Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:21:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know of a cheap under $200 gpu for mining ?  (Read 3936 times)
Devilcheg (OP)

Activity: 136
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 06:21:48 PM

My friend began to be interested in cryptocurrency.
He dont want to spend 2k on asic stuff and whatnot, so he probably just mine ethereum or something like it. He wants to use his old laptop, but I know that's gonna dont work.
So, need cheap gpu. Any ideas, links?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 08:11:09 PM

At this point, any GPU worth mining on is selling for somewhat more than $200, due to the demand exceeding the supply in the case of most of them.
This situation HAS been easing some but pricing is still inflated on RX 470/480/570/580 cards a LOT, somewhat so on GTX 1060 (and a little on the GTX 1070 but those are NORMALLY a lot more), and availability is still very spotty.

You could get somethign like a RX 460 or GTX 1050ti, but those don't mine a LOT - on the other hand, their pricing hasn't inflated much if at all as there is almost no demand for those cards from miners DUE to the low performance - on a per-card basis they're efficient, but on a SYSTEM basis they don't work out so well.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2017, 11:13:42 PM
Last edit: September 05, 2017, 11:55:36 PM by Undefined31415

He dont want to spend 2k on asic stuff and whatnot, so he probably just mine ethereum or something like it. He wants to use his old laptop, but I know that's gonna dont work.

With some deal hunting, you might be able to find a new 3GB 1060 for just under $200. (Think Newegg, $25 off $200 promo code with your first MasterPass payment, and no sales tax for customers in a number of states.) These are capable of around 300 H/s on equihash if you can adjust their clock settings a bit.

But if profit is his main goal, I sincerely hope he's not buying a motherboard/CPU/RAM/etc. just to mine with one budget card. One sub-$200 card would take a long time to pay for the rest of the parts for a rig PLUS its own original cost.
His electricity rate is also an important factor to consider. At higher rates, having all those other components powered up to support only one GPU would cause a sizable dent in his expected profit.

If his interest is in cryptocurrency and not specifically in mining, perhaps you should suggest that he consider taking his $200 and trading it for some various cryptos. (This is sometimes a better move, even for miners with much bigger setups.)

On the other hand, if he already has an existing system with an open x16 slot and suitable PSU, perhaps he may as well get a graphics card, especially if he might need it for other purposes (gaming, heavy photo/video editing, etc.) down the road.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
sevenmiles

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 11:25:22 PM

NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti

Most profitable algorithms past 30 days
NeoScrypt: 1.3%
DaggerHashimoto: 81.3%
CryptoNight: 4.2%
Lbry: 0.5%
Equihash: 10.9%
X11Gost: 1.6%
NiceHash.com

NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti
Approximate ROI **   164 Days

It's more profitable than 1060/1070/1080/1080TI/RX570/580 at current price

Jdope

Activity: 747
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 11:42:04 PM

He can try hunting for a r9 290, it gives good hashes on eth, zcash and monero but it takes a bit too much power
SH777

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 12:09:29 AM

buy gpu cards on alibaba. you can buy 2 rx 480 cards with $200.
Undefined31415

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2017, 12:27:59 AM

Except you won't receive any cards.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 01:41:57 AM

NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti

NiceHash.com

NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti

nicehash is a joke lolz, they be rippin yall whom use it

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
joshuaj

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

IDEX - LIVE Real-time DEX

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 04:10:30 AM

NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti

NiceHash.com

NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti

1050ti is a good ROI on card cost, but the return is very low even plug full 6 card in one motherboard.

SH777

Activity: 17

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 04:16:58 AM

Except you won't receive any cards.

Always deal with high transaction level and with trade assurance its legit bro
Devilcheg (OP)

Activity: 136
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 06:01:47 PM

With some deal hunting, you might be able to find a new 3GB 1060 for just under $200. (Think Newegg, $25 off $200 promo code with your first MasterPass payment, and no sales tax for customers in a number of states.) These are capable of around 300 H/s on equihash if you can adjust their clock settings a bit.

But if profit is his main goal, I sincerely hope he's not buying a motherboard/CPU/RAM/etc. just to mine with one budget card. One sub-$200 card would take a long time to pay for the rest the rest of a parts for a rig PLUS its own original cost
His electricity rate is also an important factor to consider. At higher rates, having all those other components powered up to support only one GPU would cause a sizable dent in his expected profit.

If his interest is in cryptocurrency and not specifically in mining, perhaps you should suggest that he consider taking his $200 and trading it for some various cryptos. (This is sometimes a better move, even for miners with much bigger setups.)

On the other hand, if he already has an existing system with an open x16 slot and suitable PSU, perhaps he may as well get a graphics card, especially if he might need it for other purposes (gaming, heavy photo/video editing, etc.) down the road.

Thanks for the full answer. My friend listened to your advice and bought on ebay EVGA GTX 1060 3GB

NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti

NiceHash.com

NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti

Thanks. But there are only 768 cuda cores in GTX 1050 Ti.
GTX 1060 3GB = 1152 cuda cores
frowsiter

Activity: 714
Merit: 261

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 06:28:44 PM

You can try GTX 730, 960 540 series. These are most cheapest gpu you will find in the market. Go for 4 gb power and try to get second hand which would be even cheaper for your friend. These gpu are still profitable if managed with rig of three to four units. Single gpu from them won't give you much profits. You will have to have six gpu in place. You can go for mining zcash. You will have almost 30 sol/s hash power from these models which is pretty fast with these oldies and ROI is about one year. :-)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 07:11:36 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0;all

It's not TECHNICALLY a GPU but they're well under $200.

The GTX 960 isn't a particularly profitable card (I have 2 of them) - better off to look at the GTX 750 ti in that generation of NVidia.
 I would IGNORE anything before the 9xx series except the 750 ti - too low of performance for the power draw.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Branko

Activity: 2450
Merit: 318

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 08:56:07 AM

Gigabyte RX560 2GB version with micron memory 15.5-16MH/s is pretty good card for mining
etehreum clones (expanse, ubiq, musicion), you get 30MH/s for $200
Chronn

Activity: 37

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 09:26:47 AM

I have a GTX 1060 myself and it barely makes a profit if I was mining. This might be due to my high electricity costs of about 30 cents/kWh but my recent calculation for my revenue was about 1€ worth of Ether but paying about 60 cents in electricity, so a net profit of about 40 cents a day.

Ethereum requires a huge amount of graphics memory, about 3GB and soon more. Therefore cheap cards cannot mine Ethereum reliably as they often lack enough memory. To cite a post from stackexchange (https://ethereum.stackexchange.com/questions/426/what-is-the-current-dag-size-when-do-we-expect-to-hit-gpu-limits):
"The 3GB limit will be hit around mid-April 2018".
This means that from April 2018 on you need atleast 4GB video memory on your GPUs to mine Ethereum.

As a rough approximation, I'll take a card of 200€ and expect a profit of about 50 cents. This gives me a ROI time of 400 days. It takes me over a whole year running the card 24/7 to barely break even. Factor in the noise and heat, you probably do not want to do this in your own room or appartment.

The only chance you have are other altcoins which are not as memory hungry. Mining those early on might give you big rewards when they hit an exchange, but you could also end up with a net loss because the coin does not gather interested folks and fails. This will leave you with a huge electricity bill and little to no value in coins.

Unless you have super cheap electricity or super cheap hardware, it just does not make sense to get a dedicated mining rig with such a low budget.
Undefined31415

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2017, 12:00:36 AM

I have a GTX 1060 myself and it barely makes a profit if I was mining. This might be due to my high electricity costs of about 30 cents/kWh but my recent calculation for my revenue was about 1€ worth of Ether but paying about 60 cents in electricity, so a net profit of about 40 cents a day.

Ethereum requires a huge amount of graphics memory, about 3GB and soon more. Therefore cheap cards cannot mine Ethereum reliably as they often lack enough memory. To cite a post from stackexchange (https://ethereum.stackexchange.com/questions/426/what-is-the-current-dag-size-when-do-we-expect-to-hit-gpu-limits):
This means that from April 2018 on you need atleast 4GB video memory on your GPUs to mine Ethereum.

As a rough approximation, I'll take a card of 200€ and expect a profit of about 50 cents. This gives me a ROI time of 400 days. It takes me over a whole year running the card 24/7 to barely break even. Factor in the noise and heat, you probably do not want to do this in your own room or appartment.

The only chance you have are other altcoins which are not as memory hungry. Mining those early on might give you big rewards when they hit an exchange, but you could also end up with a net loss because the coin does not gather interested folks and fails. This will leave you with a huge electricity bill and little to no value in coins.

Unless you have super cheap electricity or super cheap hardware, it just does not make sense to get a dedicated mining rig with such a low budget.

$0.30/kWh is a pretty insane electricity cost for a miner. If I had to pay that much, I definitely wouldn't be investing in more GPUs.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 12:03:46 AM

Theres still profit to be found in these cards but you just have a very high electrical cost. Most people I know that mine in the US have costs around $.10/kwh and I get around $.07/kwh. I wouldn't mine at anything above $.15/kwh as the profit there is just minimal. You are right about the DAG size, but in your case electrical cost is a much larger factor.
bravetheheat

Activity: 457
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 12:07:41 AM

I assume your friend wants to mine ETH, so you will need to more than 3GB memory for single card.

You can choice 1050Ti 4GB, 1060 3GB, AMD Rx 560 4GB

But if you just mine some coins for fun, any GPU will be fine for the mining rig.

And you can download minergate, and you can mine a lot of coins by single CPU
Burks21

Activity: 5

View Profile
September 10, 2017, 05:55:43 AM

I assume your friend wants to mine ETH, so you will need to more than 3GB memory for single card.

But if you just mine some coins for fun, any GPU will be fine for the mining rig.

Heck, I've been mining Bytecoin from my old Galaxy S6 just for the hell of it. 23 h/s, 5w/hr power draw. Definitely not making any money but it only costs me $0.25 a month to run.

Just upgraded my CPU/mobo (was an old i3-540, now a FX8300). Looking for a budget mining/gaming GPU myself actually. Just can't pull the trigger on anything.
Undefined31415

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2017, 09:24:26 AM

Heck, I've been mining Bytecoin from my old Galaxy S6 just for the hell of it. 23 h/s, 5w/hr power draw. Definitely not making any money but it only costs me $0.25 a month to run.

Just upgraded my CPU/mobo (was an old i3-540, now a FX8300). Looking for a budget mining/gaming GPU myself actually. Just can't pull the trigger on anything.

If you don't care about that phone, you could just sell it and use that money to buy some coins to speculate with. Phones, of all mobile devices, were definitely not meant to be pegged 24/7. They don't even have fans or cases that allow for proper passive ventilation. (If you opened it up and made a little cooling system just so it could mine, hats off to you.)

Currently, a used S6 is worth much more than you'd likely mine with it over the course of its expected lifetime.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄