Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:35:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL upgrade now offered on 5ghz orders.(screenshot) YES, IT'S BACK!!  (Read 10735 times)
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:27:47 PM

VC firms don't generally do silent partner investments. We were talking about Venture Capital funds, not an angel round or rich uncle taking a stake etc.
There is no "stealth mode" consideration here since BFL has been broadcasting their intent and methods.

This is my understanding as well. If this was backed by a reputable Venture Capital firm, it more-than-likely would have been displayed prominently in the initial press release.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:45:56 PM

VC firms don't generally do silent partner investments. We were talking about Venture Capital funds, not an angel round or rich uncle taking a stake etc.
There is no "stealth mode" consideration here since BFL has been broadcasting their intent and methods.

This is my understanding as well. If this was backed by a reputable Venture Capital firm, it more-than-likely would have been displayed prominently in the initial press release.

If the VC firm didn't want to be mentioned, I'd certainly be wanting to know their cut in this...

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 06:57:05 PM

They said they have VC funding. They did not mention which VC firm (or individual) invested in them. They did not mention how much was invested in them.
There were no filings to add people to their board (which is what happens when someone puts a chunk of money into a company).

You should examine other press releases by firms who have gotten venture backing. If it is good news, they always announce the name of the firm or individual and the amount that was invested. Moreover, the firm also announces the investment and pla
News: All users of Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind versions 0.7.2 and earlier are required to upgrade to 0.8.1 or apply a manual workaround by May 15. More info.   

ces the company in their portfolio page. If the amount was paltry (like $100,000) then they probably just want to say "backed by VC" and let people presume that they have funding.

"Always"? You speak in a lot of absolutes... Ever heard of silent partners/investors? Not everybody who invests in a venture wants their name on the building, or in the newspapers.  Roll Eyes

"Generally"... A minute ago it was "Always" now it's only "generally".

Fine.

There is no single example that I can find of a Venture Capital firm attempting to keep their investment portfolio secret due to the reporting requirements forced upon them by their limited partnerships and the federal government. If BFL got anything at all, it was not from a registered VC firm.

Butterfly Labs would have added a director to their board upon investment from a VC firm which would involve a filing where they were incorporated.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
wrenchmonkey

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:05:44 PM

They said they have VC funding. They did not mention which VC firm (or individual) invested in them. They did not mention how much was invested in them.
There were no filings to add people to their board (which is what happens when someone puts a chunk of money into a company).

You should examine other press releases by firms who have gotten venture backing. If it is good news, they always announce the name of the firm or individual and the amount that was invested. Moreover, the firm also announces the investment and pla
News: All users of Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind versions 0.7.2 and earlier are required to upgrade to 0.8.1 or apply a manual workaround by May 15. More info.   

ces the company in their portfolio page. If the amount was paltry (like $100,000) then they probably just want to say "backed by VC" and let people presume that they have funding.

"Always"? You speak in a lot of absolutes... Ever heard of silent partners/investors? Not everybody who invests in a venture wants their name on the building, or in the newspapers.  Roll Eyes

"Generally"... A minute ago it was "Always" now it's only "generally".

Fine.

There is no single example that I can find of a Venture Capital firm attempting to keep their investment portfolio secret due to the reporting requirements forced upon them by their limited partnerships and the federal government. If BFL got anything at all, it was not from a registered VC firm.

Butterfly Labs would have added a director to their board upon investment from a VC firm which would involve a filing where they were incorporated.

And there you have it. Firms don't do silent partnerships, because they can't. Not all VCs work for firms. Regardless, I don't have a dog in this fight, no idea if they do or do not have any outside investment happening or not, my beef was with you speaking in absolutes. My issue was with your statements. You said "If it is good news, they always announce the name of the firm or individual and the amount that was invested." which is patently false.

[emphasis mine]

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:06:56 PM

In retrospect, something else strikes me as odd from the press release

"“Butterfly Labs has always considered itself a serious manufacturer in the SHA-256 hardware industry and our customers are leaders in providing hashing services for some of the world’s great technological challenges,” noted Nasser G, BFL CTO. “We see the BitForce SC lineup as the natural next step in continuing to meet our customer's needs.”"

I've never seen a technology press release where the CTO of a company does not give his last name.
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 07:24:57 PM

In retrospect, something else strikes me as odd from the press release

"“Butterfly Labs has always considered itself a serious manufacturer in the SHA-256 hardware industry and our customers are leaders in providing hashing services for some of the world’s great technological challenges,” noted Nasser G, BFL CTO. “We see the BitForce SC lineup as the natural next step in continuing to meet our customer's needs.”"

I've never seen a technology press release where the CTO of a company does not give his last name.

Happens all the time...just ask Sonny K. Wink

k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 08:25:47 PM

And there you have it. Firms don't do silent partnerships, because they can't.

The discussion was about whether a VC firm invested in BFL like they claimed.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

I trimmed out all the nonsensical haterade and insultifying you do. It isn't really relevant.

sniffinpoprocks (OP)

Activity: 137

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 08:57:20 PM

I can see they are offering the upgrade on Jalapenos again
WOW, I can't believe this!

“Since we decided a few weeks ago to adopt the leaf as legal tender, we have, of course, all become immensely rich.”
wrenchmonkey

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:33:47 PM

And there you have it. Firms don't do silent partnerships, because they can't. Not all VCs work for firms. Regardless, I don't have a dog in this fight, no idea if they do or do not have any outside investment happening or not, my beef was with you speaking in absolutes. My issue was with your statements. You said "If it is good news, they always announce the name of the firm or individual and the amount that was invested." which is patently false.

I trimmed out all the nonsensical haterade and insultifying you do. It isn't really relevant.
Did they say the VC was through a firm? You said "firm". I don't see where they said "firm". Actually, you said "Firm or individual" and then LATER said "Firm" and are now acting like that was your position the entire time.

You have a tendency discard any information that proves you to be wrong/lying, and post things entirely out of context; so I'll just go ahead and put that back for you. Wink

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
bassclef

Activity: 924

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:41:16 PM

Did they say the VC was through a firm? You said "firm". I don't see where they said "firm". Actually, you said "Firm or individual" and then LATER said "Firm" and are now acting like that was your position the entire time.

You have a tendency discard any information that proves you to be wrong/lying, and post things entirely out of context; so I'll just go ahead and put that back for you. Wink

Jesus, let it go man. Nobody wants to hear you two argue. Get a room.
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:48:15 PM

Unfortunately there is not one useful BFL thread on this forum, they all get trolled instantly.

Considering that forum members probably have hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions of USD invested in BFL pre-orders, I think the trolling is rather irresponsible as the members deserve useful information on their investment without the deliberate disruption of content.

I would like to see at least one heavily moderated information thread on the progress of BLF pre-orders.
th3joker

Activity: 319
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 09:58:52 PM

I upgraded mine, pretty reasonable price for 2Gh/s when you consider other options. That said it's very dependent on when they ship!!
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:30:20 PM

Unfortunately there is not one useful BFL thread on this forum, they all get trolled instantly.

Considering that forum members probably have hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions of USD invested in BFL pre-orders, I think the trolling is rather irresponsible as the members deserve useful information on their investment without the deliberate disruption of content.

Yep. Can't discuss the things that don't add up. Doing so is trolling. Blind optimism is the only acceptable response. Pirate40 and Zhou Tong did not exist.
No pessimistic views are to be offered in threads where someone asks "Should I stick with BFL?".

I would like to see at least one heavily moderated information thread on the progress of BLF pre-orders.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/
Enjoy your heavy moderation in moderation.

k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:38:59 PM

The beginning of the discussion was here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=215699.msg2305852#msg2305852

That thread contained a link to this press release:
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/6/prweb9611889.htm

Had you bothered to read the press release or the thread you would have seen:
Retail sales have continued to grow strongly, and with exponential month-to-month sales increases, the decision to back BFL was made easily. “Butterfly Labs has strong fundamentals indicative of the kind of rapid growth company we support,” the private equity group notes. “Having made bold investments in new technology, they’re poised to redefine the landscape for SHA-256 hash verification.”

The bolded part "the private equity group notes" indicates a firm. Why would they refer to an individual silent partner as a "private equity group". Also note the use of the pronoun "We" in the phrase "We support" right before the bolded part. Unless the private silent partner refers to him or herself in the plural third person, it indicates a group or syndicate of investors.

You have a tendency to flail desperately against anything that puts BFL in a negative light. Especially anything presented by me. Your ego is writing checks your fingers can't cash.

peterepeat

Activity: 237

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:43:15 PM

Retail sales have continued to grow strongly, and with exponential month-to-month sales increases, the decision to back BFL was made easily. “Butterfly Labs has strong fundamentals indicative of the kind of rapid growth company we support,” the private equity group notes. “Having made bold investments in new technology, they’re poised to redefine the landscape for SHA-256 hash verification.”

The bolded part "the private equity group notes" indicates a firm. Why would they refer to an individual silent partner as a "private equity group". Also note the use of the pronoun "We" in the phrase "We support" right before the bolded part. Unless the private silent partner refers to him or herself in the plural third person, it indicates a group or syndicate of investors.

You have a tendency to flail desperately against anything that puts BFL in a negative light. Especially anything presented by me. Your ego is writing checks your fingers can't cash.

You can be my wingman any day!
Bullshit, you can be mine!

yeah, you guys should get a room
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:45:27 PM

We have a room. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=76.0
Are you suggesting a different room?
Did I provide too many citations for my position?
Were the links too intimidating?

peterepeat

Activity: 237

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:49:15 PM

We have a room. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=76.0
Are you suggesting a different room?
Did I provide too many citations for my position?
Were the links too intimidating?

I'm loving the Top Gun theme.

please, carry on Smiley

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092099/quotes
Stinger: Maverick, you just did an incredibly brave thing. What you should have done was land your plane! You don't own that plane, the tax payers do! Son, your ego is writing checks your body can't cash. You've been busted, you lost your qualifications as section leader three times, put in hack twice by me, with a history of high speed passes over five air control towers, and one admiral's daughter!
Goose: Penny Benjamin?
[Maverick shrugs]

Iceman: You can be my wingman any time.
Maverick: Bullshit! You can be mine.
TheSwede75

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 10:50:19 PM

If you ever wanna see a a refund, better get it now, they obviously won't be able to cover for everyone.
You know they have been paying 25 employees, suppliers, facilities, Josh's life insurrance, a few Nexus 7 and fans, etc. for over a year using your "pre-order" money, right ?

It would be against the law if they touch my pre-order money. Unless they shipped my unit, they are not allowed to do so.

Once BFL goes belly up it will be interesting to see if they've broken this law.

Gray area. It's perfectly legal to use your funds to develop and ship a product AS LONG as they deliver.
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 11:10:19 PM

I upgraded mine, pretty reasonable price for 2Gh/s when you consider other options. That said it's very dependent on when they ship!!

It's not clear if the $100 gets you more hardware,  or a simple firmware parameter change.

If it's more hardware then if it would be just worth it, as the base unit costs $54.4/GH/s and the upgrade is only $50/GH/s. However if it's just a firmware change then it's not worth $100, because the labour involved would be trivial, might pay $50 max.

philips

Activity: 700

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 11:20:29 PM

It's not clear if the $100 gets you more hardware,  or a simple firmware parameter change.

If it's more hardware then if it would be just worth it, as the base unit costs $54.4/GH/s and the upgrade is only $50/GH/s. However if it's just a firmware change then it's not worth $100, because the labour involved would be trivial, might pay $50 max.

Not only a firmware change (talking about Jalapeno here though)
The 7's will have chips that do 3.5 GH/s easy . The 5's may or may not, depends.

Think AMD 7970 vs 7950.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: