Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:38:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [OS] UbuMiner -Free Nvidia Linux Mining Build v0.81 : Simple / Clean / 14GB  (Read 5107 times)
texpiecoin

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 01:16:07 AM

@hatch789, I think I found the problem with the NVIDIA drivers not installing.  Your image comes with a hostname of Ubu.  Your first script is to request a new hostname, however you only change /etc/hostname.  You don't update /etc/hosts which is still pointing 127.0.0.1 to Ubu.  As a results, sudo throws an error and doesn't download the NVDIA drivers.  Once I updated both manually, your first script ran fine and the machine rebooted with a higher resolution.  Hope this helps.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
starl1ng

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 09:56:59 AM

Hi! Is it possible to download source code and compile your miner on another dist, like Fedora and CentOS?
VoskCoin

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2017, 11:34:52 PM

How’s the stability with this, who’s been running it for a couple weeks now?

Check out my Crypto YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/VoskCoin
If you enjoy my content click Subscribe
texpiecoin

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 01:05:53 AM

@VoskCoin I have been running for a few days and other than the issue I posted above, it's been great.  Very stable so far.

BTW - I love your YouTube channel.

VoskCoin

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487

YouTube.com/VoskCoin

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2017, 05:48:46 AM

@VoskCoin I have been running for a few days and other than the issue I posted above, it's been great.  Very stable so far.

BTW - I love your YouTube channel.

How would you compare it with smOS or nvOC?

haha that’s awesome man I’m glad to hear that Cheesy

Check out my Crypto YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/VoskCoin
If you enjoy my content click Subscribe
texpiecoin

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 09:50:06 PM

I have never tried smOS as I keep seeing YouTube videos complaining how slow it is.  From what I understand it's controlled through some outside website, which I don't care for from a security point of view.  I tried nvOC after seeing one of your videos (I think it was yours), but it crashed right away on a rig that had a mixture of 1080Ti and 1070.  I just built a rig with all 1070 hybrid and I should try nvOC again.  Sorry I can't give you more detailed comparison. 

So far my only complaint is that I can't seem to effectively overclock my cards.  I don't know if it's the cards themselves being hybrid cards or if it's Linux and the nVidia drivers.

hatch789 (OP)

Activity: 66

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2017, 02:52:00 AM

I've updated Ubuminer to v0.74 tonight at the behest of some bug fixes and other items. Sorry I have been so busy lately. I will try to get another update out shortly with some new mining software embedded in it.

Thanks,
-Hatch -= http://UbuMiner.com =-
NameTaken

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 11:32:25 PM

I've updated Ubuminer to v0.74 tonight at the behest of some bug fixes and other items. Sorry I have been so busy lately. I will try to get another update out shortly with some new mining software embedded in it.
I had some free time this weekend so I finally downloaded and checked out this OS. Coming from a sysadmin background, using cron and screen to run the miner makes me cringe especially when all major distributions have adopted systemd for service/log management. On the plus side, the OS is not running any scripts on startup by default so I can run my own ansible-playbook for configuration management.
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2017, 06:20:14 PM

I had some free time this weekend so I finally downloaded and checked out this OS. Coming from a sysadmin background, using cron and screen to run the miner makes me cringe especially when all major distributions have adopted systemd for service/log management. On the plus side, the OS is not running any scripts on startup by default so I can run my own ansible-playbook for configuration management.

I didn't feel there was a need for functionality beyond the CRON and even that is something people do not get on startup. It's something you add after you have your system stable and all GPU's responding and operating. I have a hard time with cheap riser cards so I appreciate being able to reboot many times while fiddling with the riser cards and GPU's in my system. Once it's all stable I then uncomment the lines in Crontab to enable auto mining.

A big problem I'm having is that I use a VM (VirtualBox) to build the Master Image and can't get the video drivers to be installed reliably. If I add them to the image then people have failed startups and lockups with the image once they boot up the first time. I can't seem to get past this main issue otherwise I would have CUDA and Nvidia drivers built right into the base image.

It's where I'm trying to go but causing me a lot of frustration. Any help in this area or advice is appreciated! I do have several people using and loving the build. I am currently working on getting ETN (Electroneum into the v0.80) release. But the darn driver issue is killing me.

Thanks,
NameTaken

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 19, 2017, 02:05:37 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2017, 02:58:45 AM by NameTaken

I didn't feel there was a need for functionality beyond the CRON and even that is something people do not get on startup. It's something you add after you have your system stable and all GPU's responding and operating. I have a hard time with cheap riser cards so I appreciate being able to reboot many times while fiddling with the riser cards and GPU's in my system. Once it's all stable I then uncomment the lines in Crontab to enable auto mining.

A big problem I'm having is that I use a VM (VirtualBox) to build the Master Image and can't get the video drivers to be installed reliably. If I add them to the image then people have failed startups and lockups with the image once they boot up the first time. I can't seem to get past this main issue otherwise I would have CUDA and Nvidia drivers built right into the base image.

It's where I'm trying to go but causing me a lot of frustration. Any help in this area or advice is appreciated! I do have several people using and loving the build. I am currently working on getting ETN (Electroneum into the v0.80) release. But the darn driver issue is killing me.
I wrote an ansible role for automatically configuring PPA, driver, kernel module, xorg.conf, lightdm so I prefer the current state without Nvidia driver preinstalled. For running the miner, I use an ansible systemd service file template like

Code:
[Unit]
Description=Zcash Service
Wants=lightdm.service network-online.target
After=lightdm.service network-online.target
Conflicts=ccminer.service

[Service]
Environment=DISPLAY=:0
ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID
ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/nvidia-smi -pl {{ gpu_watt }}
ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/nvidia-settings \
    -a "GPUFanControlState=1" \
    -a "GPUPowerMizerMode=1" \
    -a "GPUTargetFanSpeed={{ gpu_fan }}" \
    -a "GPUGraphicsClockOffset[3]={{ gpu_core }}" \
    -a "GPUMemoryTransferRateOffset[3]={{ gpu_mem }}"

ExecStart=/opt/dstm/zm \
    --telemetry=0.0.0.0:12345 \
    --server {{ pool_url }} \
    --port {{ pool_port }} \
    --user {{ pool_user }} \
    --pass {{ pool_password }}

ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/nvidia-settings \
    -a "GPUGraphicsClockOffset[3]=0" \
    -a "GPUMemoryTransferRateOffset[3]=0"

User=1000
KillMode=mixed
Restart=always
RestartSec=10s
TimeoutStopSec=10
Nice=-20
ProtectSystem=full
ProtectHome=yes

[Install]
WantedBy=graphical.target
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2017, 08:58:59 PM

Merry Christmas Everyone!!! Ho Ho Ho... Ubuminer v0.80 is here.

Sorry I have been busy lately with patent work in my evening (spare) time and many ugly projects at my day job which have me stressed out. Finally had some time to do this for everyone. Lots of Christmas goodies in the last 2 releases v0.74 and this one v0.08 so I hope this is a big Christmas gift to everyone.

I have added the Electronium (ETN) Miner using the xmr-stak software. Did a ton of additions, fixes and updates in the last 2 builds so here you go:

2017-12-23
-Fixed a nasty (dangerous) bug with the statement that evaluated the FAN setting
   -Ensured that if a fan setting was missed or if there was no fan line in the coin file at all that things would still be OK
   -The script sets the state of the fan control to 0 (Auto) instead of an actual zero percentage now
-Installed the CUDA repository to the build to allow for many new miners to be used without fuss
-Installed GIT into the build to allow for new miners to be installed from the git repository
-Added the new *** Electroneum Miner *** for Nvidia GPU's ( xmr-stak 2.1.0 31a0784 ) ...This little miner is great and runs on very low power
   -It is pre-configured in this version so hopefully it will be Plug-N-Play for you. I will be anxious for feedback on the forum
   -I also included 4 different pools in the ETN.coin file for you so you should be up and running in minutes
   -Added a line in the ETN.coin file to remove the nvidia.txt, cpu.txt & config.txt before the miner fires
      -Did this because if you are making changes to a system (ex: adding GPU Cards) the nvidia.txt can mess you up
      -You can comment this line out if you're in production mode and would like to actually tweak these files for better performance
   -Added DIFF (Difficulty) setting to the ETN coin file so you can set static difficulty. Comment this line out to use variable difficulty
      -When tuning static difficulty for a rig you want to press R (Report) from the running miner and aim for results every 60 seconds
-Further improved the WatchDog script to now monitor for dead GPU states (nvidia-smi shows this)
   -When it sees this condition it writes to you WatchDog.log file and then attempts to reboot your rig for you
   -The routine works well for me on one of my problematic rigs. I hope it works as well for you
   -Added a line to display the date/time in the WatchDog script so you can prevent a conflict if you want to kick mining off manually.
      -Had this happen during testing and seeing the date will prevent that in the future.
-Added a line to the CyberPower PowerPanel UPS install script to clean up the install .deb file after the install

2017-12-14
-Fixed the bug that was preventing the miner from starting up on certain systems where it seemed to care about the /etc/ hosts 127.0.1.1 name
   -Did this by updating the /etc/ hosts file in addition to the /etc/ hostname file when a user picks a rig name
-Added new functionality to the COIN file fan settings whereby a 0 or 00 in the appropriate FAN column will let the fan for that GPU on AUTO
   -A value in the fan column other than 0 or 00 will actually set that GPU's fan to the static manual setting of your choosing 01 - 100%
   -Please note that this is the fan speed percentage and not a temp setting
-Added a new WatchDog functionality to the build (shout out to my buddy Spanks for pushing me to do it)
   -This is a very simple watchdog the just looks for the miner "screen" to stop and if it has stopped it restarts mining
   -Please note this will NOT help you if you have an error on your BUS or a bad riser card or hash is at ZERO (but still mining)
   -This only really helps the situation where the pool goes down or your internet connection goes down and the miner stops
   -ZEN coin pools seem to have this happen a lot.
   -There is a WatchDog.log file in the Mining directory now to show you whenever the WatchDog routine saved your ass -Thank you Spanks!
-Performed a bunch of system updates through aptitude to keep the build up to date and fresh for everyone
<<>>Still need to finish the fanset.sh command so you can tweak fan settings on a running rig
   <<>>Plan to have it take 2 switches, GPU ## or ALL for first paramater and then ## for speed percentage.

Thanks,
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2017, 11:33:12 PM

Well I just had a chance to test v0.80 on my first machine ...today was very busy. It was a full rig that had been running with an older version of UbuMiner and I just put the new burned USB drive in and fired it up.

Guess I got my early Christmas present also because it appears that the CUDA install also seemed to successfully install the Nvidia drivers 387.26 ...so maybe this was the issue all along?

But now the install and first-boot are faster than ever. I'm going to start making a modified v0.81 but you can do the following to be up and running quick with v0.80

1. Run FirstBoot script from the desktop and SKIP the Nvidia Driver questions.
2. Do NOT reboot at the end of the FirstBoot script since you already have Nvidia Drivers installed.
3. Open a Terminal and type "gpus" and ensure you can see all of your GPUS properly. It should run fast, no lag and be almost an instant response.
4. If not you will need to fix your hardware issue and maybe reboot a few times in that process. Lag on the "gpus" command indicates an issue with a riser card or your motherboard.
5. Once you see all of your GPUs when you execute the "gpus" command from the terminal, and it is a fast response, you are all set.
7. Now Run 2nd boot and let it do its thing.
8. You can even remove the 2 comments at the end of the crontab to start auto-mining Electroneum. Mine some hash into my wallet if you want to TIP me.
9. Let it do the reboot just for good measure!

I'll start working on v0.81 to clean it up and test it with my 2 different types of motherboards. Oh and YES this still all fits nicely with plenty of room leftover, on a 16G Flash Drive.

Merry Christmas Indeed!

Thanks,
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2017, 08:12:57 AM

Did you adjust your coin file for the number of GPUs that you have? You need space before and after the set of values on each line just as the example coin file shows for 7 cards.

I will add a comment in version 81 remind people that those values are space padded, both before and after.

Thanks,
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2017, 04:13:56 AM

OK Guys Merry Christmas to all Smiley

Here is version 0.81 with the new tweaks and fixes for the v0.80 that I released the other day. This one should be more straight-forward and no messing around. Enjoy! Please give me feedback and let me know how it works for you!

Thanks,
hatch789 (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2018, 09:43:46 PM

Just build v0.82 last night and will be doing some testing here at home with it. This build is pretty nice and eliminates a number of annoying things with xmr-stak messages on startup. Plus (forgot to mention this before) it has been compiled with a 0% mining fee in XMR.

I'm trying to decide on the default pool I want to put into the coin file as the main ETN coin. I have some ideas but that decision is still up in the air.

How many of you would like this simply because it's auto-configured out of the "stick" with ETN mining right away ready to go 0% fees?  Wink

Thanks,
huglester

Activity: 49
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 03, 2018, 06:47:17 PM

Hello.
no new versions/features?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: