Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:50:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: BitCoins Supply Contraction via Mt Gox Means.....  (Voting closed: June 30, 2011, 05:23:24 PM)
Price should have gone up - less suppy more demmand - 4 (18.2%)
Price should have gone down - less cash in the system - 1 (4.5%)
Price not impacted - 8 (36.4%)
I have no idea - 9 (40.9%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BitCoins Supply Contraction vis Mt Gox Means.....  (Read 1217 times)
truthcracker (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 05:23:24 PM

Supply demand.  Mt Gox Closes - Less coins for many days holding coins, same level of demand.  Why hasn't the price shot up?  Its because most of the demand is people swapping coins between each other bidding the price up.  The vendors are net sellers (unless they are deflationary hoarders) the miners are net sellers so really what we are seeing here is

a transfer of wealth from late speculators to early adopters, who can also influence the market via their HUGE position in bitcoins.

Still like the deflationary logarithmically injected boot strap model?

PS

I love it when people say their money is tied up in Mt Gox, they have BITCOINS mostly they hope to TRADE for money.  How many people are hoping to buy goods and services for bitcoins when the exchange opens?  You all want to sell high and convert back to USD - think about it!  Its become a religion and i'm a heretic - bring on the mindless punishment until there are no 72 bitcoin virgins in speculator heaven.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
qualia8

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:11:17 PM

I have more $ in Mt.Gox than BTC.  (My acct is negative in BTC.)  If everyone is like me, then there is more pent-up cash than bitcoin in Gox.  Who knows what the ratio is on the whole?  You presume everyone has bitcoins there, but not dollars.  Any argument for that presumption?
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1309

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:28:51 PM

I have more $ in Mt.Gox than BTC.  (My acct is negative in BTC.)  If everyone is like me, then there is more pent-up cash than bitcoin in Gox.  Who knows what the ratio is on the whole?  You presume everyone has bitcoins there, but not dollars.  Any argument for that presumption?

In fact, as reported by several people on the forums (if I remember right) and on IRC, just prior to the hackcrash people were just starting to get funds cleared into Dwolla and then to MtGox.  I doubt everybody spent all their cash prior to the crash and I'm guessing there's quite a lot of USD stuck in MtGox right now.  That, in itself, might explain the flat exchange rate over the past few days (i.e. the people with the money can't use it right now).  Add to that the fact that the whole event has got people a little on edge.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: