Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:39:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Asteroid -- a new Mac mining client (0.9.7)  (Read 46397 times)
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 29, 2013, 09:16:05 AM

Just posting to say I've tried Asteroid on my new Macbook Pro, and I'm seeing the same issue with reporting of only a single Erupter. I am still beta testing, I just haven't got much to say that hasn't been said already. Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thefunkybits
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 06:38:32 AM

Please add support for other alt coins! Possibly even a more open source format that would make it easy to point to different alt coin pools no matter how new they came on the scene
Karin (OP)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 02, 2013, 02:59:41 PM

Please add support for other alt coins! Possibly even a more open source format that would make it easy to point to different alt coin pools no matter how new they came on the scene
Good idea, I'll put this into the next version.  Should just be a few UI changes.  Asteroid technically can mine to altcoins right now if you want, by choosing the bitcoin type for alt coins that use SHA-256 and litecoin for alt coins that use scrypt, but I'll make this easier to distinguish in the next version, and thanks very much for your feedback thefunkybits! Cheesy

Easiest to use bitcoin/litecoin miner for Mac: AsteroidApp.com | @AsteroidApp | Bitcointalk forum thread
Unofficial cgminer for Mac OS X | sgminer for Mac OS X
tk1337

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 03:51:17 PM

asteroidapp.com isn't resolving, but would love to try out the miner, looks pretty slick for OSX.

Do you have a mirror I could download from?
(I own several domains, I could easily host a mirror if you would like, message me.)
XFox

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 03:57:08 PM

asteroidapp.com isn't resolving, but would love to try out the miner, looks pretty slick for OSX.

Worksforme.

BTC: 1FdkrY4qT1MxARAJE3fX3HXBjWn2J54poa
LTC: LW9y3UiicfRPBZcniMrCrVhHnR2ygnWVe9
tk1337

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 04:26:46 PM
Last edit: September 02, 2013, 04:39:08 PM by tk1337

Worksforme.

It finally loaded, but looks like there are some issues, either with the hosting provider (dream host) or random outage.

Code:
Warning: mysqli_connect() [function.mysqli-connect]: (HY000/2013): Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading authorization packet', system error: 0 in /home/asteroidapp/asteroidapp.com/index.php on line 111

Warning: mysqli_error() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli, boolean given in /home/asteroidapp/asteroidapp.com/index.php on line 115

Warning: mysqli_query() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli, boolean given in /home/asteroidapp/asteroidapp.com/index.php on line 20

Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, null given in /home/asteroidapp/asteroidapp.com/index.php on line 21

Edit: Finally was able to download it, no more mySQL errors showing, so it looks like the server got a restart finally. Like I said, if you would like a mirror location, let me know, I'll be happy to host it.
tk1337

View Profile
September 02, 2013, 04:59:49 PM

Also, sent in a report...

The UI doesn't seem to be communicating with cgMiner's API, the miner is running yet the UI thinks it's failing to connect, when it's not. I would attempt to debug it myself, however I shouldn't even be on the forums atm, I've got code due tomorrow for work, lol.
tk1337

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 06:32:16 AM

Also, sent in a report...

The UI doesn't seem to be communicating with cgMiner's API, the miner is running yet the UI thinks it's failing to connect, when it's not. I would attempt to debug it myself, however I shouldn't even be on the forums atm, I've got code due tomorrow for work, lol.

Finally had a moment to try the miner again, found the issue to be a conflicting cgminer.conf file, after removing it, miner is looking good.

So, to people that have been using cgMiner, MacMiner, or the bundled cgMiner for Mac script and you're having issues, then try removing (or just moving as I did) your cgminer.conf file located in /Users/[Username]/.cgminer/cgminer.conf
HorusFTW

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2013, 05:10:17 PM

Has anyone had any success in getting Asteroid to mine FTC? It seems to connect but its hashing is slow and fluctuates drastically. No shares accepted to this point.
zpply

Activity: 62

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 09:10:51 PM

Anyone have this working with ppcoin?
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 05:01:56 PM

I seem to have gotten Asteroid working with some caveats: The Miner Console gives me output that it's working, but the GUI itself seems screwed up. Too many problems to list. However, the pool does show that's mining, so if you can overlook the fact that the GUI is just totally broken, it does seem to mine.

more or less retired.
Karin (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2013, 01:54:21 AM

I seem to have gotten Asteroid working with some caveats: The Miner Console gives me output that it's working, but the GUI itself seems screwed up. Too many problems to list. However, the pool does show that's mining, so if you can overlook the fact that the GUI is just totally broken, it does seem to mine.

I wouldn't say it's totally broken, but there are a few known issues.  Smiley  To bypass the UI display bug, wait until the miner has started mining before clicking on the triangle to show all your devices.  Users have been active in submitting feedback and I'm hoping to be able to tackle more of them soon!

Easiest to use bitcoin/litecoin miner for Mac: AsteroidApp.com | @AsteroidApp | Bitcointalk forum thread
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 10:21:31 PM

Can i use this to mine on the testnet using my bitcoind? Didn't see a way to do that.
DiCE1904
Legendary

Activity: 1118
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2013, 07:42:52 AM

Send in my feedback so you could see what I'm working with. I have a Little single and 10 Erupters but only one erupter mines out of all of them.

Very excited to see the progress you have made with this program. Keep it up!

iLoveXojo

Activity: 13

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 06:19:01 AM

I'm having a problem: I cannot get mining started on my iMac 8,1. I'm mining Litecoins and whenever I start the miner, I get this error message:

"No devices enabled, waiting...". I have tried to do this with CPU and GPU mining. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Karin (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2013, 10:19:31 PM

I'm having a problem: I cannot get mining started on my iMac 8,1. I'm mining Litecoins and whenever I start the miner, I get this error message:

"No devices enabled, waiting...". I have tried to do this with CPU and GPU mining. Any ideas?

Thanks.
My guess is that perhaps your early 2008 iMac doesn't have a graphics card compatible with Apple's implementation of OpenCL, which is necessary for using GPUs for cyptocoin mining on a Mac.  You could explore CPU mining for litecoin, in which case I believe you would want to look at a product called "cpuminer".  Asteroid is a front-end interface to cgminer, and cgminer no longer has CPU mining enabled as a feature any more, for various reasons (slow, used by botnets, etc).

iLoveXojo

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 12:33:33 AM

Thanks.
My guess is that perhaps your early 2008 iMac doesn't have a graphics card compatible with Apple's implementation of OpenCL, which is necessary for using GPUs for cyptocoin mining on a Mac.  You could explore CPU mining for litecoin, in which case I believe you would want to look at a product called "cpuminer".  Asteroid is a front-end interface to cgminer, and cgminer no longer has CPU mining enabled as a feature any more, for various reasons (slow, used by botnets, etc).

Ah, thanks! What is your experience with the Iris graphics? Iris (and Iris Pro) is being used in Apple's latest models which run Haswell.
Karin (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 02:46:50 AM

Ah, thanks! What is your experience with the Iris graphics? Iris (and Iris Pro) is being used in Apple's latest models which run Haswell.
The Intel Iris Pro is an integrated graphics chipset.  But surprisingly, and for the first time ever on Macs, the Intel Iris Pro graphics can be used with Asteroid for GPU-based mining thanks to the new Mavericks 10.9 which added OpenCL support for those chipsets.  As far as I know, all previous versions of Intel Integrated Graphics would not work.

As for general purpose usage, I think it's a great day-to-day graphics setup.  Mavericks dynamically adjusts the amount of shared VRAM it uses with the rest of the operating system, so it's very memory efficient.  And gaming speeds are on par with what the dedicated graphics chipset was in the previous Mac models.

An Asteroid user reported around 35MH/s when mining Bitcoin.  Litecoin hashing speeds weren't very high either.  Your best bet mining Bitcoin these days is from USB-based ASIC mining devices though, but as a Mac user and tech fan, I'm generally pleased with the Intel Iris Pro for the normal user!  (I like gaming, so I still buy machines with dedicated graphics cards whenever I can for that extra boost)

huryde

Activity: 82

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2013, 05:11:04 AM

I have been using Asteroid to mine with my GPU and MacMiner to mine on a separate pool with my Block Eruptors at GHash.io in conjunction with my cloud mining at cex.io. Asteroid has been great, even with Maverick. It does pop up a warning about my Block Eruptor drivers.

iLoveXojo

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 05:14:32 AM

The Intel Iris Pro is an integrated graphics chipset.  But surprisingly, and for the first time ever on Macs, the Intel Iris Pro graphics can be used with Asteroid for GPU-based mining thanks to the new Mavericks 10.9 which added OpenCL support for those chipsets.  As far as I know, all previous versions of Intel Integrated Graphics would not work.

As for general purpose usage, I think it's a great day-to-day graphics setup.  Mavericks dynamically adjusts the amount of shared VRAM it uses with the rest of the operating system, so it's very memory efficient.  And gaming speeds are on par with what the dedicated graphics chipset was in the previous Mac models.

An Asteroid user reported around 35MH/s when mining Bitcoin.  Litecoin hashing speeds weren't very high either.  Your best bet mining Bitcoin these days is from USB-based ASIC mining devices though, but as a Mac user and tech fan, I'm generally pleased with the Intel Iris Pro for the normal user!  (I like gaming, so I still buy machines with dedicated graphics cards whenever I can for that extra boost)

Either that or purchase a graphics card and connect it via Thunderbolt 2 Wink Thunderbolt is the best thing to happen to the Mac.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: