Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:44:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [OS] UbuMiner -Free Nvidia Linux Mining Build v0.81 : Simple / Clean / 14GB  (Read 5110 times)
hatch789 (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2017, 05:31:32 PM

so in this OS's current state what does it offer that others do not? ethos does both AMD and NVidia, so why make one yourself that only plays to a smaller part of the crypto mining community? you are in fact losing out on a lot by doing so

Don't you have to pay for ethos?

So yes Minerja is right. You have to pay for EthOS. My build is going to be completely free and offer (what I hope to be) the most simple control over per-coin overclocking out of any build available.

Now yes ...as Minerja is proving (*grin*) you have to have some LINUX knowledge to use this build. Guess I need to put that in as a disclaimer! But with help of people such as him, helping to give me an outsider's view into my build; I hope to actually make something that most people (even newbies) can easily pick up and be very happy with.

AMD... I don't know that it's even worth discussing because from what I know of AMD mining. You do all the overclocking in the BIOS with updates to each card's individual BIOS. So it kinda makes my hard work all over the COIN files; obsolete! -Doesn't it?

So if AMD has relevant use for this built I will build it in. It would just be a simple matter of installing AMD video drivers and the rest of the O/S would function perfectly fine. The Overclocking part of the coin files could be ignored in those cases I guess?

But I do not own a single AMD mining-capable card, so I can't test this for myself. -Not yet at least. For now I'll forge ahead with Nvidia knowing it should be a simple matter to add AMD support later if we all decide that it would be beneficial.

Thanks,
-Hatch -= http://UbuMiner.com =-

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2017, 05:45:19 PM

So minerja ...most of your initial 4 or 5 boots and the resulting issues sound like the 1st boot routine (which installs the nvidia drivers for you) was failing. Not a serious error ...enough that you were seeing FAILED! -But the drivers for nvidia were clearly not being properly installed.

That would probably be a problem reaching the Repository or something like that. -It did something but not the whole driver install.

Once you finally had that you had proper resolution -OK GOOD. That also explains the 640x480 resolution for a while! I will work to make that part better. I have not experienced the 640x480 resolution myself but I will see if I can and if so I'll find a way to make that better!

Now regarding the crontab edit. You do not want to edit the crontab and remove the # (comment) from the last line in there, until you're sure that your miner is working properly in manual mode.

You test manual mode by simply typing [ mine ] nothing more.

That will invoke your ~/Mining/CoinOptions file and pick the mining option you have setup in there.

As you found out screen -ls can show you open screens. If you have an open screen (just 1) you can simply do screen -r to swap into that screen. If you have multiple ones, you need to do something like screen -r 3464 to get to a specific screen and kill it. In case you opened 2 by accident. -This just gave me an idea. I will have it check for an existing mining session and maybe even have it toss you INTO that existing session if you type mine while it's already running. Smiley -How's that?

See things I don't realize people even might do ...you have been quite helpful already.

Thanks,
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2017, 05:56:17 PM

Also guess I took this for granted as well, but if you are in your mining screen and want to leave (so it keeps mining in the background) you use CTRL-A CTRL-D to get out of it.

SO that's just press CTRL then holding that down you press A then press D. Poof you're out of screen and back at a normal terminal.

The reason you're getting TEST mode... that was a MISS on my part. I'll fix that in the next release. Sorry! If you look in the CoinOptions file you will see that it has the word TEST at the end of the 1st line. So my apologies. That's to be used for testing purposes obviously like when you're trying  a new miner out and unsure that it's working properly. It helps to keep the "ERROR" on the screen instead of just dumping back to a terminal and you don't know why.

I was testing zm miner for a friend and accidentally left that in the TOP line.

Thanks for the .002 ZEN donation! -I guess it's my first official donation worth 1.7 cents! -Not too shabby.  Grin

Thanks,
GaryH

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 03:05:48 PM

Sorry I have been crazy busy lately guys. Has anyone tried v0.72 on their rigs? I am hoping some people will have favorable results without needing to use Recovery Mode to get past their first boot. I will be doing some more testing this weekend and making adjustments as necessary.

Got home late last night and downloaded v0.72 and put it on my Lexar USB stick.  Had about 30 mins this morning to unplug the SSD and fire up using Ubuminer.  Desktop came up first time and resolution was probably 640 x 480.  Desktop was very slow and finally the mouse showed up and rolling over the left menu buttons could take 30 seconds for them to come up.  Didn't have much time to do anything else so I'll look at it again tonight.  My rig has a ASUS PRIME Z270-A mobo with 5 x 1070 GPUs. 

Also is Ubuminer able to use the onboard video display or do I need to plug it into my GPU?  I had the monitor plugged into the GPU since I've tried nvOC before--figured it was the same config.
GaryH

View Profile
September 30, 2017, 11:15:55 PM

looks like your website is down   Embarrassed
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2017, 02:34:56 AM

Sorry I have been crazy busy lately guys. Has anyone tried v0.72 on their rigs? I am hoping some people will have favorable results without needing to use Recovery Mode to get past their first boot. I will be doing some more testing this weekend and making adjustments as necessary.

Got home late last night and downloaded v0.72 and put it on my Lexar USB stick.  Had about 30 mins this morning to unplug the SSD and fire up using Ubuminer.  Desktop came up first time and resolution was probably 640 x 480.  Desktop was very slow and finally the mouse showed up and rolling over the left menu buttons could take 30 seconds for them to come up.  Didn't have much time to do anything else so I'll look at it again tonight.  My rig has a ASUS PRIME Z270-A mobo with 5 x 1070 GPUs. 

Also is Ubuminer able to use the onboard video display or do I need to plug it into my GPU?  I had the monitor plugged into the GPU since I've tried nvOC before--figured it was the same config.

Hi Gary, I'm working on v0.73 now with some improvements but I suspect the odd 640x480 that people are reporting is due to the new setting I have in the grub menu: nomodeset. I did this to try to eliminate the issues people were having with nouveau startup. Doing some more testing myself on v0.72 to see if I can replicate this issue and then maybe fix it in v0.73 or make it better.

As far as my website being down, it appears to be fine but maybe there was a problem a few hours ago? -Not sure. Please let me know if you can not reach the site once you read this message.

Thanks,
car1999

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 03:00:28 AM

Finally I've booted it up, but I answered lots of questions on the 1st or 2nd boot, that was not a good experience. If I want to use Ubuminer in 10 or more rigs, that will be even terrible.
I'd suggest learn somethings from raspberry pi or nvOC, make a small disk partition, users drop config file to the partition on windows or mac, UbuMiner load the config file during booting and do all the configs automatically.
GaryH

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 01:40:42 PM

As far as my website being down, it appears to be fine but maybe there was a problem a few hours ago? -Not sure. Please let me know if you can not reach the site once you read this message.

Website works fine now.  One of the issues I've noticed both with Ubuminer and nvOC is my USB speeds are terrible.  Last night I finally put the image on an old 5400 rpm 80 gb HDD and boom I had fast boot up.  Hopefully tonight I have some more time to throw a new 0.72 image back on the HDD and see how it goes--USB sticks are out of the question unless I find a USB setting in the BIOS that's slowing the system down.  

I do like the option of setting clocks by coin and look forward to trying out dstm's miner.  Thanks for your time and commitment!
GaryH

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 10:34:35 PM
Last edit: October 01, 2017, 11:26:01 PM by GaryH

Put v.72 on the HDD and booted up with no issues.  Ran the first script that installed Nvidia drivers with no issues, also the second script ran fine.  Didn't configure crontab since it I wanted to check out the zm miner.

I set a hostname of "Rig"  (without the quotes) and each time I used the mine command I saw this error:
 sudo: unable to resolve host Rig

attached to the screen of the miner and since I was using zen.suprnova.cc I see that GPU0 connected to suprnova, and GPU0 server set difficulty, but I got an error:  protocol version 0000020 not supported.

Went over to dstm's link and found he has a newer .5 version so I downloaded it and put it in the .3.2 directory on Ubuminer.  Then I tried mining again and it looks like every GPU  (0-4) connected to Suprnova and of course I received an error:  authorization failed.

So .72 works great, I just need to figure out this zm version.

Edit:  looked at dstm's thread, looks like zm connects each GPU to the pool..  interesting...
Edit2:  figured out the authorization failed--suprnova is a bit different--required edit in ZEN.coin file

GaryH

View Profile
October 01, 2017, 11:30:50 PM
Last edit: October 02, 2017, 01:36:44 AM by GaryH

Fired up zm and each GPU connected to suprnova with no issues.

Started mining but didn't hear the GPU fans making their normal speedup sounds.  Kept waiting and I hit 63C on my MSI 1070 before I pulled the plug--card has never went above 53C.  I looked at my photo where sudo can't set the hostname and I don't see any fan control commands.  In nvOC you can either set manual fan speeds or auto, but I don't see anything as far as fan control in Ubuminer.
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2017, 02:58:37 AM

Fired up zm and each GPU connected to suprnova with no issues.

Started mining but didn't hear the GPU fans making their normal speedup sounds.  Kept waiting and I hit 63C on my MSI 1070 before I pulled the plug--card has never went above 53C.  I looked at my photo where sudo can't set the hostname and I don't see any fan control commands.  In nvOC you can either set manual fan speeds or auto, but I don't see anything as far as fan control in Ubuminer.

I can add that to UbuMiner if people would like that. But then you'd just run with a static fan speed the entire time unless I take time to add a sort of temp watchdog like nvOC has. I can do that but in reality that was one of the reasons I walked away from nvOC. The watchdogs kept doing things to the system that I didn't necessarily care for or want. It's easy to put in if you'd like a static speed for the fans though. And as with the OverClock I can provide the fan control on a PER CARD basis.

I'll add this into v0.73

Regarding your hostname error, that's really odd? So right now in your hostname file you have no extra whitespace at the end of your RigName? -Sounds like something odd is going on there. I have never had an issue with that ever. If you figure out why you're getting the error can you please let me know?

Thanks,
GaryH

View Profile
October 02, 2017, 10:52:31 AM

manual fan speeds would be great.  I imagine I have a weird character or two in my rigname since when I was setting it, I typed one character then it went to the next line (640x480mode) and I probably messed up.  Once you have v0.73 up I'll try again with the fan speeds.

So without a manual fan speed setting and no temp watchdogs, are you saying that Ubuntu can't control the GPU fan speeds automatically?
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2017, 11:45:41 AM

You guys keep talking about this 640x480 thing. Can you take a picture and attach it to this thread for me please? I do NOT see this and I have not been able to replicate what you and minerja are referring to.

The TERMINAL window is not very large, but you can simply maximize the window size just like any window. Hopefully that's not what you guys meant? You can make any window as big or small as you like, just like in Windows O/S.

I was up until 1:30 last night working on manual fan control. It's in now and working properly I started writing a little routine [ fanset ] to allow you the ability to set fans individually on a running rig until you get to the temp that you want. Then you can add the values you like into your .coin file. But I ran out of steam and had to get to bed. That routine is not yet finished.

I will however let v0.73 go ahead and build and publish here this morning even though that routine is unfinished because the new .coin files a overclocking are definitely working as they should. Later today when I get a chance I'll finish up the fanset routine and publish v0.74 with that in it.

Also, GaryH, you can run the firstboot routine again to try setting your rig-name to something different. Please test that and let me know if it works properly. Just say do that one part and say NO to all other prompts in firstboot. You will need to let the machine restart to have the new name take effect. If you find it was an odd character, I will put that in notes for people to NOT use odd characters.

So please remember to get me a screenshot or picture of this odd 640 x 480 stuff you guys are talking about!

Thanks,
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2017, 06:36:27 PM

v0.73 is up now guys and it has fan control built in on a per card per coin basis. I am going to add more functionality around the fan control in the next version but for now I wanted to get this out for people like GaryH to at least have something they can use.

Gary for the record I don't know that I have any of my running COOLER than 65 C ...most are in the 70 - 80 range. 65 is crazy cool. You must live in a crypt! LOL

Thanks,
GaryH

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 01:30:02 AM

v0.73 is up now guys and it has fan control built in on a per card per coin basis. I am going to add more functionality around the fan control in the next version but for now I wanted to get this out for people like GaryH to at least have something they can use.

Gary for the record I don't know that I have any of my running COOLER than 65 C ...most are in the 70 - 80 range. 65 is crazy cool. You must live in a crypt! LOL

I run Nvidia's and from what I've read once they reach a certain temp they will throttle themselves back so I keep them fairly cool.  The hottest card the MSI 1070 runs @ 53C whereas the Asus 1070 Strix's are @ 46C.  Right now my rig is running in the basement, but once the winter temps hit it will be upstairs warming the living room/kitchen.

Since I don't believe I can upload pictures yet, I made a video using a Gopro but didn't realize the lighting was as bad as it was.  It shows the 640x480 resolution and also the same sudo error.  Should of edited more of the dead space out but wanted to get the video posted tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsriceuzKzY&feature=youtu.be
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2017, 02:38:39 PM
Last edit: October 03, 2017, 03:05:50 PM by hatch789

I run Nvidia's and from what I've read once they reach a certain temp they will throttle themselves back so I keep them fairly cool.  The hottest card the MSI 1070 runs @ 53C whereas the Asus 1070 Strix's are @ 46C.  Right now my rig is running in the basement, but once the winter temps hit it will be upstairs warming the living room/kitchen.

Since I don't believe I can upload pictures yet, I made a video using a Gopro but didn't realize the lighting was as bad as it was.  It shows the 640x480 resolution and also the same sudo error.  Should of edited more of the dead space out but wanted to get the video posted tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsriceuzKzY&feature=youtu.be

Gary, thank you the video was awesome. I have not run into the 640x480 thing on my rigs but you are the 2nd to report it so it seems to be something with particular motherboards. I would LOVE to get to a stable point where I can already have the proper nvidia 384 drivers installed for everyone but people reported HORRIBLE issues when booting when I tried that back in version 0.70. I will continue to try to get that working for people since obviously I don't want you guys to have to install drivers on first-boot. It's only there because I can't seem to get a stable boot for the masses without it. Undecided

The video was awesome, so thank you for sending it ...that way I got to see exactly what happened for you. Regarding that odd sudo error try this. Run firstboot again and try changing your rig-name to something else? Maybe it doesn't like miner as rig name since the user is also miner. Just put in TEST or something for a quick trial. You can say NO to the other questions and then let the system reboot. I'd be curious to see if that fixes your issue.

I'm also going to default the crontab question to y/N since that was a miss on my part. I only want people to enable mining on startup once they're sure things are running properly.

So thank you again for the video. I have some new things to put in the next build. Make a backup of your coin files with the backup-coins command so you can easily get back to a running state as you try new builds.

I will be working hard to add new features and capabilities in newer versions as time allows.

Thanks,
GaryH

View Profile
October 03, 2017, 11:37:07 PM

so I ran the First Boot Script and changed the hostname to TEST.  Still get SUDO errors so I did a quick Google search and the issue is TEST needs to be in the /etc/hosts file which it isn't.

I only had these entries:
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 Ubu

So I added:  127.0.1.1 TEST and all the SUDO errors are gone.  Even fired up the miner and it applied all the undervolt/OC/fan settings with no SUDO errors.  My guess is the First Boot script either isn't pushing the hostname into the /etc/hosts file or it doesn't have permissions to do so?

From the video you can see I figured out how to change coins and choose the miner by editing Coinoptions, but I saw the mine.sh script and wondered if you set up a more programmatic way?  I just edit the Coinoptions then type in mine and it fires right up.

Nice having an Ubuntu mining OS with coin files, easy enough I can use it for any mining!  Thanks again hatch789.
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2017, 04:16:05 AM

Sure thing Gary. I will add the update to hosts file as well. My rigs don't care but obviously some must. No problem, easy fix for me to do that for everyone.

Yes the CoinOptions file is how you pick your coin to mine. Make sure you edit your .coin files with your hardware settings, pool info and coin addresses.

I will keep adding more features as I get feedback.

Thanks,
GaryH

View Profile
October 04, 2017, 07:40:26 PM

Perhaps the difference is I'm putting the image on a HDD as my USB drive speeds suck from what I can tell.  Maybe I should put the image on a USB drive and see if I have the same issue.  
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2017, 08:07:56 PM

Perhaps the difference is I'm putting the image on a HDD as my USB drive speeds suck from what I can tell.  Maybe I should put the image on a USB drive and see if I have the same issue.  

No that should not make a difference. I burn the image to HDD's also and USB acts identical. So the problem is most likely how your main router is handling DHCP (DNS) in your network. I will fix this by updating the hosts file. It's an easy fix ...don't worry.

Thanks,
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: