Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:52:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Routers keep breaking while mining etherium last about 16 hours  (Read 510 times)
jblewis85 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 03:00:24 AM

Miner 1 running ethos on etherpool ether only
Miner 2 running windows 10 claymore dual mining ether/SIA nonopool.

I have run into a problem where my routers keep breaking. My first router ( Netgear WGR614) that i have had for 5+ years lasted about a month and a half. When they fail they start getting intermitting connection on all ports. My reported hash rate doubles shares found drop way down and I find tuns of stale shares, eventually they disconnect completely.

I have burned out 3 more routers Net Gear AC 750 that have been lasting about 16 hours before they start having the intermittent connection.

If I connect one of my miners directly to the modem it works fine no problems.

One weird thing was I plugged my original router in and it worked again for about 16 hours after a few days rest. This did not work again after an hour rest. I will try again in a few days. This did not work the same for the AC750 routers.

Originally I thought it might be the network switch I have so I got another long Ethernet cord and connected both mining rigs directly to the router same problem persisted.

It does get hot during the day when they burn out maybe 80-90 room temp.

Should I buy better routers? Is it the cheap ones.
Are there some setting I can change on the router to make them not burn out?
I will try to plug one in another outlet read this could cause problem with routers.
Any thoughts on what is going on? Thanks

Both pools below if you want to see how they start behaving
https://eth.nanopool.org/account/0xe92a32c5b0f9305c7ccc0d30efa00ca0607d9b4d
https://ethermine.org/miners/e92a32C5B0F9305c7CCC0d30efa00cA0607D9b4D

Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
P00P135

Activity: 1123
Merit: 136

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 03:02:46 AM

Maybe its your modem breaking routers?  Tongue
bgdmxd

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

Veritas Mining - Sustainable Crypto Mining

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 05:42:23 AM

My old Linksys WRT54G broke down recently after I restarted some casual mining. I bought an "open box" Asus TM-AC1900 from Tanga and so far so good. They have this router in stock once in a while as either open box or refurbished, for about $50. Shipping is very slow though.

puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
September 01, 2017, 05:47:58 AM

Maybe the temps in the room are too high for it?  Can you move the router outside of the room that heats up to 90 degrees?

Consumer level wifi routers can get pretty hot themselves from the radios, and aren't built for with good cooling in mind.
jblewis85 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 02:32:31 PM

So I have been trying to figure this out and i have narrowed it down a little. Even though new routers will work with both rigs for around 16 hours before they connection becomes choppy. The routes dont actually seem to be breaking, they just stop working with the Linux rig. They work fine with the windows 10 rig and my normal computer running windows 7.

As soon as i plug the linux rig in they internet becomes choppy.
I have tried this system with just 3 video card same problem persists.
used different Ethernet cords.

Replaced the Modem:Did not fix the problem.

Any thoughts on what i should fix on the rig to resolve this problem? maybe get another NIC ....?
puwaha

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 08:43:50 PM

So I have been trying to figure this out and i have narrowed it down a little. Even though new routers will work with both rigs for around 16 hours before they connection becomes choppy. The routes dont actually seem to be breaking, they just stop working with the Linux rig. They work fine with the windows 10 rig and my normal computer running windows 7.

As soon as i plug the linux rig in they internet becomes choppy.
I have tried this system with just 3 video card same problem persists.
used different Ethernet cords.

Replaced the Modem:Did not fix the problem.

Any thoughts on what i should fix on the rig to resolve this problem? maybe get another NIC ....?

Do you have a wifi card, or USB adapter you can try on the linux rig?  If it's stable using wifi then there may be an issue with the NIC or ethernet cable you were using.
brownfly

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 01:31:18 AM

Mining rig does not produce significant traffic. You can try torrent as a stress test for your router Wink

Bitcointalk ANNS channel: https://t.me/bitcointalkanns
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: