Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:35:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL upgrade now offered on 5ghz orders.(screenshot) YES, IT'S BACK!!  (Read 10735 times)
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 10:46:14 AM
Last edit: May 30, 2013, 10:58:26 AM by Bitcoinorama

The delivery order is the same. Upgrading will change nothing except your unit(s) power.

Yes but someone has already stated they are using different chips for this upgrade, not just a firmware upgrade.

In which case it's new untested parts which require a new prototype and therefore means old chips they have in hand goto old design spec and presently ready sooner than the new chip based designs and orders...

Stop with your FUD, idiot.

Sorry?! Care to elaborate on that comment...?

That glaring yellow 'ignore' button you've earned seems to suggest your full of it...its's actually the darkest I've seen, yet alone on such a minor cumulative posting count.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
maqifrnswa

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:24:31 AM

The delivery order is the same. Upgrading will change nothing except your unit(s) power.

Yes but someone has already stated they are using different chips for this upgrade, not just a firmware upgrade.

In which case it's new untested parts which require a new prototype and therefore means old chips they have in hand goto old design spec and presently ready sooner than the new chip based designs and orders...

That glaring yellow 'ignore' button you've earned seems to suggest your full of it...its's actually the darkest I've seen, yet alone on such a minor cumulative posting count.

BFL's Pravda announced that it's the exact same design ASIC in the exact same board, it just has less defective engines. "Different chips" just means ones that they have found to work better than normal. They're just binning like GPUs do, find ones that work better than typical and sell them for more.

As long as you can dissipate the extra heat, there shouldn't be a problem - but BFL has had difficulty with that as of late.
Bitcoinorama

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:33:02 AM

BFL's Pravda announced that it's the exact same design ASIC in the exact same board, it just has less defective engines. "Different chips" just means ones that they have found to work better than normal. They're just binning like GPUs do, find ones that work better than typical and sell them for more.

As long as you can dissipate the extra heat, there shouldn't be a problem - but BFL has had difficulty with that as of late.

Thanks for the clarity Maqifrnswa, but Philips; the original author in this chain of comments, had stated that this was more than just a firmware update, but a hardware update as well two pages back. In which case I was pointing out to him that should it be a change of hardware that required new production it would be hard to justify his exact same place in the queue should he chose to upgrade.

Nemesis was just being an illiterate troll.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
philips

Activity: 700

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 06:48:41 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2013, 07:42:51 PM by philips

They're just binning like GPUs do, find ones that work better than typical and sell them for more.

Thanks for the clarity Maqifrnswa, but Philips; the original author in this chain of comments, had stated that this was more than just a firmware update, but a hardware update as well two pages back. In which case I was pointing out to him that should it be a change of hardware that required new production it would be hard to justify his exact same place in the queue should he chose to upgrade.

What I said is that for 100$ you will get selected chips guaranteed up to 7GH.
So a firmware update is not sufficient.
It may work or it may not for your 5GH unit.
That is why I made the 7950 vs 7970 comparison.
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 07:18:26 PM

They're just binning like GPUs do, find ones that work better than typical and sell them for more.

What I said is that for 100$ you will get selected chips guaranteed up to 7GH.
So a firmware update is not sufficient.
It may work or it may not for your 5GH unit.
That is why I made the 7950 vs 7970 comparison.

Well, lets assume you order 2 x 3.5GH/s chips to make 7GH/s. BFL has been ordering small batches of chips (a few hundred).
What happens when their 3.5GH/s bin is empty, but they still have 2.5GH/s chips. They can't make your unit until they receive more 3.5GH/s binned chips, but they can make other people's who ordered the 5GH/s unit and can use the chips they have in stock. So ordering might "affect" your position in the queue very slightly. But it probably won't be noticeable.

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
philips

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 07:26:39 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2013, 07:40:36 PM by philips

I will let you assume whatever you want.
I prefer:
Well, lets assume you order 2 x 3.5GH/s chips to make 7GH/s. BFL has been ordering small batches of chips (a few hundred).
What happens when their 2.5GH/s bin is empty, but they still have 3.5GH/s chips. They can make your unit chips, but they can't make other people's who ordered the 5GH/s unit and can use the chips they have in stock. So ordering might "affect" your position in the queue very slightly. But it probably won't be noticeable.
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 08:17:19 PM

I will let you assume whatever you want.
I prefer:
What happens when their 2.5GH/s bin is empty, but they still have 3.5GH/s chips. They can make your unit chips, but they can't make other people's who ordered the 5GH/s unit and can use the chips they have in stock. So ordering might "affect" your position in the queue very slightly. But it probably won't be noticeable.

Your converse assumption is not necessarily true. Chips binned for 3.5GH/s can also run reliably at 2.5GH/s. Chips binned @ 2.5GH/s cannot run reliably at higher rates. They can make 5GH/s units out of chips binned for 7GH/s but not vice versa.
The counter example case is:
If every chip binned at 3.5GH/s, they could make both 5GH/s and 7GH/s units out of that bin with 2 chips per unit.
If every chip binned at 2.5GH/s, they could only make 5GH/s without adding a 3rd chip (which might not be economical due to their margins).

philips

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 08:24:37 PM

It was a joke.
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 08:26:59 PM

It was a joke.

I will check for firmware upgrades for my sense of humor module.  Grin

philips

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 08:58:07 PM

It was a joke.

I will check for firmware upgrades for my sense of humor module.  Grin

In your defense I would say it was an attempted joke, and relaying jokes through forum posts is not so effective. Your current firmware might still be OK.

Anyway, we can make all kind of assumption, good or bad.
I prefer to go with the good ones, and that is why I paid.
CumpsD

Activity: 476

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 06:26:45 AM

The upgrade option to 7GH/s is back on the site
deathcode
Copper Member

Activity: 1428
Merit: 253

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 04:48:55 PM

I bought a laptop with Intel i3 a year ago which I haven't received and now they want me to pay more money for a laptop with an Intel i5 that I won't receive anytime soon.... :/

Basically, I'm paying for things I don't have and I probably won't have in the near future. Excuse my french but GO FUCK YOURSELF BFL

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 07:16:10 PM

"Always"? You speak in a lot of absolutes... Ever heard of silent partners/investors? Not everybody who invests in a venture wants their name on the building, or in the newspapers.  Roll Eyes

BFL Press Release

noted Nasser G...
now backed by private venture capital...

Red flag #1: Executives that won't post their real name.
Red flag #2, an unnamed venture firm
Red flag #3, and indeterminate amount of investment.

Sketchy, and thus likely to be misleading. Most likely it wasn't a real venture firm.

Now let's look at a real company with real venture investment.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130516005639/en/BitPay-Raises-2-Million-led-Founders-Fund
says Tony Gallippi, co-founder and CEO of BitPay...
additional $2M in seed round financing led by Founders Fund...
Also joining this round is Max Keiser’s fund Heisenberg Capital
said Brian Singerman a Partner at Founders Fund...

Executives using their real names, real verifyable venture firms, investing a real amount of money. That's how a real venture investment works.

If I had to guess, the BFL "investment" was simply Sonny using some of his stolen funds from his previous scam.

Buy & Hold
CumpsD

Activity: 476

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 07:23:06 PM

You can now also upgrade the 50GH to a 60GH one apparently
Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 08:15:33 PM

How hard would it be to just download or copy the Firmware off some one else chip? And then re wright /wright over or replace said chip/firmware?

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 08:22:20 PM

How hard would it be to just download or copy the Firmware off some one else chip? And then re wright /wright over or replace said chip/firmware?

The 60GH ones are more-than-likely using all Grade A chips, so it might not be probable to take a 50 to 60 via firmware alone.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 04:51:36 PM

How them old upgrades going?

Try the new upgrades yet?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
bcp19

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 05:13:40 PM

-another 1000 for trolling ancient posts.

I do not suffer fools gladly... "Captain!  We're surrounded!"
I embrace my inner Kool-Aid.
k9quaint
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 05:18:25 PM

People like to check back to see if predictions and speculations held true.

bcp19

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 06:54:36 PM

People like to check back to see if predictions and speculations held true.
Ah, you're so right, you can dig up all kinds of neat stuff...

Fine.

There is no single example that I can find of a Venture Capital firm attempting to keep their investment portfolio secret due to the reporting requirements forced upon them by their limited partnerships and the federal government. If BFL got anything at all, it was not from a registered VC firm.

Butterfly Labs would have added a director to their board upon investment from a VC firm which would involve a filing where they were incorporated.

Do I call you a used-to-be sock puppet now?

I do not suffer fools gladly... "Captain!  We're surrounded!"
I embrace my inner Kool-Aid.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All
  Print  

Jump to: