Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:31:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FOR THE RECORD: Does Motherboard really matter in mining?  (Read 1082 times)
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 03:39:22 AM

Does MOBO really matter guys?

For a standard 6 GPU rig (1070), does this really matter?

Example point of comparison:

MOBO #1: $75
ASRock H81 PRO BTC R2.0 LGA 1150 Intel H81 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

MOBO #2 $169
ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel

The above are just example of comparison. I mean if MOBO doesn't really matter, why i have seen people buying asus prime over AsRock?

Appreciate if you can enlighten me.

TIA

One reason is that the availability of the Motherboard, Asrock H81 pro BTC is rare in other locations, other than Z270, Suppliers is very much keen on the demand and have to choose which product they want to sell

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deadsix

Activity: 751
Merit: 517

Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 05:39:01 AM

A motherboard that has been designed for mining specifically will be by and large the most hassle free and the easiest to setup for mining with 6 or more GPUs with the least troubleshooting, hair pulling, and downtime. We came to the decision that at this point we won't use anything other then dedicated mining boards. Down time is lost money, let alone the aggravation of dealing with it and losing that time to do other things that need to be done.... they just aren't worth it for us at least.

In my year and a half of experience, Mining specific motherboards have given me WAAAY more trouble than regular or gaming motherboards.
I prefer the latter because of the ease of setup ( for a total newbie it may be more complicated to setup a non mining board, but once you know your way around a few bioses, its fairly straightforward ) and stability, because their availability is much better and because prices are much more reasonable.
Sure in the long run maybe the mining board has better components that would last longer, but I doubt it seeing the cheap ass thin pcb's and lack of features on both Asrock or Biostar (I own 20+ of each btw so I speak from experience).
Suffice to say is, if one of the reputed motherboard manufacturer make any mining boards, I will buy them without skipping a heartbeat. I await the Asus mining boards for now.

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 10:00:23 PM

A motherboard that has been designed for mining specifically will be by and large the most hassle free and the easiest to setup for mining with 6 or more GPUs with the least troubleshooting, hair pulling, and downtime. We came to the decision that at this point we won't use anything other then dedicated mining boards. Down time is lost money, let alone the aggravation of dealing with it and losing that time to do other things that need to be done.... they just aren't worth it for us at least.

In my year and a half of experience, Mining specific motherboards have given me WAAAY more trouble than regular or gaming motherboards.
I prefer the latter because of the ease of setup ( for a total newbie it may be more complicated to setup a non mining board, but once you know your way around a few bioses, its fairly straightforward ) and stability, because their availability is much better and because prices are much more reasonable.
Sure in the long run maybe the mining board has better components that would last longer, but I doubt it seeing the cheap ass thin pcb's and lack of features on both Asrock or Biostar (I own 20+ of each btw so I speak from experience).
Suffice to say is, if one of the reputed motherboard manufacturer make any mining boards, I will buy them without skipping a heartbeat. I await the Asus mining boards for now.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree based on my own experience.  Our dedicated mining motherboards have been the most stable and the simplest to setup.... they also only cost $80 or so right now and that's cheaper then most z170/z270 motherboards... price and availability are fine here in the USA at least. Since my wife does the majority of the work once they're set up it's very important to us for them to be rock solid stable and easy to setup or or troubleshoot if something does happen.
CjMapope
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1092

~Full-Time Minter since 2016~

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2017, 10:42:28 PM

Manufacturers are now (finally) adding warranty void clauses for using gaming hardware for mining as well so keep that in mind
- there is no way for them prove its been used for mining, so i call it BS

if you dont think they can't tell capacitors and shit that have had 24/7 load thru them END on END for months, you are crazy ;p
Try it hehe, watch after 2-3 RMAs you get the email: sorry, this manufacture wont accept your shit anymore as they believe you are using it out of its recommend usage Cheesy
It happens, guys come n these forums and tell us haha

~Got this girl in my bed, a roof over my head, i mint a couple coins a week, and thats how i make bread~
~On the 12th day of Hatzvah, OGminer said to me: "compute root of the merkle hash tree!"~
Prohashing  -- Simply the best Multipool!
Mattthev

Activity: 966
Merit: 359

👉MINING-BIOS.eu💲⛏

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2017, 08:01:41 AM

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree based on my own experience.  Our dedicated mining motherboards have been the most stable and the simplest to setup.... they also only cost $80 or so right now and that's cheaper then most z170/z270 motherboards... price and availability are fine here in the USA at least. Since my wife does the majority of the work once they're set up it's very important to us for them to be rock solid stable and easy to setup or or troubleshoot if something does happen.
Well in US maybe Cheesy in EU there is bigger problem... prices are pretty high compared to normal mobo. And their desing is pretty much save on everything, they not put even control leds on them Cheesy  I like my Z270 mobos :3

Mining Bios with Performance Timings 👍 Mining-Bios.euPBE 1.7PBE 3 PRO👌⛏│AFFILIATE system 10% ref 💰💲BTC│👉 XMR-AEON-STAK 🔝⛏ Monero V9 (CNv4) ✅│XMRig AMD🔝⛏ CNv4 ✅
FIAT from BINANCE to REVOLUT 💳│🚀Upcoming/Active ICO list📈🤑│👉Free Bitcoin BTC Faucet💰💲│Guides:RX 470/480/570/580, VEGA Bios Mod Tutorial - SRB, PBE 💰💲│PBE.eu
CRYPTO to FIAT BTC💲💳│ How to Mine XMR/RYO and CN coins + Miners Downloads💰⛏│Guides:How to Mine AEON💰⛏
monerobiosedit@gmail.com│✅Did I help you? Give me some +Merit 🤜🤛👌
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 08:04:56 AM

You need mobo with enough PCI-E lanes if you want 6 or more GPUs.

Mining works FINE on a PCI-E 1x slot - it's NOT high level data intensive.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
crocozino

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 06, 2017, 08:45:44 AM

well, I put it fro myself very simple and straight - if I want stability to be the main thing - then PCI-E slots have to be implemented as standard feature by chipset
not by any external controllers or something similar.
that is why I choose MOBO which has 6 PCI-e slots built in
I can add 1 or 2 pci-e slot through M2 riser and that's enough for me

in the end I have a rock-stable system with nice performance and...  in the end I can sell this mb easily
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: