, View

Donations: 16WPtSGFtj7wH2TxQi5tZfdxtAG84zPVwD
CEX.IO
nave (OP)
Donator

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 06:35:01 PM

I have to ask - how did you solve the problem? Stopped connecting the phone to the network, updated the phone, updated the router?
I think i might have a similar problem with my OG Droid...

As of right now I just blocked the phone's MAC address from connecting to the router, but I'm going to unroot it and get the latest stock updates and see if that fixes the problem. The router is up to date on everything, and the same thing happened with two different routers and one different wireless access point, so it's a problem with the phone, not the router/network.

What rom do you use in your phone? Stock or custom? Do you have root applied?
Which HTC EVO do you have? 3D, 4G, Shift, View

It's a 4G running FreshEvo 4.3.3. The rom hasn't been updated in a long time, but I haven't had any (noticeable) problems with it before this so I haven't bothered finding a new rom that is still being updated for it. I'll probably just return to stock for now as I don't plan on keeping this phone a whole lot longer anyway.

Good catch Wrenchmonkey!

Thanks Nave, honestly at some point I had eliminated this possibility in my head... after the post about you leaving only 2 wifi devices connected, bad assumption on my part  Cheesy ... it was obviously one of those 2 left wifi devices!  started revisiting the idea with the the pings to see if something was bringing down the connection... was fun troubleshooting though!  Cool

Thanks for the 1btc, I do appreciate it!  Newer to the scene here, so I was happy to see a situation where I might actually be helpful... and I obviously can use the coin!   glad you were able to get it working, thanks again!   Happy hashing!

13xU5WzT8wCDBKS71G23EwE93YiNNWCLgD

Yeah, I eliminated it too, like I said I really didn't think any one device could screw up something completely unrelated like this. Your bitcoin's been sent. Thanks again!
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 06:54:41 PM

Glad you figured it out.  I was going to suggest turning all your wireless devices off and then on one at a time, but couldn't figure out why that would have an effect.  Weird bug!

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Azrael_PT

Activity: 190

Par Pari Refertur

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 07:47:03 PM

It's a 4G running FreshEvo 4.3.3. The rom hasn't been updated in a long time, but I haven't had any (noticeable) problems with it before this so I haven't bothered finding a new rom that is still being updated for it. I'll probably just return to stock for now as I don't plan on keeping this phone a whole lot longer anyway.

Do you use any network programs on your phone?
It may be a program that you use or some that you don't know you have on the phone that is causing that.
Like wifikill and others.

Do you use alternative markets?
Be careful with the apps you install from alternative markets, it may be modified.

Donations: 16WPtSGFtj7wH2TxQi5tZfdxtAG84zPVwD
CEX.IO
wrenchmonkey

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 07:47:30 PM

Woot. Glad you got it fixed! And of course, earning the bounty doesn't hurt my enthusiasm. Grin

I had a rooted EVO 4G running the CyanogenMod7 Rom, and never had any network issues. But installing a factory ROM will get you the latest firmware for all the radios.

My Bitcoin address is: 18MVeUPJ3QsRoDfCXTCZsJi9tQAhdunN1D

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

greaterninja

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 08:21:23 PM

most likely its not gonna be the network adapter's firmware its gonna be the hardware of the  network adapters or interference from devices in the network or the frequency they run / use.

ibminer
Legendary

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 08:58:40 PM
Last edit: May 25, 2013, 10:03:59 PM by ibminer

Yeah, I eliminated it too, like I said I really didn't think any one device could screw up something completely unrelated like this. Your bitcoin's been sent. Thanks again!
Definitely an odd one... I was eventually leaning more towards a wireless laptop/desktop that had a virus and was causing heavy amounts of traffic... surprised it ended up being an android device... but for troubleshooting, I have done more with iOS devices myself as compared to android devices, but the first thing I would attempt would be closing every app on the device, to ensure it isn't an app that is causing the issue... if it is the device itself that is causing the issue (without any apps running on it), I would start looking towards firmware updates, or possibly a full reset on the phone (wipe it and start over, if it isn't a huge issue...)

Thanks again Nave!

EDIT:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.antivirus&hl=en     might not be a bad idea to try AVG's app out to see if there are any viruses (to avoid resetting)... or some other antivirus app

nave (OP)
Donator

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 11:44:23 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm going to do, close all the apps and see if it works, add them back one at a time to see if I can narrow it down. I'm betting its just something weird with the phone being rooted, if I remember right this rom modified something about the wireless radio. Looking through the list of apps nothing really jumps out, I don't really have a lot of apps. I only rooted it because I didn't want the sprint nascar app on my phone. I'll update if I find a specific app causing the problem or if it was the rom/lack of stock updates once I go through the phone and figure it out.
wrenchmonkey

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:50:57 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm going to do, close all the apps and see if it works, add them back one at a time to see if I can narrow it down. I'm betting its just something weird with the phone being rooted, if I remember right this rom modified something about the wireless radio. Looking through the list of apps nothing really jumps out, I don't really have a lot of apps. I only rooted it because I didn't want the sprint nascar app on my phone. I'll update if I find a specific app causing the problem or if it was the rom/lack of stock updates once I go through the phone and figure it out.

Just following up. Did the re-flash solve your issue with your phone?

nave (OP)
Donator

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:00:32 PM

Just following up. Did the re-flash solve your issue with your phone?

I've been lazy and haven't done it yet. I have sprint and unlimited data so I've just been using the 4G at home. The blades are hasing very nicely though!
mitty

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 03:44:10 AM

I'm having the exact same problem, although unfortunately the wi-fi is shared among 3 apartments and I don't know exactly what devices are connected other than the name/mac addresses I see in the list on my router config page.  The problem is intermittent; it had been working fine for a couple weeks and then started again a few hours ago.  Unfortunately I don't know my neighbors' device usage habits and even if I found a problem device I don't have a reliable way of preventing people from connecting another problem device.  Would putting all the blades and stratum proxy behind their own NAT solve the problem?  Or getting a switch that supports VLANs?  This is definitely one of the stranger problems I've seen...
ibminer
Legendary

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 09:09:46 AM

I'm having the exact same problem, although unfortunately the wi-fi is shared among 3 apartments and I don't know exactly what devices are connected other than the name/mac addresses I see in the list on my router config page.  The problem is intermittent; it had been working fine for a couple weeks and then started again a few hours ago.  Unfortunately I don't know my neighbors' device usage habits and even if I found a problem device I don't have a reliable way of preventing people from connecting another problem device.  Would putting all the blades and stratum proxy behind their own NAT solve the problem?  Or getting a switch that supports VLANs?  This is definitely one of the stranger problems I've seen...

My blind guess is that NAT'ing probably wouldn't fix the issue... VLAN's may be your best bet, as that is probably the best way to split the traffic out, but it really should be done at the wireless router itself (if it supports vlans), not through a switch attached to the router... a switch attached to the router still has to go through the wireless router, and likely involves a more complicated setup of ensuring the 'vlan' is also setup on the router, or that the router is at least 'aware' of that network segment/VLAN before it would route any traffic from it.

Much more information would be needed in your particular situation... assuming you are not using exactly the same router with exactly the same setup?  it may be worth it for you to start a new thread to possibly get some more attention towards the issue, and provide as much information as you can about your setup, with model #s, and any troubleshooting steps you have already attempted.

mitty

Activity: 359
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 07:07:45 PM
Last edit: July 12, 2013, 08:19:58 PM by mitty

My blind guess is that NAT'ing probably wouldn't fix the issue... VLAN's may be your best bet, as that is probably the best way to split the traffic out, but it really should be done at the wireless router itself (if it supports vlans), not through a switch attached to the router... a switch attached to the router still has to go through the wireless router, and likely involves a more complicated setup of ensuring the 'vlan' is also setup on the router, or that the router is at least 'aware' of that network segment/VLAN before it would route any traffic from it.

Much more information would be needed in your particular situation... assuming you are not using exactly the same router with exactly the same setup?  it may be worth it for you to start a new thread to possibly get some more attention towards the issue, and provide as much information as you can about your setup, with model #s, and any troubleshooting steps you have already attempted.
Second Update: Just put the blades on a separate NAT... so far so good...
Update: Looks like I spoke too soon.  The problem came back, even with wireless isolation enabled. :/

As a temporary measure, I tried enabling "wireless isolation" on the router which prevents any wireless device on the network from talking to any other device on the network with the exception of the gateway to the Internet.  Sure enough, my blades started mining again.

I'm going to keep wireless isolation enabled in the meantime while I research a better solution. (I'd like wireless devices to be able to communicate with each other, my network printer, file server)
I haven't looked at specific products yet but I'll probably either replace my current router with one that has VLAN support and then place the port connecting the dumb switch with mining hardware on a separate VLAN from the rest of the network, or get a wired VLAN-capable router (probably cheaper) and use my current router simply as an AP.  (my current router has pretty nice wireless capabilities)

I never found this topic last time I had this issue so I ended up posting here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=205369.msg2458852#msg2458852

Wireless router: NETGEAR AC1750
Switch connected to router: NETGEAR GS-108
Mining room switch (connected to other switch): TRENDnet TEG-S16DG

I'd start another topic but all the evidence so far leads to this problem being the same as OP's.

Thanks so much for the info!  I never liked the idea of anyone on the network being able to access my mining hardware but I guess now there's a concrete reason to upgrade my network.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: