Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:54:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Feature request: monitorreceivedby  (Read 9790 times)
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2164

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2010, 07:18:15 PM
Last edit: July 02, 2010, 02:15:01 PM by gavinandresen

I want to write an application that does stuff whenever bitcoins are sent to a particular Bitcoin address.

Actually, that feature would be useful for the Bitcoin Faucet (it could monitor the donation address and keep it's display of how many bitcoins are available more up-to-date; currently I memcache the balance and only update it every 10 minutes or so).

I want this new JSON-RPC call:

monitorreceivedbyaddress(address, nConfirmations, url)
 address:  bitcoin address to monitor
 nConfirmations: send notification after this many transaction confirmations
 url: POST detail of the transaction to this url (after nConfirmations)

I'm thinking the POST data would look like:
Code:
{"tx_id" : "...transaction id, maybe encoded into hex",
  "address" : bitcoin address being monitored
  "label" : label (if any) of the bitcoin address being monitored
  "amount" : amount being paid to address
  "confirmations" : number of confirmations
  "from" : [ "address" , "address" ]  # Sending address(es)
}

I don't think teaching the bitcoin client to do HTTP POSTs would be horribly hard; I might take a whack at implementing this myself...

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mtgox

Activity: 185
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2010, 06:55:05 PM

Yeah I agree. I posted before I saw this but it would be nice to get events. I'd like to get them all not just for addresses I ask about.
Hi it would be really nice if bitcoind could be configured hit some URL or run some shell script anytime it gets a transaction in with over a certain number of confirmations. It would be nice if it passed this script the label,address, and amount.
This would make writing any kind of payment processing much nicer. It would make it event driven rather than having to poll bitcoind all the time.

frenkel

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 09:16:55 AM

I want to write an application that does stuff whenever bitcoins are sent to a particular Bitcoin address.

Actually, that feature would be useful for the Bitcoin Faucet (it could monitor the donation address and keep it's display of how many bitcoins are available more up-to-date; currently I memcache the balance and only update it every 10 minutes or so).

I want this new JSON-RPC call:

monitorreceivedbyaddress(address, nConfirmations, url)
 address:  bitcoin address to monitor
 nConfirmations: send notification after this many transaction confirmations
 url: POST detail of the transaction to this url (after nConfirmations)

I'm thinking the POST data would look like:
Code:
{"tx_id" : "...transaction id, maybe encoded into hex",
  "address" : bitcoin address being monitored
  "label" : label (if any) of the bitcoin address being monitored
  "amount" : amount being paid to address
  "confirmations" : number of confirmations
  "from" : [ "address" , "address" ]  # Sending address(es)
}

I don't think teaching the bitcoin client to do HTTP POSTs would be horribly hard; I might take a whack at implementing this myself...

How are you currently updating it? Did you use some patch, is there another way? Or has this been integraded already?

I'm in the process of building a tool that needs to have a near-realtime monitor as well, and I don't like polling
Herbert

Activity: 488
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2011, 12:35:40 PM

Is there any update on this type of notification? I also need this kind of notification, but don't like polling either ;-)

www.bitcoinmonitor.net - Free payment notification via email, newsfeed, xpmm/jabber, url callback and full API access!
Send SMS with www.txt4coins.net! No registration, pay-per-use, full API access, bulk messages - All inclusive!
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1060

View Profile
October 07, 2011, 03:42:50 PM

I'd like to use this thread to urge the Bitcoin community to adopt one of well-tested middleware messaging protocols instead of trying the roll-your-own approach on top of JSON-RPC.

Please investigate ZeroMQ, RabbitMQ or anything else that is available and open source before reinventing the whell. For example: Microsoft had experienced significant delays in shipping DCOM in large part because of the difficulty of correctly implementing "connection points" (their terminology for the distributed RPC callbacks).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%98MQ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RabbitMQ

It is my personal opinion that the best long term goal for Bitcoin would be to simply adopt serialization of block- & txn-messages over FIX as a sole communication protocol between wallet-less "bitcoind" and blockchain-less "bitcoinui", even if "bitcoinui" is just another daemon program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_Information_eXchange

There are multiple open-source implementations available for FIX, eg. QuickFIX. Something should be agreable as far as licensing goes.

I understand that the libertarian-oriented portion of the Bitcoin community will not like being associated with the established financial industry. You can think of FIX as Fuck Immoral banXters (using their own tool).

The additional benefit of FIX is that it is naturally DDoS-resistant, unlike JSON-RPC, where sudden spike of legitimate trading or mining activity is indistinguishable from DDoS.

Thank you for your attention.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 07, 2011, 03:47:25 PM

Is there any update on this type of notification? I also need this kind of notification, but don't like polling either ;-)
This is the most recent movement on this, I think...
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7421.0

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: