Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:11:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Asteroid -- a new Mac mining client (0.9.7)  (Read 46397 times)
Karin (OP)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2013, 01:40:27 PM
Last edit: July 17, 2013, 02:56:16 PM by Karin

Interesting, thanks for the update wlwesq.  I think you're on to something, as I seem to confirm it here as well (normal hash rates reported, but only half being reported by the pool).  I spent most of yesterday trying to isolate the problem and will continue looking today as well. Smiley  Signs point to perhaps my compilation of cgminer, which I'm currently troubleshooting.  Asteroid itself (the GUI) doesn't seem to have a direct effect at all.  I'll let you know, and thanks again!

EDIT: The cgminer build used by MacMiner appears to have the same issue.  Bfgminer seems to be unaffected.  Still investigating...

Easiest to use bitcoin/litecoin miner for Mac: AsteroidApp.com | @AsteroidApp | Bitcointalk forum thread
Unofficial cgminer for Mac OS X | sgminer for Mac OS X

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wlwesq

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 04:20:32 PM

It is interesting, definitely, and curious. The miner output window shows everything is kosher. Yet the pool (and the Asteroid GUI) show half of the hash rate. Doesn't make sense, and I'll look forward to what you find out. Thanks!  Smiley
wlwesq

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 09:58:20 PM

Just a quick update. For grins I switched mining pools to BTC Guild, and the "only half the hash rate is showing up" experience remains. The console shows otherwise, but both Asteroid and the pool are reporting roughly half of the rate the console reports.

So, at least we know it's not something tied to a particular pool (unless both Eligius and BTC Guild have the same issue, whatever it is).
Karin (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 01:39:52 AM

Yes, the rate displayed in Asteroid is just a UI bug due to multiple identically-named miners.  The half-hashrate being reported to the pool (only with USB devices) seems to be a problem with my cgminer binaries and is definitely a serious bug for anyone doing USB-based mining with Asteroid now.  However, I've narrowed down the problem and should have a fix ready soon! Smiley

I'll roll it out to the cgminer for Mac OS X binaries I maintain for the community too.

Easiest to use bitcoin/litecoin miner for Mac: AsteroidApp.com | @AsteroidApp | Bitcointalk forum thread
wlwesq

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 09:24:20 AM

Yes, the rate displayed in Asteroid is just a UI bug due to multiple identically-named miners.  The half-hashrate being reported to the pool (only with USB devices) seems to be a problem with my cgminer binaries and is definitely a serious bug for anyone doing USB-based mining with Asteroid now.  However, I've narrowed down the problem and should have a fix ready soon! Smiley

I'll roll it out to the cgminer for Mac OS X binaries I maintain for the community too.

Excellent news!
Karin (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 01:45:40 PM

Excellent news!
wlwesq, are you using Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) on those machines?

Karin (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 02:28:42 PM

But let me ask since you brought it up, and I'm honestly very interested, what do you find you like in bfgminer that you don't see in cgminer?

Well, for me it is simply that I have an ASIC and corresponding drivers installed, so I can freely switch between bfgminer and BitMinter client, but as soon as I want to use cgminer, I have to remove kernel extensions and reboot, which is a little bit inconvenient Smiley
The next version of Asteroid will offer to temporarily disable those drivers on the fly, and then re-enable them for you when you quit.  No restarting, no mucking with files, all automatic. Cheesy

In the meantime I saved the relevant code as an applet for yourself or others to turn on/off the com.silabs.driver.CP210xVCPDriver drivers without rebooting.  It works quite well!  I use it for testing Asteroid and how it plays with other miners.  You can download it here: Toggle USB to UART.app.

HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 10:20:21 PM

I'm getting half the hashrate issue with cgminer 3.3.1 on Windows (downloaded from the official place earlier this evening).  Maybe it's just a cgminer issue rather than your build?

wlwesq

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 10:37:30 PM

Excellent news!
wlwesq, are you using Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) on those machines?

No, just 10.8.4. I haven't felt the urge to get into the OS X beta (yet).  Cool
wlwesq

View Profile
July 18, 2013, 10:41:00 PM
Last edit: July 18, 2013, 11:38:56 PM by wlwesq

I'm getting half the hashrate issue with cgminer 3.3.1 on Windows (downloaded from the official place earlier this evening).  Maybe it's just a cgminer issue rather than your build?

Now that's rather odd. You'd think given Windows's prevalence that folks would be discussing it already, but maybe very few have two USB miners plugged into the same computer. Fortunately, I've been able to plug one into the laptop at home and one into the laptop at work, so I'm covered.

Edited to add: Still, each hardware device is reporting roughly half speed to the pool, even from separate computers. Sorry for the confusion!
Karin (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2013, 11:11:42 PM

I'm getting half the hashrate issue with cgminer 3.3.1 on Windows (downloaded from the official place earlier this evening).  Maybe it's just a cgminer issue rather than your build?

Just so I understand, are you seeing half the hashrate reported by your pool, but full speed reported by your miner?  And what mining hardware are you using if you don't mind the question?

HellDiverUK

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 06:57:55 AM

Just so I understand, are you seeing half the hashrate reported by your pool, but full speed reported by your miner?  And what mining hardware are you using if you don't mind the question?

Correct.

Hardware is: AMD FX8320@4.2GHz, 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX, Windows 7 x64.  Erupter is plugged in to a USB3 port, which on this board runs off an ASMedia chip.

Mining all night on BTCGuild sees 91MH/s, cgminer reports 333MH/s.  Huh

I've not had a chance to fire up my Hackintosh to try Asteroid.
HellDiverUK

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 07:59:38 AM

OK, plugged the miner in to a USB2 port before I left for work this morning.  BTCGuild is now reporting 233MH/s, so it looks like the miner is working better in a USB2 port.

Must be a USB driver issue...  Huh
Karin (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2013, 08:55:20 AM

OK, plugged the miner in to a USB2 port before I left for work this morning.  BTCGuild is now reporting 233MH/s, so it looks like the miner is working better in a USB2 port.

Must be a USB driver issue...  Huh
Yeah, I agree, although it's proving difficult to pinpoint how/why the number of shares produced is lower, especially when the local hashrates are just fine.  I've got a few more ideas I'm following up on.

I could be away for up to four days this weekend, but development will resume asap.  Smiley

HellDiverUK

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 10:48:55 AM

I'm going to have a go at running the "slow" miner through a local stratum proxy, too - see if that helps? 
wlwesq

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 03:43:04 PM

OK, plugged the miner in to a USB2 port before I left for work this morning.  BTCGuild is now reporting 233MH/s, so it looks like the miner is working better in a USB2 port.

Must be a USB driver issue...  Huh
Yeah, I agree, although it's proving difficult to pinpoint how/why the number of shares produced is lower, especially when the local hashrates are just fine.  I've got a few more ideas I'm following up on.

I could be away for up to four days this weekend, but development will resume asap.  Smiley

This may or may not help the search for answers, but here's a further observation.

My "slow" USB device is running off of a powered hub (USB 2.0) hooked into a MacBook Pro (mid-2009 15" 2.8 GHz).

My other USB device is running off of a MacBook Pro (early 2013, 13"), no hub, and seems to be reporting the correct hash rates to the pool.

I'm going to plug the "slow" one directly into the mid-2009 MacBook Pro and see if it's any different. I'll report back what I find.

Enjoy the time away!  Cool
wlwesq

View Profile
July 19, 2013, 03:59:29 PM

Well, this didn't take long. Plugging the "slow" device directly into the USB port on the laptop had no effect on the speed reported to the pool.

I guess the next step is to swap the two devices to see if one of them is defective in some fashion...  Huh
dogcowdave

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 07:26:55 PM

I've seen a similar problem.  I only have 1 usb asic, when running under asteroid or cgminer on osx the pool gets only about 1/2 speed, but if I take the same asic & run it on my PC I get full speed out of it.  Looks to me the problem is with cgminer and number of asics doesn't matter.  I will be trying bfgminer on osx this evening if time allows.
DeviledMoon

Activity: 75

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2013, 08:06:52 PM

I've seen a similar problem.  I only have 1 usb asic, when running under asteroid or cgminer on osx the pool gets only about 1/2 speed, but if I take the same asic & run it on my PC I get full speed out of it.  Looks to me the problem is with cgminer and number of asics doesn't matter.  I will be trying bfgminer on osx this evening if time allows.

ive been finding bfgminer has better performance on mac aswell
wlwesq

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 12:21:36 AM

It appears the BFGMiner definitely has better performance in terms of what it's reporting to the pools, but it's still a bit slow.

Within the miner I'll get 660-680 MH/s, but only about 580-600 are getting reported by the pool.

This is observed using MacMiner 1.3.17 (which may not be the latest build or official release version).

In MacMiner, the FPGA/ASIC miner works great except that every once in a while it'll just stop. I can set up a notification for idle workers but it always happens when I'm at work and can't take the hour round trip to restart the buggers.  Tongue

Hopefully the BFGMiner will run with greater stability, even if I'm losing several dozen hashes/second. Better that than huge swaths of downtime.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: