Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:22:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FOR THE RECORD: Does Motherboard really matter in mining?  (Read 1082 times)
bitsph (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 07:59:38 AM

Does MOBO really matter guys?

For a standard 6 GPU rig (1070), does this really matter?

Example point of comparison:

MOBO #1: $75
ASRock H81 PRO BTC R2.0 LGA 1150 Intel H81 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

MOBO #2 $169
ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel

The above are just example of comparison. I mean if MOBO doesn't really matter, why i have seen people buying asus prime over AsRock?

Appreciate if you can enlighten me.

TIA
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2017, 08:06:52 AM
Last edit: September 04, 2017, 09:01:04 AM by Undefined31415

Does MOBO really matter guys?

For a standard 6 GPU rig (1070), does this really matter?

Example point of comparison:

MOBO #1: $75
ASRock H81 PRO BTC R2.0 LGA 1150 Intel H81 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

MOBO #2 $169
ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel

The above are just example of comparison. I mean if MOBO doesn't really matter, why i have seen people buying asus prime over AsRock?

Appreciate if you can enlighten me.

TIA

Maybe people want a motherboard that they could use for a decent gaming PC, should mining not work out in the future. Support for LGA1151 processors and DDR4 RAM is a nice. However, I'm not certain why someone building several rigs would pick mobo #2 over #1 other than it has one more PCIe slot.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
bitsph (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 08:25:18 AM

Thanks for the reply and you have a good point.

However in terms of FOR MINING ONLY MOBO, will there be any impact in the performance if I choose more expensive MOBO than cheaper ones?
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 08:29:11 AM

Some motherboards don't support using all the PCI-E slots for GPU's or make it easier to setup multiple cards for mining. Otherwise there is no performance gain from using one motherboard over another.
1234ms

Activity: 29

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 08:33:17 AM

Some motherboards make it easier to set up and troubleshoot mining rigs due to their features.
bitsph (OP)

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 08:35:25 AM

Thanks for your replies.

If so, will you agree on me that I'd rather invest on better PSU than MOBO?
Vann

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 08:43:53 AM

The PSU is the most important component in a mining rig. If the PSU goes out, at best so does your whole rig. Stick with gold or platinum rated PSU's from brands that use quality components like EVGA or Corsair. Platinum rated server PSU's are another good option and cheaper, but they are loud and you need additional components.
Mattthev

Activity: 966
Merit: 359

👉MINING-BIOS.eu💲⛏

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2017, 08:45:38 AM

You need mobo with enough PCI-E lanes if you want 6 or more GPUs. Personaly I don't like these mining mobos, like TB-250, I had problem set one of this and there are no leds, so I had no idea what is wrong... It was CPU. Stock bios doesn't support G3900 CPU... Almost 2 years old CPU is not supported on this year new mobo -_-

I'm now using only Z270 chipset. Mix of Asus Z270-P and MSI Z270A-PRO. I like them both. Asus had some troubles but bios updates make it work like a charm.

Mining Bios with Performance Timings 👍 Mining-Bios.euPBE 1.7PBE 3 PRO👌⛏│AFFILIATE system 10% ref 💰💲BTC│👉 XMR-AEON-STAK 🔝⛏ Monero V9 (CNv4) ✅│XMRig AMD🔝⛏ CNv4 ✅
FIAT from BINANCE to REVOLUT 💳│🚀Upcoming/Active ICO list📈🤑│👉Free Bitcoin BTC Faucet💰💲│Guides:RX 470/480/570/580, VEGA Bios Mod Tutorial - SRB, PBE 💰💲│PBE.eu
CRYPTO to FIAT BTC💲💳│ How to Mine XMR/RYO and CN coins + Miners Downloads💰⛏│Guides:How to Mine AEON💰⛏
monerobiosedit@gmail.com│✅Did I help you? Give me some +Merit 🤜🤛👌
jtcminer

Activity: 20

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 09:12:10 AM

If you are using ANTMINER you don't need to use MOBO and ANTMINER has faster ROI than 1 RIG or 7 GPU which you won't believe because they have the same price but the ROI is faster for ANTMINER in just 1 month your ROI is back.

If you are interested you can PM me for Philippines only.
Vann

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 09:18:19 AM

If you are using ANTMINER you don't need to use MOBO and ANTMINER has faster ROI than 1 RIG or 7 GPU which you won't believe because they have the same price but the ROI is faster for ANTMINER in just 1 month your ROI is back.

The easiest way to get scammed in Crypto is to buy an ASIC from anyone other than directly from a reputable manufacurer.
Mattthev

Activity: 966
Merit: 359

👉MINING-BIOS.eu💲⛏

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2017, 11:54:42 AM

Yeah, buy an ASIC from Newbie...

Mining Bios with Performance Timings 👍 Mining-Bios.euPBE 1.7PBE 3 PRO👌⛏│AFFILIATE system 10% ref 💰💲BTC│👉 XMR-AEON-STAK 🔝⛏ Monero V9 (CNv4) ✅│XMRig AMD🔝⛏ CNv4 ✅
FIAT from BINANCE to REVOLUT 💳│🚀Upcoming/Active ICO list📈🤑│👉Free Bitcoin BTC Faucet💰💲│Guides:RX 470/480/570/580, VEGA Bios Mod Tutorial - SRB, PBE 💰💲│PBE.eu
CRYPTO to FIAT BTC💲💳│ How to Mine XMR/RYO and CN coins + Miners Downloads💰⛏│Guides:How to Mine AEON💰⛏
monerobiosedit@gmail.com│✅Did I help you? Give me some +Merit 🤜🤛👌
vectisitch
Legendary

Activity: 1927
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 12:45:03 PM

i think not. it's all about how many pci slots. i use some old sky 775 boards and they do just fine. And that also shows the cpu doesn't matter either if i'm using q6600 or slower cpu's
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 08:22:27 PM

For a straight-up mining rig, the only thing that matters in a motherboard is that it will actually WORK with the number of cards you can attach to it reliably.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 10:41:30 PM

For a straight-up mining rig, the only thing that matters in a motherboard is that it will actually WORK with the number of cards you can attach to it reliably.

+1
I second this, ive got an old amd motherboard that I would have never guessed it would have worked with mining had I not of tried it out. its using ddr2 ram and i cant remember the amd cpu its got but its slow, takes kinda forever for that rig to boot/reboot, lol but it runs the 2 gpus just fine and that's all that matters

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
Saifher

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 11:00:09 PM

It matters the number of slots it has for you to connect your GPUs, other than that i dont think so. You can spend the majority of your rig budget on the GPU's, not even the processor has much of an impact on the hashrate output.

jtcminer

Activity: 20

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 02:43:15 AM

Yeah, buy an ASIC from Newbie...
https://i.imgur.com/TSzE36C.jpg

You can check my other account jaki10 but hey im not judging. Thanks anyway
dbc23

Merit: 311

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 02:48:08 AM

Much like GPUs, if you're concerned about resale at all then yes.  Otherwise I'd say mobo matters no more than beyond it's ability to run the cards you want and has features you may want.  I'm thinking specifically probably wanting an m2 slot, either for an extra card or not needing a sata power channel for your hdd, and an on-board power/reset button so you don't need an aftermarket switch jumper.
CjMapope
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1092

~Full-Time Minter since 2016~

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2017, 02:58:11 AM

i would say it totally matters. Although i admit i used mostly "gaming" boards off the bat, i have also built with mining specific boards only now more recently.
Mining boards, are, well, made for mining, gaming boards are made for gaming. just consider the differences and you will see WHY they MAKE mining specific boards
I love my Z270A-Primes, but i feel like in 6 months im gonna have 24/7 continuous load problems, PCI-E lanes getting weak and shit :/
Manufacturers are now (finally) adding warranty void clauses for using gaming hardware for mining as well so keep that in mind

~Got this girl in my bed, a roof over my head, i mint a couple coins a week, and thats how i make bread~
~On the 12th day of Hatzvah, OGminer said to me: "compute root of the merkle hash tree!"~
Prohashing  -- Simply the best Multipool!
MA3A

Activity: 241
Merit: 100

To Hash or not to Hash, that's what the question

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2017, 03:18:41 AM

Manufacturers are now (finally) adding warranty void clauses for using gaming hardware for mining as well so keep that in mind
- there is no way for them prove its been used for mining, so i call it BS

https://www.facebook.com/Qubex-Denver-Data-Recovery-473541326020759/ - accepting coins as payment
www.qubexdatarecovery.info Professional data recovery service for PHYSICALLY DAMAGED (broken) DEVICES: RAID0/RAID5/HYBRID RAID/SSD/HDD/FLASH DRIVE/CELLPHONE/, ALL OS, up to LEVEL 4, ISO-10 Clean room/ISO-100 hoods, Pro tools and know-how.
Elder III

Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 03:37:42 AM

A motherboard that has been designed for mining specifically will be by and large the most hassle free and the easiest to setup for mining with 6 or more GPUs with the least troubleshooting, hair pulling, and downtime. We came to the decision that at this point we won't use anything other then dedicated mining boards. Down time is lost money, let alone the aggravation of dealing with it and losing that time to do other things that need to be done.... they just aren't worth it for us at least.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: