Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 10:52:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible to build a decentralised Facebook?  (Read 712 times)
adhitthana (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 03:39:38 AM

Please give your thoughts
HippiePyro

Activity: 476
Merit: 107

A non technical guy in a technical world

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 03:48:33 AM

This is what Steem was supposed to be.
adhitthana (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 03:50:28 AM

They are both "social media" but Steem seems different in use to Fabebook
sjbi

Activity: 770
Merit: 14

www.thegeomadao.com

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 04:12:55 AM

They are both "social media" but Steem seems different in use to Fabebook

With the rise of many decentralized techs like decentralized storage, sharing and hosting, it is totally possible we see a totally decentralized social network.

Vinalians

Activity: 819
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 04:18:39 AM

Well it is possible but i guess mark zuckerberg wont do it. He is on a open public people know him very well so why he make facebook decentralized. And it is better that facebook today is open for the public.
siddartha1492

Activity: 952
Merit: 284

In love with Bitcoin!! 💓💕

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2017, 04:25:25 AM

Well Steemit is the first step towards it. Probably future apps built on steem blockchain will eventually lead to a decentralized Facebook. A decentralized Youtube has already been built called, Dtube (does not belong to youtube).

pawanjain

Activity: 2688
Merit: 715

Nothing lasts forever

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 04:28:57 AM

I wonder if a social media website could be decentralized. Facebook is a social media website and it needs maintenance and backup time to time to work properly. It needs servers to send and receive information. These are servers should be maintained well by man and needs updated from time to time . If Facebook is to be decentralized then its servers should be capable to update itself regularly and should be capable to handle large amount of data efficiently. So in my opinion it is possible but with a lot of work.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
phr0stbyt3

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 04:41:45 AM

Not really steem is surely decentralised but many won't like it's interface when compared with facebook even if someone is able to create a replica of facebook and is decentralised it won't get much attention, there are many signing petitions against privacy and even protesting but no one really knows the meaning of it they still wanna fight against privacy but don't wanna use any alternative which is a solution to the problem
13abyknight

Activity: 602
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 05:14:52 AM

It would be hard to run the idea of a decentralised social network as it would need a lot of things in place for the project to lift off. There's already a decentralised social network named 'Social' with a marketplace platform called Nexus. You can see the progress and developments of this project to see if it's going to work out.
fortunecrypto
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1047

thecryptocurrency.directory

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2017, 05:15:36 AM

You mean no censorship at all, there are so many fake news in facebook feeds that is why facebook implement reporting of such post if a new social comes out with a free  for all I don't think it's going to be healthy but I am not into censorship but there should be a level so to discourage fake news.

overnightmillionaire

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2017, 05:37:01 AM

This will be possible with EOS and their web development toolkit.

https://steemit.com/eos/@eosio/the-dawn-of-eos-io

DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 06:11:39 AM

Why on earth would we need another facebook? Thats a pretty ambitious project since most normal non-crypto knowing will be hard to convince.
RoommateAgreement

Activity: 770

Bazinga!

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 06:22:46 AM

you mean storing everything on the blockchain?

it sounds very interesing.
i guess you can do that. everyone has a private key that they submit "stuff" to the blockchain and others (their friends) can see those "stuff" using their public key to find them. but everyone else would also be able to see it if they have your public key since blockchain will be public. so you won't have the privacy option of the facebook. (unless you implement the anon transactions in it).

the other issue would soon be that it require a very huge space to hold all the data and that can make it centralized again in a couple of data centers.

Buying the dip...
sinner

Activity: 615

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 06:33:22 AM

i thought Steemit was more similar to Blogspot/Medium/Wordpress, but with an integrated blockchain..

I wonder if a social media website could be decentralized. Facebook is a social media website and it needs maintenance and backup time to time to work properly. It needs servers to send and receive information. These are servers should be maintained well by man and needs updated from time to time . If Facebook is to be decentralized then its servers should be capable to update itself regularly and should be capable to handle large amount of data efficiently. So in my opinion it is possible but with a lot of work.

You don't need a fully decentralized facebook.. that would be wasteful and is currently unnecessary.  What we do need is for people to have an option: do I want the value of my posting content to go to a corporation or to myself? (via a Steemit-esque version of facebook where you get paid)

You mean no censorship at all, there are so many fake news in facebook feeds that is why facebook implement reporting of such post if a new social comes out with a free  for all I don't think it's going to be healthy but I am not into censorship but there should be a level so to discourage fake news.

facebook uses algorithms to filter out anything but regressive leftist SJW news.
BTCwriter
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 07:00:45 AM
Last edit: September 03, 2017, 07:26:44 AM by BTCwriter

Yes, it is possible but I see the brain behind it is a little slow. I do have the brain behind it but I don't have the finance for the tech. My idea of decentralized social media will blow everything into pieces but I think it's not possible because I don't have the money for people working for me.
ss890

Activity: 644
Merit: 263

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2017, 07:30:59 AM

I think whatever you referring to is in my Social coin right now. The Social + Nexus is the revolutionary platform which is similar to Facebook and stuff like that. You can use the crypto currencies over there for using their services. The social networking is similar to Facebook and I believe it is better than it. By the way ICO is going very hot right now. Just saying. :-) So yes decentralised social network is completely possible and we have working model for it.
PokerDiceMan

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 07:34:26 AM

if mark interest, is can easy facebook use platform same steem
but i think mark is not interest,and facebook this now is ready and go public in stock exchange
so before develop to new platform must consultation with investor

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
Justaguy2

Activity: 210

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 07:35:46 AM

Why on earth would we need another facebook? Thats a pretty ambitious project since most normal non-crypto knowing will be hard to convince.

G i don't know, maybe because of all the advertising that drops? Maybe because of all the abuse happening with your private data?
uDwcHYO

Activity: 363

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 07:42:36 AM

As I know the project Akasha is engaged in this task. In the advisers Vitalik Buterin. A decentralized social network is planned.
From their website:"we were able to create a planetary-scale information network immune to censorship by design, where your thoughts and ideas will echo throughout humanity’s existence."
The alpha version is already available for Linux, MacOS, and Windows. The main Ethereum network launch (AKASHA 1.0) is expected to happen around Q3/Q4 2017.

zzz
Jdope

Activity: 747
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 08:42:31 AM

Nexus is trying to do this, not necessarily a facebook but its trying to make a decentralized social media website. I suggest checking out their ico
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: